Kenny Kallina's Top 24 WBB Teams | The Boneyard

Kenny Kallina's Top 24 WBB Teams

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ohio State #4.....WHAT?????

He continues to buy into this idea that people like Harper and Mavunga are somehow super talents, which I do not understand. They got worked by an under-sized Turner-less ND last year, which pretty clearly exposed the vulnerability of their helter-skelter gameplan to a well-coached team. That and their total lack of ability to defend. And rebound.

He has an axe to grind against the traditional top programs so he wants Ohio State to crash the party. I get it, but it's not based in reality.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I found the missing team. Stanford is worse than all of those? (I know you guys meant TN but still this guy is on another planet or in another orbit entirely.) I look forward to the Stanford-Ohio State game in November...also it appears to be his WISHFUL thinking ranking. For example, the wording on UCLA...also I have to wonder if Miss State played out of their minds in that UConn game and really deserves such a high ranking. He also clearly has little appreciation for the value of good coaching.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok. Let me take issue with some of his UConn analysis

First and foremost we only need to focus on 351 of the programs in Division I for these rankings. Somewhere between fact and folk lore UConn will sit at #1 throughout the season with transfers Azura Stevens and Batouly Camara gaining eligibility from Duke and Kentucky respectively after sitting out last season due to NCAA Transfer Rules. Megan Walker has her own t-shirt line and hyped as one of the best recruits ever may not make a single start this season. The bigger question for UConn is will Stevens come back for another year? The WNBA Draft in 2018 is loaded but she might be a dark horse already as the number one pick for a San Antonio team desperate for size. Stevens played in a Duke program notorious for turning out pros but also having a decent amount of underachievement at the college level and before she left as a sophomore was the ACC player of the Year. Because of San Antonio’s need you have to think she or A’ja Wilson are almost certainly the number one pick in the draft if Stevens comes out but if she wins a national championship this year why wouldnt you? In the last meeting between Wilson and Stevens Wilson absolutely torched her for 28 points and 11 boards compared to Stevens’s 11 points on 3/11 from the field, dont think she hasnt thought about that and ready now at UConn to avenge that showing from 2016.

Megan Walker has her own t-shirt line and hyped as one of the best recruits ever

She is certainly a strong recruit but she was not hyped to be or is on the same level as Dee, Stewie or Maya

Stevens comes out but if she wins a national championship this year why wouldnt you?

To enjoy a unique and unforgettable experience and to continue to develop her game. I am not saying it would not be a hard decision but hardly a no brainer.

Reaction Score
He continues to buy into this idea that people like Harper and Mavunga are somehow super talents, which I do not understand. They got worked by an under-sized Turner-less ND last year, which pretty clearly exposed the vulnerability of their helter-skelter gameplan to a well-coached team. That and their total lack of ability to defend. And rebound.

He has an axe to grind against the traditional top programs so he wants Ohio State to crash the party. I get it, but it's not based in reality.

Plus he can't even spell Kaleena right. What a loser.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hmmm, seems like there's a team missing there. :rolleyes:
I hate Tennessee as much, if not more, than most folks on this board, but they ARE a top 25 team. Preaseason I'd probably put them about 15 or so - Given what they lost and players who transferred, and given they will have to rely SO much on freshmen, I think 15 is fair...

And no Stanford? Good golly Miss Molly!

On another note, I realize that people will be discussing all season the "will she or won't she" decision of Stevens, BUT... I doubt very much if Geno would have taken her without a commitment from her to stay 2 full years. I don't think he's ever taken a 1 year transfer, and I can't imagine him taking her knowing she would only stay 1 year. We will see of course, but I'd put a lot of $ on her staying 2 years. I hope people don't spend a lot of energy discussing it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok. Let me take issue with some of his UConn analysis

Stevens comes out but if she wins a national championship this year why wouldnt you?

To enjoy a unique and unforgettable experience and to continue to develop her game. I am not saying it would not be a hard decision but hardly a no brainer.
I know I read somewhere that Geno asked Z if she would stay for her 2 years. Because he would not accept her for only 1. Both parties know that each ones honor is on the line. Stevens stays for 2.

Reaction Score
On another note, I realize that people will be discussing all season the "will she or won't she" decision of Stevens, BUT... I doubt very much if Geno would have taken her without a commitment from her to stay 2 full years. I don't think he's ever taken a 1 year transfer, and I can't imagine him taking her knowing she would only stay 1 year. We will see of course, but I'd put a lot of $ on her staying 2 years. I hope people don't spend a lot of energy discussing it.
How much? If we win the NC and she has a great year, she's gone. Just (sorta) like Tuck. I also don't expect Turner back at ND. I will not be bitter - just hoping Z has a great year and we win the NC.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am not at all sure if there is any agreement. All this is rumor and perhaps a little wishful thinking sprinkled in with a general feeling that in the past, transfers at UConn were abhorred (but not for the right transfers :D). In the end, if for some reason, it is agreed by all that it would be best for her to leave after 1 year, I cant imagine anyone standing in the way. Sort of like Morgan Tuck and her extra year of eligibility. Azure may honestly believe she intends to stay 2 years but if UConn wins the NC and she is NPOY (or close contender) for example, it may be in her interests to go.

Finally, I hope there would not be a feeling among the BY that if she stays only 1 year, we would be upset and feel victimized. Even for only one year (and it would have to be a great year to leave), she would be counted as a great Husky (HOH?) and I would also remind all that she was an important member of the team last year through practices which I am sure improved our team by her presence).

Ooh. I see @j66kicker beat me a little bit

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I haven't seen it from an authoritative source, but my guess is that Geno got Z to agree to stay for 2 years. That's part of why I think she may not start this season (though she will play major minutes).

After the Italy trip, Geno put the players into categories (I'm paraphrasing):

Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa knew what they were doing, played very well, and know they still have to improve even more.

Crystal and Azura were good/very good a times, but inconsistent, and have more room for improvement than the Core 4.

Batouly, Molly, and Kyla are further down, but at least know what Geno wants.

The freshmen have a long way to go, though Meg got lots of PT. Geno will give her opportunities, but point out how much she has to learn.

The relevant point here is that Geno grouped Azura with Crystal and not with the Core 4. She has NPOY potential in one of the next two years, but Geno sees much room for improvement (as in 2 years worth in Storrs).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Jess McCormack (transferred from UW after Fr. season) didn't stay at UConn very long, and never played in a single game for them if I recall correctly. I think there were extenuating circumstances, just pointing out a transfer that I think was only on campus for 1 year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Really missed the mark on ND. Turner will not play this coming season. Smart decision on her part. Sheppard is not going play this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jess McCormack (transferred from UW after Fr. season) didn't stay at UConn very long, and never played in a single game for them if I recall correctly. I think there were extenuating circumstances, just pointing out a transfer that I think was only on campus for 1 year.
Yep, Jess was injured the year that she had to sit out. Australia, her home, was a long distance away, so maybe she was homesick. She went back home to play Netball.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Australia, her home, was a long distance away, so maybe she was homesick. She went back home to play Netball.

I thought she was from New Zealand.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think/thought, she went back to Australia and played Netball instead.

Oops nevermind Milford covered it.

And another oops, New Zealand. (somewhere Down Under)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think/thought, she went back to Australia and played Netball instead.

Oops nevermind Milford covered it.

And another oops, New Zealand. (somewhere Down Under)
My bad. Jess was from NZ and went back to play netball in NZ. She later played basketball in AUS.

Reaction Score
So how many of these ranked teams will we play in how many games? Looks even tougher than last season's schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom