Just watched the UConn / ND game again | The Boneyard

Just watched the UConn / ND game again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Very late in the 2nd half, Achonowa goes to the basket and clearly KML is outside the circle and Achonawa bowls her over and lands on top of her and KML goes out of the game. To make matters worse the announcer (the woman)...says "another no-call" like it is KML's fault. The male announcer says what should have been called the female announcer says, "a blocking foul, I believe they were inside the circle". Sorry, KML was clearly outside the circle and it should have been a charge. Putting KML on the line shooting 2 shots as ND had 10 fouls and that would have been number 11.

I mention this because while there were plenty of chances for UConn to have won this game...this play was a play of magnitude that definitely impacted the outcome of the game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yep, I noted that during the game thread as soon as Mary said I thought she was wrong and hit rewind to check. You are right, cf, she was wrong.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
If called a charge, it would have been UConn's ball, but no free throws. You don't get free throws off of offensive fouls, even when in the bonus.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
And, Achonawa would have fouled out with 3:50 left...

Reaction Score
I am re-watching the game now. I have not gotten that far into the game yet, still 1st half.

Reaction Score
What about the fouls on Stewie both called offensive when they should have been called blocking fouls.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What about the fouls on Stewie both called offensive when they should have been called blocking fouls.
Well rewatching, all those calls were 50/50 calls. Yes KML was outside the arc. But still 50/50 calls. Unfortunately they all went ND's way. They could have just as easily gone UCONN's way. Maybe next time.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Well rewatching, all those calls were 50/50 calls. Yes KML was outside the arc. But still 50/50 calls. Unfortunately they all went ND's way. They could have just as easily gone UCONN's way. Maybe next time.

I totally agree. When I was watching the game I noticed some of the calls could have gone either way. Obviously I wish would have went UCONN's way but most didnt. Is one game. This group will learn from it and move on.....

Reaction Score
One play puzzled me. At 13:31 of the 1st half, MoJef was guarding Diggins closely, both standing motionless, deep in the corner. Suddenly Diggins started pushing MoJef the way a football offensive lineman would push back a defender. After pushing Jefferson back about 3-4 steps, a foul was called on Diggins. I saw no reason for Diggins to do such a thing except perhaps an intimidation move. (I guess there aren't a lot of players Diggins outweighs). It looked like a bully move. Any insight into what was going on?

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Therein lies the problem...there are no "50/50 calls" when anyone (not just UConn) plays ND.

Next time will be no different. We need to compensate and have the mindset that we're already down 10 points and 5 fouls before the ball is tipped-off.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
we play notre dame fine... they always get calls based on Diggins "star power".... they average so many fre throws a game... because they are aggressive to the rim... even against us. so im sure some free throws their way would not have mattered if UCONN made their wide open shots. thats a game...

We had a terrible loss against Stanford... as angry as i was after that... If Griner made her last shot we wouldn't of had to deal with the loss... oh well. Stanford played well against our freshman point guard, whoopee.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think I watched the game from a fairly objective viewpoint and to me it seemed that the game was called fairly evenly. I saw times where both teams were physical and could have been called for fouls. I don't know how you can say that there were a lot of 50/50 calls and most went ND's way when the foul count was 17 to 16.

As ladybears4eva pointed out, ND went to the rack, thus getting FTs. They shot almost half the number of 3 pointers that UCONN did, and that was the game right there. Take it to the rack instead of shooting so many three pointers and UCONN wins the game.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I don't know how you can say that there were a lot of 50/50 calls and most went ND's way when the foul count was 17 to 16.
Because your straight line theory doesn't take into account that all fouls are not created equally. In this case, the game's tempo was set in the first half by UConn foul issues.

How well would Baylor fare against any Top 5 team if BG and Sims each had two fouls by the 11 minute mark of the first half and had to play cautiously or sit for big minutes? Right. Well that's what Stef and Kaleena are to us. No equivalency was distributed to ND on their key players in the first half and they played with as much aggression as we did. FT's were 12-6 advantage ND at the half.

Refs are human, they check the stats at the half and will (consciously or unconsciously) balance stats out by games end in most games. This way, they're assured someone on the Internet points out that the game was called evenly based on the final foul count being 17 to 16. ;)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Sorry that no-call against KML that resulted in KML going out of the game with an injury...was a clear charge, KML was set and she was clearly outside the circle...there nothing 50/50 about it...and it would have resulted in Achonowa fouling out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Therein lies the problem...there are no "50/50 calls" when anyone (not just UConn) plays ND.

Next time will be no different. We need to compensate and have the mindset that we're already down 10 points and 5 fouls before the ball is tipped-off.
Well they are 50/50 calls, but true, they don't seem to go our way much against ND.

However, there were a few, "ew, yikes,....oh ok? we'll take that" calls that went our way.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
May I add when Breanna drove the lane and laid it in and was called for a charge it wasnt. Cferr you were right. That wouldve put UConn up and most likely a win. I rewatched the game last night. Especially in the second half when Bria and BB used dribble penetration we scored. When we didnt we missed quite a few shots. We did have an off shooting night and it appeared to me like we were rushing our shots. I hope of the next couple of games Tuck Stewart and MJ get more playtime and I want to see BB and Bria shoot more outside shots. Neither was their self the last 2 games.

Reaction Score
Its really easy to figure out. Clear it out and take the ball to the hoop againest ND. They dont have the height to stop you.

If it's that easy, I guess it means our coaches failed miserably?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
In a game like this players and coaches alike share the responsibility. I'm not pointing the finger at Geno and staff on anything in particular...but it is a team sport. The players and the coaches share in the warmth of victory and they likewise share in the responsibility of defeat..."Das is the nature of the beast".

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
If it's that easy, I guess it means our coaches failed miserably?
You do realize that Tony has the right to his own opinion and that this thread is a POST-GAME analysis that enjoys the benefit of slow-motion video replay? I guess your post suggests that our coaches are incapable of making adjustments going forward.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Well they are 50/50 calls, but true, they don't seem to go our way much against ND.

However, there were a few, "ew, yikes,....oh ok? we'll take that" calls that went our way.
Glad you gave me the opportunity to provide you "like" 1001! :)

Reaction Score
Because your straight line theory doesn't take into account that all fouls are not created equally. In this case, the game's tempo was set in the first half by UConn foul issues.

How well would Baylor fare against any Top 5 team if BG and Sims each had two fouls by the 11 minute mark of the first half and had to play cautiously or sit for big minutes? Right. Well that's what Stef and Kaleena are to us. No equivalency was distributed to ND on their key players in the first half and they played with as much aggression as we did. FT's were 12-6 advantage ND at the half.

Refs are human, they check the stats at the half and will (consciously or unconsciously) balance stats out by games end in most games. This way, they're assured someone on the Internet points out that the game was called evenly based on the final foul count being 17 to 16. ;)

It's always been my understanding that refs call the game as they see it, not trying to even out the stats after the first half is concluded.

Reaction Score
It's always been my understanding that refs call the game as they see it, not trying to even out the stats after the first half is concluded.
Next you'll be saying there is no such thing as a "make-up" call. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I do think at the half they take a look at how the game was called in the first half, and if a coach has complained and has a valid point, then the refs may be watching out for things that they may have missed the first half. If the supervisor of officials happens to be at the game, they may also speak to the refs if the calls were not fairly called in both directions. While not exactly doing it with the intent of evening out the stats, the effect is often the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom