Katie Lou – The Human Piñata | The Boneyard

Katie Lou – The Human Piñata

Reaction Score
When I was younger and learning how to shoot pool, one of the first sayings I heard was: “If you can't shoot pool, shoot hard.” This translates into: If you really stink at shooting pool, just blast away – it looks impressive as the balls scurry about the table – even though you will always lose the game to the more skilled player.

I have watch Katie Lou take every hard shot that inferior players laid on her again and again this year. It's really quite savage and a testament to how really bad many of these third-rate players and teams are with their sophomoric attempts to play against UCONN.

If you just look at Katie Lou, a girl with abundant natural beauty, you might get the impression of a delicate flower that would bend and break in a strong wind. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Katie Lou is a ROCK. She has demonstrated over and over again that she will take the best shot you can give and get right back up with that smile on her face that says: “Is that all you can do?”

Without a doubt, She is one of the toughest players, both mentally and physically, in woman's college basketball today. She is a human piñata. But no matter how hard or how many times you strike her – she will never break open and you will never get your prize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We had a piñata at our daughter's birthday once. The kids went crazy when all the candy came spilling out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When I was younger and learning how to shoot pool, one of the first sayings I heard was: “If you can't shoot pool, shoot hard.” This translates into: If you really stink at shooting pool, just blast away – it looks impressive as the balls scurry about the table – even though you will always lose the game to the more skilled player.
I have watch Katie Lou take every hard shot that inferior players laid on her again and again this year. It's really quite savage and a testament to how really bad many of these third-rate players and teams are with their sophomoric attempts to play against UCONN.
If you just look at Katie Lou, a girl with abundant natural beauty, you might get the impression of a delicate flower that would bend and break in a strong wind. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Katie Lou is a ROCK. She has demonstrated over and over again that she will take the best shot you can give and get right back up with that smile on her face that says: “Is that all you can do?”

Without a doubt, She is one of the toughest players, both mentally and physically, in woman's college basketball today. She is a human Piata. But no matter how hard or how many times you strike her – she will never break open and you will never get your prize.
Can you please meet me at the pool hall around the corner from that one bar you used to go to. Bring just $200 (more if you want) we'll play $50/game. Tell your significant other you'll be back in an about hour.
KLS is no delicate flower and neither are any of the UCONN players-they give as much as get. Rough play has been part of the game since UCONN got good. What else is the other team going to do?
If you want to really see rough play look at the replay of the last time UCONN played Rutgers in NCAA tournament. Stewie was assaulted (1st degree) twice in the first quarter. With Stewie in foul trouble the rest of the fought back UCONN style and buried Rutgers.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I have watched Lou through HS. She took way more crap from bad HS players than she has so far at UConn. The refs would only call so much in fouls and then she was on her own. Every time she got hit or knocked down she got up and made the other team pay.
#NoCaliforniaNonsenseWithThatGirl.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Without a doubt, She is one of the toughest players, both mentally and physically, in woman's college basketball today. She is a human piñata. But no matter how hard or how many times you strike her – she will never break open and you will never get your prize.
Early on this year Geno, when commenting about Lou's easy going nature said, "I don't think she knows how beat up she's going to get this year". Since then I haven't been surprised with the pounding she's taken. I have been surprised with how well she's taking it.

Reaction Score
Poor Lou. It's too bad we don't have an imposing physical player on this team to play the role of enforcer.

I don't know about that. I think our middleweight, Gabby, can beat the smithereens out of anyone I've seen his year including the heavyweights. You don't have to smack 'em in the head.

Reaction Score

Other than the shot blocking prowess which is developing ...Katie Lou is Stewie 2 :D.

Reaction Score
Can you please meet me at the pool hall around the corner from that one bar you used to go to. Bring just $200 (more if you want) we'll play $50/game. Tell your significant other you'll be back in an about hour.
KLS is no delicate flower and neither are any of the UCONN players-they give as much as get. Rough play has been part of the game since UCONN got good. What else is the other team going to do?
If you want to really see rough play look at the replay of the last time UCONN played Rutgers in NCAA tournament. Stewie was assaulted (1st degree) twice in the first quarter. With Stewie in foul trouble the rest of the fought back UCONN style and buried Rutgers.

In pool i was told to shoot hard and yell ---S=it! (anything that goes, except 9 ball)

Back to ping pong balls ---the first I really remember was DT. Tenn, ND, Okla and many others created a new art-form of elbow, banging, holding, pushing grabbing--you name it they did it. The first time i heard--"they can't call all the fouls" came from Geno then Megan Pattyson. That continued with Maya--ND won a prelim game doing that to Maya. Stewie was taken out of the game (basketball not a specific game) after 6 or8 games and she was leading Uconn frosh scoring record, until the Paradise Jam--and a game or two later--it knocked the wind out her sails--until Geno kicked her tail just before the NCAA/s and the rest is history.
Yes when you do not have the talent to compete--use physical force --the refs cannot call EVERy Foul--Geno repeated that again the past game. ECU

Reaction Score
Other than the shot blocking prowess which is developing ...Katie Lou is Stewie 2 :D.
Katie Lou will never have Stewies athleticism or blocking prowess--her arm are much shorter--Stew had 7 ft 2 inch wing span. I'll take Katie Lou as she is and love every darn minute i can see her. She is amazing is so many ways--i have never compared her to Stew--but if I did I'm sure there are things klS does better!!

Reaction Score
Actually, Kia strikes me as the tough guy that nobody wants to mess with.
Kia is a slight little thing compared to a solid post. Imagine Lou gets hit in the face a few times. Then you see Stef set a really hard screen, or makes a cut to the basket where she "accidentally" takes out the defender. You get hit by Stef or Kiah and you will be feeling it two weeks from now. We don't have that type of player on our team this year.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou will never have Stewies athleticism or blocking prowess--her arm are much shorter--Stew had 7 ft 2 inch wing span. I'll take Katie Lou as she is and love every darn minute i can see her. She is amazing is so many ways--i have never compared her to Stew--but if I did I'm sure there are things klS does better!!
Sorry my compliment on Katie went over your head. My statement was based on the fact her game and that of Stewie have a LOT of similarities. As for shot blocking it is not just wing span ;) it is timing and much more. You could reference the 5'8" EC player that blocked Katie's shot in the lane on that.
I have also seen her back off on an easy to block shot on several occasions and wonder is she is that smart or is that Geno's orders? This as we can't afford to get starters into foul trouble due to depth of bench this year. Nice call either way.
I love Katie's overall game and what she brings to the court here. I'll try to get better getting my point across in the future. :)

Reaction Score
It's really quite savage and a testament to how really bad many of these third-rate players and teams are .

It's very true that in martial arts, the beginners, the less skilled, do the most damage to the best practitioners, precisely because the better fighters have much more control and skill and CAN avoid injuring their opponent. The beginners do the most damage on the skilled because they are out of control.

Your point here is well made and true.

C

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
its basketball... stuff happens, geesh this isn't ballet (well thats tought too, those toes).

KLS isnt the 1st to be "beat up"...

Undefeated and still!

Reaction Score

I don't know if I totally agree with your characterization but she has been banged around a great deal and taken a lot of shots and has shown an inherent toughness that can't be denied. She's so enjoyable to watch and I'm so impressed on how she's enhanced her overall game this year. I'd seen a lot in her game from the midst of her freshman year (after struggling with her shot a bit, in the beginning) but she's done so much more this year and it has to make some of our opponents crazy with how easy she makes some things look. She is so fluid moving out there and her shot is such a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Actually, Kia strikes me as the tough guy that nobody wants to mess with.

Because of Kia's hockey past, I always refer to Kia as a Hockey Player in a basketball suit.

And now...

We have another one!

Molly is also a Hocky Player in a basketball suit. Both very strong, bull-like players with alot of heart and smarts.

One more and we'll have a full hockey line to sub in when the big girls on the other side need a sharp lesson for knocking Katie Lou.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia is a slight little thing
Don't know about Kia as a "slight little thing." She's 6', solid as a rock and probably the strongest person on the team. She's also tough as nails. If you remember last year's championship game, Kia just about ripped Alexis Peterson's arm off when Peterson was foolish enough to attempt to wrestle the ball away from Kia.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Poor Lou. It's too bad we don't have an imposing physical player on this team to play the role of enforcer.

Seriously? This quote from The Bristol Press in another thread.....

"Samuelson and Collier took shots to the face. Nurse was tied up by an East Carolina player and then sent her flying to the floor as the jump ball call was made."

Frankly, I think she's had to reign herself in a bit to avoid more time on the bench. There isn't necessarily a correlation with size and toughness, either.
Honestly, and I know this likely will never happen thanks to Geno, but if ever one of our ladies got into a scrum with an opposing player on the floor I'm quite certain Kia would be the one to take care of business. I mean, look around, who else do you see jumping into the fray? Maybe Molly once she's earned her stripes. We really do have a team of nice kids. I agree that with another poster who observed that Kia is the closest thing we've had to Diana in terms of attitude and demeanor (toughness) in quite some time, although she hides it better.

Reaction Score
Somehow a lot of posters think Lou is lanky/thin/unimposing...I don't really buy that...she has gained a lot of both upper body and lower body strength this year and it shows...she may not have the muscle definition of a Crystal Dangerfield but she is a strong player....IMO she doesn't need protection from anyone and were it not for the short bench foul issues she would be dishing out a bit more KLS "love" ....but for those that think having an enforcer would be helpful, can't wait to see Camara play next year

Reaction Score
Sorry my compliment on Katie went over your head. My statement was based on the fact her game and that of Stewie have a LOT of similarities. As for shot blocking it is not just wing span ;) it is timing and much more. You could reference the 5'8" EC player that blocked Katie's shot in the lane on that.
I have also seen her back off on an easy to block shot on several occasions and wonder is she is that smart or is that Geno's orders? This as we can't afford to get starters into foul trouble due to depth of bench this year. Nice call either way.
I love Katie's overall game and what she brings to the court here. I'll try to get better getting my point across in the future. :)

Point taken!! Your point was well presented. You are exactly correct--that blocking shots-as Kiah showed--requires precise timing--among other attributes--your example could have been Kia, or Gabby stuffing a 6-5, they both have done it--being in the right position and having the big (as Butler does) bring the ball down to where it may be taken. Some kids, like Moriah, have springs in their knees-and (she) they have stuffed bigger players--Gabby is a given in this area.
i'm a really big Katie Lou fan--as I am a fan of everyone on the team--and I'll be hyped up for a specific one depending on the game--
I look for BIG things from the starting 4 the other four I cheer loudly for small improvements. I'm rarely disappointed.

Reaction Score
Somehow a lot of posters think Lou is lanky/thin/unimposing...I don't really buy that...she has gained a lot of both upper body and lower body strength this year and it shows...she may not have the muscle definition of a Crystal Dangerfield but she is a strong player....IMO she doesn't need protection from anyone and were it not for the short bench foul issues she would be dishing out a bit more KLS "love" ....but for those that think having an enforcer would be helpful, can't wait to see Camara play next year

Don't buy it that Katie Lou is thin---if you compare her pix from her earlier Freshman year--she's put on weight and muscle. Lanky// Maybe?? A six ft 3 inch solid player--can be imposing to some 5 ft 7 players
Muscle definition--some people put on long muscles--and body strength comes a lot from body (as opposed to arms) and leg strength--all of which KLS has===I would not be so sure she isn't handing out a lot of physical violence as is heaped upon her. She is tough--she takes some serious hits--gets up and scores. Toughness isn't all in the body---really tough people are tough mentally--can take the hit and deliver the goods.

You and I are on the same plain when it comes to Katie Lou!!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Seems to me that if all the players on the team, starters and subs alike, aren't in really excellent physical condition, then something is wrong with the training regimen the coaching staff demands. And we know that isn't the case.

Granted that physical condition isn't the same as pure strength and that our players typically get stronger as they progress through their careers, but I don't think I'd want to mess with any of them.

Side note on the subject: One of my brothers was a high school champion in both track and cross country. Thin as a rail (still is as he just turned 70; was still running until a couple of years ago) but tough as nails. He was drafted during the Vietnam War but failed the physical because he didn't meet the minimum weight requirement for his height. I remember his recounting how the Army doctor muttered about what a shame it was to have to let "this one get away" because the doc knew that despite what the height/weight table said, my brother was more than enough physically capable of serving.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

Yes, you will. The only time a skilled player shoots hard is on the break. I shot pool for 65 years before my eyes and endurance got "bad" and have won more than my fair share of cash from wannabe, know-it-all, fun players. Favorite game was 9 ball; fast and fatal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom