Karma is a beach (Arike makes WNBA history).....and Kia v. Arike | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karma is a beach (Arike makes WNBA history).....and Kia v. Arike

Reaction Score
It's disappointing that the NBA makes so much $$, and in the beginning, all the WNBA teams were linked to NBA franchises, but since the WNBA loses money, the NBA exec's abandoned the WNBA teams. That's how many of the teams got their names (Timberwolves - Lynx, Heat - Sun, Wizards - Mystics, Pistons - Shock, Spurs - Silver Stars, etc).

If Toronto gets a team - Toronto T-rex's, or Rexes? Certainly the Toronto Triceratops does not roll off the tongue...
Just a small nit but, for the record, the Sun were originally the Orlando Miracle, associated with the NBA Orlando Magic. They became the Sun when they were purchased by the Mohegan Sun.

Regarding the WNBA team in Toronto - gotta be the Toronto Indominus Rex.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Okay, I will throw my hat in the ring. The Toronto Brontosaurus. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Brian Agler: "She's got to understand that you have to play through contact and you're not going to get calls your way, so you can't stand and look at the official and complain because the other team is going in transition."

It's a ND thing .

Arike being Arike.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just curious. Is this just a WNBA mark or NBA as well? If not, who owns the mass futility record in the NBA? I guess the question can be extended to NCAA WBB etc. as well.

Whichever, that is a record I hope Ogunbowale surpasses several more times this season. This in spite of the fact that the Wings are one of my 3 favorite WNBA teams.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kia's emergence as a rising young star in the WNBA I suspect has had some influence in having 3 Canadian networks star to broadcast WNBA games. She has Mega Rock Star status in Canada. A key for her:

“It was really amazing to see that. I’m one of the very fortunate people to have all four of my grandparents still at my age and now they can finally watch me play in the WNBA and that’s something that’s extremely special to me. I’m really fortunate to be able to have family and friends and aspiring young women be able to see us play at our top-level.”

" Recently, news broke that a pair of Canadian entrepreneurs were launching a bid to bring Toronto a WNBA franchise. Not long after that it was announced that Sportsnet, NBA TV and TSN would be airing 53 live WNBA games this season including the WNBA All-Star game — unprecedented Canadian television coverage for the league. "

And Kia, enterprising young star, will have new TV markets to sell into.

One day after her playing days are over, I can see Kia Nurse being not only a huge player in the Canadian and or USA basketball media as a broadcast color analyst, but possibly as a coach at the collegiate or professional level similar to that of Kara Lawson. As you have mentioned, she’s already a household name (a goddess) in Canada, she already has the personality and work ethic to be successful in that arena. In 15 years, she’ll have the experience that Lawson has now.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
She had a good performance today. Y’all are so quick to hate on a rookie.

I don't hate her—or any other collegiate or WNBA player. My distaste and lack of respect for her derive from her dirty play, which was totally unnecessary given her exceptional talent. Remember what her coach refered to as a "loss of composure"? That was a phoney euphemism for 'she got caught playing dirty, vicious basketball'.

Reaction Score
I noticed the Lynx went out to double team Arike on the last possession. Normally if you don't respect or fear the shooter, you just leave them open and play the percentages.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't hate her—or any other collegiate or WNBA player. My distaste and lack of respect for her derive from her dirty play, which was totally unnecessary given her exceptional talent. Remember what her coach refered to as a "loss of composure"? That was a phoney euphemism for 'she got caught playing dirty, vicious basketball'.
thats not true... tje hate is because she beat UConn at the buzzer and also won a championship for Notre Dame. All those other claims is just hot air. The thread is screaming Sour Grapes... Skylar Diggins

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
thats not true... tje hate is because she beat UConn at the buzzer and also won a championship for Notre Dame. All those other claims is just hot air. The thread is screaming Sour Grapes... Skylar Diggins

I will only speak for myself but my dislike for Arike is a combination of 4 things

1) A shoot first mentality independent of the quality of the shot that distorts what WBB should look like (for me) and demonstrates a me first mentality imho
2) Her lack of interest/effort on defense
3) Her borderline dirty play
4) She is from ND but I think this is last on my list.

The problem is she is good enough to get away with her style of play so I am not sure if she will ever change (or see the need to change) and unfortunately, this is the direction the WNBA is probably going. (Just wait till Chennedy comes a calling)

P.S. I do not dislike players just because that beat UConn. Morgan William was duly acknowledged for her heroics by me (and so many others on the BY)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I will only speak for myself but my dislike for Arike is a combination of 4 things

1) A shoot first mentality independent of the quality of the shot that distorts what WBB should look like (for me) and demonstrates a me first mentality imho
2) Her lack of interest/effort on defense
3) Her borderline dirty play
4) She is from ND but I think this is last on my list.

The problem is she is good enough to get away with her style of play so I am not sure if she will ever change (or see the need to change) and unfortunately, this is the direction the WNBA is probably going. (Just wait till Chennedy comes a calling)

P.S. I do not dislike players just because that beat UConn. Morgan William was duly acknowledged for her heroics by me (and so many others on the BY)
You respect Morgan’s coach, Geno’s buddy... but not Muffett. You also kinda described Diana in 1-3. Any player that shows up UConn isn’t liked, and that’s cool but say that... 1-3 can be a number of player in college and the pros but because UConn normally beats them it’s no big deal. Durr is cool even tho she beat UConn cause her coach exposed a weakness we all knew was there. Angel wasn’t liked neither but she never beat UConn but geno let her climb on his back during the olympics. Does Arrike play with an UConn players in the pros, I don’t follow the W that close?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
A huge problem for Dallas right now is they have no natural PG on their team to run an offense that puts players in a good position to make shots, with both Diggins and MoJeff out with injury. I guess Gray has been handling PG duties, but she's far from a natural PG. Lots of talent in Dallas, but hard to manage when no one is comfortable running the show.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You respect Morgan’s coach, Geno’s buddy... but not Muffett.

I respect both coaches but dislike Muffett for a number of barbs over the years

You also kinda described Diana in 1-3.

The only aspect of 1-3 I would agree about DT is the defense. She is not a physically dirty player (although she does have a potty mouth). And the shot selection of DT and Arike is night and day. DT will take quick shots only because the defense was slacked off or it is in a part of the game that warrants it and she is always trying to get her team mates involved.

Any player that shows up UConn isn’t liked, and that’s cool but say that... 1-3 can be a number of player in college and the pros but because UConn normally beats them it’s no big deal. ?????

Durr is cool even tho she beat UConn cause her coach exposed a weakness we all knew was there.

I did not know much of Durr in College and to be honest, I felt really bad when she had a really bad end of game in the Elite 8 against UConn

But she was drafted by my team in the WNBA and I am so happy that Asia has turned out to be the opposite of Arike in just about every way. Her shot selection, humility, offensive skills when needed, pretty good defense etc. :D:D:D

Angel wasn’t liked neither but she never beat UConn but geno let her climb on his back during the olympics. ????

Does Arrike play with an UConn players in the pros, I don’t follow the W that close?

Only Azure Stevens and she is not that liked on the BY for obvious reasons as well and is not doing much in the WNBA either.

Reaction Score
I'm the original poster. Does this quote from my original post sound like "hate"?

"Not taking anything away from Arike. Let's face it, she made her mark in college and her achievements are in the books. But the big leagues is a different story. I'm sure she'll be fine"

"Hate" is too strong a word, and frankly a knee-jerk reaction to any criticism these days.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I'm also surprised no team has made it to Knoxville or Louisville. 2 areas of the country with some of the highest WCBB participation. Interestingly Iowa has incredible WCBB support as well. And with the emergence of Oregon and Oregon State, Portland could perhaps support a WNBA team...

Portland had one...from 2000-2002, when the team (the Fire) folded.

It's disappointing that the NBA makes so much $$, and in the beginning, all the WNBA teams were linked to NBA franchises, but since the WNBA loses money, the NBA exec's abandoned the WNBA teams. That's how many of the teams got their names (Timberwolves - Lynx, Heat - Sun, Wizards - Mystics, Pistons - Shock, Spurs - Silver Stars, etc).

Just a small nit but, for the record, the Sun were originally the Orlando Miracle, associated with the NBA Orlando Magic. They became the Sun when they were purchased by the Mohegan Sun.

Actually, the Silver Stars were originally the Utah Starzz and affiliated with the Utah Jazz (hence the "zz" as part of the name).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A huge problem for Dallas right now is they have no natural PG on their team to run an offense that puts players in a good position to make shots, with both Diggins and MoJeff out with injury. I guess Gray has been handling PG duties, but she's far from a natural PG. Lots of talent in Dallas, but hard to manage when no one is comfortable running the show.

Excellent point (no pun intended). A look at their team stats thus far shows that -- among their core group of players -- Allisha Gray has been averaging 2.6 assists per game (APG), not considerably ahead of center Theresa Plaisance (2.1 APG). Ogunbowale and Kayla Thornton both have 1.9 APG. Plaisance seems to be distributing from the high-post set..

Brook McCarty-Williams is still at 3.1 APG, but she does not seem to be getting as much playing time recently.

While Ogunbowale would handle the ball for the Irish, that was primarily on the break, while Jackie Young and/or Marina Mabrey would handle lead guard in the Irish half-court sets.

The returns of Skylar Diggins and/or MoJeff cannot come soon enough for the Wings.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Or her next technical foul. Or her next unsportsmanlike act that goes unpunished.

well hopefully she throws a few elbows or trips some players.... that will help fill in some of the downtime that goes along with summer on basketball messageboards :p

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Just curious. Is this just a WNBA mark or NBA as well? If not, who owns the mass futility record in the NBA? I guess the question can be extended to NCAA WBB etc. as well.

Per ESPN:
--- Ogunbowale set the league futility mark for a player taking 20 or more shots, according to STATS. She surpassed the 3-for-20 effort by Sheryl Swoopes in 2002.

--- Ogunbowale also matched the record for most misses in a game that didn't go into overtime that was held by Wendy Palmer-Daniel in 1997.

--- Maya Moore missed 23 shots against Connecticut in an overtime game in 2015.

Reaction Score
Brook McCarty-Williams is still at 3.1 APG, but she does not seem to be getting as much playing time recently.

Speaking as a Texas homer, if Brooke McCarty-Williams were just a couple of inches taller, I think she could be a solid WNBA pg. Sadly for me, Brooke's Dallas career probably ends when either Skylar or MoJeff returns -- certainly if and when both return. But Brooke did play 19 minutes in yesterday's Dallas win and had 5 assists, zero turnovers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom