Justin Joly Big Part of Huskies’ Youth Movement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Justin Joly Big Part of Huskies’ Youth Movement

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand what you are moaning about?
My point is that we tend to jump on a bandwagon going no where because it’s just there. Not because it’s good. Same thing maybe about Mora, but at least he’s not injured. So before we start hyping up scout team kids like Joly, maybe let’s just be patient and wait for the guys to come back who are injured and then see where we are. My thoughts are that we are a whole lot better once we have those guys back instead. It’s like we are playing with one arm behind our back right now.

Reaction Score
So before we start hyping up scout team kids like Joly, maybe let’s just be patient and wait for the guys to come back who are injured and then see where we are.
So the players who are giving a yeoman's effort in an injury wracked season (and succeeding with the sudden increased playing time opportunity) should be ignored by the program and fans?

Sounds like you are worried that someone is getting pushed down the depth chart by the true freshmen successes.

Reaction Score
So the players who are giving a yeoman's effort in an injury wracked season (and succeeding with the sudden increased playing time opportunity) should be ignored by the program and fans?

Sounds like you are worried that someone is getting pushed down the depth chart by the true freshmen successes.
No, they should not be ignored. But it should be in perspective. As an example, Nate Carter gets injured and then suddenly Victor Rosa is the best player ever. Justin Joly on scout and only gets a shot after X amount of injuries. Love that he’s getting some playing time. But don’t hang your hat on that. If this was during Edsall’s I’d say if Joly was buried and not getting time it was because he wasn’t a favorite despite his talent. But Mora and their staff don’t play favorites like Edsalls did so he and others are clear 3rd string or scout players. So comments and posts like he’s some kind of secret weapon is stupid. Fans are so blindly fickle.

Reaction Score

It’s not any one player. Obviously we aren’t playing our best players. But the second our team gets a touchdown with some kid not on the radar then that player is the savior of all things UConn Football. Take it for what it’s worth. It’s just annoying on Sunday reading it.

Reaction Score
No, they should not be ignored. But it should be in perspective. As an example, Nate Carter gets injured and then suddenly Victor Rosa is the best player ever. Justin Joly on scout and only gets a shot after X amount of injuries. Love that he’s getting some playing time. But don’t hang your hat on that. If this was during Edsall’s I’d say if Joly was buried and not getting time it was because he wasn’t a favorite despite his talent. But Mora and their staff don’t play favorites like Edsalls did so he and others are clear 3rd string or scout players. So comments and posts like he’s some kind of secret weapon is stupid. Fans are so blindly fickle.

So is it okay to say Joly appears to be the best receiver we have right now? Because I don't see any of our current receivers going over the middle and making the catches he is. And he's doing it with the opposition knowing that he's basically our only weapon.

Do you think when we get our injured receivers back and others have to be covered, just maybe he'll be open to make those same catches?

I don't know what your agenda is but you certainly have one.

Reaction Score
So is it okay to say Joly appears to be the best receiver we have right now? Because I don't see any of our current receivers going over the middle and making the catches he is. And he's doing it with the opposition knowing that he's basically our only weapon.

Do you think when we get our injured receivers back and others have to be covered, just maybe he'll be open to make those same catches?

I don't know what your agenda is but you certainly have one.
No agenda. Why does there need to be one just because I find it irritating.

I think when we get our receivers back he will be back on scout team. I think our QB will be the back up QB again. Our team will be much better.

The point being is that we are playing our 2nd and 3rd team players. So imagine what we can do when we don’t.

Reaction Score
No agenda. Why does there need to be one just because I find it irritating.

I think when we get our receivers back he will be back on scout team. I think our QB will be the back up QB again. Our team will be much better.

The point being is that we are playing our 2nd and 3rd team players. So imagine what we can do when we don’t.
You find it irritating that fans are excited a player is having success in an area where they desperately needed someone, anyone to step up and perform?

I’m getting Billy Madison using the Puppy Who Lost His Way to respond to reflections of society in literature vibes here.

Reaction Score
Did he get hurt, not sure if I saw him in the game after this play.

Reaction Score
Imagine, the nerve of that kid to try to make plays and win games when he should be on the sidelines with a sign saying "Don't look at me -- we have better receivers."
That was a nice throw on the run by Zion

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand what you are moaning about?

When someone with a grand total of 16 posts tells all of us that we're thinking about things totally wrong, in a way that makes no sense, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to conclude there is a personal motive involved or it's a troll.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's actually not an overhype to start lauding the performance of kids like Joly and Rosa. The Running Backs Coach believes Rosa can be one of the best ever to play here. I'll take his assessment over us Boneyarders. As for Joly, he has great hands and nice moves after the catch. He's becoming trusted on 50-50 balls downfield. He will be a major player for us going forward.

Reaction Score
It's actually not an overhype to start lauding the performance of kids like Joly and Rosa. The Running Backs Coach believes Rosa can be one of the best ever to play here. I'll take his assessment over us Boneyarders. As for Joly, he has great hands and nice moves after the catch. He's becoming trusted on 50-50 balls downfield. He will be a major player for us going forward.
I'm really high on Rosa after seeing him in person last year. Kid should have been afforded a redshirt like Nate Carter but he's been pressed into early duty and has given a good account of himself. Has a lot of wiggle. Doesn't have it all figured out yet at this level but you see it coming.

Reaction Score
I think you are missing the point. Mora has brought in bigger more physical players like Joly. It may have taken time for him to get adjusted but they can be more impactful then some of the older players.

Reaction Score
I think you are missing the point. Mora has brought in bigger more physical players like Joly. It may have taken time for him to get adjusted but they can be more impactful then some of the older players.
Lol… but Joly ISN’T bigger or more physical. He’s the small baby of them. They have bigger more physical players out injured. That’s the entire point.

Reaction Score
I now think that Victor Rosa is much better than Nate Carter. Nate’s not on the field so let’s just push him aside and forget that he’s actually the better player. Same mindset…. (Victor isn’t better than Nate)

Reaction Score
Joly and Rosa out there making plays helping the team win. That is all that matters. When others come back and contribute they'll be getting the love.

Reaction Score
How is a kid like Justin Joly only a 2 star recruit and only one offer(uconn) ?… he’s big athletic and fast … and he gets open and catches every ball thrown his way.. including in traffic… that touchdown against Ball state.. the player guarding him Joly just out ran him to the the end zone…. Mora hit a home run with this

No idea. that kid can play. Probably has to do with him being a WR/TE tweener.

Reaction Score
No idea. that kid can play. Probably has to do with him being a WR/TE tweener.
Also, if he played high school football in a state like Texas with a good QB, then he might have been ranked a lot higher and received more attention. Northeast kids get neglected by a lot of the top programs and scouting services. However, that's great for UConn overall.

Reaction Score
I think there are a few reasons why Joly was ranked so low. He was an under the radar player. His junior year, 2020, the schedule was pushed off into a shortened spring season due to COVID and his stats were somewhat modest with 21 catches for 351 yards and 4 TDs. He blew up his senior year where he had 67 catches for 1033 yards and 10 TDs. Plus, he had 37 carries for 362 yards and 3 TDs. And, he was committed to Delaware so that didn't help his visibility. Throw in that he was listed as 6'3" 190 lbs on 247 and 6'4" 215 lbs on rivals. So I agree with Silver, he was a tweener probably not fast enough to be ranked highly as a WR and not big enough to be rated highly as a TE.

So you had a tweener late bloomer who missed a full junior year who blew up his senior year. Most FBS spots are already gone by then and UConn had a spot. Remember, back in the day, Edsall liked to see senior year results as you can find the late bloomers who have been overlooked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom