Katrina McClain watch list--Napheesa Collier | The Boneyard

Katrina McClain watch list--Napheesa Collier

Reaction Score
Seriously? Naming a player that has not played a single second of women college basketball to the list of best power forward in the nation is just plain stupid.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
These lists get more and more ridiculous by the day.
Seriously? Naming a player that has not played a single second of women college basketball to the list of best power forward in the nation is just plain stupid.

pvdoggy...Agreed. The only way a self-respecting award should list a neophyte is if he/she plays her way onto the list at mid-season, as I understand one can do(perhaps correctly, perhaps not). Kind of sticks a sharp stick into the players who have worked their you-now-what's off to attain this level of attention and respect.

As for returning collegiate players, kudos to all and I'll be paying particular attention to Jess Shepard (obviously, Napheesa Collier, Lauren Cox, Ruthy Hebard, Alanna Smith, Alexis Jennings and Bella Alarie to name a few.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Anigwe from Cal was one of the finalists for this award last year, not even on the preseason watch list this season. I can only assume that's because they've moved her to the watch list for centers this season. There really is no rhyme or reason to positions they assign to players for these lists.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That's a good question. Certainly not as recognizable as Cheryl Miller or Ann Meyer Drysdale that other positional awards are named after.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Charli Collier is going to be a good player, but it's unusual to have freshmen on pre-season lists. I think having her on the list is strange. It's not as if she's Candace Parker, Maya Moore, or Breanna Stewart.

Reaction Score
The only list I’m concerned about is the one for “12 time national champions.” So long as the UConn Huskies are on that “list of one” at the end of this season, everything else will take care of itself.
So true!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have to disagree with you on this one. One of the objectives of these awards is to bring some much needed publicity to WCBB. Although she has not played a lick of WCBB yet Charli Collier is a much more recognizable name in WCBB than say Kianna Ibis of Arizona State. These aren't the actual awards, no good reason to exclude freshmen.

newsincerity

New Sincerity
Reaction Score
who is Katrina McClain?

She was before my time but I believe a 6'2" freak athlete power forward who played at Georgia and indeed at the Olympics...apparently more than one, but I know for sure she was on the 1996 team.

I became aware of her b/c Tara Vanderveer would often compare Nneka Ogwumike to her or say that Nneka has that type of potential.

newsincerity

New Sincerity
Reaction Score
Strangely, Kristine Anigwe 6'4" from Cal was on the list for this award last year despite playing center the previous two seasons, averaging about 21ppg and 9rpg both years. She still played center as a junior, but her stats fell to about 17ppg 8rpg, yet if you actually watched her play she played more like a PF than the previous two seasons. She is not on this PF list, so either she will be omitted from the watch lists entirely, or included in the watch list for centers after being classified as a PF last year. If a switch should have been made for her position from last year to this one, it should have been the reverse.

Reaction Score
Ruthy Hebard won this award last season over Pheesa. That’s when I stopped caring about these kind of awards as the people that make the decisions don’t choose the best player. They just look at stats. I believe Lou didn’t win at her position either.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The only thing you have to watch is UConn. They are at the top of every list. Everything else will take care of themselves.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Charli Collier is going to be a good player, but it's unusual to have freshmen on pre-season lists. I think having her on the list is strange. It's not as if she's Candace Parker, Maya Moore, or Breanna Stewart.

None of them was coached by Karen Aston, either. ;)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ruthy Hebard won this award last season over Pheesa. That’s when I stopped caring about these kind of awards as the people that make the decisions don’t choose the best player. They just look at stats. I believe Lou didn’t win at her position either.

You stopped caring in the award's first year! Ah well, it had a good run... :)

Reaction Score
Hebard was brutally efficient last year, you can't downplay how effective she was. Similar to how Napheesa was as a soph.

Agreed Hebard was the most efficient post in country last season . Whether she had the best #'s across the board that stretch of breaking the NCAA record was phenomenal .

Reaction Score
Difficult argument to make that Ruthy Hebard wasn't stiff competition last season. She was a wrecking ball, and at times unstoppable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom