Kara Lawson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kara Lawson

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I also like Debbie Antonelli.

Antonelli certainly has an excitement for the game and she is certainly knowledgeable, but I almost wonder if she is better off in the studio/podcast setting. She tends to get overly excited, so much so that a game between two middle-of-the-conference teams becomes the most impressive display of basketball in the annals of sport.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Leslie has done broadcasting work intermittently since 2003, when she was the color commentator for the UConn-Tennessee game.
For those who missed them, she did 2 games a day of the olympic tourney, remotely, like Coach Peck.

Here's what got to me - at their best, Annie, Peck and Leslie were very, very good. At their worst, there were points I wanted to turn off the sound. And they pack both into a 40 minute game. Yikes, they're as inconsistent as referees!!!!!!!!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I though Lisa did a nice job remoting in from NY, particularly since the anchor would ask her questions that were definitely to explain the game and situation to people who do not follow women's basketball. She sometimes had to "explain" what would, to most Boneyarders, be the obvious.

Kara would have been a big plus, but remember, she would have had to have been "excused" for a few weeks by the Sun. They were not playing games during the Olympic break, but they were practicing, doing appearances, and having team activities.

Sure would have enjoyed hearing her thoughts, tho.....

Reaction Score
Based on your post, it leads me to wonder if you either do not follow the men's game or if you have not seen Bilas' work.

If you speak with most analysts and look at most surveys (or even just examine message boards), you will find that Jay Bilas is considered one of, if not the, best color analyst in the men's college game. As noted earlier in this thread, his color commentary work for the WNBA was stellar.

Wonder no more. Basketball has been my passion for a long time, and can go back as far as Steve Vacendak at Duke, although I was never a fan of the Blue Devils until they started bringing in guys like Willie Hodge who, judging from your handle, played at Duke while you were there; was on the same team as the only non-Villanova Melchioni.

I have always thought that Jay Bilas was an excellent announcer, but would prefer to accept the praises from less obviously biased sources. That said, my social circle does not put me in situations where I get to speak to baksetball analysts. I am, also, totally ignorant of any surveys that rate analysts and announcers. It does not even seem possible that such surveys could exist given the incompetence of those who are always able to find employment. As I have stated at least a couple of times, it annoys me to no end that WCBB is too often used as a training/dumping ground for announcers.

Reaction Score
Antonelli certainly has an excitement for the game and she is certainly knowledgeable, but I almost wonder if she is better off in the studio/podcast setting. She tends to get overly excited, so much so that a game between two middle-of-the-conference teams becomes the most impressive display of basketball in the annals of sport.

Now, how can we trust that your views of Ms Antonelli, the NC State grad, are not a little bit negatively biased?:rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't follow men's basketball - and knew how well thought of Jay Bilas was.

The little bit I do see of him - it seems to me he has gotten a bit more "pompous" (for lack of a better word) than he used to be. But as I say, on very limited exposure, mostly not actually working a game.

Reaction Score
Ann Meyers knows a lot about women's basketball. But somehow
getting it from her brain to her mouth and then out the door has
always been a big problem.

Listening to her commentary during the Olympics, I found myself
constantly doing real time translations (. . . what she meant to say
was . . . , what she meant to say was . . . ).

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Wonder no more. Basketball has been my passion for a long time, and can go back as far as Steve Vacendak at Duke, although I was never a fan of the Blue Devils until they started bringing in guys like Willie Hodge who, judging from your handle, played at Duke while you were there; was on the same team as the only non-Villanova Melchioni.

I have always thought that Jay Bilas was an excellent announcer, but would prefer to accept the praises from less obviously biased sources. That said, my social circle does not put me in situations where I get to speak to baksetball analysts. I am, also, totally ignorant of any surveys that rate analysts and announcers. It does not even seem possible that such surveys could exist given the incompetence of those who are always able to find employment. As I have stated at least a couple of times, it annoys me to no end that WCBB is too often used as a training/dumping ground for announcers.

You presume bias solely based on the fact that I graduated from Duke and nothing else?

1974 is my year of birth, not my graduation year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Incidentally, notice how Trey Wingo refers to Peck as "The Coach, Carolyn Peck" much in the same way Ann Meyers is referred to as "Hall of Famer, Ann Meyers." Based on the frequency of use, it is either necessary to establish their credentials (since they clearly do not have journalistic ones) or it is a contractual obligation negotiated by the respective representatives/agents/attorneys for Peck and Meyers. My vote is for the latter...

I think this is likely. Without getting into specific individuals, it is a strange but powerful tradition in America that once you hold a title (however briefly or ignominiously), you hold it forever. Thus, it is customary (e.g., on Sunday morning news interviews) for individuals to be addressed as "Governor," "Mr. Speaker," "Senator," "Coach," or some similar high-falootin' title -- in perpetuity.

More specifically, in Joe DiMaggio's last years, hosts were contractually obligated to (1) not only pay him the customary personal appearance fee, (2) but also to introduce him last, and (3) introduce him as "America's greatest living baseball player."

On the personal side, I have a very close friend who is (1) a retired US Army Colonel, (2) holds a Ph.D., and (3) is a professor (organic chemistry) at a regional university. When I asked her if whether her students called her "Colonel," "Doctor," or "Professor," she said, "Nah, they just refer to me as That Old Bitch."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At least he's probably still got all of his teeth.
If his teeth get any longer and he can get more cranky he will be very bearlike. Teeth and all.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
On the personal side, I have a very close friend who is (1) a retired US Army Colonel, (2) holds a Ph.D., and (3) is a professor (organic chemistry) at a regional university. When I asked her if whether her students called her "Colonel," "Doctor," or "Professor," she said, "Nah, they just refer to me as That Old Bitch."

Your friend has earned her title!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Disagree, '69 was the best year. Think about it.

Come to think of it, I entirely agree, and am man enough to admit it! When any of us looks into our heart, I think we all secretly envy that euphoria you must have felt during Grant’s Inauguration, and will forever be indebted to that Spirit of ’69, and everything your Intercontinental Railroad still provides us today!
Railroad.jpg

OT Test: Find Artemus Gordon & James West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member