Kansas | The Boneyard

Kansas

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What a great way to start arguably our toughest OOC stretch in years.

Kansas plays tonight at 8:00 for those who want to watch.

I don’t know anything about Kansas this year other than they’re physical and they don’t lose at The Phog.

Can’t. Wait.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Front court foul trouble is going to worry me since we aren’t that deep at that position. I think they’re going to go at Karaban and get him in foul trouble as that’s what teams in the past have done.

Our guards needs to play smart and not get dumb reach in or swiping fouls.

Not having Castle in this game is going to be a huge negative for us. It’ll be interesting to see how we do

Reaction Score
We're not going to get any calls. It's going to be ticky tak calls and our bigs will be in foul trouble going into the second half.

I think our shooting will allow us to hang in there and keep it close enough to potentially get a win.

Hurley better keep his cool or the team will suffer for his temper.

The refs will test him and the team. This will be a frustrating game to watch.

Play smart, hit the free throws, hit the three's and don't give up easy stuff like backdoor cuts to the rim. Need to box out

As I previously stated in another thread, this will be decided in the last four minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Hurley will be extra emotional knowing the college basketball world is watching. He needs to be strategic with his screaming at the refs and avoid any meltdown.

Reaction Score
My wife is leaving to visit her parents a day earlier because she knows how much yelling at the TV will happen, lol.

This is going to be a tougher game mentally than physically.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the 1-3-1 zone to take a little pressure off of AK.

Also, praying the Castle news is legit and not just smoke and mirrors to force KU to gameplan for him

Reaction Score
Front court foul trouble is going to worry me since we aren’t that deep at that position. I think they’re going to go at Karaban and get him in foul trouble as that’s what teams in the past have done.

Not having Castle in this game is going to be a huge negative for us. It’ll be interesting to see how we do
Front court play is my main concern in this and the UNC game. We need to see how this duo stacks up against legit bigman talent. Foul wise, and minutes wise (especially DC). Our backcourt is and will remain fine.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Clingan getting pulled away from the basket by Dickinson is going to be a big thing to watch. Dickinson is a lot more mobile on the perimeter than Donovan. This might be more of a Samson game than a Clingan game for the perimeter defense. Going to need the guards to keep the KU guards out of the lane when our bigs are pulled outside.

Reaction Score
Dickinson is a lot more mobile on the perimeter than Donovan.

He's developed the ability to step outside and shoot threes but he's not particularly mobile, which is why he's predicted to be a second rounder despite his college productivity. Very good player, will be a big test for Clingan, but he's not some crazy athletic big.

Reaction Score
Evidence from two Final Four games just a mere 8 months ago where "the college basketball world was watching" suggests otherwise.
He seems a little bit on edge considering he just won a ring. But maybe that’s just him. Or me I suppose. Our run to a ring didn’t include going to a madhouse in Kansas where the refs will likely be a tad partisan to one side. If he already is saying his team isn’t given due respect by officials he may go off on Friday in that place.
Either way I’m not gonna complain much after he just got us a ring. Nothing wrong with edgy as long as it doesn’t steamroll into madness.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
  • Dickenson vs Clingan is a wash. DC much better on D, Hunter on O. Johnson is better than Parker Braun. Hunter needs to pull DC out because KU can't score worth a damn from outside. They need guys going to the rim. DC will try to score inside where Hunter has to avoid fouling because the drop-off to Braun is huge.
  • Harris is very quick and a good shooter (think Diarra with better passing and an outside shot), Newton is much bigger, stronger and can score in the paint. Neither coach probably wants either of these guys defending the other very often. Look for Solo/Diarra to take Harris and Newton to take McCullar.
  • McCullar has been KU's best player. Scores all over the court and defends and rebounds really well. Has a big size advantage with Castle out, hence why we may see Newton on him. Solo isn't a threat to do much of anything, which is why I think McCullar defends Newton as well. Solo could bully ball Harris a bit in the paint, but may also get stripped.
  • Adams and Karaban is fascinating. Adams is vey quick, strong and a phenomenal leaper (think a shorter Samson). Can't shoot at all. But he scores on cuts, lobs and put-backs. Very tough for Alex to defend, he has to avoid fouls. Alex is an offensive juggernaut and he may be bothered a little by Adams vertical leaping and quickness, but he is a bit bigger. Off the ball movement is key for Alex. KU also plays a freshman from Australia at the 4 for more shooting.
  • Spencer is light years better than Elmarko Jackson or Timberlake right now, neither of whom are shooting well. It's perfect for us, because he's dangerous as hell and neither of those guys are, so his defensive limitations won't matter much. Could be a big night for him. If he's going off, KU will switch McCullar to him and Newton will need to take advantage.
Pretty interesting chess match for the coaches really. KU is going to need Harris to score more than he has given that they get almost nothing at SG. UConn is much more balanced offensively and can hurt you from every spot on the floor except SF, which is unfortunately the spot where KU is best. I am a little concerned about our rim protection if Clingan is pulled outside, Solo and Alex would normally have that coverage and both would struggle to defend McCullar and Adams in the paint. Marquette won by stealing everything in sight and contesting every pass. Curious to see if we try to aggressively deny McCullar the ball and make others beat us.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
  • Dickenson vs Clingan is a wash. DC much better on D, Hunter on O. Johnson is better than Parker Braun. Hunter needs to pull DC out because KU can't score worth a damn from outside. They need guys going to the rim. DC will try to score inside where Hunter has to avoid fouling because the drop-off to Braun is huge.
  • Harris is very quick and a good shooter (think Diarra with better passing and an outside shot), Newton is much bigger, stronger and can score in the paint. Neither coach probably wants either of these guys defending the other very often. Look for Solo/Diarra to take Harris and Newton to take McCullar.
  • McCullar has been KU's best player. Scores all over the court and defends and rebounds really well. Has a big size advantage with Castle out, hence why we may see Newton on him. Solo isn't a threat to do much of anything, which is why I think McCullar defends Newton as well. Solo could bully ball Harris a bit in the paint, but may also get stripped.
  • Adams and Karaban is fascinating. Adams is vey quick, strong and a phenomenal leaper (think a shorter Samson). Can't shoot at all. But he scores on cuts, lobs and put-backs. Very tough for Alex to defend, he has to avoid fouls. Alex is an offensive juggernaut and he may be bothered a little by Adams vertical leaping and quickness, but he is a bit bigger. Off the ball movement is key for Alex. KU also plays a freshman from Australia at the 4 for more shooting.
  • Spencer is light years better than Elmarko Jackson or Timberlake right now, neither of whom are shooting well. It's perfect for us, because he's dangerous as hell and neither of those guys are, so his defensive limitations won't matter much. Could be a big night for him. If he's going off, KU will switch McCullar to him and Newton will need to take advantage.
Pretty interesting chess match for the coaches really. KU is going to need Harris to score more than he has given that they get almost nothing at SG. UConn is much more balanced offensively and can hurt you from every spot on the floor except SF, which is unfortunately the spot where KU is best. I am a little concerned about our rim protection if Clingan is pulled outside, Solo and Alex would normally have that coverage and both would struggle to defend McCullar and Adams in the paint. Marquette won by stealing everything in sight and contesting every pass. Curious to see if we try to aggressively deny McCullar the ball and make others beat us.
Nice analysis.
Again, I disagree with the Adams matchup being extremely tough for Karaban. Obviously Adams is very athletic but he’s very one dimensional. He wont score from anywhere other than at the rim and won’t create his own offense of the dribble. All the 4s that have given him fits are guys that have been able to shoot and get shoulders past him off the bounce, eg hopkins, the guy from Indiana. If he plays good positional defense he should be fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nice analysis.
Again, I disagree with the Adams matchup being extremely tough for Karaban. Obviously Adams is very athletic but he’s very one dimensional. He wont score from anywhere other than at the rim and won’t create his own offense of the dribble. All the 4s that have given him fits are guys that have been able to shoot and get shoulders past him off the bounce, eg hopkins, the guy from Indiana. If he plays good positional defense he should be fine.
Ok. If you say so. He's shooting like 72% from the floor. He is not the most dangerous guy on the team, far from it, but I don't like the matchup on our defensive side when Donovan or Johnson isn't in the paint.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know what to think of our chances on the road vs Kansas after last night. I'd say we could squeak out a win vs Purdue on their court even with the poor shooting, but Kansas at Phog is a different beast. Hope the 3s start dropping for Alex and Newt.

Also, other than Samson and Diarra, just haven't seen much of anything from the bench. Granted they're mostly all frosh, but you'd hope that a half dozen games in we'd have seen something.

I expect a great game plan. Question will be can we execute when given the open looks.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Ok. If you say so. He's shooting like 72% from the floor. He is not the most dangerous guy on the team, far from it, but I don't like the matchup on our defensive side when Donovan or Johnson isn't in the paint.

Yeah the fact he shoots 72% is the point. He scores on cuts to the rim and lobs and is not a threat outside of 5 ft. He has a very simple offensive game. I’m not saying he’s bad. He does what he does well, but what he does is not what has given Karaban problems historically.

Reaction Score

I though I heard news Castle would be ready to play against Kansas.

Reaction Score
Attack Dickinson and it takes stress off of our bigs. Put him in foul trouble like everybody is already apparently condemning our bigs to.

Reaction Score
Dickenson is experienced and savvy enough to stay out of foul trouble. That along with the home court influence on refs will impact how the bigs battle each other. We complain about lacking depth in the front court, but Kansas has nothing after Dickenson except the Santa Clara transfer Braun who has played about 11 minutes a game.

UConn will really miss Castle on the defensive end against Kansas. McCullar at 6'7" is a big guard and Castle would be the guy to match up against him. This is where Hurley has to make some decisions. I lean toward keeping Newton on Harris and using Newton's height to disrupt the smaller PG. That puts Ball on McCullar which is not a good matchup. Depending on how the game is going you could see a bunch different matchups on McCullar, including Stewart and/or Ross.

In short, Kansas is a bigger and stronger team that UConn has faced. Hitting the 3s and limiting 2nd chance points will be key.

Matchups -

Dickenson - Clingan & Sampson
K.J Adams - Karaban
Harris - Newton & Diarra
McCullar - Ball/Newton/Diarra
Jackson - Spencer/Ball

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Dickinson is sluggish but he’s large and gets himself into space nicely.

Kind of worried about Adams more at the 4.

Foul trouble and the crowd are my biggest concern. Will the team be able to handle the crowd and can we keep our cool? We know they’re going to chirp bc they’ll have the home crowd and whistle

Reaction Score
Well, the last time we played at Kansas it was Greg Ostertag (7'2"), Raef Lafrenze (6'11"), and Scot Pollard (6'10")...a bunch of skyscrapers in the paint. Jaques Vaughn was a small pesty point guard (6'0"). Ugly loss.

Hopefully, we get some payback to avenge that horrible final score 88-59. And should've beaten them in the rematch 2 years later at Gampel but losing our two key players (Kirk King and Ricky Moore) spoiled that opportunity. Still, we nearly won that game without them and lost that game by only point. Ah, the memories.....I miss the 90's.....

Nonetheless, I think our current roster will be much better than it was back in 1995. Win or lose, this game against the Jayhawks should be by about 10 points or less.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Allen Fieldhouse capacity 16,300

Only lost 17 home games under Self.

Reaction Score
Well, the last time we played at Kansas it was Greg Ostertag (7'2"), Raef Lafrenze (6'11"), and Scot Pollard (6'10")...a bunch of skyscrapers in the paint. Jaques Vaughn was a small pesty point guard (6'0"). Ugly loss.

Hopefully, we get some payback to avenge that horrible final score 88-59. And should've beaten them in the rematch 2 years later at Gampel but losing our two key players (Kirk King and Ricky Moore) spoiled that opportunity. Still, we nearly won that game without them and lost that game by only point. Ah, the memories.....I miss the 90's.....

Nonetheless, I think our current roster will be much better than it was back in 1995. Win or lose, this game against the Jayhawks should be by about 10 points or less.
One thing to add, is our 1995 was very good, but I think this years team has a better frontcourt to handle the Kansas bigs. But that 1995 backcourt of Ray Allen, Kevin Ollie, and Brian Fair was top notch.

Reaction Score

Hartford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom