Just Seem Like Pettiness to me Coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Just Seem Like Pettiness to me Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Like others, I have no problem with the OP expressing and defending an opinion. My problem is that his/her opinion, as stated in the original post is vague in the extreme. I had no idea what the concern was. Candidly, I still don't. S/he mentions "Duncanville" as if that might explain something. To me at least, it doesn't. I have no idea what Duncanville is and therefore nothing was clarified.

The problem with vagueness and ambiguity is they lead to assumptions and that leads to trouble. This thread would probably have been about 10 posts long with most in agreement if we all knew what the hell s/he was talking about.
There was another very long post on Duncanville don't know exactly where but you can certainly do a board search..

Here is a link to the Article online

If you care to read up on it..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the Best Back-court stuff, wasn't it last year that SC was pushing the 'Best Front-court' stuff? I think that stuff is just fluff that Geno likes to make fun of, and doesn't effect decisions one way or another.
And he does a little subtle promoting of his own players from time to time - which we all know is fully justified :rolleyes:, but ....

Reaction Score
I'm all for more civility. This particular subject-renewal of the TN rivalry comes up occasionally I believe the last thread had to be locked and this one maybe heading for the same. Here is a my translation of that offending phrase: You don't understand what TN tried to do to us. You don't understand how many innocent people got hurt in the process. Because if you understand our hurt there is no way you would want anything but the worst for all things TN. In fact it's not that you don't understand you don't even want to take the time to find out what really happened. How could you even thinking about going to another block party when it was the next door neighbor who tried to burn down your house. There is real pain wrapped up in those offending words and words like "rise above" or "let it go", "high road" or "be the better man" only inflame. My advice is don't inflame, let the hurt people manage their own pain.

Oh, but I do understand. Contrary to what you might think, I was a UConn fan at the time and was as outraged as anyone here. At least I thought I was, although seeing people's comments now, maybe some out-outraged me at the time and I was just too upset to notice.

Anyway.....

Many of the people at TN who caused that issue are gone. Hell, the principal instigator is dead. Surely no one suspects that Holly is responsible for the attacks on UConn during the Maya fiasco. Maybe the problem is that folks here have taken on the mantle of hurt for "poor Maya" and "poor Maya's mom" and "Poor Geno" and "Poor UConn WCBB," and I am not sure that any of those personages asked you to store up decades of hurt on their behalf.

But what I remember from that era was the pleasure of watching a beautiful, highly skilled and intelligent young women become the absolute best she could be at her chosen sport. I remember seeing her mother enjoying all the special moments that Maya brought to the court. I remember a coach, younger then, celebrating championships earned by a team that played the way he taught them. I remember a WCBB program that even then was celebrated as one of the best and was well on its way to being the only game in town. In other words, last time, I checked, all four, having taken the high road throughout the ensuing years, are doing wonderfully. (Wait. Can't say that for sure about Maya's mom, since I don't know her, but I have no reason to think otherwise).

And know this: I watch WCBB and enjoy it when TN loses. I hope they make it to the Final Four so UConn can demolish them. I have met some of their fans and based on the way they treat UCOnn fans, the ones I have met are a$$h@&*s. But I, for one, will never want "anything but the worst of all things" for that university or its people. Sorry, but at this point in my life, I just cannot work up enough hate for anyone or anything to justify saying that.

Reaction Score
The answer to that one is simple: People are entitled to their opinions. I happen to think that renewal of the UConn-TN series would be good for WCBB. Geno disagrees, and so do many on this board. I'm sorry if THAT makes someone sick, but it's my opinion. I am entitled to it, and unless the purpose of the Boneyard changes in the future, I am entitled to express it. I respect those who disagree with me, and hope they will respect me. As to the OP's title, I disagree that it's petty, but if the OP thinks that's what it is, that s/he has a right to express it. There is a real difference between one person observing that a third party (in this case, Geno) is being petty, and a second party saying the first party makes him/her sick. One is an obser vation that may or may not be true and the other is a potentially hurtful comment designed to insult a fellow BYer.

Please remember that the OP specifically mentioned Syracuse. It was only after responders mentioned Tennessee that folks started going off on that subject.

You know, this UConn/TN thing is like all longstanding feuds. Kind of like the Northern Ireland situation, if you remember that mess. One side would say, "You started it with 'X'," and the other would say, "No. You started it with 'Y'." And that would go on and on and on. You don't make progress until both sides are willing to say, "To hell with who started it. That was 50 years ago. Let's move on." If Geno doesn't want to, that's his choice and I respect that. (How could any of us not respect that?). But it does not mean I have to agree with it.

But what you are citing aren't the reason why some -- who also have a right to express - say it is sick. No one is calling you sick for wanting to schedule Tenn. The original poster si suggesting Geno is petty for not wanting the game. Calling someone "petty" is personal, is it not? So the OP can get personal and imply Geno is being petty and those who think Geno was dissed terribly by Tenn don't have a right to think the OP went overboard and doesn't care if Geno or his family was hurt?

I don't agree with your pov in bold. Though again I don't think the person's post is sick. But calling someone petty is taking things personal which the OP seems like he or she didn't intend on doing.

Calling someone petty is not an observation. IMO it is personal. I don't think total intent was there but maybe others did.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oh, but I do understand. Contrary to what you might think, I was a UConn fan at the time and was as outraged as anyone here. At least I thought I was, although seeing people's comments now, maybe some out-outraged me at the time and I was just too upset to notice.

Anyway.....
Many of the people at TN who caused that issue are gone. Hell, the principal instigator is dead. Surely no one suspects that Holly is responsible for the attacks on UConn during the Maya fiasco. Maybe the problem is that folks here have taken on the mantle of hurt for "poor Maya" and "poor Maya's mom" and "Poor Geno" and "Poor UConn WCBB," and I am not sure that any of those personages asked you to store up decades of hurt on their behalf.

But what I remember from that era was the pleasure of watching a beautiful, highly skilled and intelligent young women become the absolute best she could be at her chosen sport. I remember seeing her mother enjoying all the special moments that Maya brought to the court. I remember a coach, younger then, celebrating championships earned by a team that played the way he taught them. I remember a WCBB program that even then was celebrated as one of the best and was well on its way to being the only game in town. In other words, last time, I checked, all four, having taken the high road throughout the ensuing years, are doing wonderfully. (Wait. Can't say that for sure about Maya's mom, since I don't know her, but I have no reason to think otherwise).

And know this: I watch WCBB and enjoy it when TN loses. I hope they make it to the Final Four so UConn can demolish them. I have met some of their fans and based on the way they treat UCOnn fans, the ones I have met are a$$h@&*s. But I, for one, will never want "anything but the worst of all things" for that university or its people. Sorry, but at this point in my life, I just cannot work up enough hate for anyone or anything to justify saying that.
Appreciate your perspective, as always. So when I wrote "you" I actually didn't mean you- just the "them" that don't have your perspective. :D:D:D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The golfer Don January used to respond to hecklers with a smile and "___k you very much" said so that the first syllable was barely audible and was taken to be the word "thank" instead of ... you know. He said it didn't accomplish anything but it made him feel better.

I've always thought profanity was the last resort for those with small vocabularies.

Looks like you would be wrong.

Why it’s a good sign if you curse a lot

Reaction Score
Drinking the Orange Kool Aid?

Of course it didn’t say anything “specifically”. This is from the Syracuse Propaganda – sorry, “Sports Information” department. How did you think they would spin it? Seriously? Because in the national press they took a beating, so a little downplaying and damage control would not be a surprise.

And of course Breanna didn't day much. They're taught that at Connecticut, unlike at Syracuse where the "coach" allowed his players to call out Geno and the team in the media leading up to eth game, which culminated in the famous Michaels' tripping incident.

There’s already a link posted to a more grownup article than Syracuse's from the Indy Star; so here’s a different one by Mechelle Voepel from the ESPN archives. Considering this is ESPN, it’s a pretty bold article and much more objective.

How Colgate made Breanna Stewart's homecoming game possible

"Which leaves us to speculate what the real reason(s) are that Syracuse turned down UConn. Because when the top program in your sport wants to come to your gym -- and almost certainly guarantee your biggest attendance of the season -- then "it didn't fit in our schedule" seems preposterous. The request came more than a year ago."

I can only assume that you're very new and don't remember any of the nonsense that has gone on in the past. There's a long and colorful history:

By the way I was going to call bs on the Syracuse Propaganda – sorry, “Sports Information” department’s assertion that their schedule is filled out two years in advance, seeing as Connecticut, the biggest program in the country, just scheduled Gabby’s homecoming game this week. But then I realized that there probably is a two year backlog to schedule Sienna and Stoney Brook and Coppin and Niagara before Maryland gets them.

Besides I have to give a shout out to Coach Hillsman; he did schedule Connecticut this year. Well, actually, Central Connecticut. There's probably a two-year wait for them as well

I was responding to the article that was presented to me and I responded appropriately and stand by what I said. Don't have any reason to drink orange Kool-aid. Don't even like Kool-aid. Went to UConn, though, and have loved watching the team since the early nineties. In no way was I defending Syracuse. Create any straw men you like. Dress them in orange if you like. What I said was that it was more appropriate to call it a snub than an insult. So, if you know an insult that the Syracuse coach has said about any UConn player ever, let me know about it.

Reaction Score
The Cuse.png
Coach Q: UConn??? We don't need no stinkin' UConn!!!

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You would be wrong.

It is not a personal grudge. It is not pettiness. It's justifiable honor.

The high ground IS to NOT ever schedule them again. EVER!

[mod edit: personal insult]

Good to see you peaking at just the right time meyers7 ;)

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
But what you are citing aren't the reason why some -- who also have a right to express - say it is sick. No one is calling you sick for wanting to schedule Tenn. The original poster si suggesting Geno is petty for not wanting the game. Calling someone "petty" is personal, is it not? So the OP can get personal and imply Geno is being petty and those who think Geno was dissed terribly by Tenn don't have a right to think the OP went overboard and doesn't care if Geno or his family was hurt?

I don't agree with your pov in bold. Though again I don't think the person's post is sick. But calling someone petty is taking things personal which the OP seems like he or she didn't intend on doing.

Calling someone petty is not an observation. IMO it is personal. I don't think total intent was there but maybe others did.
LOL, personal?
Suggesting that a person I absolutely admire to take the high road is having a personal agenda against them? SMH
Associating (1) act as potentially being petty does not mean that is a full representation of the character of the person, it relates only to the one act committed.. Geno is Human and can make an error like anyone of us.. Get over it already, my post was never individually about Tennessee.. It was more in response to Syracuse.. Duncanville & Tennessee were added afterward to Illustrate how those who does not like my beloved coach, could use those opportunities to paint a picture on Geno's Character.. This is why I see no value in reacting in an enclusive manner...

JS

Reaction Score
Who said it's not within anyone's rights? What if you don't agree with that OP's opinion and think he or she was initially speaking of Tenn too?. You are :"allowed" to express that opinion are you not? Or is it only okay when you or the OP say-so? [etc]
Hoophuskee - Kindly dial back the hostility a notch.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Colgate got a pretty good deal thanks to Syracuse saying no last year. I assume (hope) Kyla Irwin will play all four years and hopefully her senior year she will get to play in her hometown at Penn State. I seem to remember that in his the early days at UConn Geno asked Rene Portland for a game (they were the beast of the east in WCBB then) and she said no - and they haven't played except in tournaments since then. If not Bucknell is the next closest and although they are a tourney team this year it wouldn't be quite the same.

Reaction Score
Colgate got a pretty good deal thanks to Syracuse saying no last year. I assume (hope) Kyla Irwin will play all four years and hopefully her senior year she will get to play in her hometown at Penn State. I seem to remember that in his the early days at UConn Geno asked Rene Portland for a game (they were the beast of the east in WCBB then) and she said no - and they haven't played except in tournaments since then. If not Bucknell is the next closest and although they are a tourney team this year it wouldn't be quite the same.

They played Penn State in the last few years since Washington became coach. Penn State gave Uconn a good game too.

Reaction Score
For some people 'asking twice amounts to begging'. So, Uconn does not beg! Not much to come after there! As for the game- that never happened-- with Cuse, I can understand their Program refusing to schedule it for selfish reasons. By playing Uconn they would have given us a platform to showcase Steward, an open window for local recruits, etc. It was a no win situation for them. This isn't so much about an individual player as it is about building your house and securing enough materials. Now it is Cuse's time to ask for a game- if they want one to happen. If Geno says NO. Remember when ... well that would be petty. I doubt he would go there.
Uconn will play anyone anywhere is a bit trite. The irony for us is that we are more dependent on the good of the usual suspects-- top dogs-- to play than they are to play us. At least until the AAC becomes better.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I don't think a case be made for this. I think it rather ridiculous actually. I think the case is more of not wanting such a close geographical rival which could affect their bottomline.

Maybe, maybe not: the following quote is from an article in written in 2011 that originated in the Boston Globe. (Note - - I don't know the date of the original article in the Globe.

While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did - to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Do you mean Tenn? If so, I agree (certainly not all BYers do) that it would be great if a game could be scheduled. But I think your point is one-sided. First, we're not sure that Holly and Tenn are on board. Second, Geno has said that Tenn must apologize to Maya and her mom. Whatever the "facts" in this situation (and what are "facts" after all these years?), that was Geno's stand, and, as a gesture of noblesse oblige, I doubt very much that he will back down. That's not pettiness...that's a matter of honor and of supporting your player. But in any case, IIRC, Geno has mentioned that something might be in the works with Tenn in the future.

Oh, so you mean Syracuse (from subsequent comments and the game tonight)? Again, they insulted one of Geno's players. He's passionate about that and it's he who is rising above pettiness by trying to teach fellow coaches that it's not about the coaches, but the players.
Syracuse did not insult any Connecticut player, Coach Q just refused to schedule Connecticut so that Breanna Stewart could play a game in her hometown her Sr. year. That is neither insulting nor disrespectful. I happen to agree with Coach Q, that if Stewie wanted to play in the Carrier Dome, which is about 10 minutes from her parents house, then she should have gone to Syracuse. He was under no obligation to accommodate either Stiewie or Connecticut and he didn't. As for the whole TN kerfuffle, Pat Summitt is dead, Maya Moore is long gone from Connecticut and I'm sure her Mom doesn't care about any of it at this point. No one but Connecticut fans and ESPiN are clamoring for another game against TN, they aren't an elite program anymore, hell they aren't even a very good team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Syracuse did not insult any Connecticut player, Coach Q just refused to schedule Connecticut so that Breanna Stewart could play a game in her hometown her Sr. year. That is neither insulting nor disrespectful. I happen to agree with Coach Q, that if Stewie wanted to play in the Carrier Dome, which is about 10 minutes from her parents house, then she should have gone to Syracuse. He was under no obligation to accommodate either Stiewie or Connecticut and he didn't. As for the whole TN kerfuffle, Pat Summitt is dead, Maya Moore is long gone from Connecticut and I'm sure her Mom doesn't care about any of it at this point. No one but Connecticut fans and ESPiN are clamoring for another game against TN, they aren't an elite program anymore, hell they aren't even a very good team.
How can you be so "sure" Maya's mom doesn't care? Is it OK for us to care for her?

Reaction Score
If Q is under no such obligation to agree to Stewart's homecoming, why is Geno under any obligation to schedule Syracuse in the future when he clearly has no problems putting together an elite non conference schedule?

It should also be noted Syracuse was apparently not supportive of UConn getting added to the ACC when it came down adding us and Louisville a couple years ago. If any Power 5 team wants to play us so bad let their President's and conference commish know that the greatest women's team on the planet is of value to their league. Perhaps it would have saved Maryland from being a 3 seed.

UConn owes Syracuse nothing. And in the list of petty things in college sports the last decade, this barely registers a yawn. I would suggest to the OP, get a thicker skin.

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Of course Hillsman didn't have an obligation to schedule a game with UConn. But it would have been a common courtesy to the Stewart family and the larger Syracuse community that had followed her career to have done so. And has been mentioned before, it's likely his own players would have enjoyed playing in front of a larger crowd than the 350 that came to see them play instead against Coppin State.

Now, I know this would have been hard for him, and perhaps a bit politically incorrect, but I would have respected Q more if he had been more publicly honest about not scheduling the game because he was unhappy Stewie didn't attend Syracuse, rather than the nonsense about not being able to "accommodate" UConn's request. He abviously knew four years in advance when Stewie would be a senior, and he's been in the game long enough, and knows Auriemma well enough, to know that the Huskies try and schedule these homecoming games for their seniors

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
If Q is under no such obligation to agree to Stewart's homecoming, why is Geno under any obligation to schedule Syracuse in the future when he clearly has no problems putting together an elite non conference schedule?

It should also be noted Syracuse was apparently not supportive of UConn getting added to the ACC when it came down adding us and Louisville a couple years ago. If any Power 5 team wants to play us so bad let their President's and conference commish know that the greatest women's team on the planet is of value to their league. Perhaps it would have saved Maryland from being a 3 seed.

UConn owes Syracuse nothing. And in the list of petty things in college sports the last decade, this barely registers a yawn. I would suggest to the OP, get a thicker skin.
LOL, They are no locks in this world strong enough to imprison the truth...
My skin is perfectly made to handle both wisdom and the opposite thereof..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom