2023 Recruiting: - Justin Edwards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Justin Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Word i hear is uconn is putting alot of energy and time into him.
Good, but expected.

Not saying this is the case here, but you saying that reminds me of when a reporter asks a recruit which school they're excited about and they answer "school X is recruiting me hardest". That's not actually a strong endorsement of the school, in fact usually the opposite!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

This was the tweet that made me think about it. Again, who knows. Maybe we didn’t push either out and it’s no big deal.

This is interesting
Not sure if they are serious or just putting up some window dressing
The bottom line is that this Portal BS has to stop or it will have a devastating overall effect on college basketball in many areas

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

This was the tweet that made me think about it. Again, who knows. Maybe we didn’t push either out and it’s no big deal.

Iirc rahsool wasn’t a team final guy. And it’s hard to read anything other than Hurley wanted Floyd here.

Reaction Score
Iirc rahsool wasn’t a team final guy. And it’s hard to read anything other than Hurley wanted Floyd here.
I had no recollection of it but apparently he was. Probably because of how weird the AAU seasons were with Covid, don't think they had as many events after he was a UConn commit and I was paying attention

Reaction Score
I also don't think Rahsool was necessarily "pushed out". He would have been given as much of a chance as anyone to earn big minutes at the point - but DH was probably honest with him in terms of having some stiff competition for minutes.

Reaction Score
I also don't think Rahsool was necessarily "pushed out". He would have been given as much of a chance as anyone to earn big minutes at the point - but DH was probably honest with him in terms of having some stiff competition for minutes.
It was said by his high school coach he wasn’t

Reaction Score

This is like the NCAA saying you can't cheat, pay players (pre NIL), etc...

It really only applies to lesser schools...anyone really think they're gonna block players from talking to Duke, UK, KU, etc?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
1. We may disagree on how Diggins and Floyd’s transfers happened but the only opinions that matter is the AAU team itself.

2. We aren’t Duke, UK, or KU right now. We don’t have leverage in this case and kind of need those good AAU programs that can feed us. Souring the relationship with one that produces a lot of good talent is not good.

3. Usually in situations like this people are going to make sure public facing is good and amicable if they’re smart. But we don’t really know what went on behind closed doors that can affect this relationship.

Would love to get Justin and if we could, we must do everything possible to keep Young.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1. We may disagree on how Diggins and Floyd’s transfers happened but the only opinions that matter is the AAU team itself.

2. We aren’t Duke, UK, or KU right now. We don’t have leverage in this case and kind of need those good AAU programs that can feed us. Souring the relationship with one that produces a lot of good talent is not good.

3. Usually in situations like this people are going to make sure public facing is good and amicable if they’re smart. But we don’t really know what went on behind closed doors that can affect this relationship.

Would love to get Justin and if we could, we must do everything possible to keep Young.
?? We are recruiting him. He's talking to the staff. Ergo, we aren't being blocked by the AAU team. This is a big nothingburger.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
?? We are recruiting him. He's talking to the staff. Ergo, we aren't being blocked by the AAU team. This is a big nothingburger.
Yeah you can’t really block players from talking to schools, but you can certainly talk negatively about them and that could have an influence. It’s not going to matter in every situation but it doesn’t help.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah you can’t really block players from talking to schools, but you can certainly talk negatively about them and that could have an influence. It’s not going to matter in every situation but it doesn’t help.
Sure. Just saying it doesn't seem to be happening in our case. I'd take a pretty narrow view of their pronouncement. If some smaller school really screws their guy, maybe they do this.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Sure. Just saying it doesn't seem to be happening in our case. I'd take a pretty narrow view of their pronouncement. If some smaller school really screws their guy, maybe they do this.
I hope so. I haven’t followed high school basketball recruitment very closely in years to understand how things work fully.

I know in football (which may be different) feeder high school programs are definitely a thing and if a coach doesn’t like you than it could be hard to recruit from there. Not impossible, just hard.

Reaction Score
Yup.

“A combination of (wanting to play) closer to home, a little bit more playing time,” John Mosco, Diggins’ coach at Archbishop Wood in Philadelphia, explained. “He wasn’t chased out. It was ‘Sool’s decision. Danny (Hurley) wanted him to stay.”
UMass is so much closer to Philly than UConn lol :D

Reaction Score
Rahsool’s first visit was supposed to be to Penn State, but they cancelled it because they got two other guards. Things don’t always go smoothly in the portal.

Reaction Score
I hope so. I haven’t followed high school basketball recruitment very closely in years to understand how things work fully.

I know in football (which may be different) feeder high school programs are definitely a thing and if a coach doesn’t like you than it could be hard to recruit from there. Not impossible, just hard.

Basketball and football recruiting are very, very different. Basketball players have loyalty to both their high schools and their AAU programs and take advice from both. There can be selfish adults on all sides (college, AAU, high school, families). The Rivals guy once said Hurley would never get any of his players because he hired an Xpressions guy to be on his staff. Petty nonsense, and that didn’t stop a high profile Rivals guy from committing. Being pushed out (a coach saying you literally do not have a scholarship anymore, bye) is completely different than being honest with a player and them taking that information and making a decision. This staff is very honest with their guys. Coaches might differ on how they think a player should be developed, but those are professional not personal discussions. Hurley has a history with Team Final that predates his time at UConn.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Basketball and football recruiting are very, very different. Basketball players have loyalty to both their high schools and their AAU programs and take advice from both. There can be selfish adults on all sides (college, AAU, high school, families). The Rivals guy once said Hurley would never get any of his players because he hired an Xpressions guy to be on his staff. Petty nonsense, and that didn’t stop a high profile Rivals guy from committing. Being pushed out (a coach saying you literally do not have a scholarship anymore, bye) is completely different than being honest with a player and them taking that information and making a decision. This staff is very honest with their guys. Coaches might differ on how they think a player should be developed, but those are professional not personal discussions. Hurley has a history with Team Final that predates his time at UConn.
Everyone wants to feel like they have more power and influence than they actually do

Reaction Score

I assistant coached the 13-15u national teams for a future EYBL team. I can quite confidently confirm that the owner of Rivals is an absolute and total lunatic. I believe it's @BFieldHusky and @UConnStats that remember me PM'ing them in horror afterwards a few years ago lol

Reaction Score
I hope the staff realizes if he’s a guy that a Kentucky or Dook just comes in and buys. I think they really butchered C recruiting that first year focusing on Kofi and then prioritizing the GTown big too late. Obv Sanogo fixed that a year later.

But like a lot of things, I think they’re learning and think they do. Clearly, KO wasted a ton of time on guys like Cam Reddish that were always KY/Dook types.

I don’t follow recruiting much anymore but always wonder if there’s a realistic shot. Seems like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom