Kahlil Whitney Transferring from UK | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kahlil Whitney Transferring from UK

Reaction Score
If it's a mid year transfer this is all moot. We don't have any scholarships!

Getting out now means he can start playing at the end of the semester wherever he is next year. He doesn't have to enroll in his new school mid-year to do that. He can just sit this semester out, show up somewhere in the fall and then be eligible when that school's first semester is over.

Reaction Score
This would arguably be DH best recruit of his coaching career. Sign me up.
Shooters, bigs, athletes. We have a deficit in all 3. I’ll take any that are willing.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Interesting breakdown of Kahlil's game coming out of Roselle Catholic. The good and the bad...

Reaction Score

assuming he doesnt stay in the draft it appears he'd be a sit out transfer unless granted a waiver. less competition for his services is better for our odds

Reaction Score
We need shooters, i stand by this
Agreed but if Whitney wants to come here I don't think we can say no because he doesn't quite fill our big need for shooting. Guys a former top 15 recruit, he'd be a major upgrade somewhere on our roster

BCF

Reaction Score
Seen him play in high school and he was the best prospect I seen that year(I see alot of kids). He was hitting 3s and creating off the dribble. A couple of scouts I was talking to said he was lottery pick talent. Kentucky is a different animal. Not for everyone. A lot of kids similar age all trying to be the alpha. Hard for some to get the touches. I think at UConn he would get the touches and opportunity. I think he would be a much better player at UConn.

Reaction Score
Did anyone read Seth Davis' Athletic article where he talked about the Whitney transfer?

If not, here's a summary:

Big character red flag. Why would a player transfer after three months of games? He's not getting enough playing time? Then work harder. Perfect example: Nick Richards. Former 16th overall recruit, averaged less than 13 mpg through his first two seasons at Kentucky and is now one of the most valuable players on the team as a junior.

Reaction Score
Did anyone read Seth Davis' Athletic article where he talked about the Whitney transfer?

Big character red flag. Why would a player transfer after three months of games? He's not getting enough playing time? Then work harder. Perfect example: Nick Richards. Former 16th overall recruit, averaged less than 13 mpg through his first two seasons at Kentucky and is now one of the most valuable players on the team as a junior.
Calipari took two SF's after Whitney signed. Keion Brooks and later Johnny Juzang reclassified. I'd be a little pissed off if I'm Whitney, and I think he gave it a shot but it didn't work out. Better to get out now and find a better fit rather than waiting even longer.

Reaction Score

Nick Richards got lucky he was finally given a chance to see the light of day. He was a top 50 recruit that could've gotten a ton of PT playing somewhere else (UConn). In my opinion, the character flaw is going to Kentucky in the first place. Seth is an idiot for making that presumption on the kid. Kentucky already has Terrence Clark and 4 other top 50 players between 6'-6" & 6'-9" coming in next year. The kid is smart to get away from the squid.

I get that you're just the messenger. Seth needs to have some other evidence questioning his character to make that bold a claim on a kid.

Reaction Score
Eh. Seth thinks it reflects on a players character to give up on a fight for playing time that early. That's an opinion, not a fact. No need to bash him for it.

I'm not telling you I wouldn't take him, but it certainly raises a caution flag. What if he gets here and is like a Jackson, where even playing he doesn't like the way he's used. Do you have to worry about him leaving again? I'm not saying you do -- just that this is a rational discussion.

Reaction Score

Could be a culture thing. Kentucky isn't for everyone

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Getting out now means he can start playing at the end of the semester wherever he is next year. He doesn't have to enroll in his new school mid-year to do that. He can just sit this semester out, show up somewhere in the fall and then be eligible when that school's first semester is over.

No, he’s screwed himself up by leaving when he did.

He needs to be in residence for a year at his new school.

He’s missing next season.

Reaction Score
No, he’s screwed himself up by leaving when he did.

He needs to be in residence for a year at his new school.

He’s missing next season.
I think you’re correct. Why didn’t he leave at the end of the first semester which I assume was the end of December. Somebody either gave him bad advice or none at all. I doubt if Calipari was thinking about the kid’s best interest.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you’re correct. Why didn’t he leave at the end of the first semester which I assume was the end of December. Somebody either gave him bad advice or none at all. I doubt if Calipari was thinking about the kid’s best interest.

Either bad advice or more likely, a bad decision.

Reaction Score
He was always going to test the NBA draft, so I'm sure timing wasn't even a consideration since he wouldn't be enrolling spring semester regardless

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This entire Kentucky thing is messed up
1. Why would the squid take the guy who was a top 20 player and the recruit over him
2. Why would a kid who saw that happening - coach taking 2 players at your position after you as a top 20 pick - not reopen his recruitment? To me that's the squid saying maybe I made a mistake. AT Kentucky there isn't room for 3 guys at one position.
3. Kid needed to leave at semester break not now - he was provided with real bad direction.
4. These top recruits need to understand that places like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC are not the always best destination anymore - if you are good enough you will be in the League no matter where you play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom