Kansas - Florida | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kansas - Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Big win for Florida. Should help boost our RPI or whatever you rank us by.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Florida win is going to look really, really good at year end.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
No worries everyone. FL next game is against Memphis so we can go back to rooting against them for at least 1 game.

Reaction Score
The win was due to the fact that Self cannot coach these guys. They have a world of talent but seem to be on a different page than the coach. Fl has good players and the beast in the middle, and they listen to Billy the Kid. We beat Fl. and that's good, but don't forget they lost their pg in the second half. He can play. Too early to worry about wins, but it's nice to see those above us lose as we move up. March is the final analysis of whether your season is successful. We are looking good, but we need to board much much better.

Reaction Score
I never understood people chanting "overrated" when they're crushing a ranked team if they are also a ranked team. You're downplaying yourself if you're saying "you guys suck".

That sounds Villanova-esk.
I will forget when they were #2 and we were #1, and their loser fans stormed the court when they beat us. Oddlots

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The win was due to the fact that Self cannot coach these guys. They have a world of talent but seem to be on a different page than the coach. Fl has good players and the beast in the middle, and they listen to Billy the Kid. We beat Fl. and that's good, but don't forget they lost their pg in the second half. He can play. Too early to worry about wins, but it's nice to see those above us lose as we move up. March is the final analysis of whether your season is successful. We are looking good, but we need to board much much better.

They lost their pg with 2 min and 30 seconds left in the game. Granted that's when bazz did a lot of damage, but let's not overstate their disadvantage.

Reaction Score
They lost their pg with 2 min and 30 seconds left in the game. Granted that's when bazz did a lot of damage, but let's not overstate their disadvantage.

Yes, and after Wilbekin went down, this is what Florida did:

Patrick Young 2: 57-57
Brimah 1-2 FTs: UConn 58-57
Patrick Young tip shot: Florida 59-58
Kromah 1-2 free throws: 59-59
Patrick Young 2 and foul, hits FT: Florida 62-59
Bazz 3 pt'er from DEEP & foul: UConn 63-62
Frazier drives and layup: Florida 64-63
Bazz hits at buzzer: UConn 64-65

So, at best you can argue that Wilbekin is a better defender than Frazier, and would have been more effective against Bazz, because after Wilbekin went down, Frazier guarded Bazz and Prather guarded the 2. But on the offensive side, Florida scored every time down without Wilbekin. They were losing by 2 when Wlibekin went down. Young then scored 7 points in a row and Frazier hit a layup. Florida scored 9 points under the 3 minute mark.

Reaction Score

I think Self has enough on his resume to not say something like that. The problem with Kansas right now is that they are scary young. We lost something like 90% of our scoring off of last years team. I think Kansas will get it figured out, but right now you are seeing the growing pains.

Reaction Score
I think Self has enough on his resume to not say something like that. The problem with Kansas right now is that they are scary young. We lost something like 90% of our scoring off of last years team. I think Kansas will get it figured out, but right now you are seeing the growing pains.
I largely agree with you, although I think a coach, even a great one, can lose an individual team. Even Calhoun did. But I think it's far too early in the year to suggest that Self has lost them.

Reaction Score
I would rather have a win over Pacific. Their RPI is higher than FL and I'm sure that is all you need to make a judgement.
Computer wise you're right. But logically (i.e. humanly) I think the Florida win counts more.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Computer wise you're right. But logically (i.e. humanly) I think the Florida win counts more.

I have been assured by nelsonmuntz that even Nov RPI numbers are enough to evaluate programs and conferences.

I just find it hard to believe that he would post something like that without being absolutely sure all the numbers were solid.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I have been assured by nelsonmuntz that even Nov RPI numbers are enough to evaluate programs and conferences.

I just find it hard to believe that he would post something like that without being absolutely sure all the numbers were solid.
Mid January is when RPI starts making sense. As examples:
Brigham Young at 6-3 is number 8 (two spots above UConn)
Kansas at 6-3 is number 2
UMass is number 1 (clear top 20, but probably not the best team in the country right now)

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Mid January is when RPI starts making sense. As examples:
Brigham Young at 6-3 is number 8 (two spots above UConn)
Kansas at 6-3 is number 2
UMass is number 1 (clear top 20, but probably not the best team in the country right now)

Are you suggesting the nelsonmuntz could be wrong?

huh. I've never considered that before.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
tzznandrew said:
I largely agree with you, although I think a coach, even a great one, can lose an individual team. Even Calhoun did. But I think it's far too early in the year to suggest that Self has lost them.

Good poin Andrew. Yeah the 11-12 huskies were a hot mess. Hated seeing Jc, who I love only second to my immediate family, go out on what was without a doubt his worst season at uconn. We were loaded and he never could push the right buttons to get that team to play together.

Reaction Score
Good poin Andrew. Yeah the 11-12 huskies were a hot mess. Hated seeing Jc, who I love only second to my immediate family, go out on what was without a doubt his worst season at uconn. We were loaded and he never could push the right buttons to get that team to play together.

That team had a mumu on it. There's a reason mumus got that name.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting the nelsonmuntz could be wrong?

huh. I've never considered that before.
A little more emphasis:
Brigham Young - no votes in either pole
Kansas at 6-3 at number 2 was number 15 in both poles at 6-2.

Yes, nelsonmntz could actually be wrong.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
A little more emphasis:
Brigham Young - no votes in either pole
Kansas at 6-3 at number 2 was number 15 in both poles at 6-2.

Yes, nelsonmntz could actually be wrong.

So its possible that Stanley Robinson was athletic enough for the BE?

You are blowing my mind.

Reaction Score
The idea of writing off Self is ridiculous, something that ESPN tried to make the case for. These kids are trying to find an identity and getting 21 points rolled on you without scoring is a great motivator for never allowing that to happen again. Kansas will be scary good, as will Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom