Kansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kansas

Reaction Score
Foul trouble and the crowd are my biggest concern. Will the team be able to handle the crowd and can we keep our cool? We know they’re going to chirp bc they’ll have the home crowd and whistle

The freshmen might feel it but the rest of these dudes have played in a final four in front of 70k people - they're not going to get rattled by a random December crowd. Newton looked like his pulse was about 60 when he was closing out SDSU when the stakes were much, much higher.

I suppose it's entirely possible that they the bed a la Marcus Williams's return when Steve Novak bent them over but I don't see it with this bunch. They might lose, but I don't think it'd be because they weren't composed. We have some battle-tested dudes on this team. Count me among those that think a sluggish effort against NH isn't the worst thing that could have happened in the lead up to this one. At the risk of regretting this statement on Saturday morning, these guys generally come to play and I expect them to be dialed in. They won't be throwing up a bunch of crap like they were in that Marquette beating in '06.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Kansas has opened up some breathing room, but only up 8 against Eastern Illinois.

Reaction Score
Kansas closed as 38.5 point favorites over #323 Eastern Illinois, and the game has been as close as 2 in the 2nd half. Right now 8 with 8 minutes left.

We're not the only ones not exactly shining heading into Friday's game.

Kansas is getting outrebounded by Eastern Illinois at the moment. EIU is like 150th in rebounding. Could be a big advantage for us.

caw

Reaction Score
I think this Kansas game is showing just how impressive UConn's 10+ point game streak is. Eastern Illinois is 344 on Kenpom right now and within two possessions with 8 to go. And yes I know Kenpom isn't really helpful right now but they are also 3-4 with losses by nearly thirty to Illinois and Loyola Chicago and about ten to Illinois St and Miami...OH

Reaction Score
Kansas closed as 38.5 point favorites over #323 Eastern Illinois, and the game has been as close as 2 in the 2nd half. Right now 8 with 8 minutes left.

Kansas is getting outrebounded by Eastern Illinois at the moment. EIU is like 150th in rebounding. Could be a big advantage for us.
We were ice cold from deep, down a starter, refs all had cabins in the White Mountains and we still won by 20.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the Vegas line will be after this game.

You have to think they'll give UConn 3 points.

Reaction Score
Ends up winning by 8.

Dickinson has that turning post catch instant fingertip impossible angle layup that's a very interesting shot. Impossible to defend if you let him get to his spot.

Reaction Score

Kansas has not struck me as a high effort team in the couple games I’ve watched. Getting beat to rebounds pretty consistently tonight by smaller and way less athletic guys. Going to be an interesting game on Friday. I’m sure Self isn’t going to be happy after this one.

Reaction Score
Ends up winning by 8.

Dickinson has that turning post catch instant fingertip impossible angle layup that's a very interesting shot. Impossible to defend if you let him get to his spot.
He was much more aggressive at getting post position when it got close in the second half. Through most of the rest of the game, he seemed pretty uninterested in fighting for that deep position. In very curious to see what Self does with Dickinson offensively on Friday.

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about Eastern Illinois but they out rebounded Kansas with a starting lineup that the ESPN boxscore says is three guards, 2 forwards and no centers. I hope UConn kills them on the boards.

Reaction Score
Who knows based on their play so far including tonight, but I expect a locked in, fired up team of JayHawks spurred on by fans and supported by “refs” to be very ready for the Huskies game! I would be careful underestimating them. Should be an interesting battle!

Reaction Score
UConn's starting 5, with Castle, is able to beat anyone, anywhere. But when it comes to poor officiating and crowds, the only answer is to have a deep and capable bench. As others have pointed out (and with Castle questionable), our bench and depth are yet to be vetted. We will need our bench to come through for us to win.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah the fact he shoots 72% is the point. He scores on cuts to the rim and lobs and is not a threat outside of 5 ft. He has a very simple offensive game. I’m not saying he’s bad. He does what he does well, but what he does is not what has given Karaban problems historically.
Stopping anyone inside has given Karaban problems

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about Eastern Illinois but they out rebounded Kansas with a starting lineup that the ESPN boxscore says is three guards, 2 forwards and no centers. I hope UConn kills them on the boards.

KU rebounding is abysmal. Adams should be a big rebounder and he’s not.

Reaction Score
I take nothing from Kansas this game as they are looking ahead just like we did. Glad they didn’t lose because when was last time Kansas lost back to back games at home.

Dickinson doesn’t like to bang I expect him to pull Donovan out. He has a deadly jumper and was 8-12 from 3 prior to this game.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The freshmen might feel it but the rest of these dudes have played in a final four in front of 70k people - they're not going to get rattled by a random December crowd. Newton looked like his pulse was about 60 when he was closing out SDSU when the stakes were much, much higher.

I suppose it's entirely possible that they the bed a la Marcus Williams's return when Steve Novak bent them over but I don't see it with this bunch. They might lose, but I don't think it'd be because they weren't composed. We have some battle-tested dudes on this team. Count me among those that think a sluggish effort against NH isn't the worst thing that could have happened in the lead up to this one. At the risk of regretting this statement on Saturday morning, these guys generally come to play and I expect them to be dialed in. They won't be throwing up a bunch of crap like they were in that Marquette beating in '06.
They will be fine. The place is insanely loud and the rock chalk chant is a bit creepy. UConn likely has the better team. KU offense is struggling. We sucked vs UNH and KU sucked vs Eastern Illinois. Both teams looking to Friday.

Reaction Score
He was much more aggressive at getting post position when it got close in the second half. Through most of the rest of the game, he seemed pretty uninterested in fighting for that deep position. In very curious to see what Self does with Dickinson offensively on Friday.
I'm guessing he has him going right at DC to try to put him in foul trouble right from the get go. And that can mean inside as well as drawing him out to defend the three. DC has to stay composed and not try to make a name for himself with hero plays on defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom