Just watched the UConn / ND game again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just watched the UConn / ND game again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
May I add when Breanna drove the lane and laid it in and was called for a charge it wasnt. Cferr you were right. That wouldve put UConn up and most likely a win. I rewatched the game last night. Especially in the second half when Bria and BB used dribble penetration we scored. When we didnt we missed quite a few shots. We did have an off shooting night and it appeared to me like we were rushing our shots. I hope of the next couple of games Tuck Stewart and MJ get more playtime and I want to see BB and Bria shoot more outside shots. Neither was their self the last 2 games.

This is one of the reasons for keeping Stef in the high post. When she is in the low post it is very crowded in there and there are few lanes for cutting.

Reaction Score
Next you'll be saying there is no such thing as a "make-up" call. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I do think at the half they take a look at how the game was called in the first half, and if a coach has complained and has a valid point, then the refs may be watching out for things that they may have missed the first half. If the supervisor of officials happens to be at the game, they may also speak to the refs if the calls were not fairly called in both directions. While not exactly doing it with the intent of evening out the stats, the effect is often the same.

I agree that the refs will watch for certain things in the 2nd half that both coaches have complained about and give those areas more of their concentration. Surpervisor of officials dont speak to the game refs about evening out the calls during a game. That is done after the fact, after their game evaluations have been written and with game tape to review.
A well known line from officials is: after being critized during the game that too many fouls were being called against his team the ref responded by saying, then tell YOUR team to stop fouling.
NO ref worth his salt keeps track of how many calls he has made against one team or the other. They see a foul, in their estimation and they make a call, either for your team or against it, not as a stat to keep things even.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Next you'll be saying there is no such thing as a "make-up" call. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I do think at the half they take a look at how the game was called in the first half, and if a coach has complained and has a valid point, then the refs may be watching out for things that they may have missed the first half. If the supervisor of officials happens to be at the game, they may also speak to the refs if the calls were not fairly called in both directions. While not exactly doing it with the intent of evening out the stats, the effect is often the same.
I know a former D-1 men's ref and a current NBA ref who would chuckle at Forty_four's "understanding".

BTW, there's also no refs involved with gambling on games or players that use performance enhancing drugs. ;)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Sorry that no-call against KML that resulted in KML going out of the game with an injury...was a clear charge, KML was set and she was clearly outside the circle...there nothing 50/50 about it...and it would have resulted in Achonowa fouling out.
LOL Gotta wonder if Stef plowed into Diggins or Mcbride if a foul wouldve been called. LOL You bet it wouldve been called.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Sorry that no-call against KML that resulted in KML going out of the game with an injury...was a clear charge, KML was set and she was clearly outside the circle...there nothing 50/50 about it...and it would have resulted in Achonowa fouling out.

Yep, I ran that play over several times: nothing ambiguous about it at all. No-call was a missed call there. Re: the two charging calls vs. B. Stew-- 1st one I couldn't get a good enough angle to be sure about, but the second (at 2:58) looked like a lousy call, and repeated slo-mo reviews confirmed it. The ND player (Loyd?) converged w/ BStew at an angle, was never set, and never squared up to Breanna's line to the basket. Bad call, and a crucial one.
On a related matter (collisions) I was "entertained" by Diggins' tactic to put BBanks her place. At 14:47, after BB bellied up on her on the baseline after a UConn basket, Diggins clearly did not want that aggressive defense, so she dribbled up the right side then deliberately and suddenly veered into BB (bit of a hip check), stumbled a bit (looking for a call?), and continued up the court. Could have been called an offensive foul, but almost never is. I set that bit of theater against the two phantom calls against Mo Jeff (6:57) and BHartley :)49) as Diggins drove to the basket. (At least I could not see contact on either of the replays.) Refs do get gamed, even some of the best.

Reaction Score
I know a former D-1 men's ref and a current NBA ref who would chuckle at Forty_four's "understanding".

BTW, there's also no refs involved with gambling on games or players that use performance enhancing drugs. ;)

So you want to paint every ref with the tainted brush? The vast majority of refs would be highly insulted with your comment.

I know a CURRENT d-1 ref who did the Uconn NCAA first round game last year and it was his comment that he calls them as he see them. Could not care less who wins and its not his job to track how many calls are going against either team.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
We lost by one point to a good team. We had chances to hit a shot at the end and didn't. It happens. Do the refs in Div 1 women's BB need to improve - Heck yeah. But that's what happens when it's a close game. So the best way is to make sure we don't lament over lousy calls is to make SURE it isn't close. Not always easy but that's the best we can hope for given the circumstances.
Time to move on.....

Reaction Score
Well rewatching, all those calls were 50/50 calls. Yes KML was outside the arc. But still 50/50 calls. Unfortunately they all went ND's way. They could have just as easily gone UCONN's way. Maybe next time.
As I stated prior to the game refs have a serious problem calling fouls against N.D. Especially Diggins who could also have been called for charges more than once!!!! Also as an aside; I said prior to the game when discussing the Rankings prior to the ND UConn game that the AP and Coaches polls severely undervalued ND as a team!!!!

Reaction Score
We lost by one point to a good team. We had chances to hit a shot at the end and didn't. It happens. Do the refs in Div 1 women's BB need to improve - Heck yeah. But that's what happens when it's a close game. So the best way is to make sure we don't lament over lousy calls is to make SURE it isn't close. Not always easy but that's the best we can hope for given the circumstances.
Time to move on.....
I am sorry to disagree with your statement. " The squeaky wheel gets the grease". If all fans of NCAA women's bball screamed loud enough we might actually get these refs to call a consistent and good game. Just as the people who complained about the NFL replacement refs sped up the settlement of the ref strike.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Yep, I ran that play over several times: nothing ambiguous about it at all. No-call was a missed call there. Re: the two charging calls vs. B. Stew-- 1st one I couldn't get a good enough angle to be sure about, but the second (at 2:58) looked like a lousy call, and repeated slo-mo reviews confirmed it. The ND player (Loyd?) converged w/ BStew at an angle, was never set, and never squared up to Breanna's line to the basket. Bad call, and a crucial one.
On a related matter (collisions) I was "entertained" by Diggins' tactic to put BBanks her place. At 14:47, after BB bellied up on her on the baseline after a UConn basket, Diggins clearly did not want that aggressive defense, so she dribbled up the right side then deliberately and suddenly veered into BB (bit of a hip check), stumbled a bit (looking for a call?), and continued up the court. Could have been called an offensive foul, but almost never is. I set that bit of theater against the two phantom calls against Mo Jeff (6:57) and BHartley :)49) as Diggins drove to the basket. (At least I could not see contact on either of the replays.) Refs do get gamed, even some of the best.

Don't know if I'd be including Dee Kantner as one of the "best" .

And that statement in itself is a sad commentary on the state of WBB refs - after all, she is the WNBA supervisor of officals.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. When I was watching the game I noticed some of the calls could have gone either way. Obviously I wish would have went UCONN's way but most didnt. Is one game. This group will learn from it and move on.....
I don't like the concept of the arc there isn't going to be any flood, but I do like the concept that if an offensive player is in the air you shouldn't be able to step under her to get a charge called.

Reaction Score
Don't know if I'd be including Dee Kantner as one of the "best" .

And that statement in itself is a sad commentary on the state of WBB refs - after all, she is the WNBA supervisor of officals.
Being the best of the bad still makes you bad. It's sort of like being the best behaved prisoner in your cell block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom