OT: - Kentucky Female Sprinter Hits The Jackpot | The Boneyard

OT: Kentucky Female Sprinter Hits The Jackpot

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Abbie Steiner coming out of Kentucky just signed the richest deal with Puma. Said to be $2Mil and 2Mil a year. 100 and 200 specialties, though she can lay down a mean 400. Been following her just 4 months. She has an otherworldly end of race acceleration and pretty flawless form. Channeling Secretariat in the Preakness she showed what kind of 400 she can throw down in the NCAA outdoors last month running the third leg of a 4x4 relay. Worth a look.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve seen Steiner run a few times. She has amazing power in her legs with the ability to routinely run down competitors in the stretch.

Her deal with Puma sounds very similar to the deal that Nike gave to Athing Mu. I forsee a great matchup in the 400 with Mu moving down from the 800 and Steiner moving up from the 200.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I coached female track & field, ranges Jr. High, High School and Jr. Olympics stating my CV just for reference. I have seen a few runners that had a similar arm swing as Abbie however I have never seen anyone with her style rise to the top. Her form is considered counterproductive by every coach I know. She is truly unique in style and results. I love watching her acceleration and turnover. Her leg of the 4x400 was a thing of beauty. I can wait for a matchup with Mu, for the time being both have their lanes and are the best at them. I don't anticipate Abbie and Mu racing each other in the 400m race until after the Worlds.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More detailed clip which shows alot of examples of her accelerating past runners like they are standing still

And it is interesting to see the public interest with the large number of comments and views dwarfing WBB

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Both of my children ran youth track & field. It's very adictive. Easy to become hooked watching your kid’s club run and participate every week. After awhile, you get to know all of the girls. Some of those young girls could fly. The young lady that ran anchor for our 4x100 relay team never lost a lead.

On several occasions she ran down a runner in front of her. I miss those days. Spending our spring and summer Saturday's at AAU track meets in the late 70’s/early 80’s. I sure our club would have a reunion. I’d love to see them today. They are all over 50 years old.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I coached female track & field, ranges Jr. High, High School and Jr. Olympics stating my CV just for reference. I have seen a few runners that had a similar arm swing as Abbie however I have never seen anyone with her style rise to the top. Her form is considered counterproductive by every coach I know. She is truly unique in style and results. I love watching her acceleration and turnover. Her leg of the 4x400 was a thing of beauty. I can wait for a matchup with Mu, for the time being both have their lanes and are the best at them. I don't anticipate Abbie and Mu racing each other in the 400m race until after the Worlds.
Steiner’s arm swing across her body, rather than straight down the track, is certainly not the way you would coach her, but it definitely works for Steiner. As I learned many years ago watching Bullet Bob Hayes win the 100 at the 1964 Olympics. Some people are just plain fast, notwithstanding any flaws in their technique.

UHF

Reaction Score
Steiner’s arm swing across her body, rather than straight down the track, is certainly not the way you would coach her, but it definitely works for Steiner. As I learned many years ago watching Bullet Bob Hayes win the 100 at the 1964 Olympics. Some people are just plain fast, notwithstanding any flaws in their technique.

Agree.

Michael Johnson won Gold Medals in the Olympics and World Championships with a "different" running style. Hope that Abby Steiner's running style will lead her to USA Championships and eventually to the Olympics. Time will tell.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'll never forget watching Michael Johnson, who had one of the most unorthodox running styles in a champion of all time. Steiner's isn't as unique as his, although hers is certainly unique as well. As for the matchup with Mu, well, Mu has never really been challenged since her ascension. I just see Mu's ceiling being higher than Steiner's. It's a shame an Olympic champion as dominant as Mu hasn't received a contract close to what Steiner just received.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll never forget watching Michael Johnson, who had one of the most unorthodox running styles in a champion of all time. Steiner's isn't as unique as his, although hers is certainly unique as well. As for the matchup with Mu, well, Mu has never really been challenged since her ascension. I just see Mu's ceiling being higher than Steiner's. It's a shame an Olympic champion as dominant as Mu hasn't received a contract close to what Steiner just received.
Mu has a 7 figure contract with Nike, including incentives for her 2 gold medals in the summer Olympics. A potential matchup between Steiner and Mu in the 400 would be intriguing. Steiner has more “top end” speed. But Mu runs like a gazelle with a long, easy pace that eats up distance with every stride.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I’ve seen Steiner run a few times. She has amazing power in her legs with the ability to routinely run down competitors in the stretch.

Her deal with Puma sounds very similar to the deal that Nike gave to Athing Mu. I forsee a great matchup in the 400 with Mu moving down from the 800 and Steiner moving up from the 200.
Both are great stories. I watched the USATF championships to select the team for the worlds later this month in Oregon - Mu has totally dominated the 800 until the finals - fellow American Ajee Wilson almost ran her down. Mu barely won - by about 1/10 of a second. Should be a very exciting worlds!!

Reaction Score
Abby ran four races in the qualifying rounds on Thursday had Friday off and ran the four finals on Saturday.She recovered and won The Nationals in a time of 22.77 a personal best. Besides running in the open 400 at the world championships she will probably be on the 4 x 4 relay team.The favorite in the 400 meters is Shericka Jackson of Jamaica she has run 21.55 a week ago.As far as Abby running a 400 against Mu I don’t see that happening any time soon.Also you would need to add Sydney McLaughlin to the mix who just set another World record in the 400 intermediate hurdles.Someone mentioned in a previous post about Michael Johnson unorthodox form Johnson had a long torso and short legs.

Reaction Score
Abby ran four races in the qualifying rounds on Thursday had Friday off and ran the four finals on Saturday.She recovered and won The Nationals in a time of 22.77 a personal best. Besides running in the open 400 at the world championships she will probably be on the 4 x 4 relay team.The favorite in the 400 meters is Shericka Jackson of Jamaica she has run 21.55 a week ago.As far as Abby running a 400 against Mu I don’t see that happening any time soon.Also you would need to add Sydney McLaughlin to the mix who just set another World record in the 400 intermediate hurdles.Someone mentioned in a previous post about Michael Johnson unorthodox form Johnson had a long torso and short legs.
I'm also doubtful about seeing Abby and Athing competing for gold in the same event. Abby's best event is 200m and Athing, 800m. Sprint vs middle-distance. Either might run a relay leg at 400,. but neither will be the star of that show at the pro level. Is it Shericka's year to bring home some medals from the worlds? I think so, and perhaps not only in the 400m. She's looking incredibly solid at the moment.

Reaction Score
Did you not see the post that said Mu had a similar contract with Nike? Mu is making $600,000 per year plus incentives. It is certain that she is making 7 figures so I’m not sure she’s been slighted in any way as per her contract! As to them matching up in the 400, I would think neither would be at their best, so I guess I just don’t see the point.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The crazy thing about Abby's leg in the 4x400 is that it was her 4th race of the day, following the 100m, 200m, and 4x100 finals.
That's incredible!!! That kind of performance is “proof positive” of her being an elite athlete. I think it's fair to say she's getting the absolute most out of her body. :cool:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
That end of race acceleration I mentioned. Here she breaks the college 200 record in a fastest in the world for 2022 performance:

She runs like a girl!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She runs like a girl!
Maybe that's why so many of the other girl sprinters don't like her. Before the NCAAs a rumor started to spread that she was burned out. So much for that one huh.

Reaction Score
There is a girl in the UK who is going to give Mu a run for her money. I think Mu has more in the tank still though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is a girl in the UK who is going to give Mu a run for her money. I think Mu has more in the tank still though.
Keely Hodgkinson, who just ran a 1:57.20 800 meters. Mu’s best time is 1:57.01.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom