Karaban's 3P Shooting | The Boneyard

Karaban's 3P Shooting

Reaction Score
To preface, Alex has done a lot of things very well lately. His backdoor cuts, screening, and rebounding have all been solid. That said, as I thought about how we get beat as the competition intensifies, I think it comes down to a) Clingan/Castle avoiding foul trouble and b) Alex's outside shooting. Clearly, we've been fine without it so far but against elite offensive teams, we need to put up points and don't think Donovan will feast quite as much going forward.

The last 10 games haven't been great for Alex. He's shooting 34% from 3, 5 points below his season average. That includes 2 terrific 3P shooting games against PC and MU. Excluding those 2, he's 9 for 38 (24%) and 6-22 over his last 5 games. To me, he's seemed hesitant on a few open looks that he usually pops. Hoping he comes out hot on Thursday (or we get prime time Stewie stepping it up again).

Karaban.jpeg.jpg

Reaction Score
I see a hot streak a-comin, it's coming 'round the bend...

Last 5 Games
6-22
27%

Previous 5 Games
12-31
39%

Previous 5 Games
12-29
41%

Previous 5 Games
14-29
48%

So...attempting threes at a lower rate and making threes at a lower rate...

Reaction Score
Karaban has definitely been streaking. He seems to be passing up potential 3 point shots. Nonetheless, he was instrumental in last year's run and made huge 3 pointers. He's definitely due for a huge game.

Reaction Score
I've heard this attributed to Larry Bird. I have no way of knowing if he really said it. Regardless, it does speak to a shooters mentality.

"If I'm making 'em I shoot until I miss. If I missing 'em, I shoot until I make 'em."

Reaction Score

Last 5 Games
6-22
27%

Previous 5 Games
12-31
39%

Previous 5 Games
12-29
41%

Previous 5 Games
14-29
48%

This looks like a consistent downward trend and doesn’t seem promising for a sudden breakout…

Reaction Score
most college players are streaky shooters. anything above 33% is good. The shot selection and form seem fine, This is why UConn having so many good players is critical. Different guys will be good/bad on different nights and balance each other out.

Reaction Score
Just trying to look at the glass as one quarter full rather than three quarters empty...
Calcaterra who was a very good shooter also had a slump last year, and then one night it was over. Same thing as Alleyne.

As long as the player keeps shooting and doesn’t obsess over it, it all balances out. Threads like this one a just begging to mess with a players mind and create a problem that isn’t there.

Reaction Score
Eye test is also that he missed pretty bad. When Cam misses it’s typically inner rim, with Alex he lays some serious bricks. He also takes far too many overly deep 3s. Where Cam is an inch off the line, Alex takes some 6-7 feet off the line. I think he needs to pass on those. Have noticed that at his best when clean catch and shoot off the move, along the line.

Reaction Score
Hopefully playing in front of the home crowd in Boston snaps him right out of that funk. If he’s hitting, this team is near unstoppable.
I’m not worried about it but it would be good if he starts shooting threes better.

He did play at the Garden once in high school and had about 30 points. My son wanted to go so I took him and a couple friends. So let’s hope the Garden is good luck for him.

Reaction Score

Last 5 Games
6-22
27%

Previous 5 Games
12-31
39%

Previous 5 Games
12-29
41%

Previous 5 Games
14-29
48%

And I ain’t seen the sunshine since I don’t know when…

Reaction Score
AK has to drive to the hoop and watch the ball go through the hoop
He will be fine
Agree about Alex driving and cutting more, that and two key rebounds were his best moments last night.
The problem with Alex’s shot, is he has such an unorthodox form that a coach just leaves it alone - if it keeps going in. To actively coach up his shot would require a summer long rebuilt of his shot.
Donovan on the other hand has good form so within that context you can coach him on bending his knees on foul shots and so on.

Reaction Score
I could be and am probably wrong but doesn't his rotation on the ball look like it's spinning sideways ? I thought I noticed that during the last few games . A weird spin

Reaction Score
Alex just needs to see the ball go in the hoop. Wouldn't be surprised to see Hurley run some action for him early in the game for that reason. His coaches and teammates trust him.

Reaction Score
based on nothing, we have and will win every game in which Karaban and Spencer both make their first 3 pointer.

Reaction Score
He has a very good mid shot game but I’m sure he wants the 3. He’ll get it back.

Reaction Score
I could be and am probably wrong but doesn't his rotation on the ball look like it's spinning sideways ? I thought I noticed that during the last few games . A weird spin
Had floor seats and right behind one of his missed threes - ball does have a slightly off center rotation. His shot is a bit unorthodox, low load/cork. Versus a Newt or Cam that are high release, really simple/clean.

End of day he still shoots it 40% so it works, but I do think some of these mild things can lead to him having some slight funks that he needs to adjust and find feel for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom