Kara Wolters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kara Wolters

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice there was only 1 player named who led the Huskies in scoring for all 4 years?

View attachment 58467
Are you talking about the greatest Huskie of all time??? Stewie is great and Diana is as well but Maya Moore is the only Huskie that I ever saw compete at the highest level from day one and she is easily at the top of my list for favorite Huskie

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1599477757009.png

Reaction Score
How could Stokes have been the center in the 2015-2016 season when she was no longer on the team? :) She graduated. :)

Breanna may have guarded the other team's center, but she was never the center. Natalie Butler was the backup center, genius.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. They were both sort of 4.5 when on the court together. I support that by when Stokes or Dolson were on the court they were the 5. Additional support was often in the big line up, Morgan became the 4 and Stewie became the 3.

I even think saying Tina was a center is stretching it. I would say she was a PF and UConn just played without a true center which has been common through the recent years.

Tina is listed as a center in the WNBA, but she wasn't the center for UConn?

Reaction Score
Tina is listed as a center in the WNBA, but she wasn't the center for UConn?
She played PF for the Liberty for many years (Stokes and Zaui B at center) and also plays PF on the national team. The Mystics play small ball and have no centers so sure they can call her a center just to have someone as center on the roster.

Reaction Score
Breanna may have guarded the other team's center, but she was never the center. Natalie Butler was the backup center, genius.

What you just said imo is a ridiculous statement. You're making up your own positions. When you guard another center for most of the game when you are in and when you also inside posting just as much as any other player-- you are playing center.

Reaction Score
She played PF for the Liberty for many years (Stokes and Zaui B at center) and also plays PF on the national team. The Mystics play small ball and have no centers so sure they can call her a center just to have someone as center on the roster.

What does this have to do with UCONN?

Reaction Score
What you just said imo is a ridiculous statement. You're making up your own positions. When you guard another center for most of the game when you are in and when you also inside posting just as much as any other player-- you are playing center.

have to disagree here. My daughter guarded the center of other teams because she was the tallest and more willing to bang down low compared to the others on her college team. But she was def a power forward. she was also guarded by the other teams best defender and they def weren’t all centers

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]

She should be, shouldn't she? What about A
have to disagree here. My daughter guarded the center of other teams because she was the tallest and more willing to bang down low compared to the others on her college team. But she was def a power forward. she was also guarded by the other teams best defender and they def weren’t all centers

Who guards her is not relevant. But it matters who she guards- it reflects to the style she is playing in that specific game. It's about how "she" is playing in that game- . We are talking about our team not theirs. And just like in this case if there is a consistency vs another team's position- such as Stewart usually guarded the tallest inside player in 2015-2016 - then she is a center for that game. Otherwise, who else is the starting center if not Stewart? If And if she has to guard the best teams tallest player-- she is playing center. Who is the center then? And what makes you say she is power forward than a center? Because she is going to take more outside shots than a big center?

There are 5 positions on the floor, center, pf, sf, sg and pg. You are making up your own positions if you cant account for a player at each position.

**Tell me why a player who guards the center for most of the time she is in, and scores like a center inside just as much inside as any other player, why would she be disqualified as playing center? IMO you just can't arbitrarily say "there is no center starting the game" because you've made up a personal pov that a team can play without a center.

There has to be a starting center each game. There has to be a power forward each game etc. **And when she (Stewie) is defending the other team's low post player and she is scoring inside just as much as anyone else she is playing the game like a center. That's a center.

When we talk about projected lineups for our team-- can't we use terminology like "I think she can play the 5?" Well if a player is playing the 5, what does that mean? It means she is playing center, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She should be, shouldn't she? What about A

Who guards her is not relevant. But it matters who she guards- it reflects to the style she is playing in that specific game. It's about how "she" is playing in that game- . We are talking about our team not theirs. And just like in this case if there is a consistency vs another team's position- such as Stewart usually guarded the tallest inside player in 2015-2016 - then she is a center for that game. Otherwise, who else is the starting center if not Stewart? If And if she has to guard the best teams tallest player-- she is playing center. Who is the center then? And what makes you say she is power forward than a center? Because she is going to take more outside shots than a big center?

There are 5 positions on the floor, center, pf, sf, sg and pg. You are making up your own positions if you cant account for a player at each position.

**Tell me why a player who guards the center for most of the time she is in, and plays just as much inside as any other player, why would she be disqualified as playing center? IMO you just can't arbitrarily say "there is no center starting the game" because you've made up a personal pov that a team can play without a center.

There has to be a starting center each game. There has to be a power forward each game etc. **And when she (Stewie) is defending the other team's low post player and she is scoring inside just as much as anyone else she is playing the game like a center. That's a center.

When we talk about projected lineups for our team-- can't we use terminology like "I think she can play the 5?" Well if a player is playing the 5, what does that mean? It means she is playing center, right?
[/QUOTE]

Uconn plays does not play by position. And nope, just cuz someone guards that position doesn’t not make them a player of it. Ask Gabby. Stewie wasn’t a center, then or now.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]

Uconn plays does not play by position. And nope, just cuz someone guards that position doesn’t not make them a player of it. Ask Gabby. Stewie wasn’t a center, then or now.
[/QUOTE]

UCONN does play positions. Otherwise you are saying Liv is not the center? MoJeff and Sue Bird and Danger were not the team's pg?
While teams play the positions differently, there remains 5 positions on the court. You seem to have no problem identifying your daughter at a position too.

Gabby was the center in certain games because in basketball there are 5 positions- center, pf, sf, sf and pg. You are making up your own definition if you don't believe this.

**Tell me why a player who guards the center for most of the time she is in, and plays just as much inside as any other player, why would she be disqualified as playing center? Because you say so? If it walks like a duck . . .

Reaction Score
But you gave examples of non-UCONN.
Once UConn always UConn. What I am trying to say for the 100th time, at UConn just because she was the tallest player on the court doesn't mean she was a center. She was a PF with Maya as the SF and they had no center.

Back to the topic at hand, in the 1990s and early 2000s, I'd go with Kara since everyone played a game similar to present day Baylor.

Today, I wouldn't really start a center, I'd start 2 PFs so give me Tina and Stewie. I'd like to have a Kara type on the bench as 6th woman for the few Baylor type games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some of the stuff posted in this thread is crazy.

Tina Charles played center while at UConn. Geno referred to Tina as a Center. The roster listed her as a Center for her 4 years at UConn. A couple of 6-3+ players at UConn were listed as Center/Forward (eg Brit Hunter, Heather Buck), but not Tina. She was listed as Center every year.

Maya Moore played the PF while at UConn. She played the Wing/Small Forward as a pro but not at UConn. Same with Collier.

Reaction Score
Once UConn always UConn. What I am trying to say for the 100th time, at UConn just because she was the tallest player on the court doesn't mean she was a center. She was a PF with Maya as the SF and they had no center.

Back to the topic at hand, in the 1990s and early 2000s, I'd go with Kara since everyone played a game similar to present day Baylor.

Today, I wouldn't really start a center, I'd start 2 PFs so give me Tina and Stewie. I'd like to have a Kara type on the bench as 6th woman for the few Baylor type games.

There is nothing I agree with you on here though Tina and Stewie would be great. I'd prefer the following fantasy 12 player college lineup because I'm only talking college (not pros) and I want to push pace. And to push pace I'm also looking for a slasher.

Center: Stewart. ((As showed she played the center (and pf) great in her sr year)). Overall nobody was better than her at end of frosh year through her sr year whether it be PF or C.
Power forward: Maya Moore (she played power forward over 3/4's of her career at UCONN)
Small Forward: Nykesha Sales (I need a slasher, a ball handler, a shooter, a scorer and someone tough. She fits the bill as to how a sf plays and I need her to play. There is a better sg than her so move her to sf.).
Shooting guard: DT (she played both pg, and sg and arguably played sf too).
Point guard-- Sue Bird and Mo Jeff to keep pace of play.

Lobo is a center and power forward. She is better than Nykesha but in college I want to play Maya Moore at her most effective position she played in college which was Power Forward. As a power forward - the slower bigs cannot guard her. If the opposing team goes small then they play into UCONN's style of wanting to play fastbreak hoop. So Lobo is 1st off the bench in the frontcourt.
Then have four other bench players, Tina, Bascom, Jen and Sveta. Unsure about the 12th player.

But this team is setup to run. The Baylor Bigs cannot guard Maya at the PF the same way no big ever could guard her. Stanford had "some" success but they had quick bigs like Ogwumike. And even if Maya is out and UCONN has Lobo and Tina at center-- who would take Baylor's Cox and Brown over them?

And another point- centers don't have to be big and slow. And centers don't have to score all their baskets inside. And we already did see Tina wipe out Griner-- though true Griner was a frosh but Tina pounded her like the center she was at UCONN.

Reaction Score

She did not guard the other team's center most of the game, not even half the game. Yes, UConn is great at switching on defense, hence Breanna guarding the other team's center.

Reaction Score
Not sure where this Stewart is a Center nonsense is coming from. No one, herself, Geno, her teammates, would label her as such. Of course, she could literally play/dominate all 5 positions because of her quickness, size & wingspan. But, she played most of her time on the wing facing the basket, versus in the paint with her back to the basket. Yes, she could post up to create a mismatch if she wanted to, but that was a minority of the time, Yes, she could rebound because she was always attaching the basket. But, a true center, spends most of the time in the paint posting up with her back to the basket. Also, UConn often played with 2G - 3F sets, with no center the way its traditionally viewed. If I had to label Stewart, it would the 4 or Power Forward.

Reaction Score
She did not guard the other team's center most of the game, not even half the game. Yes, UConn is great at switching on defense, hence Breanna guarding the other team's center.

Switching on defense to define the position of the player? No.

As I have said look at the games in the NCAA in 15-16 between Miss State, Texas and Oregon State. Before any switches are done after UCONN scored on offense, Stewart is defending the center as the opposing team is bringing up the ball. She starts off defending the opposing center. That means she is playing defensively as the team's center vs the opposing center. **At around the 6.5 minute mark 1st quarter vs Miss State even when UCONN went zone- Stewart is in the middle of the zone too. These are roles defined by centers.

Every made basket UCONN had in 1st quarter she guarded the opposing team's starting center. She only played 25 minutes and she started by guarding the opposing team's center. So you're trying to suggest she isn't the center because she helped out? All defenses have some form of help. If you are "helping" it means you are also "switching" if a play continues for more than several seconds. So yeah she helped out. She got 5 blocks. Generally centers usually have the most blocked shot OfC not all the time. And some centers can only rarely block shots but if your center is helping - they do. This is what Stewart was doing in this NCAA game vs Miss State. :) ). Most if not all the blocks would have been on the inside. Similar to a center helping defend the paint.

So you're saying because she helps out - she isn't a center???? Further, as an example, teams used to put Shaquille O'Neal in switches such as a pick-n-roll. So when he was guarding the guard that put him in the pick-n-roll, your definition would be that he's not really the center because he switched?

Anyhow when the score was 40-8 - after a made basket when UCONN was able to set their defense- they chose to have Stewart guard the opposing center or she was in the middle of a 2-3 zone. That's a center for that particular game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Switching on defense to define the position of the player? No.

As I have said look at the games in the NCAA in 15-16 between Miss State, Texas and Oregon State. Before any switches are done after UCONN scored on offense, Stewart is defending the center as the opposing team is bringing up the ball. She starts off defending the opposing center. That means she is playing defensively as the team's center vs the opposing center. **At around the 6.5 minute mark 1st quarter vs Miss State even when UCONN went zone- Stewart is in the middle of the zone too. These are roles defined by centers.

Every made basket UCONN had in 1st quarter she guarded the opposing team's starting center. She only played 25 minutes and she started by guarding the opposing team's center. So you're trying to suggest she isn't the center because she helped out? All defenses have some form of help. If you are "helping" it means you are also "switching" if a play continues for more than several seconds. So yeah she helped out. She got 5 blocks. Generally centers usually have the most blocked shot OfC not all the time. And some centers can only rarely block shots but if your center is helping - they do. This is what Stewart was doing in this NCAA game vs Miss State. :) ). Most if not all the blocks would have been on the inside. Similar to a center helping defend the paint.

So you're saying because she helps out - she isn't a center???? Further, as an example, teams used to put Shaquille O'Neal in switches such as a pick-n-roll. So when he was guarding the guard that put him in the pick-n-roll, your definition would be that he's not really the center because he switched?

Anyhow when the score was 40-8 - after a made basket when UCONN was able to set their defense- they chose to have Stewart guard the opposing center or she was in the middle of a 2-3 zone. That's a center for that particular game.

You're wasting your breath. Morgan played center because Breanna wasn't strong enough to play center. Did you ever see Breanna guard Natalie Achonwa? No. Did you ever see her guard Alaina Coates? No.

Reaction Score
You're wasting your breath. Morgan played center because Breanna wasn't strong enough to play center. Did you ever see Breanna guard Natalie Achonwa? No. Did you ever see her guard Alaina Coates? No.

So because Stewie didn't guard Natalie Achonwa, regardless of the centers she guarded for example vs Miss. State,, because you say-so- the other centers, don't count as centers?

Reaction Score
So because Stewie didn't guard Natalie Achonwa, regardless of the centers she guarded for example vs Miss. State,, because you say-so- the other centers, don't count as centers?

She guarded Teaira McCowan? You're kidding, right? One-on-one the entire game? No.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom