Karaban, Floyd ready to help Huskies next season | The Boneyard

Karaban, Floyd ready to help Huskies next season

Reaction Score
Good article from the New London Day. Much better than reading all the transfer stuff!

"The thing you know about Alex and Corey is that they'll force their way on the court," Hurley said. "You just can't recruit somebody and think they're good enough. Once they get here, they've got to get themselves on the court. Guys like James (Bouknight) and Adama (Sanogo) and Andre Jackson, from the day they stepped foot on campus here, they made it abundantly clear that they were not going to be not on the court.

"Alex is going to have to fight his way on the court. But he's a good player. He's got a super skill, which is shooting and passing."

Reaction Score
Karaban and Floyd should both help next season. Plus, Gaffney and Diggins had to know they would be recruited over via the portal. Plenty of reasons for optimism next season. The core of Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins provides some nice pieces already. A couple of very good transfers via the portal and this team should be strong next season, especially if we land a veteran, leader point guard.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good article from the New London Day. Much better than reading all the transfer stuff!

"The thing you know about Alex and Corey is that they'll force their way on the court," Hurley said. "You just can't recruit somebody and think they're good enough. Once they get here, they've got to get themselves on the court. Guys like James (Bouknight) and Adama (Sanogo) and Andre Jackson, from the day they stepped foot on campus here, they made it abundantly clear that they were not going to be not on the court.

"Alex is going to have to fight his way on the court. But he's a good player. He's got a super skill, which is shooting and passing."

They're going to make mistakes early on that come with inexperience, but there's nothing to not like about everything they and DH said in that article.

Reaction Score
Freshmen be freshmen, so who knows?

Big East ain't high school or practice. Only thing you can count on are the vets.

Just tempering my expectations with the newbies.

Reaction Score
My bold prediction for next year is Floyd ends up on the first or second team All Big East.

Adam Flager or MaCio Teague from that 2021 Baylor squad might be a great comp for him in the future
I love Floyd. I think your prediction is premature though. I think he has a solid freshman year and emerges as a star in year 2. I do have a great feeling about this kid though.

Reaction Score
I love Floyd. I think your prediction is premature though. I think he has a solid freshman year and emerges as a star in year 2. I do have a great feeling about this kid though.
It was not a prediction. It was a bold prediction ;)

Reaction Score
The bits of info that have leaked out here-and-there suggest that Floyd will be ready to provide important substantial minutes next year.

I also know that during that preseason open practice/scrimmage, he and Hawkins stood out the most amongst the 4 freshmen to my astute scouting eyes (sarcasm, folks). Floyd played fearless & strong...like a 3rd-year guy.

Johnson showed some promise but you could tell he was going to be a bit more of a project and would be limited by his slight frame.

I am bullish on Floyd & Johnson for next year. Can't directly comment on Karaban but I'll trust that a semester of practice/S&C will put him in a good position for at least spot minutes next year [in the way that Hawkins developed]

Reaction Score
Did you not see the words "bold prediction"? That's the point
That would mean either Hurley kept a kid that talented on the bench all last season for no reason or he made the biggest off-season jump in recent memory as essentially a freshman. Love the enthusiasm but that prediction blew past bold right into delusional

Reaction Score
That would mean either Hurley kept a kid that talented on the bench all last season for no reason or he made the biggest off-season jump in recent memory as essentially a freshman. Love the enthusiasm but that prediction blew past bold right into delusional
"After talking with his family and Hurley, he decided to sit out his freshman year as a redshirt."

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It was not a prediction. It was a bold prediction ;)
If he ends up first team all BE I’m not sure if that’ll make the end of this season sting more or less

Reaction Score

To clarify for the casuals, you take 2 skills and combine them to create 1 super skill

Reaction Score
"After talking with his family and Hurley, he decided to sit out his freshman year as a redshirt."
Right. Which means he wasn’t going to be a huge contributor last year and he and DH decided not to waste a year. And?

Reaction Score
Saw this quote from Floyd in the article about Gaffney transferring. Thought it was interesting. Whether it's true or not, we'll see. He probably realizes that at 6-3 if he has professional aspirations they will be as a point guard. Curious to see if he really does have point guard skills. Or can he at least be that 2nd ball handling creating guard that I think the Huskies need?

Earlier this week, Floyd said he can play either guard spot.

"I can play point," Floyd said. "I've been working on my ball handling a lot this year. The one position is actually easy for me. I like to pass first and get my teammates involved."

Reaction Score
Saw this quote from Floyd in the article about Gaffney transferring. Thought it was interesting. Whether it's true or not, we'll see. He probably realizes that at 6-3 if he has professional aspirations they will be as a point guard. Curious to see if he really does have point guard skills. Or can he at least be that 2nd ball handling creating guard that I think the Huskies need?

Earlier this week, Floyd said he can play either guard spot.

"I can play point," Floyd said. "I've been working on my ball handling a lot this year. The one position is actually easy for me. I like to pass first and get my teammates involved."

At a minimum, I hope this indicates that he will be a reliable ball-handler. Honestly, the 1 vs 2 guard discussion, especially when Andre will also be on the floor, is less important than having multiple guards that can a.) reliably handle the ball, and b.) create their own shot.

Reaction Score
Right. Which means he wasn’t going to be a huge contributor last year and he and DH decided not to waste a year. And?
Possibly he improved?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I’m assuming no one knows the answer to this because he hasn’t played yet but I’ll ask anyway. Can Karaban score with his back to the basket or is he an 8’+ out shooter?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Hoping Floyd is a confident player. Need him and Hawkins to be walking buckets. Hawkins needs muscle and confidence for him to take the next step. He has great form and talent to be really really good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom