Kelsey Bone declares for the draft | The Boneyard

Kelsey Bone declares for the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Uconn dodged a gigantic bullet with her. Or perhaps she made the right decision by not coming. Either way, glad she didn't end up in Storrs. Sorry to bash the kid, but she doesn't have her head on right. Hopefully she gets there.

Reaction Score
What is the big deal? She technically is a senior. She could have completed her degree. She does not have to go back for her fourth year. Personally I think if we had a player like Bone in the previous year or two we might have won more games than we have. We might have been able to beat Notre Dame more. But who knows.

There is no reason to attack her because she wants to leave college and start making thousands of dollars in the WNBA.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's a shocker (to me anyway). aTm just went from top 10 next year to top 20. She lacks fitness, never fully committed to getting in better shape, and reminds me a bit of Kia Vaughn as far as potential not realized (she was #2 IIRC in high school rankings).

I'd not be surprised to see her be an average (ie. Vaughn, Braxton) type center in the WNBA. But I think she's a solid player and did really well for aTm. Going to be interesting to see how she does in the pros... and at least she has her degree!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She'll have her degree I think. Someone said something about that before.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She'll have her degree I think. Someone said something about that before.
Well, she will have been in college for four years, so that's certainly likely. And I know College Station, TX is not exactly The University of Eden, Garden Campus. But still, she could be well on her way to an advanced degree if she wanted to be. Given the short shelf life of professional athletes and unpredictable earning opportunities for WBB players, this would seem like a good idea.

Reaction Score
How high will she go in the draft? Maybe about 7th in the first round?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What is the big deal? She technically is a senior. She could have completed her degree. She does not have to go back for her fourth year. Personally I think if we had a player like Bone in the previous year or two we might have won more games than we have. We might have been able to beat Notre Dame more. But who knows.

There is no reason to attack her because she wants to leave college and start making thousands of dollars in the WNBA.

I agree about attacking her. Don't get it. She had a very good year for A&M. She is eligable for the draft. She wants to play pro ball. Good for her. She has some nice skills and good size.

I'm glad she didn't come to UConn because we might not have had Dolson on the roster.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think we should judge out of shape posters here at the Boneyard...as a bonus, we can include a cyberattack on their character as well. Just sayin...;)

We don't do that? You haven't met Huskybill??

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO Smart move by Kelsey as she'll get drafted in the Top 8 in this years draft. Not sure if that would happen next years draft. Next years draft is more talented then this years draft.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
How high will she go in the draft? Maybe about 7th in the first round?
I certainly would not take her that high. She's not WNBA ready, not by a long shot. I'd take her as a project, maybe.

Reaction Score
She'll be a Courtney Paris type--fits the profile of a first round pick, but just doesn't have the mojo to get up and down the court consistently to stay in a game. Her game is in her size and is played in about a 10' arc from the hoop.

And yes, you guys were fortunate NOT to have had her. The number of dominant games she has played in her four years of college in which she took the team on her back and carried it for 30-35 minutes can be counted on two hands--with some digits to spare.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
hmmmmm.....

honestly didnt see this coming...

I thought she might have stayed for a 5th year.

I do think she will be a 1st round high draft. Probably top 10.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think so too, 8 sounds about right. Remember how strange it seemed to us that she went to SC, and then the transfer was a shocker, and now this. Rocky road....

Reaction Score
From our seniors Pope will get notice because of her improved numbers, but honestly, she still doesn't know her way around the paint well enough to go up against WNBA types. However, any team who has an established #5 post but needs some help on the boards would do well to take a flier on Destiny Williams.

Destiny did not develop as much her senior year because she split time with Pope. And, between the two of them Pope/Williams, Mulkey got a better composite than either one of them could be as individuals. But Williams was a quite effective junior on the 2012 team and has much more moxy around the paint and basket than Pope does. Had Williams had a senior year to play the #4 all year long, she would certainly be WNBA ready--a bit short perhaps by some standards for a #4, but has the large enough body and rebounding saavy to make up for it.

I'm certainly not suggesting she's a top 10 or probably even a first round (and we all know if you don't go first round the odds of sticking around plummet), but Williams can play and some team who takes her in the second, may just find out they don't need their first. Obviously I'm a big fan.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Perfectly reasonable - she'll be like any other college student who gets a degree and then sets about getting a job.

In her case, the extra year of earning power is probably well worth skipping her last year of eligibility. I also happen to think that players can improve more in many cases by making basketball their full-time job, e.g. Andre Drummond.

And if basketball ultimately doesn't work out, she has a college degree and is prepared to enter the rat race with the rest of us.

Reaction Score
From our seniors Pope will get notice because of her improved numbers, but honestly, she still doesn't know her way around the paint well enough to go up against WNBA types. However, any team who has an established #5 post but needs some help on the boards would do well to take a flier on Destiny Williams.

Destiny did not develop as much her senior year because she split time with Pope. And, between the two of them Pope/Williams, Mulkey got a better composite than either one of them could be as individuals. But Williams was a quite effective junior on the 2012 team and has much more moxy around the paint and basket than Pope does. Had Williams had a senior year to play the #4 all year long, she would certainly be WNBA ready--a bit short perhaps by some standards for a #4, but has the large enough body and rebounding saavy to make up for it.

I'm certainly not suggesting she's a top 10 or probably even a first round (and we all know if you don't go first round the odds of sticking around plummet), but Williams can play and some team who takes her in the second, may just find out they don't need their first. Obviously I'm a big fan.
I think they'd both be decent picks. Maybe Madden too?
I know that Pope transferred from Rutgers so she's done well for only playing 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom