Kaitlyn and Sarah article | The Boneyard

Kaitlyn and Sarah article

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The point guard will replace Mühl in the Huskies’ starting lineup. Not only is Chen also a great defender, like Mühl, but the California native can also score at will and isn’t afraid to create her shot. Chen averaged 15.8 points per game last season along with a career-high 4.9 assists, 1.3 steals and a 48.8 field goal percentage….

Strong, 6-foot-2, averaged 21.0 points, 16.8 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 2.8 steals and 1.8 blocks per game during her senior year in high school. She was a constant threat under the hoop, bodying opponents out of rebounds, yet also shocked defenders with her ability to shoot from deep and make 3-point shots with ease – a skill UConn’s bigs have lacked in recent years. Strong shot 40 percent or better from the arc in 12 of 29 games last year

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's not clear, but that quote from Maggie makes it sound a bit like Chen was recruited to replace Nika in the starting lineup. Obviously things can change, but reading deeper into the comments, maybe the plan is for KK to come off the bench if Kaitlyn is starting.

Of course, Geno will look at everything when things heat up in October, but there has been a ton of debate over who would start (there always is).

Bottom like she sounds like a great kid. Love the comments from Geno mentioning that when they sat down, they talked more about her sister than about Kaitlyn. It wasn't all "me me me" as Geno said - kids coming in saying "this is what i'm going to do" blah blah. Really looking forward to seeing her play!!

As for Strong, even more excited to see her play. Geno's comments recently something like "we knew she was going to be good, we didn't know she's be this good" is music to my ears.

The amount of "new players" we add this coming season is mind boggling. Kids who didn't play last season (for the most part) and new faces. Azzi, Jana, Aubrey, Caroline, Ayanna, Morgan, Allie, Sara, and Kaitlyn. Holy cow - that's 9 "new" players we didn't have for last season when it mattered.

Reaction Score
Based on Coach GA past history I would be very surprised
If any starters from last year will be coming off the bench
I will be curious if GA goes with a four guard lineup(perhaps not as a starting lineup)
Like last year he seemed very comfortable with that lineup and needless to say it was very effective as the team got to the final four
A four guard lineup with Sarah Strong, who has a great three-point range and ball handling skills and the ability to guard. A big inside would allow the use of “five out “offense that the Celtics currently use
I seem to remember Coach GA saying numerous times the problem playing 6 players was that you could only play one way and there was no options when things aren’t going well
I think it’s fair to say that this group of players gives a coach multiple different options
A lot to look
Foward to

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno is subconsciously comparing Kaitlyn with Lou Lopez Senechal in that he has another grad transfer that excelled at their former school and would definitely help the Huskies but ended up starting and being a huge contributer.
I agree with others in that KK is most likely the starting PG on day 1.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno is subconsciously comparing Kaitlyn with Lou Lopez Senechal in that he has another grad transfer that excelled at their former school and would definitely help the Huskies but ended up starting and being a huge contributer.
I agree with others in that KK is most likely the starting PG on day 1.
Taking a position on the starting PG at this point in time is certainly premature and I would guess that if any of our more detailed BYers did a 'tale of the tape', Chen would move to the front of the line.

Reaction Score
I have both feet in the "start when you prove you know the system" school. Kaitlyn has a leg up on learning it, to be sure, but KK is already there. Whatever analytics suggests, KK will start until Kaitlyn wins the job in practice. Same goes for the others. Sarah will push Ice out of the starting lineup only when she shows she knows the system better. And Ash -- she starts until someone shows they can do it better. I remember Q, who had some dazzling moments on offense, but often looked lost on defense. This is what kept her out of the starting lineup. And when she shows Gemo she knows the system as well as Aubrey Ice Ayanna Caroline Morgan Allie or Sarah, she will start and not before. The only one who looks like she doesn't have the same pressure is Jana, since she fills a unique need on this roster.

Reaction Score
I have both feet in the "start when you prove you know the system" school. Kaitlyn has a leg up on learning it, to be sure, but KK is already there. Whatever analytics suggests, KK will start until Kaitlyn wins the job in practice. Same goes for the others. Sarah will push Ice out of the starting lineup only when she shows she knows the system better. And Ash -- she starts until someone shows they can do it better. I remember Q, who had some dazzling moments on offense, but often looked lost on defense. This is what kept her out of the starting lineup. And when she shows Gemo she knows the system as well as Aubrey Ice Ayanna Caroline Morgan Allie or Sarah, she will start and not before. The only one who looks like she doesn't have the same pressure is Jana, since she fills a unique need on this roster.
Have you told Auriemma yet about all of these decisions that have already been made for him?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I have to agree with what you say. Whoever starts will earn it in practice. Except for Paige. I don't see anyone surpassing Paige.

I would love to have the opportunity to watch this team in practice. The competition with be friendly but fierce. As it should be.

Chemistry will be the key along with playing suffocating defense and the understanding and execution of the offensive sets. The ability to know where your teammates are at any giving moment is crucial.

I am sure Geno and the staff are light years ahead of us on all of this.

Reaction Score
It's not clear, but that quote from Maggie makes it sound a bit like Chen was recruited to replace Nika in the starting lineup. Obviously things can change, but reading deeper into the comments, maybe the plan is for KK to come off the bench if Kaitlyn is starting.

Of course, Geno will look at everything when things heat up in October, but there has been a ton of debate over who would start (there always is).

Bottom like she sounds like a great kid. Love the comments from Geno mentioning that when they sat down, they talked more about her sister than about Kaitlyn. It wasn't all "me me me" as Geno said - kids coming in saying "this is what i'm going to do" blah blah. Really looking forward to seeing her play!!

As for Strong, even more excited to see her play. Geno's comments recently something like "we knew she was going to be good, we didn't know she's be this good" is music to my ears.

The amount of "new players" we add this coming season is mind boggling. Kids who didn't play last season (for the most part) and new faces. Azzi, Jana, Aubrey, Caroline, Ayanna, Morgan, Allie, Sara, and Kaitlyn. Holy cow - that's 9 "new" players we didn't have for last season when it mattered.

I think Chen is insurance against Fudd not being ready. Chen has played really really well in some big games and with 8 underclassmen on the team Geno likes her maturity. Chen, Griffin and Bueckers are the old ladies on the roster.

Reaction Score
You do realize she was an honorable mention all-american, correct? Of course she is going to start.
Have you looked at this roster? There is one player that can be said to be a sure fire starter! That is Paige! Everyone else, (likely minus Allie, Morgan and Q) are maybes. Sure, one would think Azzi, if healthy, Jana, as the one true post, and Ash & KK as last year’s starters, are the frontrunners, but this roster is way too talented to say for sure until they actually lace them up! Sarah is a potential superstar, Caroline and Aubrey are former starters and Ice and Yanna were top five recruits! Kaitlyn is a nice player and hopefully will be a big addition to this team but, for sure starter? I don’t think so!

Reaction Score
Have you looked at this roster? There is one player that can be said to be a sure fire starter! That is Paige! Everyone else, (likely minus Allie, Morgan and Q) are maybes. Sure, one would think Azzi, if healthy, Jana, as the one true post, and Ash & KK as last year’s starters, are the frontrunners, but this roster is way too talented to say for sure until they actually lace them up! Sarah is a potential superstar, Caroline and Aubrey are former starters and Ice and Yanna were top five recruits! Kaitlyn is a nice player and hopefully will be a big addition to this team but, for sure starter? I don’t think so!
I’m with you for this bit of reasoning. I’ve been thinking of the Arkansas game two years ago as a model for how Geno will start the season. He had a stable five from the previous season — Paige Christyn Evina Aaliyah and Liv — plus Nika Mir Aubrey and a few strong newcomers in Azzi Caroline Saylor and Dorka who could challenge for minutes, plus a couple of intriguing projects in Amari and Piath.

There was lots of speculation about who might start in this first game. Would Geno give the nod to Azzi or Caroline, both of whom had dazzled at a 3-pt shooting contest. And Dorka had come over from tOSU after a strong career there. Saylor was nursing a back injury and has seen only limited minutes the previous season along with Mir, who looked like a promising successor to Aubrey.

In the end, Geno started Paige Christyn Evina Aaliyah and Liv, and none of the newcomers. When Azzi Caroline and Dorka made it onto the floor, they played tentatively as if they hadn’t fully absorbed the system, especially on defense. Soon enough each of them would find a way to fit in. Saylor and Mir transferred out before they could fit in.

If this is a good example, I’d conclude that the starting five from last March minus Nika and Aaliyah but plus Ice and Jana will start the first game this season. It’s not foolproof reasoning but it’s what makes the most sense to me. They will not play tentatively — except maybe Jana. I’m sure the newcomers will get minutes too, and they’ll play tentatively for stretches until they figure it out.

Reaction Score
I’m with you for this bit of reasoning. I’ve been thinking of the Arkansas game two years ago as a model for how Geno will start the season. He had a stable five from the previous season — Paige Christyn Evina Aaliyah and Liv — plus Nika Mir Aubrey and a few strong newcomers in Azzi Caroline Saylor and Dorka who could challenge for minutes, plus a couple of intriguing projects in Amari and Piath.

There was lots of speculation about who might start in this first game. Would Geno give the nod to Azzi or Caroline, both of whom had dazzled at a 3-pt shooting contest. And Dorka had come over from tOSU after a strong career there. Saylor was nursing a back injury and has seen only limited minutes the previous season along with Mir, who looked like a promising successor to Aubrey.

In the end, Geno started Paige Christyn Evina Aaliyah and Liv, and none of the newcomers. When Azzi Caroline and Dorka made it onto the floor, they played tentatively as if they hadn’t fully absorbed the system, especially on defense. Soon enough each of them would find a way to fit in. Saylor and Mir transferred out before they could fit in.

If this is a good example, I’d conclude that the starting five from last March minus Nika and Aaliyah but plus Ice and Jana will start the first game this season. It’s not foolproof reasoning but it’s what makes the most sense to me. They will not play tentatively — except maybe Jana. I’m sure the newcomers will get minutes too, and they’ll play tentatively for stretches until they figure it out.
This is good reasoning but I don’t see Geno starting Ice over Sarah but we’ll see.

I really don’t know who starts next year besides Paige. I don’t think if everyone was healthy and at their best Geno’s dream starting 5 would be Paige, Azzi, CD, Sarah, Jana. Alas there are too many question makes with Azzi and CD so I think KK, Ashlyn, Ice and Kaitlyn could all compete for those two starting spots.

Reaction Score
I don’t think if everyone was healthy and at their best Geno’s dream starting 5 would be Paige, Azzi, CD, Sarah, Jana. Alas there are too many question makes with Azzi and CD so I think KK, Ashlyn, Ice and Kaitlyn could all compete for those two starting spots.
I agree. Again, just thinking about November here, not March. If everyone were indeed healthy, the entire situation would point to Paige Azzi Caroline starting and competition for the 4th spot between KK and Kaitlyn would be fierce (and wonderful) for both of them. As for the 5th spot, I’d still think Jana gets the nod, but only in November. After that she’d probably have to show why she should keep the starting spot.

My principle throughout has consistently been whoever knows the system plays, especially on defense. In November, Geno seems to like giving everyone some more or less meaningful minutes as part of player development. But that gets sorted pretty quickly and a core rotation emerges. In that Arkansas game two years ago, the core of the team was pretty clearly Paige Christyn Evina Aaliyah and Liv, with Nika and Aubrey (injury notwithstanding) as key rotation players. Dorka Azzi and Caroline were waiting in the wings and when they got in showed that were not entirely up to speed with Geno’s system. That came eventually, but not in November.

This November, it’s not a mystery who among the healthy knows the system. It’s Paige KK Ash and Ice. On the edges of knowing the system are Kaitlyn Q and Jana. That’s pretty much it. As they are cleared to play, I’d expect Azzi Caroline Aubrey would understand the system well enough to step right into a starting spot as warranted. Ayanna would also have a leg up as well. Sarah Allie and Morgan will obviously challenge for playing time and maybe even a starting spot as they get up to speed. All of this means the starting lineup and the rotation may be more changeable midseason this year than in previous years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom