Kalana Green vs Gabby Williams | The Boneyard

Kalana Green vs Gabby Williams

Reaction Score
i am watching the 08 season and boy do I see a lot of similarities between Gabby and Kalana. They can both jump out the building, guard the other teams best player, quick on their feet. Both played with all-Americans. Green all 4 years. Gabby her first 2. Don't think we saw everything Green could bring like we are seeing with Gabby

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
i am watching the 08 season and boy do I see a lot of similarities between Gabby and Kalana. They can both jump out the building, guard the other teams best player, quick on their feet. Both played with all-Americans. Green all 4 years. Gabby her first 2. Don't think we saw everything Green could bring like we are seeing with Gabby

You must be mistaken. Kalana's coach stated that she "couldn't guard a chair". :p;)

Reaction Score
Didn't Kalana have a severe injury in her sophomore year that affected her athleticism? She came in a superb athlete (similar to Gabby) but lost a bit from that injury, if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction Score
Didn't Kalana have a severe injury in her sophomore year that affected her athleticism? She came in a superb athlete (similar to Gabby) but lost a bit from that injury, if I'm not mistaken.

Yup. Torn her acl and lcl but she could still get up there. And quicker than most

Reaction Score
...or watch 2004 elite 8 and look at Barbara Turner! Both BT and GW are physical phenoms, quick as cats, and matchup nightmares!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I often wondered what happened between high school and college. She has to be the ultimate UCONN role player. In high school she averaged 17 points per game as a freshman; by the time she was a senior, she averaged 28 points, 18 rebounds, nine steals and eight assists per game. Talk about subverting oneself for the good of the team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yup. Torn her acl and lcl but she could still get up there. And quicker than most
She didn't have Gabby's speed though.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Some others who saw KGreene in her pre-injury state will have to confirm, but from what I've read her injury was extremely serious and she was never the same again. This is no slight to what she was afterwards - I loved her game and her intensity - I'm just saying that she sounded darned near unstoppable in some ways prior to the knee. She eventually recovered a certain % but no more.

Gabby has had a very good recovery and is venture to say she's now very close to 100% of what she was physically before the injuries.

Reaction Score
Some others who saw KGreene in her pre-injury state will have to confirm, but from what I've read her injury was extremely serious and she was never the same again. This is no slight to what she was afterwards - I loved her game and her intensity - I'm just saying that she sounded darned near unstoppable in some ways prior to the knee. She eventually recovered a certain % but no more.

Gabby has had a very good recovery and is venture to say she's now very close to 100% of what she was physically before the injuries.
That part about Kalana is how I saw it. She made a great comeback, but probably got to 95% back. She was still an excellent defender in the W, but didn't have some of the explosiveness to the basket she had earlier.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

My memory fails me at times, but I think I recall reading that, when she scrimmaged with the team during a visit, she was called "unguardable."

Yes, K-Bear's injury was more serious than the typical ACL tear.

Kalana's stats were incredible in high school, but her sophomore year stats were very nearly a quadruple-double.

As we know, Kalana is the NCAA record-holder for most games played, 157.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Gabby played with two all-Americans this past season also. So, she has played with all-Americans all three years and probably next season also.

Reaction Score
That part about Kalana is how I saw it. She made a great comeback, but probably got to 95% back. She was still an excellent defender in the W, but didn't have some of the explosiveness to the basket she had earlier.
I didn't see Kalana that much early in her UConn career, being in Florida for the winters back then and not having access to lots of UConn games but from things I read here on the Boneyard, when she returned, she never got anywhere near 95% of regaining the athleticism she had. She adapted and with time, got better in the aftermath but wasn't close to being the athlete that she had been. As has been written here, it seems Gabby has made very close to a 100% recovery from her injury, thankfully.

Reaction Score
Gabby played with two all-Americans this past season also. So, she has played with all-Americans all three years and probably next season also.

True but she was also an all-American. I'm takin nothing away from either. I just wonder if Green didn't play to her full potential because of who she played with

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
True but she was also an all-American. I'm takin nothing away from either. I just wonder if Green didn't play to her full potential because of who she played with
Greene was great as a sophomore, better than Gabby in terms of production, but her injury really slowed her down. She had to make huge adjustments to her game and develop her jump shot. She had a nice run in the WNBA as well playing seven years.
Like Gabby, she needed to learn basketball, having relied primarily on her athleticism through HS and the first year of college.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Greene was great as a sophomore, better than Gabby in terms of production, but her injury really slowed her down. She had to make huge adjustments to her game and develop her jump shot. She had a nice run in the WNBA as well playing seven years.
Like Gabby, she needed to learn basketball, having relied primarily on her athleticism through HS and the first year of college.
What years did she play? I'd like to watch some games she played in during her career.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What years did she play? I'd like to watch some games she played in during her career.
2005-06 was her rookie year, 2007-8 was her red-shirt (injured 8 games in.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If you can find the archive, watch the game against Virginia when we helped them open John Paul Jones arena. Also, the St. John's game at MSG was impressive.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The undefeated UConn team of 2009-10 had the 2 best players in the nation, Tina and Maya. The third leading scorer was Kalana. The guards were Caroline and Tiffany. That unit was possibly the best defensive team ever. They hold the NCAA records for fewest points allowed per game, 46.2, and lowest shooting percentage allowed, 30.0. Kalana was an integral part of that group and spoke about giving up any points only begrudgingly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom