Just some thoughts | The Boneyard

Just some thoughts

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The seniors need playtime to be ready for the WNBA. The freshman and sophs need minutes to be ready to step into the shoes of those graduating and be ready for big minutes next season. I dont see a 6-7 getting playtime this season. I see alot of players seeing time. A couple of things to think about. The biggest nitemare will be when Liv graduates Dorka goes pro leaving UConn with Piath and Amari both with alot of Inexperience. Next the guards. Hey guards do alot of scoring. When you look at past UConn teams Lobo Walters Tina Stewie were bigs that scored and played great BB. Most teams have bigs to protect the basket, rebound and do some scoring. Most teams dont have a dominate big who they depend on to score. So all this talk about bigs imo you can throw out the window when comparing them to guards and wings because in WCBB guards and wings lead the scoring attack.

For UConn this season we have a terrific passing team. We will get the ball to our bigs and they will score however our guards and wings will do much of the scoring and they will draw much of the attention from defenses. Do the numbers. UConn has the players and depth to score imo close to 100 pts a game. With that said I would think Geno would pull his starters and play everybody else. There arent to many teams that can keep up with UConn this season. The major reason is because we have so many guards who can score alot of points and more importantly who are unselfish. We dont need Liv Dorka Edwards or any other big to score 15+ points because we have perimeter players to do that, but they will score double digits only because of our perimeter ability that must be guarded. We have a huge Ariel attack with depth that must be defended leaving the middle open enough for our bigs to play one on one . If defenses double down on our bigs they kick the ball outside and bingo.

Ive heard all the hoopla about Azzi. Ive also heard in the USA games she didnt shine like many expected. Well 2 thoughts. One the coaches may had something to say about that and 2 a team player is not going to stand out on an All American team unless they hog the ball or theyre not feeling well. Hey Geno is in control and I need not say much more. Azzi didnt become a generational player in one season. It took time over many seasons and now shes on a team loaded with talent and with one of her best friends. Relax be patient and watch the show because by March this UConn Team is going to be really good.

Reaction Score
The seniors need playtime to be ready for the WNBA. The freshman and sophs need minutes to be ready to step into the shoes of those graduating and be ready for big minutes next season. I dont see a 6-7 getting playtime this season. I see alot of players seeing time. A couple of things to think about. The biggest nitemare will be when Liv graduates Dorka goes pro leaving UConn with Piath and Amari both with alot of Inexperience. Next the guards. Hey guards do alot of scoring. When you look at past UConn teams Lobo Walters Tina Stewie were bigs that scored and played great BB. Most teams have bigs to protect the basket, rebound and do some scoring. Most teams dont have a dominate big who they depend on to score. So all this talk about bigs imo you can throw out the window when comparing them to guards and wings because in WCBB guards and wings lead the scoring attack.

For UConn this season we have a terrific passing team. We will get the ball to our bigs and they will score however our guards and wings will do much of the scoring and they will draw much of the attention from defenses. Do the numbers. UConn has the players and depth to score imo close to 100 pts a game. With that said I would think Geno would pull his starters and play everybody else. There arent to many teams that can keep up with UConn this season. The major reason is because we have so many guards who can score alot of points and more importantly who are unselfish. We dont need Liv Dorka Edwards or any other big to score 15+ points because we have perimeter players to do that, but they will score double digits only because of our perimeter ability that must be guarded. We have a huge Ariel attack with depth that must be defended leaving the middle open enough for our bigs to play one on one . If defenses double down on our bigs they kick the ball outside and bingo.

Ive heard all the hoopla about Azzi. Ive also heard in the USA games she didnt shine like many expected. Well 2 thoughts. One the coaches may had something to say about that and 2 a team player is not going to stand out on an All American team unless they hog the ball or theyre not feeling well. Hey Geno is in control and I need not say much more. Azzi didnt become a generational player in one season. It took time over many seasons and now shes on a team loaded with talent and with one of her best friends. Relax be patient and watch the show because by March this UConn Team is going to be really good.

leaving UConn with Piath and Amari
and Edwards
and Griffin
and Brady
and Patterson
and maybe another portal surprise?

Actually I'm shocked that Tony is seeing dark clouds down the road.

I suspect that the seniors have already had a talk with the coaches about giving them the necessary exposure for the W along with the coaches' need to play the best players whomever they may be. I think a ring would mean a lot more to the seniors than any AA prize.

Reaction Score
Alydar,

I know it’s Tonyc, but if these are his “dark clouds”, I’ll take it:cool:
“Hey Geno is in control and I need not say much more. Azzi didnt become a generational player in one season. It took time over many seasons and now shes on a team loaded with talent and with one of her best friends. Relax be patient and watch the show because by March this UConn Team is going to be really good.”

Reaction Score
and Edwards
and Griffin
and Brady
and Patterson
and maybe another portal surprise?

Actually I'm shocked that Tony is seeing dark clouds down the road.

I suspect that the seniors have already had a talk with the coaches about giving them the necessary exposure for the W along with the coaches' need to play the best players whomever they may be. I think a ring would mean a lot more to the seniors than any AA prize.
I was going to add that about the portal as well. I personally don’t feel too worried about the graduating seniors. I think Dorka will stay and if not we have enough quality players to be ok and have the possibility to add quality transfers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Appreciate the enthusiasm as always @Tonyc. Just a couple challenges to a few of your numbers and thoughts.
UCONN is not going to average anywhere close to 100 PPG. UCONN averaged 81.9 PPG last year and that was good enough for 6th in the nation. Scoring is not an issue for UCONN, scoring balance is. @BostonBay was the first to pose this theory and I happen to agree. We need additional scoring from the bigs especially in close game because without it the defense is going to be stacked toward our perimeter players who might be vulnerable to an off shooting night. Part of that balance theory also works out from math/numbers stand point. Aaliyah Edwards was the most accurate shooter in college Basketball last year yet you will not see Aaliyah's name among the NCAA FG % leaders. Why? Because she did not get enough shots to qualify for the NCAA leadership. Shame on us! I'm not in favor of giving our perimeter players or guards (not named Paige or Azzi) more shots while Aaliyah is starving for shots.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
DE51BA0B-BE23-4E35-9D39-D0B433FFEADF.jpeg

And then a binky and a nap.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was going to add that about the portal as well. I personally don’t feel too worried about the graduating seniors. I think Dorka will stay and if not we have enough quality players to be ok and have the possibility to add quality transfers.
Evina, Christyn, or Liv would have to decide to return for their final year of eligibility (Highly unlikely) and Dorka would have to return (More Likely) + All other players return (Less likely) + Kiki would have to sign (optimistically likely) in order for UCONN to not have room on the roster to sign a player from the transfer portal .
What is also highly unlikely is that the transfer portal is going to produce post players as good as Ice Brady and Ayana Patterson.

Reaction Score

But not a 6'5"+ among my list and that will make some very nervous. Not me. I like the idea of getting both Brady and Patterson into games quickly. Patterson could become a block shot artist. She can already elevate higher than any 6'5" player I have seen and she has the arm span too. Brady looks like she can match Edwards for strength inside and can extend her shot outside.

Reaction Score
Evina, Christyn, or Liv would have to decide to return for their final year of eligibility (Highly unlikely) and Dorka would have to return (More Likely) + All other players return (Less likely) + Kiki would have to sign (optimistically likely) in order for UCONN to not have room on the roster to sign a player from the transfer portal .
What is also highly unlikely is that the transfer portal is going to produce post players as good as Ice Brady and Ayana Patterson.

But not a 6'5"+ among my list and that will make some very nervous. Not me. I like the idea of getting both Brady and Patterson into games quickly. Patterson could become a block shot artist. She can already elevate higher than any 6'5" player I have seen and she has the arm span too. Brady looks like she can match Edwards for strength inside and can extend her shot outside.

Totally agree and ideally they both immediately can play some sort of meaningful minutes in their freshman year. Just another option to think about, if any great options enter into the portal.

Reaction Score
You need a certain degree of balance. Paige's shooting as well as Evina's decline of play, and Nika's injury impacted the perimeter play. Not enough capable inside scoring last year to offset the perimeter.

As for 2022- that's all about fans that think about the next year. The coaches won't waste one second with that thought in 2021. Not relevant. Nobody is going to get time because of a thought for next year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Unless after one year Betts finally sees the light.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom