Kalbrenner: BE team looking forward to playing "obviously, UConn" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kalbrenner: BE team looking forward to playing "obviously, UConn"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In a recent interview, Creighton's Ryan Kalkbrenner was asked which Big East team he looks forward to playing, and his answer was "obviously, UConn." What he has to say after that is even more interesting. :) Skip to 24:56 to get to it.

l.a. hair GIF by WE tv

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I would be ticked as well if I was him. He outplayed Adama last year. I was surprised Sanogo was named pre season POY
In my book, true winners don't publicly complain that they feel they've been slighted and that they deserved recognition. This shows what Kalkbrenner thinks not only of Sanogo, but of any player in the league besides him who might be considered. Sure, he can feel he deserved it but I think you keep that to yourself. That would be a show of class.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
"It's fun to go against bigs other people say are good.... uh, I don't know about that [meaning he disagrees with other people]."

I didn't listen to the interview so this may be off base, but couldn't that be interpreted as him jokingly saying it's not "fun" playing against tough competition? Not that he thinks Adama isn't good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I didn't listen to the interview so this may be off base, but couldn't that be interpreted as him jokingly saying it's not "fun" playing against tough competition? Not that he thinks Adama isn't good.
No, he pretty much comes out and says he doesn’t think Adama is a good player.

Julia Roberts Shopping GIF by PeacockTV

Reaction Score
My video must be missing where he says Sanogo is not a good player. I read his take is he thinks he’s better than Sanogo but Adama gets all the accolades
Huh? He said "It's fun to go against other bigs that people say are good...I don't know about that" -- which means he disagrees with other people saying Sanogo is good. Clear as day his true feelings. The lack of respect will burn him, I hope.

Reaction Score
Nah, he specifically says it's fun to go against other bigs that people say are good. Then adds the second comment which implies clearly he doesn't think Sanogo is good.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner ripped us apart the last time we played. I’d talk trash if I was him too.

The best way to prove him wrong is to prove him wrong. Sanogo is preseason POY so he needs to go dominate the game against everyone in the conference. Kalkbrenner will be extra motivated to try to stop him.

This will be a fun season.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Love his attitude/confidence.

Agreed. He ate our lunch and that's sports. Psychological edges mean something. Until we stick it back in his face (which we certainly are able to do), he gets to woof.

Reaction Score
Nah, he specifically says it's fun to go against other bigs that people say are good. Then adds the second comment which implies clearly he doesn't think Sanogo is good.
Yea he could have easily said its fun going against other good players...inserting the "people say are good" line shows his true intent

Reaction Score
Fine with the confidence, but also him saying “I don’t know about that” when discussing Adama being a good player is pretty ehhh. Adama had 13-16 on him
Exactly. There is a difference between being cocky/confident (in a good way) and talking trash vs. blatantly disrespecting your opponent.

Reaction Score
I actually love that he can’t wait to play us and is hungry to play Adama. It’s interviews like that which makes the big east awesome! I don’t mind what he said or how he came off. Both bigs are respected around the league.

Reaction Score
You people are ridiculous. Without context, yes, he said that Sanogo is a player that "other people say [is] good" and that "he doesn't know about that" assessment. But it's clear in the context of the discussion that when he is referencing players that "other people say are good," he means players that other people hold to be the best in their position in the Big East. So he's really saying, "Other people think Sanogo is the best big man in the Big East. I Disagree, because I think I'm the best big man in the Big East."

Now, do we want Adama to think Kalkbrenner claims that Adama isn't good? Heck yeah!

Reaction Score
There's a difference between being ticked you didn't win a meaningless personal award vs flat out saying the other guy isn't good. Which he did both...
Post the timestamp where he said Sanago isn't good. I'll wait.

Reaction Score
I think bulletin board material is highly overrated, even problematic as a motivator. Occasionally a really good coach can take the us vs them the world thing to motivate his team, but it is usually not that big a deal. And further, Just what I would want as a coach…my guy trying to do too much to “show that bum I’m better than he is.” I’d say 2 things about this. It’s a fairly vague dis if it is one at all. And by the time UConn and Creighton play nobody will even remember what somebody said in the pre-season. This is a thing fans get all up in arms about. Plafyers not s much.

Reaction Score
In a recent interview, Creighton's Ryan Kalkbrenner was asked which Big East team he looks forward to playing, and his answer was "obviously, UConn." What he has to say after that is even more interesting. :) Skip to 24:56 to get to it.

I want to see Hawk, Samson, Big Don, or Sanogo put him on a poster this year

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kalk doesn't actually think Sanogo isn't good, that would just be stupid. He's either trying to get under Adama's/UConns skin, or it's generic basketball trash talk anyone would be familiar with if they've played or been around basketball. I personally enjoyed the banter.

Reaction Score
My video must be missing where he says Sanogo is not a good player. I read his take is he thinks he’s better than Sanogo but Adama gets all the accolades
??

It's in the video.

"It's fun to go against bigs other people say are good.... uh, I don't know about that"

He's clearly referring to Sanogo

Reaction Score
You really have to listen to it. He pauses for emphasis, and puts in some filler for emphasis. I didn't quote all the confetti in there. But if I had to interpret the "uhs" or whatever, he was saying, "Yeah, right."

Reaction Score
They shut Sanogo down with a double last year . We need a four who can keep them honest and let AS work on him 1v1 .
He might discover why he is picked for POY.
If our guy develops , I suspect he might be looking up at his man at times .

Reaction Score
You people are ridiculous. Without context, yes, he said that Sanogo is a player that "other people say [is] good" and that "he doesn't know about that" assessment. But it's clear in the context of the discussion that when he is referencing players that "other people say are good," he means players that other people hold to be the best in their position in the Big East. So he's really saying, "Other people think Sanogo is the best big man in the Big East. I Disagree, because I think I'm the best big man in the Big East."

Now, do we want Adama to think Kalkbrenner claims that Adama isn't good? Heck yeah!
I really do think you're the one reading into it, not us.

If he would've said your sentence, I'd have no problem with it. In fact, I already said as much when I quoted him. But instead he said "people say he's good."

Reaction Score
I think bulletin board material is highly overrated, even problematic as a motivator. Occasionally a really good coach can take the us vs them the world thing to motivate his team, but it is usually not that big a deal. And further, Just what I would want as a coach…my guy trying to do too much to “show that bum I’m better than he is.” I’d say 2 things about this. It’s a fairly vague dis if it is one at all. And by the time UConn and Creighton play nobody will even remember what somebody said in the pre-season. This is a thing fans get all up in arms about. Plafyers not s much.

I think you're 100% wrong about this. Even NFL pros talk about this stuff, and how using it as motivation improves performance.

Reaction Score
Post the timestamp where he said Sanago isn't good. I'll wait.

26:05. It's not that hard. You can think this kid comes across as a ou ch e ba g or you can meatride for his "confidence." Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom