Katie Lou is Vandy’s New Director of Player Development | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou is Vandy’s New Director of Player Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Congratulation Katie Lou. When you played the 4 years you were at UCONN, you were my favorite player, hands down. I;ve watched your game against USF when you hit 10 3's without a miss more than 20 times.At that time I wanted Geno to leave you in the game to set a new record for points at UCONN. Much to my regret he did not. Wishing you all the luck in the world at this new job and hope you do go into coaching. GO HUSKIES!!!
I cussed Geno out for taking her out of the game, she would have had no problem breaking the record. Maybe it is true that he doesn't want Precious' record broken, as some on the boneyard had said if I remember correctly. Maya had two chances where she scored 40 and 41 points, playing 36 and 38 minutes. The 40 point game was against Syracuse on 1-17-09, the final score was 107 - 53. The 41 point game was against Florida State on 12-21-10, the final score was 93-62. Lou played only 28 minutes with her 40 point game with final score being 100-44.

Reaction Score
Isn't game preparation and player development coaching? How can that be a non-coaching position? Confused.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Isn't game preparation and player development coaching? How can that be a non-coaching position? Confused.
I think for NCAA definition, coaching is on a basketball court with a basketball. There are a limited number of staff members allowed to do that for any team.

Reaction Score
Starting next season basketball teams can have two additional coaches, but the additional coaches can not recruit off campus. Maybe this is a place holder for next season. Arizona hired Aari McDonald for the same position.

Reaction Score
It could be the start of a trend to help WNBA players remain stateside during the offseason by giving them an opportunity to make some money as recruiters.
Can't help but wait to see if UConn does the same thing with some of the other famous UConn alumi to help with recruiting.
I imagine that a school can employ more than one famous WNBA player at a time depending on the pay scale.

The problem with this is the players in those sort of positions are not allowed to have anything to do with recruiting. To even recruit a tiny bit would be a massive NCAA violation.

sun

Reaction Score
The problem with this is the players in those sort of positions are not allowed to have anything to do with recruiting. To even recruit a tiny bit would be a massive NCAA violation.
Even if Katy can't be personally involved in every aspect of recruiting, her name can be mentioned as being an advisor and/or strategist to the team and perhaps she can be present for a meet & greet during official visits.
If Katy Lou becomes a member of the staff holding classroom sessions that involve the players and/or the coaches, then that would become a matter of public record that can be mentioned to the recruits, that they'll be learning under the personal guidance & oversight of WNBA player Katy Lou.
She can advise each player individually and also along with the entire team.
That could be part of Vandy's WBB program brochure, that Katy Lou is on the staff to personally strategize with players & coaches to help them develop game plans, develop the roles of players, advise etc.....
The school doesn't need to keep it a secret that Katy Lou is on their staff and personally helping & overseeing player development at Vandy.
The coach is offering their program as a package to recruits that are undecided about where to attend.
If Katy Lou is there and has an office and gives classroom instruction then that's better than not having her there and being able to tout her involvement in the Vandy program.
It's based on Katy's reputation and impressing recruits.
Katy can travel with a coach on recruiting trips as a member of the Vandy staff.
What would be more impressive than that?
It's a sales pitch that may work to build a pipeline to bring in better players who may like Shea but also love the idea of rubbing elbows with Katy.
Here's some of the recruiting rules that coaches follow when they contact recruits.

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Two questions: 1) I can’t wrap my head around what being an on-campus recruiter entails - thoughts? 2) Has anyone heard anything about whether UConn and Vanderbilt will start scheduling games in the near future?

Reaction Score
Two questions: 1) I can’t wrap my head around what being an on-campus recruiter entails - thoughts? 2) Has anyone heard anything about whether UConn and Vanderbilt will start scheduling games in the near future?
I've also been puzzling what an on-campus recruiter is, and I've come up with the following: I think it simply means this particular staffer can't visit or evaluate recruits away from the college campus. They can't recruit at AAU events, high school games, visit schools or visit recruits in home. What they can do is contact recruits by phone, e-mail text or by whatever means possible as long as it is during times when it's legal for coaches and staffers to make contact. I also assume they can have contact with recruits when they visit the campus. That's really the only explanation that makes sense to me.

As for Vandy and UConn playing, I think it will be a while. Vandy's roster is in bad shape. Next season there will be five freshmen and three sophomores, and you never know what freshmen will give you.

sun

Reaction Score
Here's a generic job description for a Director of Player Development.
Notice that it can entail a lot of different duties including being a motivator and trying to improve player performance.

"The Director of Player Development will work closely with the General Manager, Head Coach, Assistant Coaches, Scouting Staff and Player Personnel staff in all areas of player development including: player evaluation, player acquisition, player retention, player rehabilitation/injury prevention, player training and player education."...more

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
What makes this discussion interesting is that Vandy currently has a "Director of Recruiting" and it's filled by not one of KLS's collegiate teammates, but rather, by a former opponent. Kristina "Koko" Nelson was the sixth man and back-up center for the Notre Dame WCBB teams during the time KLS was at UConn. She's been at Vandy a few years. Here's her job description:

"Koko Nelson joined head coach Shea Ralph’s staff as the Vanderbilt women’s basketball director of recruiting, in January of 2022 and they 2022-23 season is her second on staff with the program.

"Nelson will be responsible for aiding the coaching staff in all areas of recruiting including travel, correspondence, campus visits, and sharing what makes Vanderbilt women’s basketball an elite program among the SEC and national competition.

"She served in a similar capacity with first-year head coach Clark Lea and the Vanderbilt football program as the recruiting operations coordinator. She joined the Commodores in 2021, guiding the program to one its best recruiting classes in program history."

Koko was known as the mother hen to the NCAA championship squad, playing with personalities as distinct from Jess Shepard and quiet Jackie Young to the "A types" of Arike Ogunbowale and Mabrey2, Marina. I'm sure she and Katie Lou will have some good stories to swap in between their duties. Good luck to KLS (and Koko for that matter).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
What makes this discussion interesting is that Vandy currently has a "Director of Recruiting" and it's filled by not one of KLS's collegiate teammates, but rather, by a former opponent. Kristina "Koko" Nelson was the sixth man and back-up center for the Notre Dame WCBB teams during the time KLS was at UConn. She's been at Vandy a few years. Here's her job description:

"Koko Nelson joined head coach Shea Ralph’s staff as the Vanderbilt women’s basketball director of recruiting, in January of 2022 and they 2022-23 season is her second on staff with the program.

"Nelson will be responsible for aiding the coaching staff in all areas of recruiting including travel, correspondence, campus visits, and sharing what makes Vanderbilt women’s basketball an elite program among the SEC and national competition.

"She served in a similar capacity with first-year head coach Clark Lea and the Vanderbilt football program as the recruiting operations coordinator. She joined the Commodores in 2021, guiding the program to one its best recruiting classes in program history."

Koko was known as the mother hen to the NCAA championship squad, playing with personalities as distinct from Jess Shepard and quiet Jackie Young to the "A types" of Arike Ogunbowale and Mabrey2, Marina. I'm sure she and Katie Lou will have some good stories to swap in between their duties. Good luck to KLS (and Koko for that matter).
Very cool.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I've also been puzzling what an on-campus recruiter is, and I've come up with the following: I think it simply means this particular staffer can't visit or evaluate recruits away from the college campus. They can't recruit at AAU events, high school games, visit schools or visit recruits in home. What they can do is contact recruits by phone, e-mail text or by whatever means possible as long as it is during times when it's legal for coaches and staffers to make contact. I also assume they can have contact with recruits when they visit the campus. That's really the only explanation that makes sense to me.

As for Vandy and UConn playing, I think it will be a while. Vandy's roster is in bad shape. Next season there will be five freshmen and three sophomores, and you never know what freshmen will give you.
What can you share with us re the five freshman? [I don't go to the General board very often]

Reaction Score
What can you share with us re the five freshman? [I don't go to the General board very often]
If you follow the Vanderbilt link in the tweet, you'll see Shea's evaluation of the players. The one overriding theme is height. Vandy has been so small for so many years. This five player class includes two 6'2 players, one 6'3 and one 6'4.

It seems Khamil Pierre (Hoopgurlz #63) is the cream of the crop along with Agata Makurat, who had older sisters play at UConn and Utah. Pierre, 6'2, is a tremendous athlete (she can dunk) and is considered one of the better players in Arizona. Makurat, also 6'2, handles the ball well and can really shoot it. Considered among the top 15 international recruits by WorldWideHoops.

Mitchell, the 6'4 player out of Colorado, had a solid list of offers. She's not an Edwards or Boston level athlete, but she's big and strong and does have a skill set. She's much needed.

The small guard, Madison Greene, is strong and quick and is said to be an outstanding defender. That's right up Shea's alley for a point guard.

The other player, 6'3 Bailey Gilmore, looks like the kind of project you want on your team. Moves very well, is academically elite and could have a higher ceiling than I foresee. Shea likes her, and she was recently named a McDonald's All-American nominee, so smarter people than me are seeing something I'm not seeing.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If you follow the Vanderbilt link in the tweet, you'll see Shea's evaluation of the players. The one overriding theme is height. Vandy has been so small for so many years. This five player class includes two 6'2 players, one 6'3 and one 6'4.

It seems Khamil Pierre (Hoopgurlz #63) is the cream of the crop along with Agata Makurat, who had older sisters play at UConn and Utah. Pierre is a tremendous athlete (she can dunk) and is considered one of the better players in Arizona. Makurat handles the ball well and can really shoot it. Considered among the top 15 international recruits by WorldWideHoops.

Mitchell, the 6'4 player out of Colorado, had a solid list of offers. She's not an Edwards or Boston level athlete, but she's big and strong and does have a skill set. She's much needed.

The small guard, Madison Greene, is strong and quick and is said to be an outstanding defender. That's right up Shea's alley for a point guard.

The other player, 6'3 Bailey Gilmore, looks like the kind of project you want on your team. Moves very well, is academically elite and could have a higher ceiling than I foresee. Shea likes her, and she was recently named a McDonald's All-American nominee, so smarter people than me are seeing something I'm not seeing.

Thanks so much!! Size! What a concept!

The Makarat kid rings a distant bell. Hope that works out for both parties.

Big smile anyway!

Reaction Score
Even if Katy can't be personally involved in every aspect of recruiting, her name can be mentioned as being an advisor and/or strategist to the team and perhaps she can be present for a meet & greet during official visits.
If Katy Lou becomes a member of the staff holding classroom sessions that involve the players and/or the coaches, then that would become a matter of public record that can be mentioned to the recruits, that they'll be learning under the personal guidance & oversight of WNBA player Katy Lou.
She can advise each player individually and also along with the entire team.
That could be part of Vandy's WBB program brochure, that Katy Lou is on the staff to personally strategize with players & coaches to help them develop game plans, develop the roles of players, advise etc.....
The school doesn't need to keep it a secret that Katy Lou is on their staff and personally helping & overseeing player development at Vandy.
The coach is offering their program as a package to recruits that are undecided about where to attend.
If Katy Lou is there and has an office and gives classroom instruction then that's better than not having her there and being able to tout her involvement in the Vandy program.
It's based on Katy's reputation and impressing recruits.
Katy can travel with a coach on recruiting trips as a member of the Vandy staff.
What would be more impressive than that?
It's a sales pitch that may work to build a pipeline to bring in better players who may like Shea but also love the idea of rubbing elbows with Katy.
Here's some of the recruiting rules that coaches follow when they contact recruits.
Her name is Katie Lou. She's a UConn great and deserves your respect.

sun

Reaction Score
Her name is Katie Lou. She's a UConn great and deserves your respect.
Look at her Eurobasket player page which refers to her only as "Katie Samuelson."

Just imagine what many of her fans in Europe and around the world are calling her after reading her player page.
There's no Katie Lou name to be found on the entire page.
It lists her name as only being Katie Samuelson over & over more than a dozen times at the bottom of the page.
But it's the same Katie Lou!
Maybe someone can get them to fix it and get her name right.

1Samuelson_Katie.jpg

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Look at her Eurobasket player page which refers to her only as "Katie Samuelson."

Just imagine what many of her fans in Europe and around the world are calling her after reading her player page.
There's no Katie Lou name to be found on the entire page.
It lists her name as only being Katie Samuelson over & over more than a dozen times at the bottom of the page.
But it's the same Katie Lou!
Maybe someone can get them to fix it and get her name right.

1Samuelson_Katie.jpg

Lou’s mother calls her Lou. It doesn’t get more authoritative than that.

As Johnny Cash made known, it's not easy being a boy named Sue. Likewise, it can't be easy being a girl named Lou, but frankly that's how Katie Lou Samuelsonlikes to be known.

Her full and God-given name is Katie Lou, an offshoot from her grandmother Mary Lou, according to Samuelson's mother Karen.

"She prefers Lou to Katie Lou," Karen said. "Especially to those she's closest to. We all call her Lou."

sun

Reaction Score
Lou’s mother calls her Lou. It doesn’t get more authoritative than that.

As Johnny Cash made known, it's not easy being a boy named Sue. Likewise, it can't be easy being a girl named Lou, but frankly that's how Katie Lou Samuelsonlikes to be known.

Her full and God-given name is Katie Lou, an offshoot from her grandmother Mary Lou, according to Samuelson's mother Karen.

"She prefers Lou to Katie Lou," Karen said. "Especially to those she's closest to. We all call her Lou."

I didn't argue about what her name is.
I simply showed what many in the world know her as and you allow an innocent misspelling to lead to harassment over it.

Reaction Score
I simply showed what many in the world know her as and you allow an innocent misspelling to lead to harassment over it.
You shouldn't be arguing at all. You're wrong and just should have apologized for it.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Yet you misspelled her first name 8 times in your post.

I have known "Lou" since she was 11 and I have never heard anyone call her Katie. except stupid Julianne Viani, of CBS Sports who tried to call Lou over after a game for an interview. Lou ignored her until the UConn asst pointed Lou over to her for the interview. As Nan said she is called Lou by everyone, and I mean everyone. Her HS coach, her club coach, Geno, CD, and Shea. Her teammates call her Lou. Team USA coaches call her Lou, Her coach in Spain for 2 years Roberto Iniguez, calls her Lou. Her WNBA coaches, all 4 of them(soon to be 5) call her Lou.

Perhaps people in some parts of the world might call her Katie, but at least they can spell Katie.

How anyone can type just Katy, is beyond belief. It is on the top of the topic.

I'm done!!
Katie Lou Samuelson Basketball GIF by CB PERFUMERIAS AVENIDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member