Kathryn Westbeld | The Boneyard

Kathryn Westbeld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have people seen Jim Fuller's post about Kathryn Westbeld? He spoke to her father who reportedly stated they had not heard much from us (UCONN) over the past few weeks. If we need a couple of 'bigs' and so many are gone, does this make sense?To get Wilson would be GREAT, but don't we need more in the way of size? I don't have the experience with analyzing the recruiting process that many of you have; but doesn't it seem we should be making an effort with her?

Reaction Score
There's a big difference between contact in recent weeks and say recent months. The absence of contact could have various interpretations but not having any facts, I wouldn't place too much meaning to this.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There's a big difference between contact in recent weeks and say recent months. The absence of contact could have various interpretations but not having any facts, I wouldn't place too much meaning to this.

I'm guessing it means there hasn't been much contact over the last few weeks. It says not "much" contact. Maybe a short"howyadoin".

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Perhaps Geno has his eye on somebody else?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
It's interesting that Kathryn's Dad still listed Duke as one of her options just 2 days ago (LINK) but 8 days ago Kathryn tweeted that she will decide on a college after her official visits, which are Notre Dame, OSU, and UConn (LINK). Poor communication? Or is Dad trying really hard not to steal his daughter's thunder by giving anything away?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's interesting that Kathryn's Dad still listed Duke as one of her options just 2 days ago (LINK) but 8 days ago Kathryn tweeted that she will decide on a college after her official visits, which are Notre Dame, OSU, and UConn (LINK). Poor communication? Or is Dad trying really hard not to steal his daughter's thunder by giving anything away?

She listed ND first. That must mean something, no?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
She listed ND first. That must mean something, no?
As a Notre Dame fan, I hope it means something, but if I were a UConn fan, I would just assume it was alphabetical order.

Reaction Score
There are times when I wonder if some people even really watch UConn Women's Basketball or women's basketball in general.

If Geno doesn't get Wilson, he is not going to just get a "big" girl or "size" simply to get it. And certainly not to satisfy nervous nelly posters here.

Geno has always shown preference to guards/wings over posts. That's why he regularly plays with 4 guards and 1 post player. I got news for ya. Four of our starters- Hartley, Doty, Faris, KML - 3 guards and a wing. Worked out fine.

I'm not sure if most of you noticed, but 80% (possibly more) of post players or "size" as it is regularly referred to here ranges from mediocrity to utter garbage in women's basketball. I've seen enough missed point blank layups and butter finger missed rebounds over the years to think that.

Did we lose all those Notre Dame games because of their "size"? Or their guards? Pretty sure it was guards.

Did Louisville pull off that gigantic upset due to their "size" or their guards draining 3's? The later.

Guard/wing play is by far the most important aspect of WCBB. Britt Griner, best post player in women's basketball, 1 national title in 4 years. Not that impressive.

Size is important. Skilled size is. Tina Charles, Fowles, Griner, Appel, etc are not the norm, they are the exceptions.

Geno will recruit the players he best feels will help the University of Connecticut. Not surprised at all most are guards/wings. He will not go scrambling to bring in "size" if it can't help us.

Reaction Score
There are times when I wonder if some people even really watch UConn Women's Basketball or women's basketball in general.

If Geno doesn't get Wilson, he is not going to just get a "big" girl or "size" simply to get it. And certainly not to satisfy nervous nelly posters here.

Geno has always shown preference to guards/wings over posts. That's why he regularly plays with 4 guards and 1 post player. I got news for ya. Four of our starters- Hartley, Doty, Faris, KML - 3 guards and a wing. Worked out fine.

I'm not sure if most of you noticed, but 80% (possibly more) of post players or "size" as it is regularly referred to here ranges from mediocrity to utter garbage in women's basketball. I've seen enough missed point blank layups and butter finger missed rebounds over the years to think that.

Did we lose all those Notre Dame games because of their "size"? Or their guards? Pretty sure it was guards.

Did Louisville pull off that gigantic upset due to their "size" or their guards draining 3's? The later.

Guard/wing play is by far the most important aspect of WCBB. Britt Griner, best post player in women's basketball, 1 national title in 4 years. Not that impressive.

Size is important. Skilled size is. Tina Charles, Fowles, Griner, Appel, etc are not the norm, they are the exceptions.

Geno will recruit the players he best feels will help the University of Connecticut. Not surprised at all most are guards/wings. He will not go scrambling to bring in "size" if it can't help us.
But once the NCAA tournament started , he put Breanna back in the starting lineup, and you saw what happened. I agree, he won't take a big just to have one, but he prefers to be able to play 2 for defense , and rebounding. Of course it could be said Breanna is a wing, so you would be right.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

You really didn't pull any punches with that first statement. But you could have made your point less caustically.

Guard/wing play is by far the most important aspect of WCBB.

I would agree that guards are more important than posts, but I believe you overstate your point. If UConn gets no one to play the 4 or 5 this year, that would be 2 consecutive years with no posts or forwards. How often has that happened during Geno's tenure? (Honest question, I don't know the answer.) Because it takes more time to develop posts, that gap might be significant. (How impressive was Tina Charles her first 2 years?)

Britt Griner, best post player in women's basketball, 1 national title in 4 years. Not that impressive.

Griner winning a NC is a significant accomplishment, even if it looked like she would win more than one. As a UConn fan, you're spoiled. Every other college (even the orange one) would be happy to win a NC every 4 years.

Geno will recruit the players he best feels will help the University of Connecticut.

I agree he will recruit the players he feels will help UConn, but sometimes he tries for a player yet is unsuccessful, so I wouldn't take the lack of bigs in the past two classes (2013 and thus far in 2014) as evidence that Geno doesn't value them. Are you assuming that Geno gets whoever he pursues? While he's a great recruiter, there are plenty of players that Geno pursues but doesn't persuade to come to UConn. Who's to say that Geno hasn't been recruiting bigs the past two classes? I thought he showed interest in Reimer, McCall, Turner, Wilson, Westbeld, and Belton the past two years. There were probably other bigs as well.

Reaction Score
Great points! But our best team had 3 post players (cash Williams and jones). So we have a coach who knows to use his talent over his system!

Reaction Score

We wouldn't just be getting Westbeld to get a big. She's a great BB player.

Reaction Score
I would agree that guards are more important than posts, but I believe you overstate your point. If UConn gets no one to play the 4 or 5 this year, that would be 2 consecutive years with no posts or forwards. How often has that happened during Geno's tenure? (Honest question, I don't know the answer.) Because it takes more time to develop posts, that gap might be significant. (How impressive was Tina Charles her first 2 years?)

Tina Charles was very impressive her first two years. Her 1st year she was a/a honorable mention. Her 2nd year 3rd team a/a. IMO It IS spolied to think that she wasn't.

Griner winning a NC is a significant accomplishment, even if it looked like she would win more than one.

I don’t agree. Last year they went down in flames. I don’t believe anything good came from it- not even making ff. This year is super-crucial for them. You get picked off like this- it is like what Kay Yow said after UCONN beat her. NC State drops . . . someone takes over. NC State continues to drop.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that Kathryn's Dad still listed Duke as one of her options just 2 days ago ...

Why? So she could be Duke recruit #47 in next year's class? Hell - she could do that in Louisville, too, and save a whole lot of traveling.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
On what basis do you report that...have you seen her play a number of times?
I can't speak for Sonny, but I've never seen her play in person. However, I have seen video of her playing with her AAU team. And talent evaluators (who know much more about WCBB than I do) think a lot of her game. In the composite rankings compiled by vowelguy, she's the 21st highest ranked player in the 2014 class. The only bigs ranked above her are A'ja Wilson, Brianna Turner, Jatari White, Lajahna Drummer, Lynee Belton, and Monique Billings. Plus she possesses a team-first mentality. Definitely a Geno type of player, which explains his pursuit of her.

Reaction Score
Griner was clearly a great player, but it's worth mentioning that Odyssey Sims put that team over the top.

Reaction Score
Griner was clearly a great player, but it's worth mentioning that Odyssey Sims put that team over the top.

Or part of the pg and coach combo that couldn't get to the F4 twice with a 6'8 all everything nearly unstoppable center. Put Griner on UConn or ND's roster and you have at least 2 more if not 3 national championships. Either way without a doubt wouldn't fail to make a F4.

Reaction Score
I agree. It seems as if Taya is pretty certain that Westbeld is going to ND. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom