Kenny Kallina's Top 24 WBB Teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kenny Kallina's Top 24 WBB Teams

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So how many of these ranked teams will we play in how many games? Looks even tougher than last season's schedule.

If you're going by Kallina's list, UConn plays 11 games against those teams not counting any AAC tourney matchups. Stanford as well which is conspicuously absent.

Reaction Score
Strange! In his scouting report on Oregon he states that # 11 Oregon, #5 UCLA, Stanford ( not ranked ) and #19 Cal are locked into a four team race for the Pac-12. Championship. Yet he had Oregon St ranked #15 ahead of both Cal and Stanford. Very strange indeed. last time I checked Oregon St was also in the Pac 12.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Strange! In his scouting report on Oregon he states that # 11 Oregon, #5 UCLA, Stanford ( not ranked ) and #19 Cal are locked into a four team race for the Pac-12. Championship. Yet he had Oregon St ranked #15 ahead of both Cal and Stanford. Very strange indeed. last time I checked Oregon St was also in the Pac 12.

A scouting report implies scouting. I would say musings.

Reaction Score
Apparently Kenny K didn't fully appreciate the Boneyard's recent criticism of his preseason rankings...........even worse, his sidekick (John is it?) was particularly harsh with little old me of all people, calling me a clown, a buffoon and a know it all................hmmmm sounds strangely like listening to my wife and teenage daughter talk about your's truly.................clown..............? buffoon?................
well OK those I can live with but know it all................? Uhhhhhh maybe a little bit...............but this from two guys who spend the first five minutes of every show just trying to figure out if their faces are in camera range?
Any way interesting to hear their take on our "non biased" thoughts.............the Boneyard references start at about 31.40..........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Apparently Kenny K didn't fully appreciate the Boneyard's recent criticism of his preseason rankings......

At least they read the BY and, outside of the weird shots at you, I thought the conversation was civil.

The truth is every poll or ranking gets criticized no matter the sport. Creme's gets picked apart as do the initial AP and Coaches polls. Just the way it is.

Kallina didn't get the KML joke though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least they read the BY and, outside of the weird shots at you, I thought the conversation was civil.

The truth is every poll or ranking gets criticized no matter the sport. Creme's gets picked apart as do the initial AP and Coaches polls. Just the way it is.

Kallina didn't get the KML joke though.

I was a bit surprised that they read the Boneyard........not sure if he only looks for his own mentions or reads through a variety of threads.............I found the other guy's comments about me to be funny.............I can see why he thinks I'm a know it all but a clown and a buffoon? I try to be funny on occasion but I can't fathom what he's referring to............no matter............you know the old adage "I don't care what you say about me, as long as you say something about me and as long as you spell my name right"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised that they read the Boneyard...not sure if he only looks for his own mentions or reads through a variety of threads...I found the other guy's comments about me to be funny...I can see why he thinks I'm a know it all but a clown and a buffoon? I try to be funny on occasion but I can't fathom what he's referring to..no matter..you know the old adage "I don't care what you say about me, as long as you say something about me and as long as you spell my name right"
Really? :eek:. Doesn't matter really. You are with us! He will never be!

Reaction Score
Well, here is something that I didn't know (but should have):

In the last meeting between Wilson and Stevens Wilson absolutely torched her for 28 points and 11 boards compared to Stevens’s 11 points on 3/11 from the field, dont think she hasnt thought about that and ready now at UConn to avenge that showing from 2016.

Of course, Wilson is a lot stronger and probably had Coates helping to thrown a body on Z. But it also reminds us that Z just isn't a "down low" type player, despite her height. Although that was 2 years ago, I think we have to be ready for a Z who'll get some boards, but not by any means is a true 5, of course, but maybe not the type of 4 that Stewie was. Which means that they'll be a great 6-7 person rotation (maybe 8 with Batouly surprising on the upside), but that Gabby and Pheesa still have their work cut out for them underneath.

We'll see...

Reaction Score
I'd have to do the research on that prior match up..........it could be Wilson simply dominated but I'm wondering if Stevens was injured or coming back from injury at that time.........UConn fans may not know that Azura has suffered through what I believe were foot injuries several times as a college player .......Duke fans would know the story on that

Reaction Score
yes just checked.....she tore the plantar fascia in her left foot against Notre Dame.........not sure if that had any impact on the match up with Wilson

Reaction Score
Well, here is something that I didn't know (but should have):

Of course, Wilson is a lot stronger and probably had Coates helping to thrown a body on Z. But it also reminds us that Z just isn't a "down low" type player, despite her height. Although that was 2 years ago, I think we have to be ready for a Z who'll get some boards, but not by any means is a true 5, of course, but maybe not the type of 4 that Stewie was. Which means that they'll be a great 6-7 person rotation (maybe 8 with Batouly surprising on the upside), but that Gabby and Pheesa still have their work cut out for them underneath.

We'll see...

this year it will be a different story, if Wilson covers Azura outside, she will be drawn away from the basket freeing up the lane without any support from Coates...........Dawn may very well put somebody else on her when they play man to man...............

Reaction Score
this year it will be a different story, if Wilson covers Azura outside, she will be drawn away from the basket freeing up the lane without any support from Coates......Dawn may very well put somebody else on her when they play man to man.....
great research and thanks for all this Charlieball. I agree that UConn should be able to handle South Carolina (and everyone else!). Just saying that the "knock" on Z (and there's a knock on everyone--no one's perfect, 'cept maybe Maya) is that she's not fierce underneath. Pheesa and Gabby are, maybe Batouly, and that's probably whom UConn needs to rely on to get it down there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Apparently Kenny K didn't fully appreciate the Boneyard's recent criticism of his preseason rankings......even worse, his sidekick (John is it?) was particularly harsh with little old me of all people, calling me a clown, a buffoon and a know it all......hmmmm sounds strangely like listening to my wife and teenage daughter talk about your's truly.......clown....? buffoon?......
well OK those I can live with but know it all......? Uhhhhhh maybe a little bit.....but this from two guys who spend the first five minutes of every show just trying to figure out if their faces are in camera range?
Any way interesting to hear their take on our "non biased" thoughts...the Boneyard references start at about 31.40.....

WBB's most popular show????? :confused:

Never heard of it.

On Edit: Ok I did listen to the BY part. I may have to listen again sometime. I don't think they were trying to be funny, but they were. :D

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I am not at all sure if there is any agreement. All this is rumor and perhaps a little wishful thinking sprinkled in with a general feeling that in the past, transfers at UConn were abhorred (but not for the right transfers :D). In the end, if for some reason, it is agreed by all that it would be best for her to leave after 1 year, I cant imagine anyone standing in the way. Sort of like Morgan Tuck and her extra year of eligibility. Azure may honestly believe she intends to stay 2 years but if UConn wins the NC and she is NPOY (or close contender) for example, it may be in her interests to go.

Finally, I hope there would not be a feeling among the BY that if she stays only 1 year, we would be upset and feel victimized. Even for only one year (and it would have to be a great year to leave), she would be counted as a great Husky (HOH?) and I would also remind all that she was an important member of the team last year through practices which I am sure improved our team by her presence).

Ooh. I see @j66kicker beat me a little bit
"When somebody says it's not about the money, it's about the money." --H.L. Mencken

Reaction Score
great research and thanks for all this Charlieball. I agree that UConn should be able to handle South Carolina (and everyone else!). Just saying that the "knock" on Z (and there's a knock on everyone--no one's perfect, 'cept maybe Maya) is that she's not fierce underneath. Pheesa and Gabby are, maybe Batouly, and that's probably whom UConn needs to rely on to get it down there.

I have to admit that I haven't seen her play enough to make a judgement about her rebounding prowess and toughness inside............if she didn't have some toughness before, she better pick some up soon or Geno will give her a quick hook

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think it's a terrible idea to plant Stevens in the paint. Wilson is more of a post presence than Stevens and even she moves around the floor.. from the arc, to the high post, to the baseline. I'm not a coach but I think it would be wise to use Stevens the same way UConn used Stewart. Let her be a roamer and attack from various parts of the floor.. she's capable.

Reaction Score
I think it's a terrible idea to plant Stevens in the paint. Wilson is more of a post presence than Stevens and even she moves around the floor.. from the arc, to the high post, to the baseline. I'm not a coach but I think it would be wise to use Stevens the same way UConn used Stewart. Let her be a roamer and attack from various parts of the floor.. she's capable.
yes, absolutely! But Stewie also crashed the boards (on o and on d) with great authority. I guess that's what I was thinking about when I said Z might not be as effective a 4 as was Stewie on the boards. But you make a great point, and I got ahead of myself. Z will get her bounds from hitting the rim from different angles, not as a post. thanks!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Then take it from someone who is a coach: Seems like @CoachBill is in full agreement with you.
" Azura offers more versatility ( starting with deeper shooting range ) Offensively currently . As most know.. the further out on floor a "Big" defender has to go to contest shots & defend vs dribble / penetration , the less comfortable they are - more of a challenge. I also fully expect a noticeable upgrade to her low block package ( moves, footwork,etc ) with UConn coaching by the start of the 2017/2018 season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom