Karaban's all time UConn Husky starting five | The Boneyard

Karaban's all time UConn Husky starting five

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Alex made some interesting choices with Dauster. I appreciate him not shying away from that type of question. It's fun.

Karaban's all time Starting 5

Tristen Newton
Shabazz Napier
Ray Allen
Rudy Gay
Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
My top 5 leaves off Clingan, Donyell, Rudy Gay, Caron Butler, Tristen Newton, Ben Gordon, KEA, Sanogo.

Leaving Rip, Emeka and Kemba off is interesting.

Emeka, Rip, Ray, Kemba, Shabazz. Starting 5.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd like to know why AK chose those five (although I can certainly understand TN and DC)

There are a billion other threads where someone asked for everyone's top 5. This isn't one of them. It's been done ad nauseum. Nobody cares about yours.

Reaction Score
First Team: Kemba Walker - Ray Allen - Rip Hamilton - Donyel Marshall - Emeka Okafor

Each of my first team starters were the best players on their respective teams in their respective eras.

Second Team: Shabazz Napier - Tristen Newton - Carol Butler - Adama Sanogo - Donovan Clingan

Second team starters were the best or second-best players on their respective teams in their respective eras.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'd like to know why AK chose those five (although I can certainly understand TN and DC)

There are a billion other threads where someone asked for everyone's top 5. This isn't one of them. It's been done ad nauseum. Nobody cares about yours.

He specifically mentioned Kemba as one he struggled with leaving off, but had to take Tristen. Totally understand from his perspective.

Reaction Score

Because he had 10 seconds to come up with a list, Dauster convinced him to take Tristen, Donovan is his roommate, he forgot Rip Hamilton went to UConn.

Reaction Score
He specifically mentioned Kemba as one he struggled with leaving off, but had to take Tristen. Totally understand from his perspective.
Understand, but if you swap teams, TN is not leading the 2011 team to a title. Kemba would have made the last 2 teams even more dominant

Reaction Score

There are a billion other threads where someone asked for everyone's top 5. This isn't one of them. It's been done ad nauseum. Nobody cares about yours
Let me reiterate my starting 5: Emeka, Rip, Ray, Kemba, Shabazz.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He wasn't even 1 1/2 years old when we won our second title. He warrants a bit of a break for for being possibly less knowledgeable than some of the middle aged poster on this board when it comes to player from the 1990's through when he started kindergarten. As he would have watched some of our players ocer the past dozen plus seasons during his formative years and actually played with some while winning national titles, he should be allowed to show some recency bias.

Also, it's an opinion, everyone is entitled to one that may or may not differ from yours.

Reaction Score

Shabazz=Mass, that was the first name he mentioned and he said he would have to be on the list right off the bat

Reaction Score
PG: Kemba
SG: Ray
SF: Rip
PF: Donyell
C: Okafor

This is the only correct answer imo. But, to say our second team or third team is a tier below is just crazy. Spoils of riches.

I tend to agree that this is the closest to 'correct' list.

Potentially interesting nuggets...
  • 8 seasons in a row with at least one top 5 Husky.
  • only 3 out of 6 NCs represented on Top 5.
  • 94 is only season with multiple top 5s...yet not a NC title year...crazy.
  • All 5 are Calhoun recruits.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
SG: Ray
SF: Rip

This is the only correct answer imo. But, to say our second team or third team is a tier below is just crazy. Spoils of riches.

Agreed. Donyell always gets left off. He was the 2nd best player in the country as a JR.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
If I can put in two teams based on best offense, and best defense...

Offense:

SF: Hamilton
SG: Allen

Defensive:

C: Clingan
SF: DePriest
SG: Castle
PG: Moore (Ricky)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s getting to the point where we have too many all-time players.

Tristen Newton has entered those conversations. So happy for him.

Legitimately KEA and Chris Smith have a tough time cracking the Top 3 PG conversation. Kemba, Bazz and TN are all more accomplished by any metric including personality, indomitable will to win, or any other intangible quality.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Donyell always gets left off. He was the 2nd best player in the country as a JR.
Donyell was awesome offensively and defensively but sadly he gets dinged for the missed ft's against Florida and he didn't really bring it in that tournament.

Ray was pretty awesome in the tournament his sophomore and junior year but he wasn't too good in that loss to Mississippi State which I put up there with the Donyell Florida game as the most disappointing loss in UConn history.

With Bazz, Tristen, and Donovan each having two national championships I have no problem with any of them being on a positionless top 5 UConn list. Alex also has 2 but was never dominant like those guys, if he wins a third he will catapult to top 5 on most people's lists. It's weird that I've seen Rudy Gay on multiple UConn top 5's. He obviously shouldn't be there. Caron was significantly better than Rudy.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Donyell was awesome offensively and defensively but sadly he gets dinged for the missed ft's against Florida and he didn't really bring it in that tournament.

Ray was pretty awesome in the tournament his sophomore and junior year but he wasn't too good in that loss to Mississippi State which I put up there with the Donyell Florida game as the most disappointing loss in UConn history.

With Bazz, Tristen, and Donovan each having two national championships I have no problem with any of them being on a positionless top 5 UConn list. Alex also has 2 but was never dominant like those guys, if he wins a third he will catapult to top 5 on most people's lists. It's weird that I've seen Rudy Gay on multiple UConn top 5's. He obviously shouldn't be there. Caron was significantly better than Rudy.

I guess I look at this mostly as who do I want on the floor if I need to win a game? He was our best PF and it's not close. The OP said "starting 5." So it can be positionless but you'd still want 2 bigs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's weird that I've seen Rudy Gay on multiple UConn top 5's. He obviously shouldn't be there. Caron was significantly better than Rudy.
It's dropping truth bombs like this that earn you grace from me on all the other stuff you're wrong about ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom