OT: - Kansas Infractions Ruling Tomorrow | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Kansas Infractions Ruling Tomorrow

Reaction Score
It is laughable at the length of time it took to decide, well, not much of anything. Remember, this was supposed to be a signature case in which Adidas bag men were supposedly paying players to go to KU.

The IARP? Gone. Done. Adios. It was decided long ago that the organization would shutter after the last of the cases involving the FBI/SDNY scandal that is now six years old. The NCAA won't tell you, but the IARP was canceled because, ultimately, it was a failure.

Kansas was the last case. The result begged a familiar question that goes along with all major penalties. What was the point? What disincentives to rules breaking were there?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Here's the ruling. In a shocking (to no one) about face by the NCAA, the most egregious violations (Self's FIVE Level I violations) were all downgraded.

"The long-awaited Kansas men’s basketball infractions case ruling is in, and the Jayhawks are walking away unscathed.

In a decision announced Wednesday, the NCAA’s Independent Accountability Review Process (IARP) led to a downgrade in the severity of the five Level I allegations against the program, ultimately judging this a Level II case. The Independent Resolution Panel gave Kansas a three-year probation, with no effect on the program’s postseason status. Head coach Bill Self, who was initially charged with a Level I violation and was suspended for four games last season, was instead charged with a Level III violation and no additional penalties. Assistant coach Kurtis Townsend, who was suspended four games last year as well, also had his charges reduced from Level I to a Level II and a Level III violation, with no additional penalties. Neither coach faces a show-cause order, which could have been applicable for Level I violations."
Mark me grateful to see that UConn escaped any penalty for this.

Reaction Score
Has anyone actually read the decision? I am curious whether there was evidence showing that Self or Kansas violated NCAA rules that was not property considered? Based upon the reports, the Complex Case Unit eliminated the only Level I violation against Self (there were not 5, there was only 1) in the third notice of allegations before the case actually went to the panel for decision, so the independent group charged with investigating and prosecuting the claims against Self did not believe there was sufficient evidence to substantiate a Level I violation.

I get the frustration with the outcome because there is a broad perception amongst College Basketball fans that Self and Kansas have routinely broken the rules, but believing it and proving it are two different things.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Has anyone actually read the decision? I am curious whether there was evidence showing that Self or Kansas violated NCAA rules that was not property considered? Based upon the reports, the Complex Case Unit eliminated the only Level I violation against Self (there were not 5, there was only 1) in the third notice of allegations before the case actually went to the panel for decision, so the independent group charged with investigating and prosecuting the claims against Self did not believe there was sufficient evidence to substantiate a Level I violation.

I get the frustration with the outcome because there is a broad perception amongst College Basketball fans that Self and Kansas have routinely broken the rules, but believing it and proving it are two different things.
We all conveniently forget that for much of our run, fans of other Big East programs insisted that Calhoun was as dirty as they come. NIL puts it all out there anyway now.

Reaction Score
Oh, the horror of the ruling!
They have to return any trophies they won in 2017-18.
That'll make them think twice before cheating again................
I heard they sent the ruling with 2 dozen cupcakes

Reaction Score

Are you serious, they had wiretaps. If this was ucoon, death penalty

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We all conveniently forget that for much of our run, fans of other Big East programs insisted that Calhoun was as dirty as they come. NIL puts it all out there anyway now.
Please don't equate Calhoun to the filth that is Bill Self.

Let's review Self's résumé:

Darnell Jackson becomes Self’s first commit to Kansas as after receiving over $5,000 in improper benefits during his recruitment. Kurtis Townsend hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend’s experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history which landed the school on 3 years probation.

Departing players receive customary graduation checks from appreciative boosters. Team sets off on illegally organized barnstorming tour where they receive the gate money to supplement their income. Kurtis Townsend hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend’s experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history which landed the school on 3 years probation.

In June, Kansas athletic department receives anonymous tip regarding improprieties centering around J.R. Giddens and NCAA recruiting violations.

Kansas announces that it also discovered that its basketball staff had traditionally engaged in a practice of allowing monetary payments to graduating players and other Jayhawk players who had exhausted their eligibility by boosters in violation of NCAA rules. A self-imposed two year probation is levied against their athletic department. Other sanctions are levied against women’s basketball and men’s football. Curiously, men’s basketball escapes all (self-imposed) punishment.

Darnell Jackson ruled ineligible by NCAA Eligibility Committee for 9 games for receipt of $5,000 in benefits from a Kansas booster over a three year period while being recruited by Kansas.

Reports surface regarding NCAA investigation into potential violations involving Kansas freshman Brandon Rush. The potential violations centered around Rush’s involvement with an agent and possible payment of travel expenses by NBA teams the previous summer during Rush’s workouts with the teams.

The NCAA suspends Brandon Rush after the NCAA determined that he had improperly received benefits from an agent after applying for the 2005 NBA draft.

Kansas placed on probation for major violations across multiple sports and for Lack of Institutional Control. The selection is the 5th for the KU’s men’s team, no other men’s basketball team in history has more NCAA probations. Kansas is charged with:
  • Illegal payments given to potential recruit in excess of $5,000
  • Tickets illegally given to recruits to sit behind the bench at NCAA tournament games
  • Money funneled to current student athletes through illegal barnstorming gate money
  • Illegal payments given to players after eligibility is exhausted with approval of the coaching staff through a network of alumni
  • Providing illegal transportation to recruits
  • Providing illegal clothing and other benefits to recruits
  • Providing illegal transportation to family members of recruits
  • Making special arrangements to facilitate a vehicle for family members of recruits
  • Failure to report violations
  • Failure to employ a compliance auditor
  • Negligence to provide adequate oversight
  • Violation of probationary period and deemed a Repeat Offender Lack of Institutional Control. NCAA hands out punishment of three years probation.
Brandon Rush arrested for failing to appear in court. The hearing is ultimately delayed until after the basketball season so that his on court production is unaffected.

Sherron Collins is accused of sexually assaulting a woman in an elevator. The authorities and coaching staff are made aware of the incident. A judge rules in favor of the women Sherron Collins sexually assaulted in an elevator in May of 2007, granting damagers in excess of $75,000. Despite the incident occurring roughly a year earlier, it is the first time the case is made public, allowing Collins to participate in the entire 2007-08 season without missing any playing time.

Reports surface that Darell Arthur, KU’s leading scorer in the championship game, did not legitimately graduate from high school and passed through the NCAA clearinghouse by submitting fraudulent transcripts. The school district that provided fraudulent transcripts for Darell Arthur for passing grades in classes not attended and work not done conducts and internal investigation on itself. Surprisingly, they find themselves not guilty.

It becomes apparent that key recruits the Morris twins are not going to qualify academically. Faced with the proposition of having only 1 player on the roster over 6’7, Self arranges for the Morris twins to finish up their high school classes in Lawrence.

During a ‘no contact period’ as defined by NCAA rules, Self pays a visit to the #1 unsigned recruit in the nation John Wall, and states in front of witnesses:
Self: "I'm not supposed to be talking to you, and you know that, but I just wanted to tell you that was a great win." Demonstrating quite the bravado and respect for NCAA regulations for someone piloting a program on serious probation.

Confirmation comes in the Darell Arthur case, that his grades were artificially changed and that his ‘graduation’ from high school wasn’t legit. His high school vacates their state championship for using ineligible players. KU never sanctioned.

Markieff Morris is the driver in a two car accident. Neither himself nor the 16 year old female he is transporting are injured, but the car is registered to former NBA and ku player Scott Pollard. With only 4 days remaining on their probationary period, another potential violation is uncovered if a booster is providing improper transportation benefits to a student athlete. As the incident is being reported, Pollard himself calls up in an attempt to intimidate the host into an apology and instead engages the host in a shouting match and is informed he “is a badass.” Pollard explains he ‘sold’ the car to Morris’s teammate Tyshawn Taylor and was unaware of the accident even though he is still listed as the vehicle’s owner and claims he took the car’s license plates off at the date of the sale.

2010-11
IRS and Federal Investigators are looking into illegal practices within the KU ticket office, involving Lew Perkins. KU issues its own self report on the ticket scandal. For a period of at least 8 years approximately 4,000 to 6,000 basketball tickets per year were being improperly distributed, which equates to as many as 300 tickets per game. The KC Star exposes that in addition to his other examples of gross negligence and abuses of power Lew Perkins has been billing obscene amounts of travel expenses back to ku alumni and taxpayers due to his personal view of self importance. He charged the athletic department more than $150,000 from July 2008 to May 2010 for 22 flights on university-owned and leased planes, at times for such vital trips as visiting relatives or picking up his dog.

Reporter notes that Josh Selby drives a light blue Mercedes Benz eventually discovered to belong to Adidas representative Scottie Bowen. NCAA determines that he received $4,607.58 in improper benefits which include clothes, transportation, meals and lodging for Selby and his family. The NCAA suspends him for 9 regular season games of his freshman year, citing a rule that impermissible benefits in excess of $1,000 equates to a 30% of games suspension. The impermissible benefits total nearly $1,000 less in value than what was uncovered in Darnell Jackson’s ultimate 9 game suspension, and only about $4,200 more than what was uncovered in 2004 investigation that led to 3 years of probation and an off campus recruiting ban. Despite being cleared academically on Sept 7th, Selby elects to not attend classes until October 27th. Despite missing basically half of the first semester, he obtains a 3.0 GPA.

Sophomore point guard Elijah Johnson is arrested for neglecting to pay parking tickets. The incident stemmed from several months prior, and Johnson was falsely under the belief that societal norms did not apply to him while he still retained eligibility. He played in KU’s game the next day and will not face team discipline. "He hasn't done anything wrong," Self said of his arrested player.

Less than one month after his arrest for battery and criminal trespassing and damage, Mario Little is re-instated to the basketball team.

I really need to update this for the last dozen years, but frankly the guy just disgusts me so much I can't bring myself to do it. The whole reason I put this together was for people casually comparing the great Jim Calhoun to the other dregs of humanity that is Bill Self. You're a good poster, but don't make the comparison again.

Reaction Score
Lol it looks like they were solid citizens in 2007 so they have THAT going for them.

You have Townsend getting hired twice in 2003 and 2004.

Great summary, but I felt slimy reading it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
@CL82 Heres an update

Bill Self (The Rug Doctor!) puts together a team of AA's every year!

That's "All-Assault" of course, with special points for battering women, though permanently damaging another human through violence will also get you considered.

While there was lots of competition, here's my "Felonious First Five."

Point Guard: Arterio Morris. It is hard to argue against the selection of a guy already charged with punching out a woman WHEN SELF RECRUITED HIM -- a charge he recently pleaded guilty to. The deal was clinched when he became an accused rapist at Kansas.

Shooting Guard: LaGerald Vick. An investigation by Kansas University confirmed that he punched a woman. Of course, that did not stop Self from playing him. Also suspected of being one of five players accused of a sexual assault in a dorm room that got swept under the toupee.

Forward: Josh Jackson. This is a lifetime achievement award. After being one of five Jailhawks linked to the sexual assault in a dorm, he was accused by a female basketball player of threatening to 'smash her face' then was charged in an unrelated leaving the scene of an accident. Since leaving Kansas, he's been charged with assaulting a cop, getting a FIVE-MONTH OLD girl high by smoking so much marijuana in her presence she became disoriented, and hit with allegations, including one in which civil charges were filed in August depicting a brutal attack.

Forward: Carlton Bragg. Shortly after a woman accused him of assaulting her, Self decided no punishment was in order. Shortly after that, he was busted on drug charges. His behavior became so embarrassing that even Kansas couldn't look the other way, and he was forced to transfer. At New Mexico, he was swiftly charged in another sex assault case, and ultimately kicked off the team after being busted for DUI and drug charges.

Center: Silvo DeSousa. Immortalized in the classic photo of him smashing a chair over a defenseless opponent during a game, DeSousa's real claim to fame was knocking a man's eye out when the guy tried to stop DeSousa from harassing a woman outside a bar.

There are several other Bill Self recruits who could challenge for a place on this team, but this is my personal selection of his AA Squad.

And Jailhawk fans wonder why the NCAA charged him with loss of institutional control -- of course that mostly had to do with his proven lying and cheating.

Reaction Score
@CL82 Heres an update

That's "All-Assault" of course, with special points for battering women, though permanently damaging another human through violence will also get you considered.

Point Guard: Arterio Morris. It is hard to argue against the selection of a guy already charged with punching out a woman WHEN SELF RECRUITED HIM -- a charge he recently pleaded guilty to. The deal was clinched when he became an accused rapist at Kansas.

Shooting Guard: LaGerald Vick. An investigation by Kansas University confirmed that he punched a woman. Of course, that did not stop Self from playing him. Also suspected of being one of five players accused of a sexual assault in a dorm room that got swept under the toupee.

Forward: Josh Jackson. This is a lifetime achievement award. After being one of five Jailhawks linked to the sexual assault in a dorm, he was accused by a female basketball player of threatening to 'smash her face' then was charged in an unrelated leaving the scene of an accident. Since leaving Kansas, he's been charged with assaulting a cop, getting a FIVE-MONTH OLD girl high by smoking so much marijuana in her presence she became disoriented, and hit with allegations, including one in which civil charges were filed in August depicting a brutal attack.

Forward: Carlton Bragg. Shortly after a woman accused him of assaulting her, Self decided no punishment was in order. Shortly after that, he was busted on drug charges. His behavior became so embarrassing that even Kansas couldn't look the other way, and he was forced to transfer. At New Mexico, he was swiftly charged in another sex assault case, and ultimately kicked off the team after being busted for DUI and drug charges.

Center: Silvo DeSousa. Immortalized in the classic photo of him smashing a chair over a defenseless opponent during a game, DeSousa's real claim to fame was knocking a man's eye out when the guy tried to stop DeSousa from harassing a woman outside a bar.

There are several other Bill Self recruits who could challenge for a place on this team, but this is my personal selection of his AA Squad.

And Jailhawk fans wonder why the NCAA charged him with loss of institutional control -- of course that mostly had to do with his proven lying and cheating.
Love Jailhawk, Ha!

CL82

Reaction Score
@CL82 Heres an update

Thanks August! Add the years and I'll tack it on.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thats the beauty of it. It's EVERY year!
Certainly self is nothing if not consistent, but that also what makes keeping the list up-to-date a pain in the ass. There is just so much material to document.

In any event, if you have the years I'll throw it in there.

CL82

Reaction Score
OK, I have been motivated to try to update this. I think that the only way I'll do it is in small installments. I added 2011 - 2012 below. If anyone wants to go take a look and summarize a year, feel free to post it and I'll add it to the master list.

Darnell Jackson becomes Self’s first commit to Kansas as after receiving over $5,000 in improper benefits during his recruitment. Kurtis Townsend hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend’s experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history which landed the school on 3 years probation.

Departing players receive customary graduation checks from appreciative boosters. Team sets off on illegally organized barnstorming tour where they receive the gate money to supplement their income. Kurtis Townsend hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend’s experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history which landed the school on 3 years probation.

In June, Kansas athletic department receives anonymous tip regarding improprieties centering around J.R. Giddens and NCAA recruiting violations.

Kansas announces that it also discovered that its basketball staff had traditionally engaged in a practice of allowing monetary payments to graduating players and other Jayhawk players who had exhausted their eligibility by boosters in violation of NCAA rules. A self-imposed two year probation is levied against their athletic department. Other sanctions are levied against women’s basketball and men’s football. Curiously, men’s basketball escapes all (self-imposed) punishment.

Darnell Jackson ruled ineligible by NCAA Eligibility Committee for 9 games for receipt of $5,000 in benefits from a Kansas booster over a three year period while being recruited by Kansas.

Reports surface regarding NCAA investigation into potential violations involving Kansas freshman Brandon Rush. The potential violations centered around Rush’s involvement with an agent and possible payment of travel expenses by NBA teams the previous summer during Rush’s workouts with the teams.

The NCAA suspends Brandon Rush after the NCAA determined that he had improperly received benefits from an agent after applying for the 2005 NBA draft.

Kansas placed on probation for major violations across multiple sports and for Lack of Institutional Control. The selection is the 5th for the KU’s men’s team, no other men’s basketball team in history has more NCAA probations. Kansas is charged with:
  • Illegal payments given to potential recruit in excess of $5,000
  • Tickets illegally given to recruits to sit behind the bench at NCAA tournament games
  • Money funneled to current student athletes through illegal barnstorming gate money
  • Illegal payments given to players after eligibility is exhausted with approval of the coaching staff through a network of alumni
  • Providing illegal transportation to recruits
  • Providing illegal clothing and other benefits to recruits
  • Providing illegal transportation to family members of recruits
  • Making special arrangements to facilitate a vehicle for family members of recruits
  • Failure to report violations
  • Failure to employ a compliance auditor
  • Negligence to provide adequate oversight
  • Violation of probationary period and deemed a Repeat Offender Lack of Institutional Control. NCAA hands out punishment of three years probation.
Brandon Rush arrested for failing to appear in court. The hearing is ultimately delayed until after the basketball season so that his on court production is unaffected.

Sherron Collins is accused of sexually assaulting a woman in an elevator. The authorities and coaching staff are made aware of the incident. A judge rules in favor of the women Sherron Collins sexually assaulted in an elevator in May of 2007, granting damagers in excess of $75,000. Despite the incident occurring roughly a year earlier, it is the first time the case is made public, allowing Collins to participate in the entire 2007-08 season without missing any playing time.

Reports surface that Darell Arthur, KU’s leading scorer in the championship game, did not legitimately graduate from high school and passed through the NCAA clearinghouse by submitting fraudulent transcripts. The school district that provided fraudulent transcripts for Darell Arthur for passing grades in classes not attended and work not done conducts and internal investigation on itself. Surprisingly, they find themselves not guilty.

It becomes apparent that key recruits the Morris twins are not going to qualify academically. Faced with the proposition of having only 1 player on the roster over 6’7, Self arranges for the Morris twins to finish up their high school classes in Lawrence.

During a ‘no contact period’ as defined by NCAA rules, Self pays a visit to the #1 unsigned recruit in the nation John Wall, and states in front of witnesses:
Self: "I'm not supposed to be talking to you, and you know that, but I just wanted to tell you that was a great win." Demonstrating quite the bravado and respect for NCAA regulations for someone piloting a program on serious probation.

Confirmation comes in the Darell Arthur case, that his grades were artificially changed and that his ‘graduation’ from high school wasn’t legit. His high school vacates their state championship for using ineligible players. KU never sanctioned.

Markieff Morris is the driver in a two car accident. Neither himself nor the 16 year old female he is transporting are injured, but the car is registered to former NBA and ku player Scott Pollard. With only 4 days remaining on their probationary period, another potential violation is uncovered if a booster is providing improper transportation benefits to a student athlete. As the incident is being reported, Pollard himself calls up in an attempt to intimidate the host into an apology and instead engages the host in a shouting match and is informed he “is a badass.” Pollard explains he ‘sold’ the car to Morris’s teammate Tyshawn Taylor and was unaware of the accident even though he is still listed as the vehicle’s owner and claims he took the car’s license plates off at the date of the sale.

2010-11
IRS and Federal Investigators are looking into illegal practices within the KU ticket office, involving Lew Perkins. KU issues its own self report on the ticket scandal. For a period of at least 8 years approximately 4,000 to 6,000 basketball tickets per year were being improperly distributed, which equates to as many as 300 tickets per game. The KC Star exposes that in addition to his other examples of gross negligence and abuses of power Lew Perkins has been billing obscene amounts of travel expenses back to ku alumni and taxpayers due to his personal view of self importance. He charged the athletic department more than $150,000 from July 2008 to May 2010 for 22 flights on university-owned and leased planes, at times for such vital trips as visiting relatives or picking up his dog.

Reporter notes that Josh Selby drives a light blue Mercedes Benz eventually discovered to belong to Adidas representative Scottie Bowen. NCAA determines that he received $4,607.58 in improper benefits which include clothes, transportation, meals and lodging for Selby and his family. The NCAA suspends him for 9 regular season games of his freshman year, citing a rule that impermissible benefits in excess of $1,000 equates to a 30% of games suspension. The impermissible benefits total nearly $1,000 less in value than what was uncovered in Darnell Jackson’s ultimate 9 game suspension, and only about $4,200 more than what was uncovered in 2004 investigation that led to 3 years of probation and an off campus recruiting ban. Despite being cleared academically on Sept 7th, Selby elects to not attend classes until October 27th. Despite missing basically half of the first semester, he obtains a 3.0 GPA.

Sophomore point guard Elijah Johnson is arrested for neglecting to pay parking tickets. The incident stemmed from several months prior, and Johnson was falsely under the belief that societal norms did not apply to him while he still retained eligibility. He played in KU’s game the next day and will not face team discipline. "He hasn't done anything wrong," Self said of his arrested player.

Less than one month after his arrest for battery and criminal trespassing and damage, Mario Little is re-instated to the basketball team

2011-12
Senior Tyshawn Taylor suspended for the exhibition season along with teammate Elijah Johnson for violation of team rules. Kansas opens the exhibition season with only 5 available scholarship players. Self claims that holding the player out of two exhibition games was a "severe punishment." Note that Taylor and Johnson served suspensions the prior year as well and missed games.

Ineligible freshman Ben McLemore arrested for failure to appear in court for possession charges.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This isn't going great for @HuskyHawk
It’s going fine. People can bloviate all the they want. Doesn’t matter. No significant penalties or findings and so it’s just noise. Which was my point about Calhoun, when I heard so many claiming he was dirty all those years. Noise.

Reaction Score
It’s going fine. People can bloviate all the they want. Doesn’t matter. No significant penalties or findings and so it’s just noise. Which was my point about Calhoun, when I heard so many claiming he was dirty all those years. Noise.

It’s not just noise with Self HH. He’s slime and they have proof but just won’t do it to Kansas for whatever reason. NCAA at its finest!

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Take your Bill Self=Jim Calhoun garbage to the JailHawk board.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm just calling bull.sh.it and on that false equivalency. Bill Self may be the most corrupt coach ever in basketball, and that's saying a lot. When you equate him to Calhoun you, effectively, say Calhouns the same thing. That's just wrong.

Name a single thing in the list I posted that's false. When you can't do that, then you you are effectively endorsing that behavior. It's fine for you to turn a blind eye to that as a fan, if that's what you want to do, but don't come here and say that it's just noise. You know that's not true. We know that's not true. Really just say that you don't give a crap that Kansas has the dirtiest coach ever in basketball. At least that would be honest.

And definitely, stop equating that utter piece of crap with Calhoun. Calhoun deserves better.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Re-create the Calhoun version of the post immediately before yours. Actually, don't because it isn't possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom