Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water | The Boneyard

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Enjoying your pool? Maybe a buddy invited you over pool party? Well think again my friends. There is danger lurking. A fecal parasite that live for days in a pool. Fecal parasite? Yup, you sons friends pooh fragments may be contaminating your pool and swimming up your rectum.

Maybe it's best just to close the pool a bit early... like now.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

6C9DB6D9-1F7C-4184-A8F1-8C3AF5451F12.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Enjoying your pool? Maybe a buddy invited you over pool party? Well think again my friends. There is danger lurking. A fecal parasite that live for days in a pool. Fecal parasite? Yup, you sons friends pooh fragments may be contaminating your pool and swimming up your rectum.

Maybe it's best just to close the pool a bit early... like now.

Is this Deepster's other account?

CL82

Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is a public pool/water scare. If a pool is properly maintained, there is zero risk. Much easier for private residential owners to maintain higher standards than a public pool, hotel, or a pool club.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is a public pool/water scare. If a pool is properly maintained, there is zero risk. Much easier for private residential owners to maintain higher standards than a public pool, hotel, or a pool club.
Au contraire, mon frere...

The parasite is a problem in pools is because an infected swimmer can excrete the parasite at several orders of magnitude higher than the amount necessary to cause infection. Cryptosporidium has a high tolerance to chlorine and can survive in a properly chlorinated pool for up to seven days, the CDC says. In pools, cryptosporidium can enter the body when a swimmer swallows contaminated water.

Face it fecal parasites are swimming around your properly maintained pool at this very moment just waiting for their chance.

Reaction Score

The parasite is a problem in pools is because an infected swimmer can excrete the parasite at several orders of magnitude higher than the amount necessary to cause infection. Cryptosporidium has a high tolerance to chlorine and can survive in a properly chlorinated pool for up to seven days, the CDC says. In pools, cryptosporidium can enter the body when a swimmer swallows contaminated water.

Face it fecal parasites are swimming around your properly maintained pool at this very moment just waiting for their chance.
Properly chlorinated is 1-3ppm. Just shock it every now and then. Especially before and after you have kids in your pool.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Face it fecal parasites are swimming around "your properly maintained pool" at this very moment just waiting for their chance.

7465 cases / 300 million = 0.0024883%
No distinction in the 156 cases found in treated water between private residential vs. public sites?
6 states account for nearly all of the cases, with none in Connecticut.

Is this really a national epidemic. Regardless if there were an isolated case or two in Connecticut, I personally have less than a zero concern with my set up. The article does not state what they consider what is properly maintained. I have significantly higher standards than what Leslie's or Namco recommend.

CL82

Reaction Score
Properly chlorinated is 1-3ppm. Just shock it every now and then. Especially before and after you have kids in your pool.
Cryptosporidium laughs at your 1-3ppm of chlorine.

CL82

Reaction Score
7465 cases / 300 million = 0.0024883%
No distinction in the 156 cases found in treated water between private residential vs. public sites?
6 states account for nearly all of the cases, with none in Connecticut.

Is this really a national epidemic. Regardless if there were an isolated case or two in Connecticut, I personally have less than a zero concern with my set up. The article does not state what they consider what is properly maintained. I have significantly higher standards than what Leslie's or Namco recommend.
It only takes one infected kid, perhaps one who also swims in a public pool and your pool becomes a giant petrie dish. I only say this because I care.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Depends on Cyanuric acid (stabilizer) levels. I like to keep CYA between 30-40 ppm, which puts my minimum Free Chlorine at 3ppm and a target of 5-7. In a 27,000 gallon pool that is about 3/4 -1 gallon of 12.5% "shock"/day.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It only takes one infected kid, perhaps one who also swims in a public pool and your pool becomes a giant petrie dish. I only say this because I care.
If you get scared off by less than 1/4 of 1/100th of 1%, with no documented case within 100 miles, then stay your hind parts out the pool. I'll stay cool and have fun with my potty-trained children.

CL82

Reaction Score
Depends on Cyanuric acid (stabilizer) levels. I like to keep CYA between 30-40 ppm, which puts my minimum Free Chlorine at 3ppm and a target of 5-7. In a 27,000 gallon pool that is about 3/4 -1 gallon of 12.5% "shock"/day.
Just a day at the beach for Cryptosporidium.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you get scared off by less than 1/4 of 1/100th of 1%, with no documented case within 100 miles, then stay your hind parts out the pool. I'll stay cool and have fun with my potty-trained children.
Sure your kids... but what about their friends?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sure your kids... but what about their friends?

If they are in my pool, I'll take those chances. Kemba Walker has a far better shot of being inducted into the the Naismith HoF with only his accomplishments to date.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Good. It may save your life.
That's why I do my own testing, maintenance, and my Free Chlorine levels are at least twice what is typically recommended. Many services don't pay attention to stabilizer and stores commonly offer free water testing in order to sell truly unneeded chemicals.

At the end of the day, this is far more a concern fro commercial pools than it is residential.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom