Just some thoughts on where we're at | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just some thoughts on where we're at

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I am not sure I can agree with this... The addition of Aubrey Griffin back into the line-up instantly improves our athleticism. Once Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme find their rhythm and learn to play within the UConn system...more options we become available. Ball denial on Boston, more pressure on SC guards will provide less opportunities for SC bigs to demonstrate their advantage. Improvement by our bigs, namely Dorka and DeBerry will also minimize their inside advantage.

Aubrey was missed, but with no inside game on the offensive end SC can just use its athletes to swarm and harass Paige and Azzi. And UConn doesn't have the type of perimeter defense to put a lot of pressure on opposing guards. DeBerry will never see the floor in any game against SC this year. Not sure what's up with Juhasz but she has to play up to her pedigree or UConn has little chance.

Staley told the tale after the game. Once SC went physical on the perimeter it was over.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The inside, rebounding, and athleticism disadvantages aren't going to change.
As I've said in other threads, these disadvantages (while very real) are almost entirely attributable to one person: Aliyah Boston. She played a supreme game on Monday, but SC's other post players did not distinguish themselves any more than UConn's post players. You can see that by looking at their stats.

Obviously that suggests an avenue for planning UConn's strategy for the January game. It should be possible to contain one player, no matter how talented she is. Past UConn teams have been able to get wins against teams that had Brittney Griner, Sylvia Fowles, and A'ja Wilson, even though UConn had no single player (and sometimes no combination of forwards) who had comparable size or individual talent. Is Boston already better than Griner or Fowles? I doubt that.

Geno's normal strategy against dominant post players is a combination of preventing them from posting up close to the basket, and preventing entry passes to them. Of course, the defense also has to box out the player to prevent her from getting a huge number of offensive rebounds -- and that is mainly what was not occurring in Monday's game.

Those issues should be fixable with sufficient practice time.

Of equal importance is getting offense from UConn forwards, including 15-footers. That also wasn't happening at an adequate percentage on Monday. That may be harder to fix.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Does UConn win the Baylor game if Richards doesn't get hurt?

I’ve been working so haven’t watched the game but which SC guards are comparable to Richards and Carrington? When I think of SC’s guards I think of Henderson and Cooke who are not exactly big, physical guards. I’m confused.

Reaction Score
3rd quarter the team leader, Paige, got frustrated by bad calls against her and non calls. She was run over non call, which led to a SC basket, argued with ref lost focus led to back to back inbounds play turnovers and consecutive SC baskets. Why is Boston afforded star calls?
I don't know. It was like Boston was Michael Jordan out there as Magic used to define playing with him. No fouls by her and everyone near her fouls her. She charged two more times and not one was called. She pushed from behind on rebounds and no calls.

It was a game of energy and the lack thereof. Why our starters played the minutes they did against Minnesota was a mystery to me. It looked to me a lot like our FF miscues these last years. I am worried.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I’ve been working so haven’t watched the game but which SC guards are comparable to Richards and Carrington? When I think of SC’s guards I think of Henderson and Cooke who are not exactly big, physical guards. I’m confused.

Don't forget Beal, Saxton, and Amihere who all either defend guards or come out to defend them at times.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
? Nika missed the whole game, by then she was starting and a spark. Does UConn lose to Arizona with a healthy Nika?

Probably. UConn's offense was awful against Arizona and offense isn't Nika's strong suit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Don't forget Beal, Saxton, and Amihere who all either defend guards or come out to defend them at times.

Beal yes but the other two make no sense to me. I'll have to watch the game. I can understand SC's guards being aggressive defensively (i.e., ball pressure) because they have post players to protect the rim, but Henderson and Cooke -- who played 38 and 33 minutes respectively -- are small guards who aren't known for their physicality. UConn's guards are bigger.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Beal yes but the other two make no sense to me. I'll have to watch the game. I can understand SC's guards being aggressive defensively (i.e., ball pressure) because they have post players to protect the rim, but Henderson and Cooke -- who played 38 and 33 minutes respectively -- are small guards who aren't known for their physicality. UConn's guards are bigger.

Bigger yes, but which group is more aggressive on defense isn't a mystery. CW finally started playing aggressive defense late last year which was noticeable to everyone, but that hasn't continued this season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Bigger yes, but which group is more aggressive on defense isn't a mystery. CW finally started playing aggressive defense late last year which was noticeable to everyone, but that hasn't continued this season.
That makes more sense than describing the difference as one of physicality. Baylor's guards last year were bigger, stronger, more physical and better defenders than South Carolina's guards and UConn's guards held their own in the E8 game. South Carolina's guards can put a lot of pressure on the perimeter because they have the length and defensive ability in the post to protect the basket but their still small and not especially physical. The fact that UConn's guards allowed SC's small guards to be so disruptive is a problem but something that is fixable.

How UConn's guards are currently playing defensively is a different discussion than what was able to shut down UConn's offense in the 4th quarter. The latter is what I thought was being discussed here.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That makes more sense than describing the difference as one of physicality. Baylor's guards last year were bigger, stronger, more physical and better defenders than South Carolina's guards and UConn's guards held their own in the E8 game. South Carolina's guards can put a lot of pressure on the perimeter because they have the length and defensive ability in the post to protect the basket but their still small and not especially physical. The fact that UConn's guards allowed SC's small guards to be so disruptive is a problem but something that is fixable.

How UConn's guards are currently playing defensively is a different discussion than what was able to shut down UConn's offense in the 4th quarter. The latter is what I thought was being discussed here.

When I say physical I don't mean they were throwing UConn players around. But they risk fouls playing tight, intense defense most of the time. It's a strategy I don't see UConn having an answer for while being at such a disadvantage inside.

Reaction Score
UCONN will be fine. Now the team and coaches understand what their top level competition is and have great film to study and reference going forward. South Carolina is a fine defensive team in the paint and at the perimeter. South Carolina guards/wings are excellent defenders individually and as a team. I would argue South Carolina are a better defensive team than they are an offensive team. Much like the great UCONN teams of the past.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
We are in my opinion exactly where I thought we would be. It used to be there was UConn and then there was everyone else. The difference between the number one rated team in America and everyone else was stark... Now, South Carolina can claim the mantel of the number one team in America...and, unfortunately then there is everyone else.

Keep in mind for almost three-quarters of the game UConn did a good job staying with South Carolina. Did the three games in three days get to UConn...possibly but, is it an excuse when 18 to 22 year olds who play three games in three days to get tired...I suppose so...however, they are 18 - 22 year old kids who are in D-1 shape and they are the number two team in the country...they aren't supposed to get gassed. So, it is obvious that they have work to do. Am I worried? No...I am not in the least worried. In fact, I am damn glad that this happened in November. It gives these kids an honest assessment of where they are at and where they need to go.

Paige is great! She makes it look easy at times but, she is human and she needs others to step up to take the pressure off of her. We have the talent and we have it in abundance. What we also have is a lot of youth...yes, we have seniors but, the junior class is miniscule and with Aubrey on the injured list...it is essentially non-existent. So, we have Freshmen and Sophomores and then we have Seniors. The Seniors need to show up...they must show their leadership...Christyn, Olivia and Evina need to be more vocal and need to be more in charge. They need to lead the team....deferring to Paige in my opinion is a cop out.

Our post play has been exposed...before anyone jumps on Olivia she played a damn decent game today...unfortunately, she got out-played by Boston whose supporting cast made it easy for her to shine. Our other post players need to step up. Aliyah Edwards seems to be a step behind last year...maybe there is an injury that isn't being talked about, Dorka is a great acquisition but she isn't up to UConn speed yet...she will improve as the season moves along. DeBerry and Paith Gabriele are still a "work in progress". And, Aubrey Griffin's athleticism is absolutely missed in a game like this.

Then we get to our front court...defensively so far this year we are giving up way too many threes. We simply are not getting out on the perimeter and when we do...our defense isn't good enough to keep the quick guards from other teams in front of us...they are getting by and penetrating to the basket. So, in order to hide that weakness we are sagging off the three point shooters and the last two games before South Carolina (South Florida, Arkansas and to some degree Minnesota) made us pay from three. As much as we need to improve our defense we need to improve our offense even more. Don't get me wrong, we have more fire power than we have had in years...we saw a glimpse of it from Azzi Fudd against USF. And, we have seen Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook go off in other games. We know Nika and Ducharme are capable of knocking down threes. So, the fire power is there but, we are not running off screens, creating shooting opportunities for our shooters...we have a lot of work to do in helping to get our shooters free.

Finally, we got exposed in the 4th quarter as not being able to handle extreme pressure...kudos to Dawn Staley and South Carolina for putting the pressure on UConn and holding them to only 3 points in the fourth...when was the last time you saw a UConn Women's team held to 3 points in a quarter.

I have no doubt that this team will improve, they will work hard up to the holidays...we will see the obligatory rust the first game back from the holiday vacation. Then I believe you will see incredible growth from this team through the second half of January and through February. Come March...UConn will be tournament ready. Hopefully, we will not get hit by the injury bug and will be at full strength for the Tournament. We also can't assume that South Carolina, Maryland, Stamford and others would similarly improve. We just have to keep the faith...work hard and it will pay off. It isn't like we don't have one of the most talented group of girls we have ever had....we certainly do have that.
South Carolina played three games in three days also. In fact......so did USF and Oregon.

Reaction Score
The 1st 4 games exposed a weakness. That's what early games are supposed to do. They have 10 days to "correct" it before Seton Hall. If Seton Hall wins the rebound battle on 12/3, then maybe the issue can't be fixed. It will still be a very good season, but also a very frustrating one if the rebounding issue cannot be fixed.

Reaction Score
Successful rebounding is- assuming comparable physical stature- the result of desire, determination, toughness. NOTHING ELSE.

Our crap rebounding speaks volumes, imo.
Truer basketball words were never spoken. All these “this can be fixed” posts are wishful thinking unless the players decide to get “dirty.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I really don't know. Unlike you, I do not presume to know speculative outcome...

If you don't speculate why bring up the Baylor game from last year when talking about this team's issues against South Carolina?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
South Carolina played three games in three days also. In fact......so did USF and Oregon.
I did say that claiming that UConn played three games in three days as a reason for them being gassed was "an excuse". I also said they are 18-22 year old division one athletes and they should be in shape. Additionally, in exchange for their stellar, elite play they get a free education...so, it is incumbent upon them to get and stay in shape. I totally agree 3 games in 3 days for elite, division one players is no excuse.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Successful rebounding is- assuming comparable physical stature- the result of desire, determination, toughness. NOTHING ELSE.

Our crap rebounding speaks volumes, imo.
Agree...Morgan Tuck comes to mind...undersized but a rebounding machine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Great post. The early loss may actually help the Huskies get motivated to work harder to keep up with SC. It's a long season, there's no doubt we will up our game by March.
My issue with this line of thinking is that there were 3 UCONN players (Evina, Christyn & Liv )who specifically told us after the Arizona loss that this season was supposed to be one of “redemption”. Liv showed some good defense, the other two came up way short. This was largest margin of defeat for UCONN WBB since LSU in 2007.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom