Kansas braces for changing consumer climate with ESPN3 deal | The Boneyard

Kansas braces for changing consumer climate with ESPN3 deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...for-changing-consumer-climate-with-espn3-deal

Better to highlight the change instead of hiding from it, KU says.
“That was our thought process,” said Jim Marchiony, Kansas' associate athletic director of external affairs. “This is a growing industry. We want to be at the forefront of that. We're not going to be watching TV 10 years from now the way we are now. This addresses that.”
KU isn't the only one adapting. Talk to the Big Ten Network folks, for example, and they'll pump their BTN2Go project for live streaming and on-video demand. It's another way to build the brand on new platforms. If people don't watch you under traditional deals, you'd rather they go to the websites or apps that you want to promote.

Can someone show me proof either way that we did or did not give up our 3rd tier rights with the new AAC deal starting next year???? I don't think there has been clear answer on this. We've heard things that the AAC deal accomodates for UConn women's SNY deal, what about the men?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
All football and men's basketball games for the AAC are controlled by ESPN. The original press release from the old Big East/new AAC states that all "conference controlled games" (which are all conference games and non-conference home games) will be televised:

http://www.bigeast.org/tabid/435/ar...-East-Signs-Comprehensive-Deal-With-ESPN.aspx

There isn't a complete assignment of all women's basketball games, so UConn (and other AAC schools) retain third tier rights for that sport. That's why UConn's SNY deal isn't impacted.

One note: I've noted several times here about the value of Kansas nationally (with some objections). Believe me - the data points are there. ESPN knows it (hence this new deal), the Big 12 knows it, and the Big Ten knows it.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
One note: I've noted several times here about the value of Kansas nationally (with some objections). Believe me - the data points are there. ESPN knows it (hence this new deal), the Big 12 knows it, and the Big Ten knows it.

I believe our IMG deal is fairly comparable to Kansas' $6 million per year. I can't find the data though.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The AAC raped UConn for women's bb, especially, and men's bb, and football.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/manuel-on-the-big-east-television-deal/

The aac basically gave uconn's wbb home games, and conf away games to espn, unless there are other aac team it plans to broadcast (tongue in cheek)

ESPN has always had first access to women’s basketball games,” Manuel said. “The games they have not shown and produced have gone to SNY. The difference now is (ESPN) has a desire to do more women’s games in the package. They may pick up more games and it still needs to be worked through./ That’s good for us and good for women’s basketball and good for the league.”

This will emasculate uconn's sny deal.

By the way, the aac gave espn its digital rights, too. Thankfully, the anal carnage will only last for a relatively short six years.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
OK then the article above is wrong...

At its core, Kansas' new deal with ESPN3 is under the umbrella of the school's seven-year agreement with IMG worth $6 million annually for its third-tier television, multimedia and advertising rights.

Reaction Score
Actually, you know what - I think you're right. Looks like IMG bought out Host communications later so both links might be the same deal.

It's hard to tell if part of the original $6.5M/year deal was kept when IMG made that second deal f0r $7.2M or if it's all in.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Kansas still may be a separate ESPN Regional deal as we have women's deal with SNY (not part of IMG money).

I believe our men's basketball and football deals with SNY actually got redistributed back to the Big East as part of the larger ESPN deal (even on the prior contract).

Reaction Score
All football and men's basketball games for the AAC are controlled by ESPN. The original press release from the old Big East/new AAC states that all "conference controlled games" (which are all conference games and non-conference home games) will be televised:

http://www.bigeast.org/tabid/435/ar...-East-Signs-Comprehensive-Deal-With-ESPN.aspx

There isn't a complete assignment of all women's basketball games, so UConn (and other AAC schools) retain third tier rights for that sport. That's why UConn's SNY deal isn't impacted.

I never objected to the value of Kansas. I said Uconn is a national brand. Two totally different points.

Reaction Score
Kansas has a separate deal for Third-tier TV so I doubt the IMG contract covers the same rights:

Deal with ESPN : 6.5 million a year
Deal with IMG : 7.2 million a year

http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2010-04-08/ku_inks_86m_deal_with_img
http://www.kuathletics.com/genrel/041607aaa.html

We're all comparing apples and oranges since the IMG deal with UConn didn't cover women's games either. If anyone wanted to actually compare the two, they would have to look at the aggregate.

Reaction Score
Yes, KU has two separate deals. They were actually making more than Texas for multimedia rights prior to the Longhorn Network being formed.

Frank, not flaming just a question here: Are you sure that they have two separate deals? I have seen an influx of contradictory information, including posts on the Kansas board that stated that it was clearly two deals, then later that it was in fact one revenue payment from IMG with a the benefits being incurred under the IMG marketing deal (presumably the revenue going to IMG). Do you have information on this that would clarify or are you just assuming in what you wrote? There is so much noise in these various contracts it is hard to tell what is actually the unique monetization of Kansas brand versus the benefits of their marketing deal.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score

Frank you sound like the Kansas might be holding the cards to CR movement. I agree whole heartedly that they are attractive to the B1G and that the Big 12 better keep them happy, but what would it take for them to move. Just being closer to the end of the GOR doesn't seem enough to me.

Reaction Score
Frank you sound like the Kansas might be holding the cards to CR movement. I agree whole heartedly that they are attractive to the B1G and that the Big 12 better keep them happy, but what would it take for them to move. Just being closer to the end of the GOR doesn't seem enough to me.

The irony of this is that when the SEC and Pac12 were about to split up the B12, Kansas came calling to the BE because they were going to be left out. And the Catholic schools NIXED them!!!!!!! Lol.

Reaction Score

Frank. A follow up question when you're back on the board. I understand the mutual attraction between the KU and B1G but how does it happen especially with respect to KSU? Under what specific circumstance would the Kansas Board of Regents allow KU to the B1G (of course, B1G will not take KSU so something has to be done with KSU)?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Frank. A follow up question when you're back on the board. I understand the mutual attraction between the KU and B1G but how does it happen especially with respect to KSU? Under what specific circumstance would the Kansas Board of Regents allow KU to the B1G (of course, B1G will not take KSU so something has to be done with KSU)?

All things being equal the Regents would prefer they stay together. But if the Big 12 collapses, they won't keep KU from the B1G. Same with OU and OSU if the SEC called as part of a breakup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
All things being equal the Regents would prefer they stay together. But if the Big 12 collapses, they won't keep KU from the B1G. Same with OU and OSU if the SEC called as part of a breakup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see how the Big12 collapses without KU being one of the first pieces to fall.

Seems like to me, UConn's best shot at the B1G would be to go with Kansas as 15/16 when the Big12 GOR winds down.

Reaction Score
I don't see how the Big12 collapses without KU being one of the first pieces to fall.

Seems like to me, UConn's best shot at the B1G would be to go with Kansas as 15/16 when the Big12 GOR winds down.

Easy, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St. to the PAC12.
The B12 still has 6 members left, but they essentially become an AAC type outfit.

Reaction Score
Interesting article.
when these current conference media rights deals expire in the 2020s, new bidders such as Google, Apple or Netflix could send everyone scrambling again.
Do all of the existing GOR's expire around that time? I though the B12 was only 5 or 6 years.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score

Kansas will most likely be tied to Kansas State. And I don't think the B1G could stomach adding K State. Remember, Texas was considering going to the B1G, but only if they could bring Texas Tech with them. And that was a "Tech" problem for them:

Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee sent an e-mail to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany on April 20 saying that he had spoken with Texas President William Powers.
"I did speak with Bill Powers at Texas, who would welcome a call to say they have a 'Tech' problem," Gee wrote in an e-mail that was among several obtained by The Dispatch through a public-records request for documents and correspondence related to Big Ten expansion proposals.
Texas Tech is one of Texas' rivals in the Big 12 conference. Ohio State officials declined a Dispatch request to explain the "Tech" problem.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2010/06/04/e-mails-hint-eyes-are-upon-texas.html

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We keep saying that Kansas is tied to Kansas State - if the Big Ten invites Kansas, I think K State will have to pound sand.

Funny takeaway from that article...Delaney talks about needing to make sure the conference hit 'home runs' in expansion and came away with Rutgers (a bouncer back to the pitcher) and Maryland (a pop-fly). (Given the article's date, you could say that Nebraska was what he was referring to, but still...)

Reaction Score
We keep saying that Kansas is tied to Kansas State - if the Big Ten invites Kansas, I think K State will have to pound sand.

Funny takeaway from that article...Delaney talks about needing to make sure the conference hit 'home runs' in expansion and came away with Rutgers (a bouncer back to the pitcher) and Maryland (a pop-fly). (Given the article's date, you could say that Nebraska was what he was referring to, but still...)

Rutgers was in the right place at the right time. It's fair to critique the wisdom of that move. Maryland, on the other hand, is certainly not a pop fly. Don't let recent on-the-field/court records fool you about Maryland - that's a school that can legitimately deliver its home state and the DC market (which isn't a guarantee for Rutgers or any combo around NYC).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom