Kelly at PG? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kelly at PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do think we can all relax. There aren't any real problems with the team. The concerns noted in this thread will be conquered. It will just take a bit more time than normal because we have so many options to work through. Normally, a team has 5 main players with perhaps 2 more coming off the bench. When you have 9 prime time players who all need to get into the game for significant minutes, you end up with many combinations on the court in each game. We can't expect all of these combinations to click right away, but when they do, I pity the opposition. Although this is a disadvantage right now, there are also advantages.

The last two games were difficult for us. I, for one was nervous during the Maryland game, but we went on to win with little difficulty. The Penn State game was similar, but I wasn't concerned. Every time one of the subs come in, I saw one more nail in Penn State's coffin. Even though our offense wasn't fluid, our constant pressure from fresh faces exhausted PS during the last dozen minutes of the game. They could hardly lift their arms and were on the verge of crying for their mommies.

So, in summary, our various offensive combinations will become more effective with practice. Until that happens, our depth will carry the day. Now let's relax and enjoy the holiday season. No need to increase the blood pressure meds.

Reaction Score
The Bria that I love is alive and well. The what have you done for me lately yarders never stop amazing me. The best big game player on this
team has done a very, very good job at point ( even though we know she would be best at 2 guard) she is right now our best choice.
C'mon Kelly at point ? Really.Go Bria. Man our coaches just got dumb, playing Bria at point.
I agree with you phil. Can't understand the dumping on Bria. A year ago everyone was talking about "how fearless " she was ans still is. She is after all coming back from a bad ankle causing her to pretty much miss most of the preseason and first few games. Geno has always liked scoring point guards.

Reaction Score
That has been questioned infrequently but The Boneyard is probably at its best when folks like Scotter, Phil, and others note measurable realities, or doggy does pregame assessments, pap provides links to almost anything connected to the Huskies any where in the world, Blake keeps us abreast of high school sports, Rady and Chap get game threads going and help keep folks with only text access aware of what is happening in games, Biff tosses in one of his graphics, when Wire provides another test, Kib reminders to us of important American history and the sacrifices of those who have served our country, OC's insights for the experiences of coaching young elite athletes, JS's legal acuity and clarification for us of our many misassumptions about the function of the law, TonyC's exuberance for all things related to our kids, the seasoning of Milford's linguistic wit and Wonkster's sardonic quips, when knowldge is shared from the numerous backgrounds of all boards members including their fanaticism for our opponents or their research online of a current issue, or people make observations of options available to address instead of saying or that should or worse must be done. Very little of the real value of the Boneyard exists in us telling the coaching staff what they must do. When we pause to think about it we really have a very unique and great place here in this digital clubhouse.

Among the biggest losses I feel is the absence of OSouthbranch.

BTW, I started writing this before seeing Ozzie's answer which was on the next digital page but in our notes you have the long and the short of it.

"people make observations of options" is what i often read here, not " telling the coaching staff what to do". who would actually think that the coaching staff would have any interest in what they think? those observations often set off some of the more interesting discussions seen here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"people make observations of options" is what i often read here, not " telling the coaching staff what to do". who would actually think that the coaching staff would have any interest in what they think? those observations often set off some of the more interesting discussions seen here.
There are a number of posters that use terms like must or should and other absolutes in regards such things. Analysis is almost always helpful if it is left as analysis.

Reaction Score
There are a number of posters that use terms like must or should and other absolutes in regards such things. Analysis is almost always helpful if it is left as analysis.

i see nothing wrong with someone saying "should" if they feel strongly about something. other posters then are free to say "should not", if they feel that way. i don't see what the problem is with stating an opinion. "monday morning quarterbacking " has been around longer than anyone here, and it ain't going away anytime soon. what is to be avoided is attacking players, coaches, or other posters. stating an opinion is far from an attack.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hartley just needs a little more time to get into her groove. Making a PG change would be a really bad thing to tinker with. Mulkey is tinkering with Johnson at the point and Sims at the 2 and it just doesn't work.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
i see nothing wrong with someone saying "should" if they feel strongly about something. other posters then are free to say "should not", if they feel that way. i don't see what the problem is with stating an opinion. "monday morning quarterbacking " has been around longer than anyone here, and it ain't going away anytime soon. what is to be avoided is attacking players, coaches, or other posters. stating an opinion is far from an attack.
No problem with that being your opinion, however, I just think that most folks don't have a clue about strategy or game planning or what is going on with the team behind the scenes and therefore trying to outguess the coaches is just a vanity. Those folks, generally, prove a lack of understanding every time they say the things they do. It is really about the old saw better to be thought a fool and remain silent than to speak and remove all doubt. Could is usually better than should and simply saying I don't understand why Geno doesn't is probably best of all.

THC

Reaction Score
No problem with that being your opinion, however, I just think that most folks don't have a clue about strategy or game planning or what is going on with the team behind the scenes and therefore trying to outguess the coaches is just a vanity. Those folks, generally, prove a lack of understanding every time they say the things they do. It is really about the old saw better to be thought a fool and remain silent than to speak and remove all doubt. Could is usually better than should and simply saying I don't understand why Geno doesn't is probably best of all.

You must be a blast at a party.

Reaction Score

it would be a very quiet board, indeed, if posters only commented about things that they truly understood.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Has anyone on the BY suggested this?

Probably crazy but consider this:

1. The offense has not been flowing
2. Can't do PG by committee, someone's got to do most of the minutes
3. MJ is not ready
4. Love CD but she's too hobbled to take the bulk of the minutes
5. I have to agree with Doris Burke that Bria is not a true PG. Geno or CD said in the offseason that they were eager to move Bria to the 2, right?
6. Moving Kelly to the 1 actually helps in terms of other players being at their most natural position with Bria moving to 2 and KML being almost exclusively at the 3.
7. Kelly is probably our best passer, has superb instincts for the flow of the game and is always in the right position.

Probably crazy but there's some logic to it.
I don't think it,s crazy at all I think it makes a ton of sense with the lone exception that she may not be fast enough and you loose some rebounding and steals by putting her at the top of the key.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest problem is the lack of team speed, not point guard. I have only seen 2 games, in these games I have seen very few easy transition baskets.
They are fast but can not handle the ball as well as the seasoned guards of the past.

Reaction Score
Well, all the worrying and suggestions in the world from you or me isn't going to change a thing on this team. Our solutions have little connection to anything the team is doing in practice or that the coaches are likely to suggest. Relax and enjoy the ride.
Sorry I'm like Geno I'll only enjoy the ride if it leads to a championship for our team. And I don't think the seniors will enjoy a ride that doesn't include a championship! You play to WIN!!!!!!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If you assume (as I do) that Stef, Stewie, and KML all have to start, then you only have 2 guards that you can play at one time. It's clear to me (and, I would think, to most reasonable observers) that the two best guards on the team are Kelly and Bria. Neither one may be a natural point guard (neither are Caroline or Brianna), but they are clearly the best choices available, and they are very good guards. So (as Geno has suggested a few times), they will both just be guards, with no sharp distinction between the 1 and the 2. Unless you are willing to use Moriah as the starting PG (and give up a ton of experience and maturity just for the sake of having a natural and speedy PG), you are stuck with that situation. Nearly all of the remaining top teams would be delighted to be "stuck" with that, especially given the depth that lies behind it.

I have no comprehension of posters who say that Bria and Kelly cannot dribble, or that a team with those two plus Moriah and Brianna playing significant minutes does not have sufficient speed. If there aren't enough "easy transition baskets", that probably reflects a defensive rebounding issue. (Or the fact that Maryland and Penn State, being Top 10 teams, play good transition defense.)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
To me a good PG means that they start the offense, make the right read on which offensive set to run, get the ball in transition, etc. The way UConn plays almost negates having one player do all that. They run a motion offense where players are all over the court, and the PG really just makes the initial pass.

In transition, the rebounders are always looking for outlets, and it could be either of the guards or even KML or Stewart if they are in the right position.

Obviously, if you have someone like Sue Bird on your team, then you have more of a traditional PG. But those are few and far between, and I think Geno has done a great job adapting to the strengths of his players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
it would be a very quiet board, indeed, if posters only commented about things that they truly understood.
But it might be refreshing if they, actually, sought out the information. I gave a list of people who provide all sorts interesting insights and information and it only scratched the surface. I could have included VAMike, VAUConn, vtc, sakibomb, cardfan, easttexas, alex, cam, triduke, cferraro, HuskyNan, cohenzone, meyers and yourself and more as additional contributors who rarely give pretense to advising the staff as to what needs to be done to fix a team that just two weeks ago was being touted as competition for the title of best ever. Neither best nor broken accurately describes the team at this point. Sure everyone suggests a remedy once in awhile that's all and good, especially if they share some observable and learnable reasons for what they suggest. What I am speaking of are those who rarely post on the board except to state what must be done and usually aim it at the team and staff as if they were ignorant of the possibility of the problem.

Each year I have suggested that folks check out the basketball materials that are part of the Art and Science of Coaching series along with other books and websites related to basketball and coaching. Last year I purchased a four DVD set from All Access that focused ONLY on the goals and drills of the first three or four days of UConn practice. It is fascinating. And I bought two books on the Princeton offense. This year I am reading Bob Huggins contribution "Coaching Zone Offense: Attacking unconventional Defenses," and "Drills and Skills for Youth Basketball."

There is a great deal of information out there for anyone who truly wants to understand the game. One thing that happens when you begin to wade through the available material is you realize there is rarely any single thing that must be done and almost everything is dependent upon two or three other things. Watching a well coached team there are reasons for most everything and few things that are necessity and those are usually the fundamentals we teach the youngest players.

Reaction Score
Only Stef, KML, Kelly, Bria have to start, and 3 of those 4 are scorers. The 5th starter needs to be someone who doesn't have to have the ball a lot, and that would be Caroline. Having that starting five gives you much better spacing, and motion for the offense.

Reaction Score
If you assume (as I do) that Stef, Stewie, and KML all have to start, then you only have 2 guards that you can play at one time. It's clear to me (and, I would think, to most reasonable observers) that the two best guards on the team are Kelly and Bria. Neither one may be a natural point guard (neither are Caroline or Brianna), but they are clearly the best choices available, and they are very good guards. So (as Geno has suggested a few times), they will both just be guards, with no sharp distinction between the 1 and the 2. Unless you are willing to use Moriah as the starting PG (and give up a ton of experience and maturity just for the sake of having a natural and speedy PG), you are stuck with that situation. Nearly all of the remaining top teams would be delighted to be "stuck" with that, especially given the depth that lies behind it.

I have no comprehension of posters who say that Bria and Kelly cannot dribble, or that a team with those two plus Moriah and Brianna playing significant minutes does not have sufficient speed. If there aren't enough "easy transition baskets", that probably reflects a defensive rebounding issue. (Or the fact that Maryland and Penn State, being Top 10 teams, play good transition defense.)
I agree the rebounding especially defensive rebounds has been abysmal especially by Dolson who is not playing to her potential. the other problem is Stewie can't pass so instead of being in the High post where presumable she would be the greatest threat Dolson is stuck at high post which cuts down her effectiveness on the boards. And although Stef has an outside shot it is not as reliable as Stewie's and the range is not as great which allows the defenses to clog the middle.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree the rebounding especially defensive rebounds has been abysmal especially by Dolson who is not playing to her potential. the other problem is Stewie can't pass so instead of being in the High post where presumable she would be the greatest threat Dolson is stuck at high post which cuts down her effectiveness on the boards.
Actually Dolson is right were she is normally in rebounding. She is never going to be a great rebounder. She doesn't have that innate ability like a Rodman (right place, right time, just instinctively knows where the ball is going). Nor is she quick or athletic and can get to the ball. She can box out and is tall and works hard.

Dolson's not a bad rebounder, but not great. She will most likely end up in the top 10 of UCONN rebounders, career wise. She's on pace for around 900 which would put her right around Cash (910).

Stewart on the other hand could be a great rebounder. She's quick and athletic (jumping), tall and has the long reach. She may even have some of that innate ability of being in the right place, right time. She needs the strength component on boxing out, but that will probably come as she matures and hits the weights.

Both of them could be a little stronger holding onto the ball when they get it.

Reaction Score
Actually Dolson is right were she is normally in rebounding. She is never going to be a great rebounder. She doesn't have that innate ability like a Rodman (right place, right time, just instinctively knows where the ball is going). Nor is she quick or athletic and can get to the ball. She can box out and is tall and works hard.

Dolson's not a bad rebounder, but not great. She will most likely end up in the top 10 of UCONN rebounders, career wise. She's on pace for around 900 which would put her right around Cash (910).

Stewart on the other hand could be a great rebounder. She's quick and athletic (jumping), tall and has the long reach. She may even have some of that innate ability of being in the right place, right time. She needs the strength component on boxing out, but that will probably come as she matures and hits the weights.

I'm sure this off season Brianna will be pumping iron...

Reaction Score

Dolson may be on track for 900 but she is the tallest post UConn has had in a long time. She needs to be better! Or more precisely the team needs for her to be better! It is a poor commentary on her that Stokes who gets little playing time is a better rebounder than her. Remember When Cash was rebounding there were other players pulling down rebounds as well!!!!

Reaction Score
Dolson may be on track for 900 but she is the tallest post UConn has had in a long time. She needs to be better! Or more precisely the team needs for her to be better! It is a poor commentary on her...
Since none of us know what the coaching staff has asked of her, and what her instructions are in any game, I think it a presumptious to state "she needs to be better. & it's a poor commentary...blah blah blah".
Further, she's not your (or my) personal entertainment center. Dolson's rebounding might be YOUR point of emphasis, but it might not be the point of emphasis for the coaching staff.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Dolson may be on track for 900 but she is the tallest post UConn has had in a long time. She needs to be better! Or more precisely the team needs for her to be better! It is a poor commentary on her that Stokes who gets little playing time is a better rebounder than her. Remember When Cash was rebounding there were other players pulling down rebounds as well!!!!
No, she doesn't, what she needs to do is fulfill the staff' s expectations. She often redirects 3 to 4 rebounds a game to other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom