Kelly Faris!!! | The Boneyard

Kelly Faris!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In fairness, I shouldn't be posting anything here because, well, frankly, I've kind've run out of things to say about her. But don't my fellow posters on this board know what I'm trying to say? Can you imagine what it must feel like for a coach to have HER on his or her team? I don't know, but I imagine that this is her final year of competitive basketball....sure hope she goes out with a banner!

Reaction Score
I think she'll have a place in the WNBA as a gluetype of player. She can guard any of the 1-3 positions, can pass and if she hits shots when left open and players can"t cheat of her to double team, she is a player than any team (including the WNBA) needs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Several things stand out, but I recall a year or so back being told by another poster who will remain nameless ;) that she would not be a WNBA player because her offense was not good enough and there were plenty of great defenders in the WNBA. I believe she will be a first round pick, possibly as high as 4th or 5th, especially if she has more games like the one last night.

She's now averaging exactly 10 PPG (side note - 5 huskies averaging double figures) and an eye popping 64% from beyond the arc. Kelly is an AA in my mind, but even if she isn't awarded that honor, she's in the upper echelon of all time great huskies to me!

Reaction Score
Several things stand out, but I recall a year or so back being told by another poster who will remain nameless ;) that she would not be a WNBA player because her offense was not good enough and there were plenty of great defenders in the WNBA. I believe she will be a first round pick, possibly as high as 4th or 5th, especially if she has more games like the one last night.

She's now averaging exactly 10 PPG (side note - 5 huskies averaging double figures) and an eye popping 64% from beyond the arc. Kelly is an AA in my mind, but even if she isn't awarded that honor, she's in the upper echelon of all time great huskies to me!

Right after Griner, Delladon and Diggins? Seems a might high for someone that probably won't make AA. No team needs a glue player that bad. How bout 4th or 5th pick in the 2nd round?

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
If Kelly doesn't get drafted...I'll be angry ;) One of my all time faves, she is indeed playing like an AA this year.

Reaction Score
Right after Griner, Delladon and Diggins? Seems a might high for someone that probably won't make AA. No team needs a glue player that bad. How bout 4th or 5th pick in the 2nd round?
Seems mitey uppity of you too be so sure of your draft ranking. Do you do this professionally, like for a WNBA team, May bee?

Your post really bugs me.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch!

Reaction Score
Anymore uppity than eric's? Does he do that professionally?
I'm not impressed with comments that take offense on someone else's behalf, especially when that someone else was not mentioned. Eric can defend himself from imaginary attacks.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The "glue player" label actually does not fit any more, given the way she is scoring this year. She could probably start on a lot of WNBA teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Voice of Reason speaketh.
And don't you forget it. :)

Tiff was picked 14th and made the All-Rookie team. Oops! Someone will look at Kelly and make an intelligent decision in the draft.

Kelly has excelled at everything but shooting with confidence. Now she has that too. Maybe hanging out with Kaleena has helped her in that regard. She is smart, tough, athletic, and plays fiercely. And she shots at 75%!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not impressed with comments that take offense on someone else's behalf, especially when that someone else was not mentioned. Eric can defend himself from imaginary attacks.
Don't care whether you are impressed or not. (why do people always think I care???? Odd? Wonder if I come off as a caring, sensitive individual?? :confused: )

Wasn't defending 44. I was attacking your post. You called into question 44 ability to give an opinion on Faris' draft position while saying nothing of eric doing the same thing.

Eric can defend himself from imaginary attacks.
Then why would you try to defend him??

(will grant I may be missing some sarcasm or inside joke. I have no idea who 44 is. If so.......nevermind)

Reaction Score
Your screenname: are you offering to send By'ers kimchee gratis?

If so, sign me up!!!

If Kelly doesn't get drafted...I'll be angry ;) One of my all time faves, she is indeed playing like an AA this year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And don't you forget it. :)

Tiff was picked 14th and made the All-Rookie team. Oops! Someone will look at Kelly and make an intelligent decision in the draft.
You really think Faris is gonna be picked ahead of Hayes? Really? It would be nice, but I think you guys are dreaming.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Yes I do if teams are smart, 1 of my fav players, every team needs a Faris, can't do as well without one.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
You really think Faris is gonna be picked ahead of Hayes? Really? It would be nice, but I think you guys are dreaming.
OK, name the 13 players who will be picked ahead of Kelly. I'll give you the first three (already named in this thread) so you only need to name the next 10.

Reaction Score
At a minimum, Kelly should be able to play overseas if she wants to. Lorin and Megan are doing it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LOL good one. If you read what I wrote... " I believe she will be a first round pick, possibly as high as 4th or 5th, especially if she has more games like the one last night.".

Meaning as it stands now, I believe she will be a first round pick. IF she has more games like the one vs. Colgate (17 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals), then yeah - I think she could go as high as 4th or 5th. And by the way, her stats are at least as good, if not better, than Diggins so far this year.

I'm certainly not saying I believe Kelly will be drafted above Griner or EDD, or Diggins for that matter. But name 10 players you'd draft ahead of Kelly this year. Name even 5 players. I can think of 3 - Griner, EDD and Diggins. After that, who? Walker (UCLA)? Reed? Oliver? Smith (SJU)? Williams (Baylor)? Ruffin-Pratt? Taylor Hill (OSU)? Tinkle? Hassell (Georgia)? Spani?

Smith is having a terrific year for SJU - 21 PPG but she plays 38 minutes per game. Give Kelly 38 minutes how do you think she'd do? Same for Hill at OSU - 19 PPG in 35 MPG. I haven't checked the others, but I'm betting if they are averaging over 15 PPG it's because they are playing over 30 MPG...

If you look at other "seniors" who have better numbers on teams the caliber of James Madison or other mid major types, they may not have even 1 player besides their "star" who averages double figures in scoring, and I bet that star takes 15-20 shots per game. They are being asked to shoot and score and do that much for their teams.

Kelly is averaging 4.7 shot attempts per game. In only 24 minutes per game. She's incredibly efficient and on a lesser team could easily be averaging 20 PPG. But that's not what is generally asked of her (to be a scorer). Put Kelly on any mid major and she'd be a huge star on that team.

Bottom line I think she goes in the first round. How high depends on how she scores this year...

Reaction Score
Seems mitey uppity of you too be so sure of your draft ranking. Do you do this professionally, like for a WNBA team, May bee?

Your post really bugs me.

SO it is okay that one poster makes a statement (that you agree with or like) but I can not make a statement because you dont agree with it or like it?

Your response really bugs me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK, name the 13 players who will be picked ahead of Kelly. I'll give you the first three (already named in this thread) so you only need to name the next 10.
Griner, EDD, Diggins, Hooper (Nebraska), Rodgers (Georgetown), Smith (St. John's), Luper (Oral Roberts), Bone, Williams (Baylor), Alexander (Syracuse), Mathies, almost always have 2-3 foreign players that no one has heard of. There's 13-14. Also in competition, Hill (Ohio St), Martin (DePaul), possibly Spaner, Tinkle. Then there's always a couple from the mid-majors, that nobody's heard of. And I am sure I am missing a couple.

Remember Hayes scored 1800 points in her career, Faris might break 1000. Hayes scored 30+ 3 times in her career. A 3rd team AP AA. I don't think Faris is gonna get that recognition. Hayes had much better numbers, much more recognition, a much better resume, quicker, faster, presumably a better spot up shooter, better at driving to the hoop and she went 2nd round.

It's not whether she deserves it or not, but whether she actually is selected 1st round or not. I love the way Faris is playing this year. Remember, when people look at UCONN it's Hartley, KML, Dolson and Stewart with all the accolades. But people are still gonna look at Faris (to their own demise) as the one they can back off of defensively. She's gonna have to prove it all season long. She's got 3 years of reputation (right or wrong) to overcome.

Sorry, just the way it is. Depending on how this season goes though, things could change. I certainly would not be upset to be wrong.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would say that late first round is a good guess as to where she will be drafted -- possibly by the Connecticut Sun. It will be interesting to see who their new coach is, and if he/she has UConn connections. If it is Jen Rizzotti, and Kelly is available when she picks, I would expect her to snap Kelly up.

Kelly is actually a good fit for the Sun, who will be pretty strong in the post especially if Sandrine Gruda returns to the team as has been suggested. Kelly would then be competing with players such as Allison Hightower and Kalana Greene, who have the same strengths and weaknesses as she does, but I don't think they play quite as intelligently or intensely as Kelly.

At UConn, I thought she was a difference-maker in games more often than Tiffany was when they played together, despite Tiff's greater scoring. Kelly certainly grabbed more rebounds than Tiff. If Tiff can do as well as she did with Atlanta, Kelly should do at least that well in the WNBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom