Just to add to the CR pot | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just to add to the CR pot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not possible.

The lawsuit is over money, not time.

Maryland has given its notice and will be leaving the ACC. The legal machinations over the exit fee have no bearing on their timetable - it is absolutely a done deal.

Actually Maryland has not given official notice to the ACC that it is leaving the conference. They have until August to do so for the 2014 season. They have announced their intention to joing the Big Ten Conference publicly though, so they are planning to leave, but they've never informed the ACC officially.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Birmingham has 4 or 5 law firms with substantial sports law practices and Saturday I met a new partner in one of them at dinner. Neither his firm nor he have any direct connection with the B1G or UMD. The firm has done some work with the SEC. Here are comments he made.

UMD has gotten a lot of negative response from alumni (not associated with Under Armour)about leaving the ACC.

He hears there is little substantive talk in the background between UMD and the ACC. ACC is convinced it has a winning hand and is playing hard ball. B1G wants it all to go away.

He thinks there is a 25% chance that UMD and B1G have second thoughts if it drags on too long. If so UConn is favorite to go to B1G with RU in place of MD.

There isn't really much to drag on. Maryland will write a check for $52 million when it leaves the ACC. The whole exit fee idea was that of President Loh of Maryland to begin with. If they need to borrow the money from the Big Ten, so be it.

Reaction Score
If you take those 9s out to infinity you have 1. Not almost 1. Not for all intents and purposes 1.

Stated differently, 99.999999...% is identical to 100%.

Asymptotes are not absolutes

caw

Reaction Score
Actually Maryland has not given official notice to the ACC that it is leaving the conference. They have until August to do so for the 2014 season. They have announced their intention to joing the Big Ten Conference publicly though, so they are planning to leave, but they've never informed the ACC officially.

That was understanding as well. UM hasn't filled out the paperwork yet.

Reaction Score
Q: Someone in here a while back made reference to UConn's rather small endowment as compared to schools in the B1G & ACC. Do you all feel that may have contributed in our being snubbed by those conferences so far? Is UConn too poor to be included? That can't be right can it? The athletic department doesn't hemorrhage money like some other schools do. We have a pretty entertaining product on the whole. Even the football team last year, didn't win a lot of games but they were in almost everyone right to the end.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I very much agree that cultural elements of conference realignment are important, which is why I continue to stress that I don't think that the ACC is going to collapse. That being said, UNC's cultural issues extend just as much (if not more) to the SEC. The T-shirt fan base might like the SEC, but the actual alums are about as wine-and-cheese as you can get for a public school. Don't underestimate that factor, as well (particularly since academically-minded university presidents ultimately make the decisions). UNC might be located in the South, but it's NOT an SEC-type school at all. It's a quintessential ACC school (balance of Southern academics), which is why it's going to be hard to pry schools like UNC and UVA out of there (although money still talks big-time). A school like FSU might not care about the perception of SEC academics, but it's a *massive* turn-off for UVA, UNC and GT. That's what makes the tussle between the Big Ten and SEC for UNC (who I firmly believe is #1 on both of their lists as a target that's not named Notre Dame or Texas) pretty interesting.

What do you think the chances are B1G stays at 14 long term? If slim, and ACC schools don't bite, who realistically fills slot 15 and 16?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. You could always create a twitter name and then drop tid bits that way. Just disguise the name.

Something like #johngreen Just leave off the last E.

John Greene is Melogroovy.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was understanding as well. UM hasn't filled out the paperwork yet.
Hmn seems unlikely if lawsuits have been filed, unless it was anticipatory breach.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
26. On November 19, 2012, defendant Maryland conducted a public press
conference, led by Dr. Loh, announcing and discussing its decision to withdraw from the
ACC.

27. Dr. Loh, on behalf of and as the authorized agent of defendant Maryland,
officially provided notice of Maryland's withdrawal to the Commissioner of the ACC on
November 19, 2012.

28. The Big Ten Conference on or about November 19, 2012 published
statements welcoming defendant Maryland to the Big Ten Conference.

Reaction Score
Asymptotes are not absolutes

Repeating decimals are absolutes. .333... is one-third. It doesn't approach one-third; it IS one-third.

I was attempting to point out the mildly interesting and, seemingly, counter intuitive fact that the repeating decimals .999... and 1.000... are the same number.

Reaction Score
You could say "my belief asymptotically approaches 100%" but he is right on the numbers.

Reaction Score
So in this scenario, the ACC is the power conference? I don't buy it. Nor do I buy UNCs allegiance. Its simply posturing. When its all said and done, the new ACC will simply be the old Big East, with the bottom feeders replacing the C7.

Reaction Score
Repeating decimals are absolutes. .333... is one-third. It doesn't approach one-third; it IS one-third.

I was attempting to point out the mildly interesting and, seemingly, counter intuitive fact that the repeating decimals .999... and 1.000... are the same number.

You got me. I'm not a mathematician.

U

UConn9604

Simple way to test it: if x = 0.999... repeating, then 10x = 9.999... repeating.

Everyone agrees that (10x - x) = 9x, right? Well, (10x - x) = (9.999... repeating) - (0.999... repeating) = 9.000

Therefore, 9x = 9.000, or x = 1.000.

RS9999X

Reaction Score

Get into why 3 divided into 1 is good and pure and Trinitarian as .3333 repeats into infinity and why 3 divided into 2 is .6666 repeated into infinity and evil and is the Mark of the Devil.

Reaction Score
He thinks there is a 25% chance that UMD and B1G have second thoughts if it drags on too long. If so UConn is favorite to go to B1G with RU in place of MD.
Kind of funny how people in Birmingham would perceive us better than we perceive ourselves. This board feels like suicide watch.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Simple way to test it: if x = 0.999... repeating, then 10x = 9.999... repeating.

Everyone agrees that (10x - x) = 9x, right? Well, (10x - x) = (9.999... repeating) - (0.999... repeating) = 9.000

Therefore, 9x = 9.000, or x = 1.000.

You introduced rounding errors on the left hand side of the equation. This is important in writing computer algorithms. Choose your storage values wisely. Otherwise you end up with Patriot Missiles in the Gulf War in 1991 and friendly fire accidents

Reaction Score

I didn't get you nor was I trying. Everything you posted was accurate. I just hijacked your contributions and modified your assumptions for my own purposes. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Reaction Score
I didn't get you nor was I trying. Everything you posted was accurate. I just hijacked your contributions and modified your assumptions for my own purposes. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I can see you might think I'm peeved or something. I really don't take this stuff seriously. Just joking around. As to UMd, it would be a crazier story than Manti Teo if they somehow landed back in the ACC.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Good for Lefty. Within 10 years a lot of people will be wondering why college athletics went through all these gyrations. It's a mistake. WVU is already beginning to see what their conf move has wrought, what a drag it has on the student athlete. That's after less than 1 full year of athletics. Is it all really worth a few dollars more? Yeah, some ADs are hemorrhaging money but I think we see that those $ are a drop in the bucket compared to most FBS school's total operating budgets.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Birmingham has 4 or 5 law firms with substantial sports law practices and Saturday I met a new partner in one of them at dinner. Neither his firm nor he have any direct connection with the B1G or UMD. The firm has done some work with the SEC. Here are comments he made.

UMD has gotten a lot of negative response from alumni (not associated with Under Armour)about leaving the ACC.

He hears there is little substantive talk in the background between UMD and the ACC. ACC is convinced it has a winning hand and is playing hard ball. B1G wants it all to go away.

This would be a wet dream come true!!!!

Reaction Score
Good for Lefty. Within 10 years a lot of people will be wondering why college athletics went through all these gyrations. It's a mistake. WVU is already beginning to see what their conf move has wrought, what a drag it has on the student athlete. That's after less than 1 full year of athletics. Is it all really worth a few dollars more? Yeah, some ADs are hemorrhaging money but I think we see that those $ are a drop in the bucket compared to most FBS school's total operating budgets.

A mistake for whom though. These are colleges. It's only a mistake for athletics, not for academics. Maryland was bleeding and was being subsidized heavily by the academic side. When people complain about the lack of academic integrity to all this, I rarely hear them take this into account. This isn't directed at you but at the media talking heads affiliated with sports. Almost no one points this out because almost no one ever mentions that athletics is heavily subsidized almost everywhere, and that is what's dictating all the changes.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

I completely agree. Eventually, I think conferences will somehow migrate back to more regional affiliations. Most likely with regional divisions within 4 16 or 20 team major conferences. The current set up is just silly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom