OT: - Kentucky “none-and-done” Hamidou Diallo will likely go up against Wednesday’s deadline before dec | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Kentucky “none-and-done” Hamidou Diallo will likely go up against Wednesday’s deadline before dec

Reaction Score
Once again, I am not seeing this sentiment anywhere outside of bitter UConn fans. Are there anonymous quotes from front office personal floating out there that corroborate this, or something like that? I'm afraid that you are one of the few people who believes this.

Yup, definitely some jilted UConn fans... He did not come here; the best thing for him to do for his career was to go to Kentucky. The husky shaped glasses cloud some of our perceptions.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Once again, I am not seeing this sentiment anywhere outside of bitter UConn fans. Are there anonymous quotes from front office personal floating out there that corroborate this, or something like that? I'm afraid that you are one of the few people who believes this.

I do remember seeing a scout say that. I'm not gonna try to find it though, because I don't care that much about the argument.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
If he had enrolled for September 2016 with the intention to play in 2016-17, he would have enrolled at UConn because he wouldn't have played behind Kentucky's players. And that was what was in his best interest.

Exposure is not what he needed, everybody knew about him, he needed playing experience and development, and that's what UConn would have provided and should have been pitching him on.
What example can Ollie use to convince him? What blue chip stud has he taken on for a year and made a lottery pick? Um you think Diallo would come play an AAC schedule on what is basically blind faith? Cal has more experience with that...obviously.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What example can Ollie use to convince him? What blue chip stud has he taken on for a year and made a lottery pick? Um you think Diallo would come play an AAC schedule on what is basically blind faith? Cal has more experience with that...obviously.

Do you really need an example for a Blue Chip though? Those type of kids know that if they go to East Bumbscrew U, they are likely going lottery. Unless they're not the confident type I suppose.

Cal can outsell anybody in the country, that's just what we're dealing with here.

Reaction Score
Do you really need an example for a Blue Chip though? Those type of kids know that if they go to East Bumbscrew U, they are likely going lottery. Unless they're not the confident type I suppose.

Cal can outsell anybody in the country, that's just what we're dealing with here.
It can't hurt. I mean Kentucky is in all essence an NBA farm system in a basketball centric atmosphere. Hate Cal all you want but to deny he isn't the best at what he does is hogwash. He takes the best of the best, showcases them, strokes their egos and gets them far in the tourney more times than not.

pj

Reaction Score

We're talking 2016-17. Kentucky would have been out because they had other one and dones ahead of him. His goal was to be a 1st rounder in the 2017 draft, so he would want to play. (On the hypothetical that he is not trying to avoid competition.)

So, if he wasn't going to Kentucky, wanted a place with open minutes, who else was recruiting him that was more attractive than UConn?

Reaction Score
We're talking 2016-17. Kentucky would have been out because they had other one and dones ahead of him. His goal was to be a 1st rounder in the 2017 draft, so he would want to play. (On the hypothetical that he is not trying to avoid competition.)

So, if he wasn't going to Kentucky, wanted a place with open minutes, who else was recruiting him that was more attractive than UConn?
He was never going to be c/o 2016 to come to UConn because HE DIDNT WANT TO COME TO UCONN. He is a fringe 1st rounder already without playing anywhere and you're really going to question his decision despite knowing 0% of what is in his head.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If you are still arguing over why Diallo went to UK over UConn you are either a fool or ignorant. He chose UK, at that time it was a no brainer, it still is get over it, this isn't 2009, or 2011, or even 2014, those opportunities to capitalize on recruiting came and passed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you are still arguing over why Diallo went to UK over UConn you are either a fool or ignorant. He chose UK, at that time it was a no brainer, it still is get over it, this isn't 2009, or 2011, or even 2014, those opportunities to capitalize on recruiting came and passed.
Why are those who feel that UConn would have been a better opportunity for Ham are either fools or ignorant? This is their opinion. It was far from a no brainer
I could care less where this kid went/goes.
Because someone sees something from another angle than you doesn't qualify that person for the looney bin nor does it make your argument correct

Reaction Score
It worked out for both, we didn't know it at the time and obviously neither did KO/staff. Move on let the kid do what he wants but if I'm him and there's a team willing to take me 1st round, take the money and run. He may only prove he needs to stay in college by playing there next year!

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Why are those who feel that UConn would have been a better opportunity for Ham are either fools or ignorant? This is their opinion. It was far from a no brainer
I could care less where this kid went/goes.
Because someone sees something from another angle than you doesn't qualify that person for the looney bin nor does it make your argument correct
This post reeks of someone who doesn't understand what Hamidou wants and why he chose the school that he did. For someone whose eyes are on the league he made the right choice, and yes I am more qualified than an emotional old man child to make that assessment, your posting history tells me you are not.

pj

Reaction Score
This post reeks of someone who doesn't understand what Hamidou wants and why he chose the school that he did. For someone whose eyes are on the league he made the right choice, and yes I am more qualified than an emotional old man child to make that assessment, your posting history tells me you are not.

KO has to prove to skeptics like you that he's just as good as Calipari at getting guys to the league. I don't think Hamidou made the right choice, but I can see why the easy inference is: Calipari has had a lot of players who went to the league, ergo he's the best at getting guys to the league. Logically it doesn't follow, but the glamor of Kentucky and Calipari's salesmanship makes it appear true. Meanwhile until KO has more time and more talent to coach, you can't tell how good he is at player development.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile until KO has more time and more talent to coach, you can't tell how good he is at player development.

And you still think Diallo made the wrong choice despite typing what you just typed?

I don't know, maybe when Kentucky has all twelve players on their roster in the lottery people will move on from this argument that every kid that goes there is fooled by smoke and mirrors.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
KO has to prove to skeptics like you that he's just as good as Calipari at getting guys to the league. I don't think Hamidou made the right choice, but I can see why the easy inference is: Calipari has had a lot of players who went to the league, ergo he's the best at getting guys to the league. Logically it doesn't follow, but the glamor of Kentucky and Calipari's salesmanship makes it appear true. Meanwhile until KO has more time and more talent to coach, you can't tell how good he is at player development.
What?

I can't understand a single point you are trying to make here?

pj

Reaction Score
And you still think Diallo made the wrong choice despite typing what you just typed?

I don't know, maybe when Kentucky has all twelve players on their roster in the lottery people will move on from this argument that every kid that goes there is fooled by smoke and mirrors.

I've explained why earlier in this thread. At UConn he could have enrolled in September 2016 and gotten on-court playing experience this year, potentially enabling him to be a first round draft choice in 2017. By skipping a year in order to attend Kentucky, he delayed his NBA start to 2018, costing him millions.

In another thread months ago, I compared player development histories over Calipari's and KO's entire career. Calipari rates as an average player developer, his players on average get drafted about 1.8x their high school rank (i.e. a player rated #10 out of high school gets drafted around #18), which is what you'd expect for average development. KO has too small a sample size to judge, but including DHam, Shabazz, Deandre, is slightly outperforming high school ranks. Calhoun was far better than either.

We'll just have to see after KO has built up his history. But yes, if KO is just an average developer of guards, then I think Diallo clearly made a faulty choice.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I've explained why earlier in this thread. At UConn he could have enrolled in September 2016 and gotten on-court playing experience this year, potentially enabling him to be a first round draft choice in 2017. By skipping a year in order to attend Kentucky, he delayed his NBA start to 2018, costing him millions.

100% could have gone to UK in the fall if he wanted to.

No idea their scholarship situation, but room would have been made.

Reaction Score
I don't think pj is arguing that he made the wrong decision to choose Kentucky over UConn in a vacuum, the argument is that - if Hami would have been buried on the depth chart at Kentucky - he would have been better served playing at UConn than sitting out at Kentucky.

That's a lot of conjecture but I think we can acknowledge Kentucky as an appropriately enviable destination without anointing them as invariably better than UConn in every way possible.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

In another thread months ago, I compared player development histories over Calipari's and KO's entire career. Calipari rates as an average player developer, his players on average get drafted about 1.8x their high school rank (i.e. a player rated #10 out of high school gets drafted around #18), which is what you'd expect for average development. KO has too small a sample size to judge, but including DHam, Shabazz, Deandre, is slightly outperforming high school ranks. Calhoun was far better than either.

We'll just have to see after KO has built up his history. But yes, if KO is just an average developer of guards, then I think Diallo clearly made a faulty choice.
What is your point? Cal gets top players and keeps them top players? Uhhh ya think? Diallo is a top guard so by your logic and numbers he will be drafted in the top of the draft. He'll also be on national TV more, ESPN more and will be complimented by other future top draft picks. There is literally NOTHING UConn or Ollie could have offered him that Cal and Diallo wouldn't have laughed off. Is your argument that he would have been better off playing with that train wreck of a team we had last year? Stop, please.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think pj is arguing that he made the wrong decision to choose Kentucky over UConn in a vacuum, the argument is that - if Hami would have been buried on the depth chart at Kentucky - he would have been better served playing at UConn than sitting out at Kentucky.

That's a lot of conjecture but I think we can acknowledge Kentucky as an appropriately enviable destination without anointing them as invariably better than UConn in every way possible.

Exactly!

What is your point? Cal gets top players and keeps them top players? Uhhh ya think? Diallo is a top guard so by your logic and numbers he will be drafted in the top of the draft. He'll also be on national TV more, ESPN more and will be complimented by other future top draft picks. There is literally NOTHING UConn or Ollie could have offered him that Cal and Diallo wouldn't have laughed off. Is your argument that he would have been better off playing with that train wreck of a team we had last year? Stop, please.

Yes, UConn offered something Kentucky couldn't in 2016-17: playing time. At Kentucky he would have been squeezed for minutes by Malik Monk, De'Aaron Fox, Isaiah Briscoe, and Mychal Mulder.

You are just wrong when you say that UConn had nothing to offer. You can argue that overall Kentucky was a better spot for him, but you can't argue that UConn was not a superior opportunity in some respects.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom