Karen Aston's contract NOT extended | The Boneyard

Karen Aston's contract NOT extended

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seems that this will merit its own thread.

1585933661515.png

Reaction Score
For some reason, I actually like Karen, even though I really don't like Texas. I think she is pretty classy and will land on her feet pretty fast.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You should consider adding "Texas" in the subject line as maybe not everyone knows her by name alone . . . :p

Plebe

Reaction Score
Interesting take by a Texas fan source:

For some reason, I actually like Karen, even though I really don't like Texas. I think she is pretty classy and will land on her feet pretty fast.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I think all Texas fans appreciate how she always represented the university with such class.

Unfortunately, even when her recruiting was at an elite level, the product on the court eventually exposed her deficiencies in player development and in-game coaching.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You should consider adding "Texas" in the subject line as maybe not everyone knows her by name alone . . . :p
This is the Boneyard. We are ALL smarter than we look, and not as smart as we think we are LOL!! :D

Who do you guys think Texas will target? I would think they need someone with local ties, or someone who can work well with the Texas AAU Programs, etc. I think that was part of Gail's problem - she was a great recruiter at Duke, but wasn't linked well with the Texas pipeline and was never able to develop it.

Maybe the HC at TCU? Raegan Pebley? Some have mentioned the Arizona HC as another possibility, but not sure anyone from the Pac-12 would be interested...

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Cross-posting my post in the general coaching searches thread because I wasn't sure where this made more sense to post:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I truly don't think folks realize how 'd higher education is about to be. I can't see any universe where the Texas AD can responsibly extend a $1.2m contract for a WBB coach in this climate, let alone a large fraction of that.
"This is Texas! We're not Kooky Kalifornia! We spend the money even if we don't have it, and if that doesn't work we'll just secede from the union!"

/s

Reaction Score

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I think all Texas fans appreciate how she always represented the university with such class.

Unfortunately, even when her recruiting was at an elite level, the product on the court eventually exposed her deficiencies in player development and in-game coaching.

If I used twitter, I would like that tweet. Welcome to the University of Texas, where a national championship winning football coach, who with his wife was considered highly likeable, is fired because he wins fewer than 10 games a years (8) for a couple of years in a row. Come work for us where we replaced men's basketball coach Rick Barnes (he was getting a bit dull) for Shaka Smart. Is there a reason besides bad business sense that Texas has found itself guaranteeing a lot of money, with or without results, in recent hires? One thing is sure. Texas will not find a more loyal, hard working, dignified coach than Karen Aston. Unlike Goestenkors, Aston would never have failed or quit because she did not want to work hard enough.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'd suggest the Texas AD have a look/talk with Tina Langley at Rice. She's pretty much resurrected that program at an academically presitigous school with an adept use of recruiting and transfers. Now might be a good time for her to make a move, given that her star player, Erica Ogwumike, is graduating. (Yes, she still has 6'9" Nancy Mulkey there for one more year).

Before Texas, she was associate head coach for Brenda Freese at Maryland, taking over the Jeff Walz slot. And before that, stints at Georgia (under Andy Landers) and Clemson.

Coach Langley might not a PAC12 firecracker, but she is, perhaps, a person ready to take the next step up to the P5 level. And given the uncertainty of how this health event is going to affect the landscape of college athletics and the associated finances, she probably wouldn't chew up a budget.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

she did get grief here, but it is hard to believe a WBB coach got fired with her record. Seems like a distraction from not taking action elsewhere.

I will say Texas is one of the few jobs that gives me any pause with Dawn Staley. She has always wanted to recruit that area.

Reaction Score
"This is Texas! We're not Kooky Kalifornia! We spend the money even if we don't have it, and if that doesn't work we'll just secede from the union!"

/s
But Texas has more money by far than any other athletic program in the country; there is no buyout; and Texas paid Aston less than several other Big 12 coaches.

Reaction Score
There's a young up and coming lady coaching Princton University who learned at the hand of the master.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
How about Bernabei-McNamee from BC?

Good coach. I think her strength (recruiting-wise) is in the East and recruiting Texas is a tough puzzle to piece. However, I suggested another coach who, like Bernabei-McNamee, has Terrapin background: Tina Langley of Rice, situated in Houston.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
One thing is sure. Texas will not find a more loyal, hard working, dignified coach than Karen Aston. Unlike Goestenkors, Aston would never have failed or quit because she did not want to work hard enough.
Actually, the last two seasons on the court reflect that she wasn't working has hard as she was in the past; same with her recruiting classes. And, her coaching hires got worse and worse. Some have said that her new spouse and child caused her to change her priorities in life; nothing wrong with that. But, let's not pretend she has shown the same fire recently which she showed 2-3 years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
she did get grief here, but it is hard to believe a WBB coach got fired with her record. Seems like a distraction from not taking action elsewhere.

I will say Texas is one of the few jobs that gives me any pause with Dawn Staley. She has always wanted to recruit that area.
Tough to see her moving. She's got it pretty good there. There aren't all that many places that have fan support she does.

Reaction Score
Actually, the last two seasons on the court reflect that she wasn't working has hard as she was in the past; same with her recruiting classes. And, her coaching hires got worse and worse. Some have said that her new spouse and child caused her to change her priorities in life; nothing wrong with that. But, let's not pretend she has shown the same fire recently which she showed 2-3 years ago.

I have no reason to think Aston has not been working as hard as she did in the past. In recruiting, it is not uncommon for programs, even successful programs, to go through leaner times. I am an optimist and I still hoped that an even moderately successful post season and new contract would help revive recruiting. Recruiting for 2021 and later has not looked promising. But within the last year, Aston picked up a promising grad transfer and red-shirt sophomore to be Karisma Ortiz: both players with the capability to help the team next year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Trust me when I say not all Texas fans are realistic when it comes to throwing out names as possible coaching replacements; most don't even bother doing any research to realize several coaches are earning way north of $1 million per season.

To me, let's just rule out the head coaches from UConn, Baylor, Miss. State, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Maryland, and Louisville. Unless they have a connection (family or otherwise) to Texas, or hate their boss, they aren't leaving for the Texas job.

So, my mind keeps going West as the most attainable coaches (financially) reside out there.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom