KenPom #1 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

KenPom #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Quick question.

Between Purdue and UCon, this season, which team has had more mentions for top 10 plays on Sports Center?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
For the love of all things holy, can people please stop saying “who cares?”

There’s nothing lamer than this ‘I’m too cool to care about rankings’ attitude some of you have. I promise you aren’t special, nobody cares that you’re supposedly above it, while simultaneously making sure everyone knows how much you’re above it.

People care, fans and analysts talk about who the best team is all the time. Do you just miss all these conversations?

Casual fans see it, recruits see it, analysts are forced to talk about it. It’s great marketing material for a program we all spend too much time obsessing over. Success breeds more success.

On top of all of that, does the team not deserve the proper credit they’re due for busting their behinds through the first third of the season? Why shouldn’t they want to take their proper spot atop the college basketball world, when they’ve more than earned it? Demand the respect they’ve earned.

This post isn’t just about you, it’s directed at everyone who posts similar sentiments all the time that just don’t get it.
It'd be nice, but I don't really care.

Reaction Score
For the love of all things holy, can people please stop saying “who cares?”

There’s nothing lamer than this ‘I’m too cool to care about rankings’ attitude some of you have. I promise you aren’t special, nobody cares that you’re supposedly above it, while simultaneously making sure everyone knows how much you’re above it.

People care, fans and analysts talk about who the best team is all the time. Do you just miss all these conversations?

Casual fans see it, recruits see it, analysts are forced to talk about it. It’s great marketing material for a program we all spend too much time obsessing over. Success breeds more success.

On top of all of that, does the team not deserve the proper credit they’re due for busting their behinds through the first third of the season? Why shouldn’t they want to take their proper spot atop the college basketball world, when they’ve more than earned it? Demand the respect they’ve earned.

This post isn’t just about you, it’s directed at everyone who posts similar sentiments all the time that just don’t get it.
You are either missing or overstating the position you don't like. No one is telling you it doesn't matter that we are or are not a highly ranked team, and no one is telling you you can't or shouldn't debate who is the best team in a conference or the country.

The point I and others are making is that if you're truly upset about whether a particular human being who rates teams puts us a spot higher or lower than you think we should be, you are giving way to much importance to the opinion of one individual just because he makes his or her feelings public. And if you're truly upset about whether a particular computer poll has a one or two places higher or lower than you think we should be, you are understating the margins of error on any statistical analysis of something that, ultimately, is really subjective and not capable of being measured in a formula with perfect precision.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You are either missing or overstating the position you don't like. No one is telling you it doesn't matter that we are or are not a highly ranked team, and no one is telling you you can't or shouldn't debate who is the best team in a conference or the country.

The point I and others are making is that if you're truly upset about whether a particular human being who rates teams puts us a spot higher or lower than you think we should be, you are giving way to much importance to the opinion of one individual just because he makes his or her feelings public. And if you're truly upset about whether a particular computer poll has a one or two places higher or lower than you think we should be, you are understating the margins of error on any statistical analysis of something that, ultimately, is really subjective and not capable of being measured in a formula with perfect precision.
Upset is a relative term because obviously it doesn’t ruin my Mondays when I see that we still aren’t number 1.

“No one is telling you it doesn't matter that we are or are not a highly ranked team”

I beg to differ, many people on this board are saying the polls don’t matter. That’s the whole point of my post. To say otherwise would be disingenuous of you.

Reaction Score
Upset is a relative term because obviously it doesn’t ruin my Mondays when I see that we still aren’t number 1.

“No one is telling you it doesn't matter that we are or are not a highly ranked team”

I beg to differ, many people on this board are saying the polls don’t matter. That’s the whole point of my post. To say otherwise would be disingenuous of you.
Disagree. You are taking people’s thoughts totally out of context. The debate started with people upset that we were a spot or two lower than they thought. That’s certainly what I was commenting on. Not about whether we should be #3 but someone had us outside the top 25. Folks are free to read for themselves and decide who is being disingenuous. You have a good night.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How is anyone supposed to take KenPom seriously when Kentucky is still #13 on 12/31? Its only two top 100 wins are Michigan and Yale, 5 of its wins are to teams ranked 235 or worse, and all 4 losses were by 9 or more points. Kentucky has an 80 ranking under the old RPI system, which feels like a lot more accurate representation of Kentucky’s actual performance year to date.

Reaction Score
How is anyone supposed to take KenPom seriously when Kentucky is still #13 on 12/31? Its only two top 100 wins are Michigan and Yale, 5 of its wins are to teams ranked 235 or worse, and all 4 losses were by 9 or more points. Kentucky has an 80 ranking under the old RPI system, which feels like a lot more accurate representation of Kentucky’s actual performance year to date.
You are going to be able to knit pick a few teams like this every single year. Kenpom isn't ranking teams based on W/L and UK has vastly underperformed this season but they're still a good team. Kenpom has UK -23 today against Lville and the betting market is -23.5, pretty spot on.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

I really wish ken would publish numbers with and without artificial last year weighting. I suspect their ranking has at least a little bit to do with them finishing 6 last year.

NET has them at 44, so i would expect these to even out when the weighting from last year gets dropped, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

Reaction Score
You are going to be able to knit pick a few teams like this every single year. Kenpom isn't ranking teams based on W/L and UK has vastly underperformed this season but they're still a good team. Kenpom has UK -23 today against Lville and the betting market is -23.5, pretty spot on.
Exactly. And if I were other people I'd be careful dancing on their graves. Every few years he has a team that underperforms, and quite often they turn it around go ahead a make a pretty deep run. We took them out twice in the Final Four on such runs.

I don't know that this team has the top level talent to do that, but I'm far from writing them off on December 31

Reaction Score
It only works on how well they score points and prevent their opposition from scoring. It does adjust to the competition, but only in the context of how well they do on the same. They're relatively efficient on offense and defense, just not enough to beat anyone good yet. Michigan and Yale are nothing to write home about, but both are still in the top 20% of D1 teams.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It only works on how well they score points and prevent their opposition from scoring. It does adjust to the competition, but only in the context of how well they do on the same. They're relatively efficient on offense and defense, just not enough to beat anyone good yet. Michigan and Yale are nothing to write home about, but both are still in the top 20% of D1 teams.

Central Michigan says “hello”

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Exactly. And if I were other people I'd be careful dancing on their graves. Every few years he has a team that underperforms, and quite often they turn it around go ahead a make a pretty deep run. We took them out twice in the Final Four on such runs.

I don't know that this team has the top level talent to do that, but I'm far from writing them off on December 31

John Calipari sends his regards.

Reaction Score
John Calipari sends his regards.
I mean, sure. It's mid-January and they stink. They've stunk in the past, too. They've also stunk for a whole season but then made the NCAA championship. Like I said, I'm not sure they have that ability on this squad, but I'm also not dancing on their graves yet.

Reaction Score
I mean, sure. It's mid-January and they stink. They've stunk in the past, too. They've also stunk for a whole season but then made the NCAA championship. Like I said, I'm not sure they have that ability on this squad, but I'm also not dancing on their graves yet.
Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas. 3 out of 4 will probably be sweet sixteen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom