Karen Aston's contract NOT extended | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Karen Aston's contract NOT extended

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If I used twitter, I would like that tweet. Welcome to the University of Texas, where a national championship winning football coach, who with his wife was considered highly likeable, is fired because he wins fewer than 10 games a years (8) for a couple of years in a row. Come work for us where we replaced men's basketball coach Rick Barnes (he was getting a bit dull) for Shaka Smart. Is there a reason besides bad business sense that Texas has found itself guaranteeing a lot of money, with or without results, in recent hires? One thing is sure. Texas will not find a more loyal, hard working, dignified coach than Karen Aston. Unlike Goestenkors, Aston would never have failed or quit because she did not want to work hard enough.
I hardly think Goestenkors didn't "want to work hard enough". I'm sure @CamrnCrz1974 will have some insight.

@ucbart

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I hardly think Goestenkors didn't "want to work hard enough". I'm sure @CamrnCrz1974 will have some insight.

@ucbart
Actually, there is some merit to that. Gail stated on record that she hadn't anticipated how hard it was going to be recruiting at Texas; she stated that she didn't realize she'd have to compete with Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Baylor for the same recruits. So, that can be interpreted as her thinking recruiting was going to be easy at Texas (or as easy as it was for her at Duke where she got to pick and choose from all those national kids who wanted to attend Duke).

When she resigned her position, she stated that she was "tired"; that can be interpreted in different ways. What was she tired of? Exits in the first round of the NCAA tourney? Winning zero conference titles? Tired of the pressure? I actually took it to mean she was physically and mentally tired; I just don't know what specifically was causing her to be so tired. I mean, she was being paid $1 million a season; being tired comes with the territory.

Don't get me wrong. I was thrilled when Gail was hired at Texas; I thought it was a homerun hire. Her biggest mistake at Texas, IMO, was the selection of her assistant coaches, specifically Lakale Malone from Nebraska (as she had zero recruiting connections to Texas). Yes, the same Lakale Malone who was recently fired as an assistant coach at Illinois.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You don't even know how much money Texas is "throwing" at someone. It won't be Dawn Staley money. I'm surprised to hear this from a South Carolina fan considering how much money you all have spent on Steve Spurrier and his replacement, and still are not getting close to an SEC East football championship. Best not to throw stones from you glass home . . .

South Carolina has no match when it comes to boneheaded football decisions.

Our AD irks me a little.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Longhorn Network posted a nice retrospective of Karen's tenure at Texas.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna miss Aston and Mulkey's handshakes

rgz-UT-WBKC-BAYLOR-03.jpg

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Austin American-Statesman writer Kirk Bohls obsessing more on "scaring" Mulkey than talking about realistic coaching candidates:

This part is actually very harsh, but I guess it is accurate:

The announcement that Texas was moving on from Aston was no surprise, however bad the optics.

For all practical purposes, she was fired a year ago.

Del Conte and the Texas administration effectively made the decision to change directions a year ago when they let Aston enter what would be her final season here with but a single year left on her contract.

Such policy rarely happens in big-time sports unless the bosses have already lost confidence in the coach, and this was the case here.

Aston’s final-year agreement expires in August. In letting her contract lapse, Texas basically fired her a year ago, barring a major turnaround in the fortunes of a basketball program that had moments of big success but had faltered of late, especially in recruiting, and had fallen far distant of powerhouse Baylor. Del Conte clearly saw the lack of progress and moved on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Austin American-Statesman writer Kirk Bohls obsessing more on "scaring" Mulkey than talking about realistic coaching candidates:

This part is actually very harsh, but I guess it is accurate:

The announcement that Texas was moving on from Aston was no surprise, however bad the optics.

For all practical purposes, she was fired a year ago.

Del Conte and the Texas administration effectively made the decision to change directions a year ago when they let Aston enter what would be her final season here with but a single year left on her contract.

Such policy rarely happens in big-time sports unless the bosses have already lost confidence in the coach, and this was the case here.

Aston’s final-year agreement expires in August. In letting her contract lapse, Texas basically fired her a year ago, barring a major turnaround in the fortunes of a basketball program that had moments of big success but had faltered of late, especially in recruiting, and had fallen far distant of powerhouse Baylor. Del Conte clearly saw the lack of progress and moved on.
I really did not see this as a big deal, now I do!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

@ucbart

Actually, there is some merit to that. Gail stated on record that she hadn't anticipated how hard it was going to be recruiting at Texas; she stated that she didn't realize she'd have to compete with Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Baylor for the same recruits. So, that can be interpreted as her thinking recruiting was going to be easy at Texas (or as easy as it was for her at Duke where she got to pick and choose from all those national kids who wanted to attend Duke).

When she resigned her position, she stated that she was "tired"; that can be interpreted in different ways. What was she tired of? Exits in the first round of the NCAA tourney? Winning zero conference titles? Tired of the pressure? I actually took it to mean she was physically and mentally tired; I just don't know what specifically was causing her to be so tired. I mean, she was being paid $1 million a season; being tired comes with the territory.

This is not quite accurate, because it ignores the actions of AD Chris Plonsky and former Assistant Coach Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil.

In very short summary, Plonsky told Goestenkors not to keep any of the Texas assistant coaches, so she did not (and brought some of her own people). Davis-Wrightsil was outraged and essentially trashed Texas and Coach G to all of her connections in the Texas high school basketball scene -- and believe me, Davis-Wrightsi's network and contacts were extensive.

Gail's contacts were with AAU coaches, which worked very well in her recruiting strongholds - DC/MD/VA and NY/NJ/PA. In Texas, the high school/local coaches are the ones with the power and the sway, so to speak.

Gail did not have the right contacts for Texas, but the actions of Plonsky and Davis-Wrightsil all but guaranteed that Texas would not be getting the top-tier in-state recruits during her tenure.

Don't get me wrong. I was thrilled when Gail was hired at Texas; I thought it was a homerun hire. Her biggest mistake at Texas, IMO, was the selection of her assistant coaches, specifically Lakale Malone from Nebraska (as she had zero recruiting connections to Texas). Yes, the same Lakale Malone who was recently fired as an assistant coach at Illinois.

See my above comments about Plonsky and Davis-Wrightsil. But truth be told, Goestenkors needed to really get someone entrenched in Texas recruiting, which Davis-Wrightstil was.

I would argue Goestenkors' biggest mistake was a different one. Duke sold itself, because Goestenkors BUILT it to sell itself. But Goestenkors also failed to realize how the Duke brand and the combination of athletics, academics, alumni network, etc. played a part in her recruiting strategy. And when a recruit came for a visit, Duke had the ability to bring in Coach K for a quick meeting (which he did, for example, with Krystal Thomas who committed to Goestenkors when she was at Duke, but who played for McCallie).

Whereas Joanne P. McCallie overestimated how much Duke (and the Duke brand) sold itself, Goestenkors underestimated it, in terms of making the final pitches to recruits.

Goestenkors was never able to make the Texas brand work for her. She was from MI, had been an assistant at Purdue (IN), and had been the head coach at Duke (NC). And I think she thought all of the work she put in at Duke would transfer over to Texas; instead, as an outsider, she had to start, in many ways, from scratch, like she did in her early days at Duke. I believe that was where the fatigue and exhaustion had set in.

I would also argue another mistake Goestenkors made was taking the job in the first place - and the circumstances under which she did. She was not running "toward" Texas; she was running "away" from Duke. My honest believe is the statements from then-AD Joe Alleva were the deciding factor in her decision to leave. I am repeating the comments here:

Compared to the top tier of coaches in the women's game, however, Goestenkors' salary does not stack up. Tennessee's Pat Summitt is the highest-paid coach in women's college basketball at an average of $1.125 million guaranteed over six seasons, and Geno Auriemma's contract with Connecticut guarantees him $988,000 per year.
[Coach G made less than $500,000 at the time]

"They've both won a lot of national championships and are part of programs that make money for their institutions. They bring in profit for their athletic departments, and that's not the case for our women's program," Alleva said. "I'm sure some of these other institutions will offer significantly large packages to encourage her to go.

I firmly believe that Goestenkors was not running toward Texas, but running away from Duke. She felt disrespected and devalued -- and rightfully so. But I also believe that without those statements from then-AD Joe Alleva, she would have taken more time to evaluate her decision and would have chosen to stay at Duke.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
This is not quite accurate, because it ignores the actions of AD Chris Plonsky and former Assistant Coach Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil.

In very short summary, Plonsky told Goestenkors not to keep any of the Texas assistant coaches, so she did not (and brought some of her own people). Davis-Wrightsil was outraged and essentially trashed Texas and Coach G to all of her connections in the Texas high school basketball scene -- and believe me, Davis-Wrightsi's network and contacts were extensive.

Gail's contacts were with AAU coaches, which worked very well in her recruiting strongholds - DC/MD/VA and NY/NJ/PA. In Texas, the high school/local coaches are the ones with the power and the sway, so to speak.

Gail did not have the right contacts for Texas, but the actions of Plonsky and Davis-Wrightsil all but guaranteed that Texas would not be getting the top-tier in-state recruits during her tenure.

See my above comments about Plonsky and Davis-Wrightsil. But truth be told, Goestenkors needed to really get someone entrenched in Texas recruiting, which Davis-Wrightstil was.

I would argue Goestenkors' biggest mistake was a different one. Duke sold itself, because Goestenkors BUILT it to sell itself. But Goestenkors also failed to realize how the Duke brand and the combination of athletics, academics, alumni network, etc. played a part in her recruiting strategy. And when a recruit came for a visit, Duke had the ability to bring in Coach K for a quick meeting (which he did, for example, with Krystal Thomas who committed to Goestenkors when she was at Duke, but who played for McCallie).

Whereas Joanne P. McCallie overestimated how much Duke (and the Duke brand) sold itself, Goestenkors underestimated it, in terms of making the final pitches to recruits.

Goestenkors was never able to make the Texas brand work for her. She was from MI, had been an assistant at Purdue (IN), and had been the head coach at Duke (NC). And I think she thought all of the work she put in at Duke would transfer over to Texas; instead, as an outsider, she had to start, in many ways, from scratch, like she did in her early days at Duke. I believe that was where the fatigue and exhaustion had set in.

I would also argue another mistake Goestenkors made was taking the job in the first place - and the circumstances under which she did. She was not running "toward" Texas; she was running "away" from Duke. My honest believe is the statements from then-AD Joe Alleva were the deciding factor in her decision to leave. I am repeating the comments here:

Compared to the top tier of coaches in the women's game, however, Goestenkors' salary does not stack up. Tennessee's Pat Summitt is the highest-paid coach in women's college basketball at an average of $1.125 million guaranteed over six seasons, and Geno Auriemma's contract with Connecticut guarantees him $988,000 per year.
[Coach G made less than $500,000 at the time]

"They've both won a lot of national championships and are part of programs that make money for their institutions. They bring in profit for their athletic departments, and that's not the case for our women's program," Alleva said. "I'm sure some of these other institutions will offer significantly large packages to encourage her to go.

I firmly believe that Goestenkors was not running toward Texas, but running away from Duke. She felt disrespected and devalued -- and rightfully so. But I also believe that without those statements from then-AD Joe Alleva, she would have taken more time to evaluate her decision and would have chosen to stay at Duke.
I've heard most of what you stated in the past. What still does not make sense to me is why Plonsky would not want Gail to retain any of the current assistant coaches. Typically, you have an AD trying to force conditions on a new hire of who they will be required to retain, and new head coaches hate that restriction.

Personally, Clarissa Davis should never have been hired by Jody Conradt as I believe she had zero collegiate coaching experience, and not much coaching experience other than high school club ball. She only coached for one season, I believe, before Conradt resigned; and, she had no success (recruiting-wise) in her short tenure. I doubt Gail would have kept her on staff regardless of any alleged meddling by Plonsky as Clarissa's resume' was very weak. Most Texas fans wanted Gail to retain our other assistant head coach, and former men's hoopster, Travis Mays, as he was the one who had proven himself on the job.

Can you tell me why she hired Lakale Malone of all people? That just didn't move the needle in any way.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I want to touch upon a couple of comments made on some of the threads about "Mulkey now being concerned" with Vic being Texas' new coach. Maybe because I have been involved as a coach and UConn fan for too long but I disagree that Kim will be "scared or upset". If anything, I think she will welcome the competitive nature of another top coach in a league devoid of top coaches. Running roughshod over poor competition never inspires anyone, is it fun, yes most times it is fun but it does not help you grow as a coach or a program.

Vic's arrival in the SEC made all the others up their game and made Dawn part of what her program is now. Similarly Texas will get better and force Baylor to also improve. I am not saying Kim will invite Vic out to dinner either before or after games but she will relish scheming to beat him. As the saying goes, "Iron sharpens Iron" and I think both programs will be better for this. I do need to see Vic recruit at an elite level which this past year was really his first in garnering a top 10 recruit in Jackson. We shall see, but I doubt Mulkey is quaking in her boots. Was Geno afraid of MM or Pat? All true competitors want worthy adversaries.

Carry on...:rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I want to touch upon a couple of comments made on some of the threads about "Mulkey now being concerned" with Vic being Texas' new coach. Maybe because I have been involved as a coach and UConn fan for too long but I disagree that Kim will be "scared or upset". If anything, I think she will welcome the competitive nature of another top coach in a league devoid of top coaches. Running roughshod over poor competition never inspires anyone, is it fun, yes most times it is fun but it does not help you grow as a coach or a program.

Vic's arrival in the SEC made all the others up their game and made Dawn part of what her program is now. Similarly Texas will get better and force Baylor to also improve. I am not saying Kim will invite Vic out to dinner either before or after games but she will relish scheming to beat him. As the saying goes, "Iron sharpens Iron" and I think both programs will be better for this. I do need to see Vic recruit at an elite level which this past year was really his first in garnering a top 10 recruit in Jackson. We shall see, but I doubt Mulkey is quaking in her boots. Was Geno afraid of MM or Pat? All true competitors want worthy adversaries.

Carry on...:rolleyes:
I wholeheartedly agree that competitors want good competition. I don't believe, for a second, that Dawn Staley feels any joy or relief at seeing Vic leave the SEC. And I also don't believe that Kim Mulkey has been pleased see the rest of the Big 12 sliding toward mediocrity around her over the past several years.

But I can't help but wonder if Kim would prefer that her chief Big 12 rivals were father away, such as West Virginia or Iowa State. She may have mixed emotions seeing Vic set up shop just 100 miles away. She has staked out a significant recruiting advantage as THE premier in-state WBB destination, an advantage she may soon have to share.

Reaction Score
Mulkey is a competitor and I doubt she minds the addition of Vic. She was never my favorite coach on her general personality but really grew on me during their run to the title in 2019. She is one of the best no doubt and I have a feeling she and Vic will have some battles once he gets in the groove recruiting his players.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I wholeheartedly agree that competitors want good competition. I don't believe, for a second, that Dawn Staley feels any joy or relief at seeing Vic leave the SEC. And I also don't believe that Kim Mulkey has been pleased see the rest of the Big 12 sliding toward mediocrity around her over the past several years.

But I can't help but wonder if Kim would prefer that her chief Big 12 rivals were father away, such as West Virginia or Iowa State. She may have mixed emotions seeing Vic set up shop just 100 miles away. She has staked out a significant recruiting advantage as THE premier in-state WBB destination, an advantage she may soon have to share.
Well maybe, in my analysis of what schools get the Top 10 players, Kim has signed 6 HoopGurlz Top 10 since 2014 while Texas signed 8. IF you look at Prospect Nation Kim signed 9 while Texas signed 8. so it's not like Texas wasn't getting talent. Were they getting the RIGHT talent and developing them? Clearly not. That said, Kim has also had her fair share of recent Top 10 transfers like Natalie Chou, Honesty Scott-Grayson, Alexis Morris and Aquira DeCosta to counteract the Texas defections of Sedona Prince, Rellah Booth and Chasity Patterson.

I guess we get to find out how well a "school" can recruit as Vic, for all his success has had exactly 1 Top 10 recruit join his team and that was this year in Rickea Jackson. I think all told he will have much better ingredients to make his signature teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well maybe, in my analysis of what schools get the Top 10 players, Kim has signed 6 HoopGurlz Top 10 since 2014 while Texas signed 8. IF you look at Prospect Nation Kim signed 9 while Texas signed 8. so it's not like Texas wasn't getting talent. Were they getting the RIGHT talent and developing them? Clearly not. That said, Kim has also had her fair share of recent Top 10 transfers like Natalie Chou, Honesty Scott-Grayson, Alexis Morris and Aquira DeCosta to counteract the Texas defections of Sedona Prince, Rellah Booth and Chasity Patterson.

I guess we get to find out how well a "school" can recruit as Vic, for all his success has had exactly 1 Top 10 recruit join his team and that was this year in Rickea Jackson. I think all told he will have much better ingredients to make his signature teams.
Karen's recruiting in the past couple years took a major nose dive, and particularly her "in" with elite in-state recruits. Her lone significant 2019 recruit was from New York. Her top recruit for 2020 is local but barely inside the HG top 100. (Edit: Her top 2020 recruit is HG #54 from California.)

Kim saw significant out-transfers even before Karen did but that never seemed to bring down her program too badly because (a) she had often over-recruited anyway, (b) she never lost an entire recruiting class, (c) she also got some key offsetting in-transfers like Alexis Jones and Chloe Jackson, and (d) she's just a better teacher-coach anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Karen's recruiting in the past couple years took a major nose dive, and particularly her "in" with elite in-state recruits. Her lone significant 2019 recruit was from New York. Her top recruit for 2020 is local but barely inside the HG top 100.

Kim saw significant out-transfers even before Karen did but that never seemed to bring down her program too badly because (a) she had often over-recruited anyway, (b) she never lost an entire recruiting class, (b) she also got some key offsetting in-transfers like Alexis Jones and Chloe Jackson, and (c) she's just a better teacher-coach anyway.
Her top 2020 was actually #52 Ashley Chevalier from Sierra Canyon.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ha forgot about Chevalier for the moment. Brain fart, thank you.

Still, the dropoff in recruiting is very noticeable from the 2014-17 period.

Reaction Score

Absolutely. No Andrews, Gusters, Gaston, Maliyah Johnson, Sahara Jones was not a good look, especially when she was landing Prince, Collier, Patterson, Higgs, etc. 2+ years ago.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

From 2014-17 Aston recruited very well. #3 Atkins, #7 Higgs, #6 Sutton, #2 Holmes, 34 Patterson, #3 Booth, and in 2018 she got #8 Prince and #2 Collier. That's recruiting well. Getting them to stay is a different issue. Texas out recruited Baylor during that period. Kim actually develops players and has an offense plus a transition based defense to score, something Texas never developed. But to say Texas didn't recruit up until these past 2 years is wrong. Was it maybe the wrong recruits, sure, I think that is a part of it. I can't believe I am having to defend Karen and Texas, (I will have to take a shower after this), but when you say drop off, what you mean is >#25 ranked recruits as she was still getting top 100 players, just not the elite rankings she did garner.

Again, I have parsed the list to a "Top 10" as usually that group is significantly better than the next group as this Top 10 usually comprises the USA youth teams (U16, U17, U18). Kim does get and develop her #11-50 ranked players as well as anyone other than MM or Geno. That also builds her depth. And as you noted, Baylor has always had transfers leaving more so than other programs because she too, has often over recruited.

I suspect Vic will see his trend of better recruiting now as Austin and Texas are "better known" names that Starkville or MSU (no offense to all my Bulldog colleagues) and with all the other "Texas" accoutrements that allows over what Mississippi had to offer. How well he will do is yet to be seen. This is the exact same enthusiasm that the wooing and signing of Gail had so let's see if it is a "Texas" curse or not. ;)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I've heard most of what you stated in the past. What still does not make sense to me is why Plonsky would not want Gail to retain any of the current assistant coaches. Typically, you have an AD trying to force conditions on a new hire of who they will be required to retain, and new head coaches hate that restriction.

@southie , that is a very good question. And honestly, I do not know. I can ask my source (who provided me the information I posted from Gail Goestenkors herself).

Most Texas fans wanted Gail to retain our other assistant head coach, and former men's hoopster, Travis Mays, as he was the one who had proven himself on the job.

Side note...it is crazy to see how his career has progressed and what has happened at SMU, especially given your statement about him having proven himself while at Texas.

Duke had a similar situation. Tia Jackson was one of Goestenkors' assistant coaches in her last few years at Duke. She had very good success on the recruiting trail and was well-liked by the players.

When Goestenkors left for Texas in 2007, Jackson was brought to Washington by former athletic director Todd Turner to change the culture of women’s basketball. But after one year, 4 of 6 freshmen transferred (one mother of a player described Jackson "an old school, ’60s, boys P.E., tyrant coach"). In four seasons under Jackson, Washington never finished better than 13-18 and her overall record was 45-75.

Jackson was subsequently hired by Rutgers as an assistant coach (Jackson played for Stringer at Iowa). She spent four years there, before leaving for Miami in 2015, where she has been an assistant coach ever since.

Can you tell me why she hired Lakale Malone of all people? That just didn't move the needle in any way.

Honestly, it had a lot to do with her availability -- and the lack of availability of others.

Of Gail's assistants at Duke, Gale Valley joined her at Texas. But as for the others? As I mentioned above, Jackson decided to leave Duke to take the HC job at Washington. And Shannon Perry decided to stay at Duke to coach under McCallie -- which did not last, as Perry left Duke after only one year under McCallie (after a year away from coaching, Perry later took an assistant coaching job at UCLA, where she has been since 2011).

With neither Jackson nor Perry following her to Duke, Goestenkors needed someone. And frankly, she needed someone who knew the Big 12 recruiting landscape. Malone had been the at Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Nebraska for four years. Connie Yori's teams during those years improved from the basement of the Big 12 to .500/middle of the pack status, eventually improving to 22 wins (10-6 in conference play, for 4th place) and making the NCAA Tournament in Malone's last year.

At the time, it made some sense, considering Jackson/Perry not following Goestenkors, the timing (already April 2007, heading into the spring/summer recruiting cycle), and how Malone appeared on paper.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As a follow-up to my initial post in this thread in response to the assertion that Gail Goestenkors did not want to work that or work hard enough (paraphrasing the original poster's comment), I think MoFanClub had an interesting and different perspective on Goestenkors' decision to leave Texas after five years, with two years remaining on her contract:

I will always respect Coach G for taking herself out at Texas. She could have kept taking the big $$ but chose to walk away when she wasn't building teams to her expectations. That is class.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Curiously, in the final 2020 rankings Chevalier was dropped from #52 to #86.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom