Katie Lou and Coach Jen win FIBA 3x3 AmeriCup Title (merged) | The Boneyard

Katie Lou and Coach Jen win FIBA 3x3 AmeriCup Title (merged)

Reaction Score
Good for Lou! She was heartbroken to lose out on the Olympics 3x3 due to Covid. Hopefully this leads to a second chance at Olympic Gold!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good for Lou! She was heartbroken to lose out on the Olympics 3x3 due to Covid. Hopefully this leads to a second chance at Olympic Gold!

She’s already got a few medals

Samuelson, a six-time 5-on-5 gold medalist, will take on her second 3x3 assignment after helping qualify the USA for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics with a first-place finish at 2021 FIBA 3x3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I'm amazed she has gotten herself into 3 on 3 shape this soon. Not the first time she's done something remarkable, though.

I met Lou about 3 weeks before she gave birth to Aliya. It was at her parents house. She just finished a session on the Peleton cycle. She stayed in great shape all during pregnancy. I didn't ask her but I am sure she was shooting hoops too. I would be willing to bet Shea worked her out too, since she has been at Vandy.

Reaction Score
I met Lou about 3 weeks before she gave birth to Aliya. It was at her parents house. She just finished a session on the Peleton cycle. She stayed in great shape all during pregnancy. I didn't ask her but I am sure she was shooting hoops too. I would be willing to bet Shea worked her out too, since she has been at Vandy.
Kevin Demille said recently it has been good for Vandy's players to see Katie Lou working her way back into game shape to get an idea of the work ethic it takes to reach an elite level. Also, Shea had indicated she planned to have Lou, Kevin and Kyla Irwin practice with the team in some situations.

Anyone know how to watch the 3x3 competition?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
U.S.A. beat the D.R., 21-10 in the late game. Hamby had 12 points. Lou had 3 on 1-3 and 1-4 shooting plus 4 boards.

In the prior game, Hamby had 9 and Lou had 6.

Lou and Dearica have a couple of things in common: they have very young children, and they know Liv as a former teammate and family member, respectively.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I'm expecting that Lou could have a breakout year in the W.
I believe that both Lou and Karlie are free agents next WNBA season. I hope the Sparks keep both.
Today is the first day, in a long time, that both are playing on the same day. KLS in Puerto Rico and Karlie for the London Lions, a home game in the British WBBL.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that both Lou and Karlie are free agents next WNBA season. I hope the Sparks keep both.
Today is the first day, in a long time, that both are playing on the same day. KLS in Puerto Rico and Karlie for the London Lions, a home game in the British WBBL.
Lou just needs to be in the right situation. I think her game and confidence have grown since coming into the league. She can look at her good friend Phee to see what is possible.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow!!!! Hamby took a lob pass and scored at the buzzer. The ball was about 6" out of her hand when the clock hit :00.0. Final: U.S.A. 21, Brazil 20. Lou led the way with 9 (4-6 from the arc).

Brazil was up 5 late, but Lou hit 2 from the arc to cut the gap to 1. Kelsey Mitchell attacked, but couldn't buy a jump shot. Down the stretch, Lou missed 3 FTs and Kelsey missed 2 FTs, but Lou hit 2 bombs, the U.S. forced a turnover, and Hamby scored just in time.

The women get Gold. The men did not make the gold medal game.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson-- playing in her first competitive event since becoming a mother four months ago -- came back in style to help lead the U.S. Women to a title, along with Dearica Hamby, Kelsey Mitchell and Camile Zimmerman. The U.S.A. beat Brazil 21-20 in a thriller, with Hamby hitting the game winner and Katie Lou draining two long bombs.
Full article below.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson-- playing in her first competitive event since becoming a mother four months ago -- came back in style to help lead the U.S. Women to a title, along with Dearica Hamby, Kelsey Mitchell and Camile Zimmerman. The U.S.A. beat Brazil 21-20 in a thriller, with Hamby hitting the game winner and Katie Lou draining two long bombs.
Full article below.

This is so cool for Katie Lou, who has been star-crossed nearly throughout her career, with injuries striking at the wrong times at UConn and limiting her ascendance in the WNBA, then came a brief but untimely bout with Covid costing her a likely Olympic gold.

I watched her play great basketball while based in Spain for a couple of winters, ranking as one of the very best while competing among all the WNBA stars, and she's become a competent, potentially better WNBA player.

My fingers are crossed she gets that chance at Olympics gold I hope the joys of motherhood and good health will propel her to excel in coming seasons for the Sparks, too.

Congrats to teammate Dearica Hamby, too... she's one of the precious few former Deacon to succeed at the pro level.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's the USA basektball write-up about the game, which includes a video clip of the winning basket.

Another cool aspect of this team is it features two mothers -- Dearica and Katie Lou -- on the U.S.A. team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom