Karaban's 3P Shooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karaban's 3P Shooting

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
He can be 0-10 and I’m still going to be celebrating with 3 fingers in the air the second his 11th shot leaves his fingers

If Alex Karaban turns down an open 3, I’ll be mad about it. He’s a shooter and shooters shoot
This.

Look at his 3 point stats last year, and then this years. Dude is a 40 percent shooter on high volume.

As long as good looks keep shooting. When they start falling we will be unbeatable.

You’d have to be nuts to tell him to stop shooting.

Hurley himself said AKs shooting is the last thing he is worried about. I agree.

Reaction Score
I see a hot streak a-comin, it's coming 'round the bend...

Last 5 Games
6-22
27%

Previous 5 Games
12-31
39%

Previous 5 Games
12-29
41%

Previous 5 Games
14-29
48%

So...attempting threes at a lower rate and making threes at a lower rate...
Lot of miles on that body, as Stewart rounded into the rotation later in the season. Even with the slump, he’s still second on the team in 3 pt %.

Reaction Score
Alex did have a wrap on his wrist earlier in the season. Can't remember why.

Reaction Score
AK has to drive to the hoop and watch the ball go through the hoop
He will be fine
He is crazy good on cuts to the basket and getting in the lane putting shots over his defender. He doesnt need to just hit 3s so if theyre not falling he needs to go into attack mode because he is excellent at it.

Reaction Score
The whole team was rushing 3s last game. They are very accurate when they set. With so many ways of scoring, this team doesn't need to rush things from 3.

Even Cam was jumping forward on his shot and his form looked different.

Reaction Score
I see a hot streak a-comin, it's coming 'round the bend...

Last 5 Games
6-22
27%

Previous 5 Games
12-31
39%

Previous 5 Games
12-29
41%

Previous 5 Games
14-29
48%

So...attempting threes at a lower rate and making threes at a lower rate...
Tell us you aren't very good at trend lines. But maybe there's something we don't know unless his injury never fully healed.

Reaction Score
I suspect that this is just a reflection of them running more plays for Clingan evidenced by Clingan's ppg incrementally rising from 10.2 to 14.8 over the same span,

This means less sets for Karaban which is leading to less attempts and harder attempts for Karaban. Of course...much of this is predicated on match ups and likely to reverse as Karaban returns to his mean.

Reaction Score
I could be and am probably wrong but doesn't his rotation on the ball look like it's spinning sideways ? I thought I noticed that during the last few games . A weird spin
You are correct - almost like a knuckle ball. Doesn’t have the classic backspin, release and arch of a prototype perfect jump shot. That doesn’t mean Alex can’t deliver doing it another way - but doing it that way puts him out on an island - where no one can really help him without starting from square one.
Alex is an amazing person and player, so I expect him to conquer all challenges but it is sad that no one can really help him.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how much time the guys get before these games to get acclimated to the court and rims for tournament games?

Reaction Score
You are correct - almost like a knuckle ball. Doesn’t have the classic backspin, release and arch of a prototype perfect jump shot. That doesn’t mean Alex can’t deliver doing it another way - but doing it that way puts him out on an island - where no one can really help him without starting from square one.
Alex is an amazing person and player, so I expect him to conquer all challenges but it is sad that no one can really help him.
Has it always been like that ?

Reaction Score
He is crazy good on cuts to the basket and getting in the lane putting shots over his defender. He doesnt need to just hit 3s so if theyre not falling he needs to go into attack mode because he is excellent at it.
I agree, maybe start from the inside to outside

Reaction Score
Unrelated but I was surprised at how little JStew played yesterday. He’s been playing mostly quite well, and it wasn’t like it was a particularly tough matchup for him.

Reaction Score
Unrelated but I was surprised at how little JStew played yesterday. He’s been playing mostly quite well, and it wasn’t like it was a particularly tough matchup for him.
I definitely notice when he's in now....he managed to rack up 3 fouls in 10 minutes, but he's certainly been a nice addition to the rotation if only to give AK more rest

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how much time the guys get before these games to get acclimated to the court and rims for tournament games?
To add to this the announcers mentioned they are using a different ball for the tourney and UConn started using it part of the time a few weeks ago to prepare. The announcers said some of the players on UConn complained the tourney ball was tacky. Why all teams don't use the same ball all year and during the tourney is beyond me but this is the NCAA we are talking about.

Reaction Score
you cant just exclude his 2 good games for the sake of the narrative but him shooting 5% under his season average over the last 10 games is concerning nevertheless
Uhh…yeah you can.

Reaction Score
I’m not worried about it but it would be good if he starts shooting threes better.

He did play at the Garden once in high school and had about 30 points. My son wanted to go so I took him and a couple friends. So let’s hope the Garden is good luck for him.
He's played AAU games there also.

“I was definitely there a lot for the (Celtics') playoff games,” Karaban said. “I was there last year when the Celtics were playing in a playoff game. When I was at Algonquin, I played a high school game there and we won. AAU-wise, we won games there, too.

“I haven’t lost a game at TD Garden yet, knock on wood. It’s definitely a special place.”

Newton says Karaban is ready to rock the Garden.

“He’ll probably have about 50 people there,” Tristen Newton said. “AK, every time his family is there to support him, he’s going to play a great game. I can’t wait to see what he does next week.”

Alternate access:

Alex Karaban happy to be heading to Boston with his UConn teammates

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Uhh…yeah you can.
That's good news, because if you take away his 2 worst games in the last 10 then he's shooting 40% and we have absolutely nothing to worry about. Just a couple bad games and otherwise he's been normal.

He's shooting 40.5% in his last 7 games which is just as arbitrary an amount of games as 5 or 10 so we can go with that too. Or 38.9% in his last 13 games. If one more fell in that stretch he'd be just over 40% so surely we can agree that's a little bit of bad luck or variance. Plus he was just coming off a sprained ankle at the start of that stretch.

Small sample size isn't just a catch phrase, and no one is doing anyone any favors by picking and choosing data sets to make things look better or worse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom