KC Star: Multiple sources- if Mizzou out of Big 12, Big 12 goes to 12, adds 3 teams | The Boneyard

KC Star: Multiple sources- if Mizzou out of Big 12, Big 12 goes to 12, adds 3 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2143

"After talking to several sources in the Big 12, the general feeling is this: If Missouri stays in the Big 12, the league is more likely to stay at 10, with TCU replacing Texas A&M as the lone move.

But if Mizzou goes to the SEC, the Big 12 could look more favorably at a 12-team arrangement. The idea is without Missouri the Big 12 would need more than one replacement to bring value to its football contracts."

Cites L'ville, WVU and even Cincy as targets.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well that would be the most disasterous scenario for UCONN. basically a dead big east with UCONN and RU left. absolutely worst possible scenario.

Reaction Score
If that is the likely scenario, I would hope that the BE6 teams would become united to form an all or nothing option for the Big 12. I know every team is for themseleves and the remaining BE6 does not have much leverage, but it is wishful thinking.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If that is the likely scenario, I would hope that the BE6 teams would become united to form an all or nothing option for the Big 12. I know every team is for themseleves and the remaining BE6 does not have much leverage, but it is wishful thinking.

That is as likely as the BE6 forming a united front for the ACC too. Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
some Twitter reports out of Louisville saying a report on UL's future expected to come today. Big XII?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Louiville is set to make an announcement within the next hour on it's future, per their local news outlet.

Rut-roh...

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Check that - UofL is announcing a contract extension for Charlie Strong.

Pitchforks down, people...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Aw man... now I'm not going to be able to get any work done today, either!

Reaction Score
The new and final name for the Big East.

Dead Seal Team 6

Reaction Score
Makes me wonder what the BE press conference is all about. I wonder is Marianetto has a prepared speech that will be radically altered over the few hours. I would hope it is not the generic " we are moving forward with expansion" presser.....I am really tired of those.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
does anyone wonder why UConn is not mentioned to the B12 but Cinci is?

do you really think it's about geographics?

the article cites concerns about TV markets, which of the 3 BE schools mentioned has a better TV market?

I think that's an indication people know we're heading elsewhere

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I read the whole article last night. It simply says it "may" look more favorably on 12 not that there is a definite consensus on 12 or that they can decide on which team will join Lousville.

If BYU isn't available it's the same problem. Lousville is a concession, a stoop to get to 12. It's not #11. If Missouri leaves it's WVU then lotsa arguing over 11/12 without BYU and likely no action.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
does anyone wonder why UConn is not mentioned to the B12 but Cinci is?

do you really think it's about geographics?

the article cites concerns about TV markets, which of the 3 BE schools mentioned has a better TV market?

I think that's an indication people know we're heading elsewhere

Yes, it's geographic. After three years at KU and two more in KC, with lots of Mizzou and other B12 alumns, the B12 has a very strong "Midwest" sense to itself. They don't want to associate with any state on the east coast. Ohio is still midwest, and Cincy is on the Kentucky border. WVU is more of an outlier, but has the strongest programs. If Mizzou leaves, the B12 center moves south and west.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this is the disaster some make it out to be. If Mizzou heads to the SEC and the B12 poaches WVU and/or UL, then it is highly likely the BB schools bolt (even if they don't, the prospective newbies would be silly to join). ND is not casting its non-FB program's lot w/that (Catholic BB playing aschools) group. It will need to find a home for its other sports, period. Maybe there will be a year or two of wandering the desert for UConn. But the BE conference is a dead man walking regardless. ANY BCS conference calling a FB BE program will be met w/open arms. We all look like we are working in the red light district of Amsterdam. We are all leaving, period. It's merely a question of when, not if. This is not the B12, there is nothing to pull us all back together. The only question is what will force ND's hand. Perhaps this is it.

Reaction Score
http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2143

"After talking to several sources in the Big 12, the general feeling is this: If Missouri stays in the Big 12, the league is more likely to stay at 10, with TCU replacing Texas A&M as the lone move.

But if Mizzou goes to the SEC, the Big 12 could look more favorably at a 12-team arrangement. The idea is without Missouri the Big 12 would need more than one replacement to bring value to its football contracts."

Cites L'ville, WVU and even Cincy as targets.

This would open the door for ND to ACC along with UCONN. IMO UCONN/RU and ND to approach the ACC about adding 4 teams. UConn and RU for all sports, ND and Gtown for olympic. If Maryland is against this go with ND and Temple for Olympic. Or go for 20 teams. UConn/RU and ND/Gtown/Nova/St Johns Olympic. It would be a cash cow. And it would get the ACC into MSG. Not sure why I am the one who has to think of these things. Someone at UConn should be suggesting this.

And before anyone says the Catholics wont break up....gues what...they will if the money is right...and it would be right.

Reaction Score
The ACC is not doing anything except all sports. Swofford may be sly but he's not stupid. No hybrid nonsense.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if the 20 team conference would work; however, if all else fails, I don't see the problem with that arrangement. Taking Nova, Georgetown, and St. John's continues some basketball rivalries and whatnot.

It's not going to happen. But I do like the idea.

Reaction Score
What does the ACC lose by offering ND a spot for olympic sports? They aren't losing their BCS bid, they aren't losing money, they aren't losing prestige, they aren't losing conference members. What is the downside that makes the move stupid for them? What is the downside for the ACC?

Reaction Score
The ACC is not doing anything except all sports. Swofford may be sly but he's not stupid. No hybrid nonsense.

How would 4 basketball powers joining the league for Olympic sports be a bad thing. They would only have a say in Olympic matters...a place where all 4 add a ton of value. The problem with the Big East was the even split between Bball and Football schools so as a result nothing could get accomplished. if the arrangment is 16 vs 4 the bball schools can't control policy and the paycheck will help them to keep there mouths shut and fall in line.

It makes sense.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Yes, it's geographic. After three years at KU and two more in KC, with lots of Mizzou and other B12 alumns, the B12 has a very strong "Midwest" sense to itself. They don't want to associate with any state on the east coast. Ohio is still midwest, and Cincy is on the Kentucky border. WVU is more of an outlier, but has the strongest programs. If Mizzou leaves, the B12 center moves south and west.

is that why TX, TX Tech, OK & OK St all tried to join the PAC 10?

are you really trying to argue that Ohio, KY & WV are "more mid-west" than us? that's your argument?

I'm just going to have to respectfully disagree, despite the fact that you're an expert on the mid-west.

Reaction Score
How would 4 basketball powers joining the league for Olympic sports be a bad thing. They would only have a say in Olympic matters...a place where all 4 add a ton of value. The problem with the Big East was the even split between Bball and Football schools so as a result nothing could get accomplished. if the arrangment is 16 vs 4 the bball schools can't control policy and the paycheck will help them to keep there mouths shut and fall in line.

It makes sense.

If I were Georgetown, I would never again hand over my destiny to football schools. I would take less money and control my destiny with other basketball-only catholics.

Reaction Score
If I were Georgetown, I would never again hand over my destiny to football schools. I would take less money and control my destiny with other basketball-only catholics.

Maybe that is Georgetown's problem. They in fact never did hand over their destiny to football playing schools. Instead, they along with 7 other basketball schools stymied the growth of the conference and now we are where we are. Going forward they should hitch their small private school wagon to athletic powerhouses who will pay their bills if they just play ball.

Reaction Score
Maybe that is Georgetown's problem. They in fact never did hand over their destiny to football playing schools. Instead, they along with 7 other basketball schools stymied the growth of the conference and now we are where we are. Going forward they should hitch their small private school wagon to athletic powerhouses who will pay their bills if they just play ball.
If there's a bb school who didn't hold anyone of the fb schools back, it would be Gtown. Their mutual rivalries and alliances are mostly with the football schools, namely us and Syracuse. They're also the highest profile of the bb schools and would be best served by aligning their interests with the bb schools. It'd be the smaller mouthfeeders like SHU, PC, and Depaul who would be holding back growth as they'd likely see it as a step towards them getting pushed out. Say the Big East decided to expand over the last few years, and made a play at other BCS schools, GTown wouldn't get kicked out, no way, no how. The same cannot be said for the other three stooges, thus why they'd block potential quality expansion options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom