Kara Lawson | The Boneyard

Kara Lawson

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just realized how much I missed her analysis of women's basketball during the Olympics. Wish someone had added her to coverage as I would have loved to get her take on the team and the games. She has absolutely turned into my favorite analyst!
I know she was disappointed not to make the team, but her comments after that came down were very positive. One of my favorite TN Vols. (Catch is catching her up!)

Reaction Score
After watching Catch at the Olympics and listening to Kara, I've come to realize these are the real Lady Vols...and you kinda have to like 'em...

Reaction Score
I say Lawson and Lobo are the best.

I have to agree that Lawson would've been a good addition. Hard to believe Peck got picked and Lawson didn't. No comparison, but maybe one agent is more connected or there are stipulations in their contracts. Perhaps Peck is freelance for ESPN and Lawson is staff? I thought Jeff Van Gundy, in his one appearance as an analyst, was the greatest in WBB history. I also liked it when ESPNU used Dan Hughes.

Reaction Score
I have to agree that Lawson would've been a good addition. Hard to believe Peck got picked and Lawson didn't. No comparison, but maybe one agent is more connected or there are stipulations in their contracts. Perhaps Peck is freelance for ESPN and Lawson is staff? I thought Jeff Van Gundy, in his one appearance as an analyst, was the greatest in WBB history. I also liked it when ESPNU used Dan Hughes.

Gotta love Jeff Van Gundy...

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

Maybe. It's also possible that NBC was clueless in their decision-making process.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I say Lawson and Lobo are the best.

I like Lobo especially when she is doing color for a game. It plays to her strengths. In-studio, I think she is not as strong but is getting better. Lawson is excellent in-studio. (Has she done color or sideline for games before? If so I haven't seen those games but I would love to hear her live commentary.)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Yes, she's done quite a few games, including many men's games.

I need to watch for her more, obviously....maybe it's because she's so ever-present in the studio...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
LOVE Kara Lawson..... great analysis.... I always had hoped that she would make the big team.

Have to disagree on Lawson. Too frequently she "states the obvious." She will start off her commentary by saying things like, "When you talk about Baylor, you have to talk about Brittany Griner. She does so much both offensively and defensively."

What she does not provide, however, are the specific details. What type of offense does a program run? What defensive schemes does the program use? How do these vary based on the opponent? What are the individual skills/moves of a particular player?

She frequently speaks in generalities without providing the specifics that her male counterparts (e.g., Jay Bilas) always provide.

Now, perhaps that is not her role in the studio, but it should be (it is Jay Bilas' role, for example). Rebecca Lobo, when doing color commentary, will focus much more on Xs and Os. I find Lobo's analysis much more substantive. Kara is good at identifying who is good and who is effective, but Lobo excels at explaining why.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Have to disagree on Lawson. Too frequently she "states the obvious." She will start off her commentary by saying things like, "When you talk about Baylor, you have to talk about Brittany Griner. She does so much both offensively and defensively."

What she does not provide, however, are the specific details. What type of offense does a program run? What defensive schemes does the program use? How do these vary based on the opponent? What are the individual skills/moves of a particular player?

She frequently speaks in generalities without providing the specifics that her male counterparts (e.g., Jay Bilas) always provide.

Now, perhaps that is not her role in the studio, but it should be (it is Jay Bilas' role, for example). Rebecca Lobo, when doing color commentary, will focus much more on Xs and Os. I find Lobo's analysis much more substantive. Kara is good at identifying who is good and who is effective, but Lobo excels at explaining why.
Interesting take on Lawson and Lobo. I will have to observe both more closely, but I think I agree with you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

But both are light years ahead of "the Coach" Caroline Peck.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know what you mean about the 'sound bite' bit with Lawson, but when she is given more than 5 seconds to analyze I think she gets pretty deep. I like Lobo OK, but still prefer Lawson. And both of them are much better than most everyone else that ends up on the women's broadcasts.

Reaction Score
Never thought about diff between Lawson and Lobo...... about Lawson's stating the obvious, though, I give her a bit of a pass.... on reasoning that many viewers are new to WCBB and need to be educated at elementary level.... perhaps

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
When Jay Bilas used to do WCBB he was phenomenol. I agree that Lobo and Lawson are very good, I'd prefer to see them doing more color commentary than sidelines or in studio.

Ann Meyers actually isn't half bad. I wonder how some retired legends, including Leslie (whom I believe did Uconn-Tenn one year) and Swoopes would do.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
When Jay Bilas used to do WCBB he was phenomenol. I agree that Lobo and Lawson are very good, I'd prefer to see them doing more color commentary than sidelines or in studio.

Ann Meyers actually isn't half bad. I wonder how some retired legends, including Leslie (whom I believe did Uconn-Tenn one year) and Swoopes would do.

Leslie has done broadcasting work intermittently since 2003, when she was the color commentator for the UConn-Tennessee game.

Reaction Score

This is an interesting take. Like Speedoo, I will have to pay more attention to the differences you listed. I will throw out your Jay Bilas comments due to an assumed Duke bias.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
This is an interesting take. Like Speedoo, I will have to pay more attention to the differences you listed. I will throw out your Jay Bilas comments due to an assumed Duke bias.

Based on your post, it leads me to wonder if you either do not follow the men's game or if you have not seen Bilas' work.

If you speak with most analysts and look at most surveys (or even just examine message boards), you will find that Jay Bilas is considered one of, if not the, best color analyst in the men's college game. As noted earlier in this thread, his color commentary work for the WNBA was stellar.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jay Bilas is the best. Of course his seat next to Digger may contribute to my assessment, but I loved it when he did WCBB many years ago. His thoughtful analysis is always spot on and he has a great sense of humor.

I often find myself agreeing with his views on the NCAA and Mark Emmert too.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As I noted earlier, it could be Kara's role to speak in generalities. With women's basketball, there is a fine line between the die-hards and appealing to the masses. You cannot presume people know the players, if the goal is to broaden viewership, so the generalities must be spoken. But the risk is that it will alienate (not in terms of not watching the broadcast, but in terms of having a lower opinion of the analyst) the viewers who regularly follow women's basketball.

And it is not like Kara has an easy gig being paired with Carolyn Peck. I would rather hear daily remixes of "Call me maybe" for the rest of my life than be subjected to the endless ramblings of Peck. Incidentally, notice how Trey Wingo refers to Peck as "The Coach, Carolyn Peck" much in the same way Ann Meyers is referred to as "Hall of Famer, Ann Meyers." Based on the frequency of use, it is either necessary to establish their credentials (since they clearly do not have journalistic ones) or it is a contractual obligation negotiated by the respective representatives/agents/attorneys for Peck and Meyers. My vote is for the latter...

That being said, I do like Kara Lawson's voice, in terms of her tone and pitch. She is "easy on the ears."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom