Kelly at PG? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kelly at PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dolson may be on track for 900 but she is the tallest post UConn has had in a long time. She needs to be better! Or more precisely the team needs for her to be better! It is a poor commentary on her that Stokes who gets little playing time is a better rebounder than her. Remember When Cash was rebounding there were other players pulling down rebounds as well!!!!
Well Charles was 6-4 and that wasn't too long ago. Dolson's never going to be a Charles. She doesn't have the athletism. She is doing ok. Like I said, she's never going to be great at rebounding.

Agreed Stokes is a good rebounder. She's more athletic and has a better knack. But that's pretty much her main purpose when she's out there too. Dolson is also a scorer.....big one at that. Much better passer too. Are you going to complain about Stokes not passing well enough for ya?

Reaction Score
Since none of us know what the coaching staff has asked of her, and what her instructions are in any game, I think it a presumptious to state "she needs to be better. & it's a poor commentary...blah blah blah".
Further, she's not your (or my) personal entertainment center. Dolson's rebounding might be YOUR point of emphasis, but it might not be the point of emphasis for the coaching staff.
The players have all said that rebounding is high on coach A's list as it is the basis of the transition game and the easy shots that UConn is known for! As for BLAH, Blah, Blah, what makes your opinion any more valid than mine. The coach has said at numerous halftime interviews he was unhappy with the rebounding. Don't you pay attention to what he says during the game telecasts?????

Reaction Score
Well Charles was 6-4 and that wasn't too long ago. Dolson's never going to be a Charles. She doesn't have the athletism. She is doing ok. Like I said, she's never going to be great at rebounding.

Agreed Stokes is a good rebounder. She's more athletic and has a better knack. But that's pretty much her main purpose when she's out there too. Dolson is also a scorer.....big one at that. Much better passer too. Are you going to complain about Stokes not passing well enough for ya?
Not lately she hasn't been a scorer she has been flat since the A&M game

Reaction Score

She is a great passer but so are many other players ie. Kelly Farris and as great as it is to have a post that is a great passer she needs first and foremost to control the boards and score in the post!!!!!

Reaction Score
No, she doesn't, what she needs to do is fulfill the staff' s expectations. She often redirects 3 to 4 rebounds a game to other players.
I was not aware that you had any more of a direct line to the staff than any of us!!!! I doubt that the staff want her redirecting anything! If she can reach it to redirect than she should pull it in and pass on def board and shoot or reset on offensive board. That is what a Post player at final four level play is trained and expected to do!

Reaction Score
.... she needs first and foremost to control the boards and score in the post!!!!!
Like I said- YOU have zero idea what the coaching staff has told her. All you know is a general statement which Geno has made regarding the team as a whole.
... I doubt that the staff want her redirecting anything! If she can reach it to redirect than she should pull it in....
That is just silly. It's LOTS easier to tip a ball in a direction than to gain full control. It's pretty obvious by that comment, you have never actually played the game.
If you don't like the way the team plays the game, not happy with Step or what she does on the floor, please pick a different team. It won't hurt my feelings.

Reaction Score
I was not aware that you had any more of a direct line to the staff than any of us!!!! I doubt that the staff want her redirecting anything! If she can reach it to redirect than she should pull it in and pass on def board and shoot or reset on offensive board. That is what a Post player at final four level play is trained and expected to do!
We don't need a direct line. I think it's safe to assume the players are doing what the staff wants them to do. All we have to do to analyze is see who doesn't get minutes. Those are the people who aren't doing what the coaches want done. Stef gets minutes.

To me, a redirect is just a fast way to pass.

Comparing a 5 with those at other positions is invalid in my opinion. The appropriate comparison is to other 5s on our team and the teams we play. Dolson does well in that regard.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, it is a technique regularly used by UConn rebounders when they cannot reach the ball to grasp it. It only takes fingertips to redirect it. Dolson, Faris, KML, along with Maya in the past frequently did or do tip the ball out to teammates denying the opponent the rebound and keeping it alive. It is a technique practiced by teams in tip drills. Your awareness of basketball drills and skills seems limited if you think that rebounding is only about grabbing the ball. As was, also, noted Dolson often screens opponents off the boards allowing Faris and other players to sweep up the boards. These are standard team rebounding techniques that depend on united function of players. If you would like recommendations of drills teaching this I can recommend Pat Anderson's material.

Reaction Score
Like I said- YOU have zero idea what the coaching staff has told her. All you know is a general statement which Geno has made regarding the team as a whole.

That is just silly. It's LOTS easier to tip a ball in a direction than to gain full control. It's pretty obvious by that comment, you have never actually played the game.
If you don't like the way the team plays the game, not happy with Step or what she does on the floor, please pick a different team. It won't hurt my feelings.
I have played and I realize it is easier to tip it but as I said this is final four level NCAA play not eighth grade! Wake up! Buck can tip the ball and she gets zero min. play!!!!

Reaction Score
Actually, it is a technique regularly used by UConn rebounders when they cannot reach the ball to grasp it. It only takes fingertips to redirect it. Dolson, Faris, KML, along with Maya in the past frequently did or do tip the ball out to teammates denying the opponent the rebound and keeping it alive. It is a technique practiced by teams in tip drills. Your awareness of basketball drills and skills seems limited if you think that rebounding is only about grabbing the ball. As was, also, noted Dolson often screens opponents off the boards allowing Faris and other players to sweep up the boards. These are standard team rebounding techniques that depend on united function of players. If you would like recommendations of drills teaching this I can recommend Pat Anderson's material.
Unfortunately, from what I have viewed this season and in the past Stef tips balls she should be able to grasp but fumblers and tips, I doubt she has been taught how to fumble the ball. In addition if you are such a drill expert why don't you review the overall rebounds for and against in the past two games I doubt that number is what the drills intend!! I'm a fan but I'm not blinded by it, so as to not see the flaws in the way the team is functioning!!!!

Reaction Score
We don't need a direct line. I think it's safe to assume the players are doing what the staff wants them to do. All we have to do to analyze is see who doesn't get minutes. Those are the people who aren't doing what the coaches want done. Stef gets minutes.

To me, a redirect is just a fast way to pass.

Comparing a 5 with those at other positions is invalid in my opinion. The appropriate comparison is to other 5s on our team and the teams we play. Dolson does well in that regard.
I think that since she is the only five with experience she gets min. The last two games fives on the opposing teams Maryland and Penn ST pushed her around and she failed to rebound or score. If she plays like that against Stanford we will be killed!!!By the way we don't play against our selves!!!!!

Reaction Score
Which is why she was the high scorer in the Maryland game.
Yea she played great 6 of 13 2 of 4 total 14 points An amazing total for a final four post 3 inches taller then the opposing center!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, from what I have viewed this season and in the past Stef tips balls she should be able to grasp but fumblers and tips, I doubt she has been taught how to fumble the ball. In addition if you are such a drill expert why don't you review the overall rebounds for and against in the past two games I doubt that number is what the drills intend!! I'm a fan but I'm not blinded by it, so as to not see the flaws in the way the team is functioning!!!!

Numbers in a small sample tell you very little. I trust my eyes and my understanding of the game and the structure I see on the floor. Your observations or assumptions based on numbers are neither accurate nor display understanding of what you may or may not be seeing. I offered you a place where you could find information from someone else, not me nor my expertise exactly because you want to challenge anyone with a different opinion of yours as just having a different opinion. I offered you an opportunity to learn from real experts, not me.

It is because UConn has other solid rebounders like Faris, Stokes, KML, And Stewart, guards the perimeter well and shoots a better % than most teams resulting in fewer offensive rebound opportunities that you have to look at statistics with a more sophisticated eye than you are showing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yea she played great 6 of 13 2 of 4 total 14 points An amazing total for a final four post 3 inches taller then the opposing center!
Okay, you completely disqualify yourself as a troll and having no ability to read the facts before you. MD's center DeVaughn is 6'4", 1" shorter than Dolson. She is a Junior like Dolson. She played 30 minutes. She had 1 more rebound than Dolson. Try to be accurate.

In addition MD has plenty of height Hawkins, Pfirman, Howard, and All American Thomas all from 6'2" to 6'4". In that game Stef had almost 25% of our points and rebounds. Penn State had 98 minutes from players ranging from 6'2" to 6'4" including 6'4" Sr. Center Nikki Greene who is tremendously strong physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom