Just watched last 1:40 again and | The Boneyard

Just watched last 1:40 again and

Reaction Score
1. on the Phessa rebound her foot was at least 4 inches from being out of bounds when ref called out of bounds.
2. On the CD tie up near halfcourt, when UConn took the ball in after a TO from halfcourt, poor CD was wrestled down instead of a true tie up.

Not trying to be a homer but these 2 calls were very sub par thus creating a tighter finish. The first one was quite egregious.

Anyway its a win so we don't have to experience the anxyst that the poor UCF mens fans had to regarding that last few seconds Duke foul shoot rebound.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
me too.

1554104199589.png

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Best thing to come out of TN. ;););)
I would say that is such a dubious distinction. But Crystal Dangerfield is from Tennessee , so there are at least two good things from the Volunteer State. BTW, I like whiskey but CD is my choice in this contest! :p

Reaction Score
I agree about the two calls that NEforceUConn mentions. The CD call was a foul not a tie ball. It was virtually wrestle mania in action. But the out of bounds on Coliier I consider even worse because the ref was close and couldn't have had a better angle to see it. How in the world could you think her foot went out of bounds? Not even close. The game is fast and I'm convinced these refs often see something that appears to be about to happen and they call it even though it doesn't. Then to save face and pride they get stoic and ate up with pride and will never concede the error they made.

Reaction Score
1... The foot ....replayed it and you are correct

2. Crystal... Maybe she turned then fell... But it did look like a foul... She should have passed the ball when doubled teamed.

Those two calls added to a stressful situation.. Thankfully they did not end the season

Reaction Score
I think that last 1:40 was hard to watch, but good for us. I hope that CD watches the game film (as I'm sure she will) because some of the ball handling wasn't great though I do know it was influenced by some defensive plays by Louisville.

Reaction Score
It occurred to me during that last 1:40 that one or more of the refs may have had a bet on the spread. I thought those two calls were so openly outrageous there must have been a motivation for them to be made.

Reaction Score
It occurred to me during that last 1:40 that one or more of the refs may have had a bet on the spread. I thought those two calls were so openly outrageous there must have been a motivation for them to be made.
You dare to question the integrity of a NCAA WBB referee on the BY??? Unheard of. :rolleyes:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The out of bounds call goes into the Bad Call Hall of Fame.

Usually on a questionable call the replay at least shows what the ref was looking at that lead to the call in real time (like the CD tie-up). Refing is not an easy job sometimes. But calls like the the o.o.b. that are obvious from the cheap seats... BCHF. When no-calls are questioned by coaches refs sometimes say, "if I don't see it, I can't call it." Good fundamental refing strategy, I'd say. Stuff like this is so difficult to understand... also makes me wonder what the actual rules are regarding insisting on a review. If this had happened in front of the UConn bench, maybe that would have happened. Thank God that didn't cost UConn the game.

Congrats Maj Forsberg, you win the coveted Magoo award, and your call is inducted into the BCHF!!

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of WBB on TV and the referees are universally lousy!
They're supposed to be evaluated after every game but either their Mother is doing the evaluation or their best friend but nothing is ever done on the outrageous calls!
Ono was called for a foul where the replay showed at least a foot between opposing players and ONO was moving away from oppt. on the whistle!
Kara Lawson even pointed that out!
Very frustrating!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree with everyone that the out-of-bounds call was outrageously bad, and it's hard to see how that mistake could have been made -- what was the ref looking at?

I think the jump ball call was possibly defensible -- if the defender reached around Crystal's body and got two hands on the ball, and then (since Crystal obviously wasn't going to let go of the ball) used that as leverage to tackle her (without her hands directly touching Crystal's body), then maybe it was a literally correct call. But I agree with the poster who said that there should be a rule that tie-ups can't be done from a position behind the ball handler. The present rules don't say that, however.

Reaction Score
1... The foot ....replayed it and you are correct

2. Crystal... Maybe she turned then fell... But it did look like a foul... She should have passed the ball when doubled teamed.

Those two calls added to a stressful situation.. Thankfully they did not end the season
Big error by Crystal. With the game in-hand and the clock in UConn's favor, she have dribbled away from contact or passed the ball, forcing Louisville to foul or use up clock. She seemed to have assumed Louisville would foul immediately, and she would get to be the hero shooting the foul shots. I give Crystal lots of credit though for preventing Durr from having a monster game. In the Final Four , Crystal will protect the ball better in the closing minutes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The out of bounds call goes into the Bad Call Hall of Fame.

Usually on a questionable call the replay at least shows what the ref was looking at that lead to the call in real time (like the CD tie-up). Refing is not an easy job sometimes. But calls like the the o.o.b. that are obvious from the cheap seats... BCHF. When no-calls are questioned by coaches refs sometimes say, "if I don't see it, I can't call it." Good fundamental refing strategy, I'd say. Stuff like this is so difficult to understand... also makes me wonder what the actual rules are regarding insisting on a review. If this had happened in front of the UConn bench, maybe that would have happened. Thank God that didn't cost UConn the game.

Congrats Maj Forsberg, you win the coveted Magoo award, and your call is inducted into the BCHF!!
We actually have a Boneyard name for bad call. It was the ref that called the Phantom Phoul, an intentional, on Diana at Virginia Tech. @Zorro help with the name?

Finally remembered- June Corteau

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actally, Nan, it was the Phamous Phantom Phlagrant Phoul. I remember it well, as I had driven up from Boone NC. to watch the game. Diana was trailing a breakaway, reached up over the other players head from behind, and swatted the ball away cleanly. No contact whatsoever. As I recall, Junie was somewhat behind the play and called it a Phlagrant. Diana cracked up it was so idiotically funny. Worst call I ever personally witnessed.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Laughable ludicrous line louse up, mebbe, for this one? Or we could just say that she "did a Junie".

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Laughable ludicrous line louse up, mebbe, for this one? Or we could just say that she "did a Junie".
So Pheesa got "Junied" ? I'll take that ! :D

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, in my mind there is yet another PH word, but let it slide~

Reaction Score
When no-calls are questioned by coaches refs sometimes say, "if I don't see it, I can't call it." Good fundamental refing strategy, I'd say. Stuff like this is so difficult to understand... also makes me wonder what the actual rules are regarding insisting on a review.

There are very clear rules as to what can be reviewed, and the great majority of calls are not reviewable. In the final two minutes, they can review OB calls to see who last touched the ball if it is hard to tell. However they cannot ever review a play to see whether or not someone stepped on the line. So that play could not be reviewed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom