Just Seem Like Pettiness to me Coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just Seem Like Pettiness to me Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All players, all coaches, the University and the BY were all insulted.
Oh, big deal. We have the best team in the history of the world and we are that sensitive? We crush other teams on the court. No wonder they get a little upset.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There was no insult in that article. Breanna didn't seem to consider it important, it said, specifically.
There were many article including one in which Breanna was quoted as being "disappointed". This article uses the word snubbed. Insult, snubbed, disappointed=Syracuse had an opportunity to do the right thing and did not.
Perfectly within "cuse" right to say no, but not the right thing to do IMO and that of many others.
Doyel: Finally, UConn drama — star's Syracuse snub

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I consider myself one of the biggest UCONN women basketball fan there is
And I know that no one that walks this earth is perfect by any means..

But I just do not see the need for ANY Coach (Even if he or she is my Favorite) to hold personal grudges and refuse to schedule and play against another school simply because of some previous wrong doing or perceived injustice, That is just pettiness... Rise above please..

What is wrong with taking the high-ground if for no other reason, for the love of the game and for the fans who wouldn't mind seeing the match-up.. Why make it personal and lower ourselves to that level.. two wrongs have never made a right..
When there are limited options and you hurt yourself, then yes I agree, however in this case, I do not agree at all. UConn has not "lamented anything" nor dwelled on issues. They have moved on to other opportunities with other vibrant programs like MD, SC, ND, DePaul, Texas and Baylor and these have helped grow the game. This issue has only come up due mostly to the Stewie home game issue. From a competitive perspective, it really is not an issue. Despite Syracuse being a tad under seeded at an 8, their record against top competition is not good. They beat the middle tier teams and lose to the top teams. There is no reason to even continue the dialogue.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seeking Agreement?
I stated very clearly my opinion on the issue of refusing to schedule a team
if you believe that to be stirring the pot, that is your interpretation..
I have better things to do with my time than to instigate and stir a pot..
you made statements to which I responded without any malice..
But that's alright, I wont change who I am when others disagree with my opinions or views on life..
the fact that I'm responding to you still is more out of respect for you, they were a few other comments on here I chose not to dignify with a response..
I appreciate the respect and feel likewise. Those few other comments which you choose not to "dignify", I respect immensely also. In this matter I'm in total agreement with their POV.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Regarding Cuse- we gain nothing from playing them in the future. IF Q can get them to be a perennial Top 15 - then they add value. But to play them because they were part of the old Big East will not help our non conference schedule. DePaul, adds value not because Doug is Geno's friend, but they are consistently Top 20. Harry Peretta is Geno's friend, we don't play Villanova anymore because they don't help the schedule.

Regarding Tennessee - the names are a rivalry but in reality we haven't been on the same court in about 10 years. Holly will not apologize on behalf of Pat so there is the beginning and the end. If we were to play them, hopefully it would be because they are highly ranked and not because they were Tennessee.

The reality is teams have come and gone from our schedule for various reasons- Arizona State, Duke, North Carolina, Oklahoma(coming back in 2018), Texas A&M, etc. Geno wants to schedule the best teams to prepare our program. He won't beg them to play us.

Reaction Score
Once in a lifetime a player like Stewie comes around. Her length, her skills, her down-to-earthliness her great parents instilled in her, her competitiveness. When Stewie leaves the WNBA, a great soul will have passed through our halls, and the revered halls of every venue she graced along the way.

Stewie earned every honor ever bestowed on her. Her Mom and Dad were great developers and supporters who sent her around the block and into a champion.

Coach Geno dared to bother Stewie, to challenge her, to cut, sand, and mold her raw talent into the amazing talent ever seen in College Basketball. Who else received the National Championships 4 times while also being bestowed MVPs that could not be denied?

How much did Stewie give to all of us, to every team, to every fan?

Stewie deserved for all of us to step aside when she came toward us, humbly dribbling low, an inviting smile floating across her face. She never demanded it. Yes, this truly great one deserved this treatment.

Now it was basketball's turn to give back to her. One parting gesture of thanks, girl, for what you've done for all of us, and for what you achieved that you set out to achieve for yourownself!

And instead of giving back, Quenten Hillsman's tiny mind was so small, he couldn't fit even a tiny step-aside acknowledgement of greatness passing through our midst. All of our midst.

This is not about Geno, or whether Syracuse had a place to acknowledge greatness in their schedule.

This was one of the worst displays in history of a coach displaying they have zero room for greatness on their court.

And Quenten Hillsman's record may always, throughout history, never have greatness on his court ever, just as he recorded in that narcissistic decision.

The rest of us, including Stewie and Geno, walk on knowing greatness is inside, no matter what lies ahead outside.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There were many article including one in which Breanna was quoted as being "disappointed". This article uses the word snubbed. Insult, snubbed, disappointed=Syracuse had an opportunity to do the right thing and did not.
Perfectly within "cuse" right to say no, but not the right thing to do IMO and that of many others.
Yes, snubbed is a better word for it. But we are going to beat them by about 70 today. They will have to get over that. I think Breanna, the coaches, and we can get over the snub.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not specifically in defense of Syracuse, more a critique of UCONN, Breanna Stewart homecoming should have been long before Syracuse had an opportunity to fill up its schedule. Stewie was the National POY as a sophomore that is plenty of time to ask Syracuse and if the answer is no then you publically shame them into it. Kia and Gabby will get homecoming games next year and I think UCLA is back on the schedule so KLS will get a homecoming. Napheesa? Azura?

Reaction Score
I consider myself one of the biggest UCONN women basketball fan there is
And I know that no one that walks this earth is perfect by any means..

But I just do not see the need for ANY Coach (Even if he or she is my Favorite) to hold personal grudges and refuse to schedule and play against another school simply because of some previous wrong doing or perceived injustice, That is just pettiness... Rise above please..

What is wrong with taking the high-ground if for no other reason, for the love of the game and for the fans who wouldn't mind seeing the match-up.. Why make it personal and lower ourselves to that level.. two wrongs have never made a right..

1. TN tried to bring down UConn's program w/false allegations. That is fact. There's no need to schedule them unless they ask & at that point it will be Geno's decision.

2. Syracuse, for whatever reason, did not want to schedule us for Stewart's senior season even though almost all the schools in particular geographies to our seniors do. That is on them. Like Geno said - we ask once, and that's it.

How is any of that being petty?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh, big deal. We have the best team in the history of the world and we are that sensitive? We crush other teams on the court. No wonder they get a little upset.
Talking TN. You have no clue.

Reaction Score

I'd forgotten about this article. Thanks.

I am not sure I would go out of my way to schedule a game with Syracuse especially when there are so many top 20 teams they can schedule for their non-conference games.

You are assuming UCONN can even get on Syracuse's schedule, even if they wanted to. I think they schedule their games 2 seasons out.

Reaction Score
I think Geno made his point very clear, Syracuse had a "right" to turn down the offer, and deny Breanna's homecoming game.
"We don't ask twice" was him stating that Syracuse will most likely not be scheduled for any out of conference games, ever.
We also have to remember that Syracuse and Pittsburgh bolting the old Big East destroyed a great league, and UCONN remembers that too

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
of

I don't think that most people here have a problem with you stating your opinion. I believe that UConn should schedule Syracuse, so be it, that is your opinion. But when you attach a charge of pettiness,of "making it personal" and "lowering yourself" none of which you have any proof of - that's attacking without proof.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
1. TN tried to bring down UConn's program w/false allegations. That is fact. There's no need to schedule them unless they ask & at that point it will be Geno's decision.

2. Syracuse, for whatever reason, did not want to schedule us for Stewart's senior season even though almost all the schools in particular geographies to our seniors do. That is on them. Like Geno said - we ask once, and that's it.

How is any of that being petty?
I think I have already addressed this but let me attempt one more time to clarify the intent of my original post..
With reference to Tennessee, I didn't really have a problem looking past that as it was the first incident that I was aware of that Geno responded to an injustice.. What I'm concerned with is now there has been a second reported instance in Duncanville and potentially a third in Syracuse..

I personally would prefer for him to not get sucked negatively into other peoples actions..
I have never been the type of person who saw it necessary to respond to the wicked intentions of others,
that to me would be pettiness.. If that is not what has actually occurred then great, but if it is, It is my wish for him to be the bigger person in these situations..

Play whomever, beat the crap out of them on the court, all the while giving them the highest of compliments each time.. with a huge smile on his face.. Leaving no room for anyone to smear his reputation..

Reaction Score
I agree the coaches have not been hurt, You have made my point for me, the only losers here are the kids playing the game, they are the ones who lose out on the opportunity because of a coaches actions and us fans as well

I agree with coco and some others. Geno's responsibility is to UCONN. He has not hurt the kids from UCONN. He has no responsibility for other schools. He has every right to say "he won't ask twice." Why should he keep asking? It seems you want him to to fit your own agenda. I can't believe you think he should keep asking once a team says no and once he stiops asking you want to call it "petty." . He has the premiere number 1 team and has to keep asking a team to play him?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think I have already addressed this but let me attempt one more time to clarify the intent of my original post..
Play whomever, beat the crap out of them on the court, all the while giving them the highest of compliments each time.. with a huge smile on his face.. Leaving no room for anyone to smear his reputation..
Two set of lyrics come to mind with what you are advocating.

Back Stabbers-the O'Jays
All the time they want to take your place
The back stabbers (back stabbers)
(They smile in your face)
All the time they want to take your place
The back stabbers (back stabbers)
All you fellows who have someone and you really care, yeah, yeah
Then it's all of you fellows who better beware, yeah yeah
Somebody's out to get your lady.

Fake Love-Drake
Yeah, yeah
I've been down so long it look like up to me
They look up to me
I got fake people showin' fake love to me
Straight up to my face, straight up to my face
I've been down so long it look like up to me
They look up to me
I got fake people showin' fake love to me
Straight up to my face, straight up to my face.

I would always rather have the guy like Geno where if he doesn't like you- you'll know because he will tell you. BTW Geno is already "playing whomever and beating the crap out of them on the court."- Geno's reputation is just fine.

Reaction Score
Wow! Poster says that it is good to take high road and is called sickening. I'm not sure I agree with the view, but that's more than a bit much.

I want to know what UConn player was insulted. Could someone please inform me on that? Thanks.

I'd like to know why the original poster feels a need to press his or her personal beliefs on others and just because it doesn't fit his or her agenda - he or she calls it "petty?"

Geno holds no obligation to play Syracuse or Tenn. The OP didn't get hurt by what Geno feels Tenn said about him and his family. How does the OP know how much hurt Geno felt and his family felt with the Pat comments? I think maybe in part that is where the "sickening"comes from. The OP doesn't seem to care if Geno or his family is hurt if he or she is suggesting Tenn -which posters could have interpreted he or she was. He or she is more interested in watching a good game at any cost?

As for Cuse-- Geno has a rule "don't ask twice." That makes him petty? Why should he ask more than once? What team out there should he be so desperate to keep asking? The other team could ask. However with Cuse they don't have many fans, usually they aren't that good and they have a history of playing dirty against us. Geno's responsibility is to his team. Not to the OP's morality or right and wrong. What team do you think he should keep asking for a game?

Reaction Score
The golfer Don January used to respond to hecklers with a smile and "___k you very much" said so that the first syllable was barely audible and was taken to be the word "thank" instead of ... you know. He said it didn't accomplish anything but it made him feel better.

I've always thought profanity was the last resort for those with small vocabularies.

Reaction Score
I agree the coaches have not been hurt, You have made my point for me, the only losers here are the kids playing the game, they are the ones who lose out on the opportunity because of a coaches actions and us fans as well
What gives you the impression that the kids are losing out. UConn, like every other school, has an out of conference schedule and there are hundreds of teams to schedule games with. What is so special to THESE KIDS whereas you'd feel that "they are losing out" by not scheduling Tennessee or Syracuse? Are either of these two schools so SPECIAL or relevant to any of the kids coming into the UConn program? Maybe Breanna might have wanted a game up there because she lived in the area and was recruited by them but neither school owns the national spotlight and has played at such a high level that there is any sort of NEED to play them. Tennessee started being irrelevant about the time they stopped scheduling UConn. It seems since then, that they are slowly becoming just a "nice" program, instead of a truly special program. There are always the Oklahomas and the Louisvilles and Kentuckys and Ohio States and Notre Dames and South Carolinas and North Carolinas and scores of other schools that are continuing to grow and become relevant. To make such a big deal out of either Tennessee or Syracuse not being on the schedule for whatever reason is silly. They refused to play or schedule UConn back when and somehow it's Geno who is the issue? The only kids who may be losing out are those playing for these schools (Tennessee and Syracuse) who won't get to play the Huskies unless, by chance they meet in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd like to know why the original poster feels a need to press his or her personal beliefs on others and just because it doesn't fit his or her agenda - he or she calls it "petty?"

Geno holds no obligation to play Syracuse or Tenn. The OP didn't get hurt by what Geno feels Tenn said about him and his family. How does the OP know how much hurt Geno felt and his family felt with the Pat comments? I think maybe in part that is where the "sickening"comes from. The OP doesn't seem to care if Geno or his family is hurt if he or she is suggesting Tenn -which posters could have interpreted he or she was. He or she is more interested in watching a good game at any cost?

As for Cuse-- Geno has a rule "don't ask twice." That makes him petty? Why should he ask more than once? What team out there should he be so desperate to keep asking? The other team could ask. However with Cuse they don't have many fans, usually they aren't that good and they have a history of playing dirty against us. Geno's responsibility is to his team. Not to the OP's morality or right and wrong. What team do you think he should keep asking for a game?

As for the OP pressing his or her beliefs, that's what we all do. That is the point of a forum. Describing some action as "petty" is perfectly within someone's rights. No particular coach was mentioned, so it was not ad hominem. Ad hominem is bad argument and that's what saying
"[removed in quoted post by mod edit]", is.

As for what Geno should do, my personal feelings is he should do whatever is in his mind best for the team. I don't necessarily agree with the OP, I object to attacking the speaker instead of the speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Regarding Cuse- we gain nothing from playing them in the future. IF Q can get them to be a perennial Top 15 - then they add value. But to play them because they were part of the old Big East will not help our non conference schedule. DePaul, adds value not because Doug is Geno's friend, but they are consistently Top 20. Harry Peretta is Geno's friend, we don't play Villanova anymore because they don't help the schedule.

Regarding Tennessee - the names are a rivalry but in reality we haven't been on the same court in about 10 years. Holly will not apologize on behalf of Pat so there is the beginning and the end. If we were to play them, hopefully it would be because they are highly ranked and not because they were Tennessee.

The reality is teams have come and gone from our schedule for various reasons- Arizona State, Duke, North Carolina, Oklahoma(coming back in 2018), Texas A&M, etc. Geno wants to schedule the best teams to prepare our program. He won't beg them to play us.
I agree with most of your points but Geno occasionally schedules a game against someone who is not necessarily going to challenge the team and make them better. This years schedule was amazingly tough, with a lot of top tier teams but there was a couple that were far from what anyone would say is challenging. If UConn doesn't play Villanova again, it'll probably be because they aren't that good anymore and he doesn't want to crush his good friend's team. I'm not sure that they won't show up on future schedules but only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom