Karma is a beach (Arike makes WNBA history).....and Kia v. Arike | The Boneyard

Karma is a beach (Arike makes WNBA history).....and Kia v. Arike

Reaction Score
Last night's game between The Liberty and The Wings was entertaining on a number of different levels. For one thing, Arike finally missed a "buzzer-beater" and The Liberty secured a hard fought victory. But even the commentators couldn't help notice the physical play going on between Kia and Arike. Not taking anything away from Arike. Let's face it, she made her mark in college and her achievements are in the books. But the big leagues is a different story. I'm sure she'll be fine but it was fun watching the ND v. UCONN rivalry in action last night, and seeing Kia et al come out on top.

Reaction Score
I think a shout out should also go out to Durr.

"I would say as a team we did a very good job," Liberty guard Kia Nurse said. "We will always try to take away the opposing team's top scorers. Asia [Durr] did a great job to start with on her."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and as I had commented earlier, I liked the Asia / Arike contrast. Asia knows how to attack within the scheme of her teams offense. Like Arike, Asia can definitely make her own shot (mid range game is excellent in particular) but her shots are not forced and within the first 3 seconds of an offensive set. I am very impressed with Asia's progress. And for pure athletic talent, Asia had a great contested 360 spin layup in the paint that was just so smooth and strong. Asia and Kia will soon be one of the premier backcourts in the league.

Reaction Score
I think a shout out should also go out to Durr.

"I would say as a team we did a very good job," Liberty guard Kia Nurse said. "We will always try to take away the opposing team's top scorers. Asia [Durr] did a great job to start with on her."

Asia looks great on the court and keeps getting better. She did a great job on Arike while covering her but it was the physical play between Arike and Kia (and the refs swallowing their whistles) that caught my attention as well as the commentators'.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think Asia is going to be a better pro than Arike. Asia plays under control, knows how to penetrate a defense plus she has the 3 point shot. Arike is a gunner and that will not change.

Glad to see Kia put the defensive clamps on. Makes me smile.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just curious. Is this just a WNBA mark or NBA as well? If not, who owns the mass futility record in the NBA? I guess the question can be extended to NCAA WBB etc. as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Cheshire Cat.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kia's emergence as a rising young star in the WNBA I suspect has had some influence in having 3 Canadian networks star to broadcast WNBA games. She has Mega Rock Star status in Canada. A key for her:

“It was really amazing to see that. I’m one of the very fortunate people to have all four of my grandparents still at my age and now they can finally watch me play in the WNBA and that’s something that’s extremely special to me. I’m really fortunate to be able to have family and friends and aspiring young women be able to see us play at our top-level.”

" Recently, news broke that a pair of Canadian entrepreneurs were launching a bid to bring Toronto a WNBA franchise. Not long after that it was announced that Sportsnet, NBA TV and TSN would be airing 53 live WNBA games this season including the WNBA All-Star game — unprecedented Canadian television coverage for the league. "

And Kia, enterprising young star, will have new TV markets to sell into.

Reaction Score
Brian Agler: "She's got to understand that you have to play through contact and you're not going to get calls your way, so you can't stand and look at the official and complain because the other team is going in transition."

It's a ND thing ......

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kia's emergence as a rising young star in the WNBA I suspect has had some influence in having 3 Canadian networks star to broadcast WNBA games. She has Mega Rock Star status in Canada. A key for her:

“It was really amazing to see that. I’m one of the very fortunate people to have all four of my grandparents still at my age and now they can finally watch me play in the WNBA and that’s something that’s extremely special to me. I’m really fortunate to be able to have family and friends and aspiring young women be able to see us play at our top-level.”

" Recently, news broke that a pair of Canadian entrepreneurs were launching a bid to bring Toronto a WNBA franchise. Not long after that it was announced that Sportsnet, NBA TV and TSN would be airing 53 live WNBA games this season including the WNBA All-Star game — unprecedented Canadian television coverage for the league. "

And Kia, enterprising young star, will have new TV markets to sell into.
This could be fantastic for the WNBA. The entire nation of Canada celebrated the Raptors incredible NBA championship. I'm betting several cities in Canada could potentially have really big crowds - maybe the future of the league lies north.

I'm also surprised no team has made it to Knoxville or Louisville. 2 areas of the country with some of the highest WCBB participation. Interestingly Iowa has incredible WCBB support as well. And with the emergence of Oregon and Oregon State, Portland could perhaps support a WNBA team...

It's disappointing that the NBA makes so much $$, and in the beginning, all the WNBA teams were linked to NBA franchises, but since the WNBA loses money, the NBA exec's abandoned the WNBA teams. That's how many of the teams got their names (Timberwolves - Lynx, Heat - Sun, Wizards - Mystics, Pistons - Shock, Spurs - Silver Stars, etc).

If Toronto gets a team - Toronto T-rex's, or Rexes? Certainly the Toronto Triceratops does not roll off the tongue...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This could be fantastic for the WNBA. The entire nation of Canada celebrated the Raptors incredible NBA championship. I'm betting several cities in Canada could potentially have really big crowds - maybe the future of the league lies north.

I'm also surprised no team has made it to Knoxville or Louisville. 2 areas of the country with some of the highest WCBB participation. Interestingly Iowa has incredible WCBB support as well. And with the emergence of Oregon and Oregon State, Portland could perhaps support a WNBA team...

It's disappointing that the NBA makes so much $$, and in the beginning, all the WNBA teams were linked to NBA franchises, but since the WNBA loses money, the NBA exec's abandoned the WNBA teams. That's how many of the teams got their names (Timberwolves - Lynx, Heat - Sun, Wizards - Mystics, Pistons - Shock, etc).

If Toronto gets a team - Toronto T-rex's, or Rexes? Certainly the Toronto Triceratops does not roll off the tongue...

Toronto Pterodactyls

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only if they get a dunking sensation who can "fly" over opponents on her way to a thunderous slam!!

Here you go......Hmmm, she would have just graduated high school this year.

Reaction Score
Evidently headed to South Carolina. Wonder if UCONN ever had any interest?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom