Just to point out some Rutgers myths | The Boneyard

Just to point out some Rutgers myths

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I read some of the comments about Rutgers - wish we could have beat Tennessee - but noticed a few myths (some were only in one post). Just a very quick point on a couple of items:

- slumping attendance at the RAC has little to do with the style of play or the record (home record is actually excellent). The average fan that Rutgers attracts is the "casual" fan - really, really expensive tix and gameday costs, a lack of high profile opponents especially on weekends, and a lack of high profile success (i.e. not that we lost 13 games, but didn't go deep in the NCAA) are most likely much more to blame. Plus this season, the area around the RAC is under construction, access is not too good.
- Related, there was a comment about RU not supporting WBB. That's not exactly true, but the truth is that WBB has never been a priority for Rutgers. Also, fundraising has been focused on the stadium upgrades and now a potential RAC upgrade, which obviously will have peripheral benefits.
- Rutgers is really good this season. To someone whatching the game, it is even exciting! But I stand against those RU fans who continue to think we are a top 10 team and those who think we are not good at all. We are competitive with top 10 teams (see Tennessee and Miami), but are not over the hump. Rutgers does have the potential. Note how many freshmen are playing.
- Finally, Rutgers is what it is - a very good program under CVS. I previously argued on the RU board that CVS record at RU is completely consistent with her record previously. I would point out that our record against Tenn is worse than our record against UConn! I would argue that we have been consistently (on average) the 3rd best team in the Big East (some years, second) behind UConn and Notre Dame.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
hey thanks for sharing. i probably like RU a bit more than some fans on the BY, but as a fellow BE team, many UCONN fans also support RU in one way or another. here's to your continued success, and to at some point consistently beating tennessee!!

Reaction Score
To " Friendly RU Fan"

In the 2nd half of the Tenn. game, when RU took the lead, they played very good team offense. If they had played that way the whole game, and a few more threes had gone in, RU would have won the game.

The RU players are getting some good coaching or they have been watching Uconn game films- or both. The players haven't bought into it completely yet; but, if I was an RU fan, I would be greatly encouraged. I tried to post that on your board; but, I couldn't get it to go through.

So, please pass it on, that at least one Uconn fan will no longer say that no one
on the RU coaching staff can teach offense- I just don't know who it is.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was impressed by Rutgers in that game. I truly thought that when Tennessee got a lead that it would get way out of hand. To their credit, the players really played tough. It is nice to see Sykes playing up to her potential. Having Lee on the floor would certainly have made a difference, but then again, so would the presence of Massengail for Tennessee. RU is a tough team to face without your starting PG.

This game on a neutral court with Massengail on the floor would probably have been a 15 point win for Tennessee.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As long as you are here KBridge, any tips for a 1st time visitor to the RAC? I going to the men's game in Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom