Just some thoughts to where we're at | The Boneyard

Just some thoughts to where we're at

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We've seen some top ranked teams struggle and we've seen some top ranked teams loose. We've seen why they struggle and why they lost. We havent played a game yet either. With our schedule melted down by not playing LVille and Miss St I like it alot. We had a drawback of a 2 week layoff because of the virus. It may have been a blessing giving us a little bit more time to get our freshman ready. How will that affect us, we dont know and wont know until UMass Lowell and we will have a better idea after our first 3-4 games.

What we do know is we have an experienced and disiplined post player in ONO. We also have good ball handlers and good passers which leads to less turnovers. We have good outside shooters that cant be left alone. What we need to be careful of is ONO in foul trouble. One other thing to watch out for is underclassman mistakes which we have 5 games to work on. IMO we are good enough to overcome those freshan mistakes. With that said we have 5 games to have Edwards and Gabriel get ready just in case ONO gets in foul trouble. Im gonna guess that Paige and Nika play the point and see a good amount of minutes. Evina, and this is just a guess will not be able to go full throttle because of her injury and that means she shares time with Griff Paige and Nika.

This will be a very mentally tuff, disciplied, never give up team. These first 5 games will get us ready for Baylor in January. I have to wonder if Geno gets a game between Christmas and the Baylor game just as a warm up after the holidays. This team has it all,... except it lacks alot of expereince which will be helped by our first 5 games. How long before we're ready will depend on how long it takes for us to get ready. Im hoping those first 5 games does it.

Im not going to compare Paige Nika and Edwards to other freshman because they havent played a game yet. UConn plays team ball not dependent on one player but dependent on a team effort. We need to be patient. We are too good to loose in December. Baylor is struggleing. Will they be able to get it together in January?????

So this coming weekend we get to see the best team in America play and we get an idea of where we're at. Follow that up with a couple of games that will bring some reality, to show us where we're at. I like this team alot and even more over the next 4 years. We will only get better of the next few months as we reach our potential and better over the next few years as we reach even a higher potential.

Hey guys and for those of you who like to look ahead. We have a monster class that can shoot lights out this season and another one coming in next season and they can handle the ball too.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I will be a whole lot happier as soon as the Fox Sports streaming app shows the game on their schedule. As of this afternoon, I checked the app on my Android phone and the app on my Roku and no scheduling information was showing up.
After someone posted on a BY thread that the reviews of the Fox Sports app were not favorable, I guess that might include their schedule for future events. :(

BTW I am really, really excited about who the starting 5 will be. It is not about the debate on who will take the floor but the ANTICIPATION!!!!

Reaction Score
The only thing UConn lacks to start the season is seniors, or else multiple players with multiple years playing together. Only the duo of ONO-Williams has more than one season playing together. All the delays and timeouts will favor teams loaded with players who know each other's games intimately and who can quickly adapt to coach's game plans.
If Sat's game is anything like some of the other total miss-matches I'll wait a few more games before making any judgements.
And those 5 games could turn into 2 or 3 the way things are going. :(

Reaction Score
the only thing that I'm sure of for the coming season is that Paige Bueckers will do things on the basketball court that will make Geno shake his head and smile.....................good things and bad but far more good.............:)

Reaction Score
We've seen some top ranked teams struggle and we've seen some top ranked teams loose. We've seen why they struggle and why they lost. We havent played a game yet either. With our schedule melted down by not playing LVille and Miss St I like it alot. We had a drawback of a 2 week layoff because of the virus. It may have been a blessing giving us a little bit more time to get our freshman ready. How will that affect us, we dont know and wont know until UMass Lowell and we will have a better idea after our first 3-4 games.

What we do know is we have an experienced and disiplined post player in ONO. We also have good ball handlers and good passers which leads to less turnovers. We have good outside shooters that cant be left alone. What we need to be careful of is ONO in foul trouble. One other thing to watch out for is underclassman mistakes which we have 5 games to work on. IMO we are good enough to overcome those freshan mistakes. With that said we have 5 games to have Edwards and Gabriel get ready just in case ONO gets in foul trouble. Im gonna guess that Paige and Nika play the point and see a good amount of minutes. Evina, and this is just a guess will not be able to go full throttle because of her injury and that means she shares time with Griff Paige and Nika.

This will be a very mentally tuff, disciplied, never give up team. These first 5 games will get us ready for Baylor in January. I have to wonder if Geno gets a game between Christmas and the Baylor game just as a warm up after the holidays. This team has it all,... except it lacks alot of expereince which will be helped by our first 5 games. How long before we're ready will depend on how long it takes for us to get ready. Im hoping those first 5 games does it.

Im not going to compare Paige Nika and Edwards to other freshman because they havent played a game yet. UConn plays team ball not dependent on one player but dependent on a team effort. We need to be patient. We are too good to loose in December. Baylor is struggleing. Will they be able to get it together in January?????

So this coming weekend we get to see the best team in America play and we get an idea of where we're at. Follow that up with a couple of games that will bring some reality, to show us where we're at. I like this team alot and even more over the next 4 years. We will only get better of the next few months as we reach our potential and better over the next few years as we reach even a higher potential.

Hey guys and for those of you who like to look ahead. We have a monster class that can shoot lights out this season and another one coming in next season and they can handle the ball too.
You really think Gabriel will be ready in 5 games? BTW I have a slighty used telescope from Puerto Rico I'd like to sell..

Reaction Score
I guess this means that their are newer protocols allowing teams to negative test out of isolation??

I have heard from a reliable source close to the program that Coach Auriemma was not happy after the first positive test and has since limited his players interactions with support staff. Apparently, the only in person interactions are occurring with the team, coaching staff, and trainer. Any interactions with tutors, academic advisement staff, video coordinators, or basketball ops staff is being done strictly online. This is a very smart move by Coach Auriemma to limit the players to possible exposure.

Reaction Score

The ONLY thing that is going to get freshman ready to play is game reps, I fail to see how a loss of those can be a benefit in any way. I also don't understand why so many are doubting the health of Westbrook? She has been fully cleared since June, that was 6 months ago and there has been no reporting of any issues for her. In August she admitted she "has her good days and bad days" and that she was "not 100% physically ready yet" but that is to be expected for any player just a couple months into their comeback. At this point I am willing to bet that Westbrook is 100% healthy, will be one of the 5 starters. and looked to for a large chunk of minutes every game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Until I see the team play a few games I'll refrain from making any predictions because 2020 has been so damn irregular making 2021 completely unpredictable. It's probable too easy to say this is still basketball and we are UCONN with the best team and Geno etc. but you never know. These are among the most highly skilled WBB on the planet who are used to routine and structure, most of which has been completely shattered. Living in pods is bound to have an impact on the overall team chemistry that UCONN prides itself on. Not having a crowd in the area will undoubtedly hurt UCONN because it is something that most other teams are not used to when playing. The calendar and probably the players bodies are completely out of sync as compared to a normal UCONN WBB season. Living in a pseudo bubble can't be easy for these player some of who are so far a way from home. Christmas is coming- Normally that would me a few days post exams to sneak home and get a few home cooked meals.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Pet peeve of mine, ending a sentence with “at”. Like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.
How about “Just some thoughts to where we are” instead?
(I’ve been hibernating inside too long)
Probably. :eek: My personal pet peeve is I don't like when people critique @Tonyc for grammar whether it be his propensity for long paragraphs or ending a sentence with a preposition. We all have our assigned roles to play and he is as our eternal optimist. 2020 demands more optimism, so please don't dampen ours.:D

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A team that "never gives up"; that's most important to me. In the recent past, I believe that we got behind (in our loses to good teams) and didn't respond well. Great UConn teams never expect to lose, and never stop playing as if they will. The Husky tradition is winning; that's who we are: we win.

Reaction Score
Cuango - as an admirer of the Queen’s English, and one who attempts to use it as precisely as possible, I nevertheless commend your defense (convoluted or not) of our esteemed colleague, Tony C as well as that of CocoHuskey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably. :eek: My personal pet peeve is I don't like when people critique @Tonyc for grammar whether it be his propensity for long paragraphs or ending a sentence with a preposition. We all have our assigned roles to play and his is as our eternal optimist. 2020 demands more optimism, so please don't dampen ours.:D

Hey, Tonyc is using paragraphs now. There's no limit as to what's possible. :rolleyes:

May his optimism never die.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Cueango - as an admirer of the Queen’s English, and one who attempts to use it as precisely as possible, I nevertheless commend your defense (convoluted or not) of our esteemed colleague, Tony C as well as that of CocoHuskey.
Well, first off, it was Corndog who was obnoxious enough to post about TonyC's writing, not Cuango vs. "Cueango" You do see the irony there, right?

Second, I would like to hear @CocoHusky and @Charliebball view on this, While watching the Arkansas-Baylor game where Arkansas had 4 guards on the floor who could shoot, slash, drive and pass, I was thinking they were a "Poor-man's" UConn as our guards have better pedigree and our "Big" is unparalleled to the Arkansas bigs.

This type of game can be very rough on opposing teams like Baylor, SC, NC State, Louisville. I would be curious to see us match up against both Oregon and Stanford. Overall though, love the perspective and hope TonyC brings us in these waning days until we can see our own play.

Keep posting @Tonyc , gammar errors and all! See what I did there? :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The ONLY thing that is going to get freshman ready to play is game reps, I fail to see how a loss of those can be a benefit in any way. I also don't understand why so many are doubting the health of Westbrook? She has been fully cleared since June, that was 6 months ago and there has been no reporting of any issues for her. In August she admitted she "has her good days and bad days" and that she was "not 100% physically ready yet" but that is to be expected for any player just a couple months into their comeback. At this point I am willing to bet that Westbrook is 100% healthy, will be one of the 5 starters. and looked to for a large chunk of minutes every game.
Some doubt Westbrook because she has not played in a year and she had surgery. Well, Sedona Prince had a major injury and had not played a minute of D1 basketball plus she sat out two years and she is having an impressive start to this season. I believe Westbrook will also play well and eventually overcome her injuries. Further, she has played two seasons of high major D1 basketball. If she is indeed anywhere close to her old self, UConn will have some of the best guards in WCBB. Any team that plays a zone against them may get burned. She is a player!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pet peeve of mine, ending a sentence with “at”. Like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.
As a lifelong passionate student and observer of language, I would posit that "where we're at" carries its own unique connotative meaning, different from "where we are", and also occupies a more defined space on the informal side of the register continuum, which lends itself to greater rhetorical effect in the proper context. :)

For my fellow geeks, here's a fantastic blog post on this very topic:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, first off, it was Corndog who was obnoxious enough to post about TonyC's writing, not Cuango vs. "Cueango" You do see the irony there, right?

Second, I would like to hear @CocoHusky and @Charliebball view on this, While watching the Arkansas-Baylor game where Arkansas had 4 guards on the floor who could shoot, slash, drive and pass, I was thinking they were a "Poor-man's" UConn as our guards have better pedigree and our "Big" is unparalleled to the Arkansas bigs.

This type of game can be very rough on opposing teams like Baylor, SC, NC State, Louisville. I would be curious to see us match up against both Oregon and Stanford. Overall though, love the perspective and hope TonyC brings us in these waning days until we can see our own play.

Keep posting @Tonyc , gammar errors and all! See what I did there? :rolleyes:
I fully expect to see a lot of 4 guard lineup this year and next. The down side of this is you might lose some rebounding battles and has been discussed previously, it might also make UCONN susceptible on a cold shooting night. 4 guards or 3 guards though, what will propel UCONN to a championship this year or next is the ability of Paige to get easy shot for herself and her teammates. Two bench marks why I think Paige can do this 1) U19 World Cup from 2019 where she didn't shoot the ball particular well but dominated (MVP) the tournament with her passing. 2) I also look at the 1/2 court efficiency of (Senior) Sabrina Ionescu.
What Paige will need is a Robin ( Preferably a big) that she play two man game with while the other guards space the floor shot ready.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

100% agree with this post, especially the BOLD part!! With a mid-December start, we're behind everybody. We've got to play catch up, and fast!!! I hope everyone realizes that after facing the River Hawks, the Huskies are scheduled to play four Big East games in eight days — Dec. 15 against Butler at Gampel Pavilion, Dec. 17 at Seton Hall, Dec. 19 versus Xavier at Gampel Pavilion, and Dec. 22 at Villanova.

Xavier, however, has seen its games last Friday against Creighton, last Sunday versus DePaul, and this Thursday against crosstown rival Cincinnati postponed due to a COVID-19 issue. The Muskateers (1-0) are scheduled to host Wofford Sunday and visit Valparaiso Dec. 16 before coming to Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Conndog, It just shows where your mind is at.

Reaction Score
I have heard from a reliable source close to the program that Coach Auriemma was not happy after the first positive test and has since limited his players interactions with support staff. Apparently, the only in person interactions are occurring with the team, coaching staff, and trainer. Any interactions with tutors, academic advisement staff, video coordinators, or basketball ops staff is being done strictly online. This is a very smart move by Coach Auriemma to limit the players to possible exposure.
I just love those "reliable sources". They are always telling my the best ways to invest. So far Radio Shack and Eight Track Tapes havn't payed off too well.

Reaction Score
DefenseBB - yes, the irony is exquisite. You, Cuango and the entire Boneyard have my abject and contrite apologies. I overrode auto-correct twice on Cuango’s handle but did not check that it held the second time as Karen was pulling me out of the house to go for a walk around the block. It is 72 and sunny here in Santa Cruz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom