Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
UConn/LSU.

JC hadn't become JC yet.
Played a zone almost the whole game.
Played Sellers, Walker, DePriest and Cyrulic with 2 fouls in the 1st half. Walker with 3! Of the three of them, only Sellers picked up another foul in the 2nd half.
We advanced the ball via a long bass A LOT. Very little dribbling up court.
Considering LSU had Shaq and a couple 6-9 guys on the floor most of the time, we rebounded pretty well.
Shaq shot better from the FT line (5 of 6) that we did as a team. (13 of 24, and only Gwynn shot over 50%)
We stole the ball a lot.

The funny thing is, in my memories of this game, Lyman DePriest played a much more significant role than he did on rewatching it. I now see Torraino being a bigger factor in the game than Lyman. But the real stars of the game were Chris Smith, Scott Burrell and John Gwynn.

We complain about announcers today but man, Dick Stockton and Billy Cunningham were God awful.

Reaction Score
UConn/LSU.

JC hadn't become JC yet.
Played a zone almost the whole game.
Played Sellers, Walker, DePriest and Cyrulic with 2 fouls in the 1st half. Walker with 3! Of the three of them, only Sellers picked up another foul in the 2nd half.
We advanced the ball via a long bass A LOT. Very little dribbling up court.
Considering LSU had Shaq and a couple 6-9 guys on the floor most of the time, we rebounded pretty well.
Shaq shot better from the FT line (5 of 6) that we did as a team. (13 of 24, and only Gwynn shot over 50%)
We stole the ball a lot.

The funny thing is, in my memories of this game, Lyman DePriest played a much more significant role than he did on rewatching it. I now see Torraino being a bigger factor in the game than Lyman. But the real stars of the game were Chris Smith, Scott Burrell and John Gwynn.

We complain about announcers today but man, Dick Stockton and Billy Cunningham were God awful.

Was Shaq coming off an injury in that game? I have reasonably good recollection of that game, and it was an upset if I recall.

Special players demand special strategies, and Shaq was a game changer. I remember being euphoric after we won! Can't get to Google right now; anyone know what the seeds were for that game?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Was Shaq coming off an injury in that game? I have reasonably good recollection of that game, and it was an upset if I recall.

Special players demand special strategies, and Shaq was a game changer. I remember being euphoric after we won! Can't get to Google right now; anyone know what the seeds were for that game?
LSU was a 6th seed, we were 11. Shaq had missed 2 games with a stress fracture, but said he was "99.99%" for the game. He scored a ton, but it was mostly after they were down by 20+.

He and Burrell each had 5 blocks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still remember my buddy telling me of his conversation with a UConn hater at work after that game.

"Ha, Shaq did a number on your boys!"
"But UConn won"
"Yeah, Shaq had 6* dunks!"
"But UConn won"
"Six dunks with authority!"

* - I forgot the exact number of dunks he said so I estimated

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Burrell is one of those "born too soon guys." Today he'd be a perfect 3-and-D, a Kawhi Leonard-type who could lock down spots 1-through-4, rebound and hit open jumpers.

And folks forget how great a passer he was. Lots of times we could just run the offense through him, something no other forward but Caron has done in the last 30 years.

Reaction Score
To this day, I am mystified that Dick Stockton has had any sort of career in broadcasting, let alone one that has spanned over 40 (*$%#!) years. He is absolutely the single worst announcer I have ever heard. He constantly pronounces names wrong, he gets excited at the wrong times, and he sounds as if he does no homework on the players or teams whatsoever, constantly misquoting statistics and information about even the most well-known players.

For those who do not know, his is the play-by-play voice on the national broadcast call for Carlton Fisk's famous game-ending home run in game 6 of the 1975 World Series... it is such a pathetically lame call of one of the most amazing moments in World Series history - typical of his consistently horrible announcing for 4 decades.

I have been turning the sound off, or just turning the channel when I hear him announcing a sporting event for over 30 years - sometimes even UConn games.

Reaction Score
And as is typical of JC, he totally outcoached Dale Brown in that game. We dominated a team with better individual players from about midway through the first half, winning by 17 as a # 11 seed. Shaq got 27 and 16, but we totally took advantage of their poor outside game to win handily. That was a fun game - and as I recall, loser Dick Stockton was shocked by how we dominated that game - typical Stockton.

Reaction Score
And as is typical of JC, he totally outcoached Dale Brown in that game. We dominated a team with better individual players from about midway through the first half, winning by 17 as a # 11 seed. Shaq got 27 and 16, but we totally took advantage of their poor outside game to win handily. That was a fun game - and as I recall, loser Dick Stockton was shocked by how we dominated that game - typical Stockton.

Actually it was typical, hate to say it, for almost all coaches to out coach Dale Brown........but soon it would become the norm with JC and whomever

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To this day, I am mystified that Dick Stockton has had any sort of career in broadcasting, let alone one that has spanned over 40 (*$%#!) years. He is absolutely the single worst announcer I have ever heard. ...

For those who do not know, his is the play-by-play voice on the national broadcast call for Carlton Fisk's famous game-ending home run in game 6 of the 1975 World Series... it is such a pathetically lame call of one of the most amazing moments in World Series history - typical of his consistently horrible announcing for 4 decades....

Amen, brother. THE worst. He also was the announcer for "The Shot". And called that so impressively that they use Bob Heussler's radio call when it gets replayed on TV. And that Sox call really frosts me. He wasn't in the booth as a network guy, he was there as the home team rep. It should have been Ned Martin.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction - and yes, I know he also was the CBS announcer on "The Shot" - but I try to forget. He really is THAT awful. I swear he has damaging photos of some bigwig at CBS Sports. It is the only explanation...

Reaction Score
Then he and Leslie Visser became false faces with all the putty that had done on their pusses!

Reaction Score
Amen, brother. THE worst. He also was the announcer for "The Shot". And called that so impressively that they use Bob Heussler's radio call when it gets replayed on TV. And that Sox call really frosts me. He wasn't in the booth as a network guy, he was there as the home team rep. It should have been Ned Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom