Justin Joly Big Part of Huskies’ Youth Movement | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Justin Joly Big Part of Huskies’ Youth Movement

Reaction Score
I think there are a few reasons why Joly was ranked so low. He was an under the radar player. His junior year, 2020, the schedule was pushed off into a shortened spring season due to COVID and his stats were somewhat modest with 21 catches for 351 yards and 4 TDs. He blew up his senior year where he had 67 catches for 1033 yards and 10 TDs. Plus, he had 37 carries for 362 yards and 3 TDs. And, he was committed to Delaware so that didn't help his visibility. Throw in that he was listed as 6'3" 190 lbs on 247 and 6'4" 215 lbs on rivals. So I agree with Silver, he was a tweener probably not fast enough to be ranked highly as a WR and not big enough to be rated highly as a TE.

So you had a tweener late bloomer who missed a full junior year who blew up his senior year. Most FBS spots are already gone by then and UConn had a spot. Remember, back in the day, Edsall liked to see senior year results as you can find the late bloomers who have been overlooked.
correct. Rate of growth and physical talent is more important than absolute skills set when projecting the jump from high school to college. Multi-sport athletes can be good because once they focus on just football, then they can experience faster improvement than someone that specialized in football since they were 12 and are close to peaked.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Lol… but Joly ISN’T bigger or more physical. He’s the small baby of them. They have bigger more physical players out injured. That’s the entire point.
bf0900719e6ab99e50458b05a6d82a86.jpg

Reaction Score
I think there are a few reasons why Joly was ranked so low. He was an under the radar player. His junior year, 2020, the schedule was pushed off into a shortened spring season due to COVID and his stats were somewhat modest with 21 catches for 351 yards and 4 TDs. He blew up his senior year where he had 67 catches for 1033 yards and 10 TDs. Plus, he had 37 carries for 362 yards and 3 TDs. And, he was committed to Delaware so that didn't help his visibility. Throw in that he was listed as 6'3" 190 lbs on 247 and 6'4" 215 lbs on rivals. So I agree with Silver, he was a tweener probably not fast enough to be ranked highly as a WR and not big enough to be rated highly as a TE.

So you had a tweener late bloomer who missed a full junior year who blew up his senior year. Most FBS spots are already gone by then and UConn had a spot. Remember, back in the day, Edsall liked to see senior year results as you can find the late bloomers who have been overlooked.
Nice job analyzing …. Very informative

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET
Top Bottom